Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: Harder goblins in 2014 version  (Read 922 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Wanted: Harder goblins in 2014 version
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »

Hey all, I play DF quite a bit, but don't even have Dabbling in the Modding skill. I searched around a bit, and couldn't find what I wanted in DF2014.

Essentially I just want to make your average goblin siege more difficult. I want to give each goblin some starting skills, namely:
Armor User: Legendary
Shield User: Legendary
Discipline: Legendary
Dodger: Professional
Wrestler: Professional
Fighter: Professional

Can someone post a simple way to do this in the Raws. I do NOT want to change goblin size or add different types of goblins. Ideally I don't want to download DFhack either.

Thanks guys :)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Harder goblins in 2014 version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:29:34 pm »

There is a creature tag called [NATURAL_SKILL]

It takes two arguments, with the first being the skill token and the second being the skill level.

For example, cats have [NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:15], which makes them legendary climbers.

I believe that these tokens are close to what you are looking for. You just have to add them to the goblin creature file, which should be found in the file called 'creature_standard.txt'
Code: [Select]
[NATURAL_SKILL:ARMOR:15]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SHIELD:15]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:9]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:9]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:9]

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »

Thank you so much!

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:49:14 am »

You could also create new castes; most caste-level tags override creature tags (for instance, you could create a caste that was far stronger.)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »

You also could give them an extra pair of arms or tentacles that always make things harder.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:08 am »

You can also edit their entity.

Giving them steel making reactions (copy them from the MOUNTAIN entity) will improve their equipment a bit.

I don't know if removing their picks will prevent them from using copper or iron while preserving steel but if it does, you can also remove bronze making and have steel clad goblins.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »

You can also edit their entity.

Giving them steel making reactions (copy them from the MOUNTAIN entity) will improve their equipment a bit.

I don't know if removing their picks will prevent them from using copper or iron while preserving steel but if it does, you can also remove bronze making and have steel clad goblins.
Based off of the Kobold entity, the tokens [METAL_PREF] and [PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR] allows them to use metals from ores they've encountered. Then, giving a civ a reaction for something means that they just have unlimited amounts of it, which is why you can get steel stuff even if your civ doesn't have iron. Notably, by default Goblins don't actually have bronze, or any alloys, so you wouldn't need to remove it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia