Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.42&0.43] The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - It's a mine... it's-a not yours!  (Read 79497 times)

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stumbling block, for the moment, is that there would still be 24 different types of Tribute building anyway, since I can't specify "this building can be made from any of these six specific materials."  I can have a script that deconstructs the building if its materials are wrong, but if I'm going to script it I might as well go with a single building type and script the outcomes of reactions.

I was going to say, why not just make them reactions, and the tribute building can be built from whatever stone or materials. If you want to make it costlier, I'd focus on increasing the cost of the reaction, rather than the building itself.

Alternatively, require the building to be built from gemstones.
The silver is responsible for this How?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Suggestion:
- A new metal (vein) that spawns strong enemies 100% of the time.
- A new gem (single stone) that spawns a megabeast-like enemy 100% of the time.

You like deep steel? Fight for it.
You want an arkenstone? Defeat it's guardian.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Suggestion:
- A new metal (vein) that spawns strong enemies 100% of the time.
- A new gem (single stone) that spawns a megabeast-like enemy 100% of the time.

You like deep steel? Fight for it.
You want an arkenstone? Defeat it's guardian.
I like that idea, which actually ropes in an idea I was going to put into a completely separate mod.  No one has seen that mod yet since (1) I haven't gotten it up to set-your-computer-on-fire-less-than-100%-of-the-time reliability and (2) it didn't have a decent backstory.  This at least lets me piggyback on the embers-of-creation backstory that already brought us awakened stones, pet rocks and gem vines.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I checked the More Stone, Metals, Gem Mod, and the only new layer stone is Feldspar.  Add Feldspar variants of Awakened Stones and Pet Rocks would spam error messages at anyone not using that mod, so the correct answer seems to be leaving that stone barren.

And glad that you're enjoying the Pet Rocks :)

Trying to mod on my own, I'm gonna add the Feldspar variants in and see if it works. Thanks!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

3) the general uselessness of benign awakened stones (though lots of vanilla creatures are similar in their lack of explicit uses, so~).
Just thought I'd mention that tame Awakened Stones can be trained as hunting or war animals.  Be careful, though, because they cave-adapt.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just thought I'd mention that tame Awakened Stones can be trained as hunting or war animals.  Be careful, though, because they cave-adapt.

Oh yeah? How do they compare with dogs?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Oh yeah? How do they compare with dogs?
I would let you know if I'd ever actually set up a functional kennel :)
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Another suggestion: Make slade diggable, but make it spawn a random demon. Creature ID for them is DEMON_X, starting with DEMON_1 to whichever demon number you permitted in worldgen, the norm is ~25.

Same would work with FORGOTTEN_BEAST_1 ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Another suggestion: Make slade diggable, but make it spawn a random demon. Creature ID for them is DEMON_X, starting with DEMON_1 to whichever demon number you permitted in worldgen, the norm is ~25.

I'm not sure that would work as intended.
But I think I'm going to work on generalizing tesb-mining.lua so that it's easier to test wacky ideas mid-game.
Just got back, updating:

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. That's fairly sudden, and idk on the lore behind demon-in-a-rock.

Though the idea of escalating baddies is rather exciting. Would there be a way to have some kind of dig-counter, where eventually you spawn something like, Awakened Behemoth, where it's a massive thing of stone that announces itself with a cave-in of surrounding rock?

'cause that would be awesome.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I'm not sure that would work as intended.
But I think I'm going to work on generalizing tesb-mining.lua so that it's easier to test wacky ideas mid-game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other tricks I used to make mining harder: Gas-syndrome rocks that make sick/kill, undiggable veins (people didn't like those, because it messed up their fortress designs), single gems with aquifers (my favourite, they are fun).

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Though I'm perfectly willing to compromise for playability, the mod is more conceptual than gamey.  What would the consequences be if there were embers-of-creation left behind?  Still haven't decided what happens to an ember that landed in water, though it wouldn't be constrained to my self-imposed rule that a mined creature fit inside the tile.

Requiring the creature to fit inside the tile doesn't completely prevent huge monsters.  The "next level" of awakened stone will be a rocky wyrm that starts boulder-sized and expands to dragon-sized within a season.  Kill it... now.
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you can make hidden gems (aka spawn item:ROUGH), can't you add hidden items? A rusty sword. A magical shield. A clockwork crossbow, made of unknown origin. A slade helmet, that makes the wearer go berserk. A strangely-hot rod, allowing the wearer to throw fireballs. Etc.

If you dislike the idea, I take that one for myself. :P

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

If you can make hidden gems (aka spawn item:ROUGH), can't you add hidden items? A rusty sword. A magical shield. A clockwork crossbow, made of unknown origin. A slade helmet, that makes the wearer go berserk. A strangely-hot rod, allowing the wearer to throw fireballs. Etc.

If you dislike the idea, I take that one for myself. :P
The modtools/create-item.lua script can handle most inorganic items, though it's not set up for quality levels, cut gems, or anything with content.  So you can drop a standard-quality sword or crossbow, but not a book.  The magical items would require their own DFHackery to function, and I'm sure there are tools in the various script repositories around the forum.

One longer-term goal is to ask permission to re-purpose DigRoom.lua to let your miner find a several-tile-radius void that might contain various nasties.

One of the oddities of the current mining script is that the drop chances aren't independent of one another.  It is not like having an encounter table that says:

000-002 Awakened Stone
003-008 Hidden Gem
010-999 Nothing

It's more like

Table I:
000-002 Awakened Stone
003-999 Roll on Table II

Table II:
000-004 Hidden Gem
005-999 Nothing

It's trivial for two possibilities, but gets to be an issue if there are several outcomes or worse yet an arbitrary list.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [40.24] The Earth Strikes Back! v1.30 - Like mining, but with more bloodshed
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »

Getting close to a releasable v1.31, which among other things will make angry Awakened Stones more aggressive.

Even the first victim in the test fort was excited to see progress in developing the mod!

Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16