Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432540 times)

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1245 on: August 01, 2015, 10:12:42 am »

muahahahaha!! ahh man. I'm gonna be killed aren't I?  :P
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:44 pm »

muahahahaha!! ahh man. I'm gonna be killed aren't I?  :P
Well, you ran away, so unless you get killed by a troglodyte or you accidentally fall into the lava in a tragic accident, or if you get hit by a stray bolt or accidentally stabbed by a spear, you'll probably stay alive.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:24 pm »

No work at all. Hardly any yesterday. Fuckin' Armok.

You guys are nuts. Also awesome.

It is terrifying. It is inevitable.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 08, 2015, 07:48:42 am »

Evidently we need more elven bone marrow.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: August 08, 2015, 08:08:07 am »

Evidently we need more elven bone marrow.

It's not dead, it's only hibernating.  ;)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 09, 2015, 12:35:53 am »

Yeah... Real life snatched me. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish this year, but I could try.
Or should I post the save? I feel like I should do it so that the fort keeps moving.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 12, 2015, 04:52:41 am »

Arise thread! Arise to haunt forums once again!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 12, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »

Yeah... I won't be able to finish this second year, but I finished Pyro's year. That counts, right?
Anyways, I'll post the save under this thing.

Journal of Mate the 888th, overseer of Doomforests
Standing on the bridge from where crundles used to be sacrificed on, I look into the caverns beyond.
Tribes of primitive humans, called "troglodytes" by some, roam the caves in search for the unlucky ones that got lost in the caves.
The bridge is less walked throught now, since the crundle sacrifices ended because of TechnoXan's threats. A screaming troglodyte is thrown down to the magma. The last offering to Armok for who knows how long. We have to please our God and follow our duty as priests and followers of Armok, but we also have to protect the fort.
The inquisition is weak now. At least weaker than it was before. Many good dwarves died, either fighting the beasts of the caverns or by the crundleshaggers' tricks. I once tought that going from being a simple "crazy zealot cult", one of many on this Armok-forsaken fort, to be the rulers of it was a great step forwards, but it really just drained us. Our priests are wounded and scared, both because of the monsters, and because we are a easier target when ruling this fort. And the most dangerous monster is the one that lays within another dwarf, waiting to maul its own.

I will leave the post as overseer of the fortress tomorrow. The Inquisiton has to regroup and rebuild itself. Now I can only think about the many things I couldn't finish.
So many things I planned.
So many things I did but turned out to be terribly wrong.

I left the purple overseer hat on Shortshanks' bedroom. He's a good dwarf. He'll be able to drive us out of this hole I dug ourselves into. I also left a list where it says some things that he should do.
I just have to... Sleep now.
I must rest...
It was so long since I sleep without fearing that the fort may crumble while I am in bed...
I mean, it still could crumble, but now it wouldn't be my fault.
But well, I just have to sleep now. This is my last day as overseer, I want to enjoy it as any old dwarf would. Drunken in a bed.

((Welp, here's the save. Good luck, Iamblichos. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11055 ))

In Shortshanks' room lays a paper note next to the purple rutile hat. It reads:

Well, Shortshanks. If you are reading this, then I am dead extremely drunk and probably out enjoying the rain for the first time in nearly two years. Yes. You will be the next overseer of this fortess, and I would like it if you did some of the things.

1-Find the stranded dwarves in the caverns before the troglodytes do.
2-Memoralize the ones that we can't reach in anticipation to their inevitable deaths.
3-Watch out for the troglodytes, they are vicious.
4-Try and rebuild the army. There are some good men left, but not enough.
5-Try to find out what's going on with the crippled macedwarf that refuses to grab his crutch and clothing.
6-If you want to, finish furnishing the temple.
7-Put the minotaur in the labrynth.
8-And most importantly, survive.
9-Oh, who the hell am I kidding. Do whatever you want, it's your fort now. Have !!FUN!!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 12, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »

OK... week is shaping up to be chaotic, but I'll take a look and see what' we've got.

Oh, who am I fooling... I know what we've got  :)

EDIT: Yep!  Having taken a look, we have random dwarf corpses strewn around, absolutely no organization of any kind, a fort large enough to make Durin look envious, wide open caverns, random dug out spots for no reason, crap strewn everywhere in all directions AND a broken tileset... it's the perfect succession fort.

Gentlemen, this is a proud day.  We have achieved Maximum Chaos.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:43:26 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:02 am »

It looks worse than Murdermachines, and Murdermachines is twice as old as this fort.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:26 pm »

It looks worse than Murdermachines, and Murdermachines is twice as old as this fort.

Obviously they aren't trying hard enough.  Good luck Iamblichos, You'll need it.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:18 pm »

Obviously they aren't trying hard enough.  Good luck Iamblichos, You'll need it.
It's no longer about luck. Tis about having a decent processor.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 13, 2015, 01:52:39 pm »

Honestly, that's my major concern.  I want to see if my machine is going to be able to do anything with this.  I'm at work for a few more hours, but if the gods are with me I will try to get at least a season under my belt tonight.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 13, 2015, 01:59:16 pm »

My name is Erush Flaxurn.  Everybody calls me Shortshanks.  I don't know why; I'm as tall as everyone else.  I'm an architect! I design lots of buildings and bridges and pretty things.  I like pretty things.  Some of my buildings are really neat.  At least they are when I draw them... I can't get people to build them.  I don't know why.

The other dwarves call me names sometimes, and I don't like that.  They say I'm not an architect, because I can't read or write so good.  Some dwarves are just not very nice.  I am so an architect!  I can design bridges and buildings and walls and towers and all kinds of things!  I try not to hold a grudge though.  My mother taught me grudges were for mean dwarves.  People who call other people mean names are the ones who hold grudges.  I try to like everybody.

So I was going to tell you a story.  Sorry.  Sometimes I forget what I was doing, and then I remember, and I do it, but people still yell because they say I was late or didn't finish it or do it right.  I think they just yell because they are mad.  So many people are always so mad.  I don't know why.

You might know my wife Doren.  She's so nice!  She's always been good to me and our kids.  She's a farmer, and she grows things.  I love Doren so much, I don't know what I would do if something happened to her.  We have three children.  They are good kids; they make me proud because they work hard.  I am always pleased when someone works hard.  It shows they care about what they are doing.  A lot of dwarves don't care.

I try to keep my head down.  I don't make a fuss.  Lots of things have gone on here.  Pretty bad things, really.  I try not to think about them.  I get upset when I think about the bad things, and then I feel sad.

Oh, right, my story.  So, it started when the old overseer Mate came running in and told me I was overseer.  I didn't believe him.  He's a mean dwarf anyway.  He used to call me stupid and put things in my beard when I wasn't looking.  But look... he gave me the purple hat and everything!  Then he told me Doren was lost in the caves.  Then he laughed and walked away.

I don't know how to be an overseer.  But I do know what this means...

Now they HAVE to build my buildings!

This is going to be fun!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 13, 2015, 02:20:36 pm »

Aww maaaaan!  :'( :'( Now I can't be mean to shortshanks, he reminds me too much of forest gump or that guy from flowers for algernon.  :)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 144