Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 430933 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1395 on: August 26, 2015, 11:55:47 pm »

I hope it's OK for a non-overseer to post from their dwarf's perspective? I downloaded the save to take a peek at the fort and found she had some interesting relatives, and had to comment on it.

----

This is a guineafowl-parchment paper. On the paper is a letter in dimple dye.

Little Brother,
Well, I've put this off long enough. I promised to write you, to bring you news from your son Bomrek, to tell you why the merchants weren't able to deliver our letters.

It's not good news. I'm sorry.

Bomrek has been dead for ten years. He died in battle, protecting this fortress. I couldn't find anyone who knew him personally, but apparently, ten years ago, Doomforests was nearly destroyed by a monster from the depths. Bomrek was among the ones who died fighting to protect the fortress.

I've gone to visit his grave. He has a basalt coffin in a chamber carved into the stone, laid to rest along with other warriors who died in that battle. They have honored him as one of their own. You will see him again, little brother, in Armok's halls. Your son died a hero; never forget that. It probably isn't much comfort to you, but at least we can be proud of him.

As for me, I am well. I am working with bone, as always. You can tell Mother I still disagree with her; her beloved stonecraft may be more traditional, but stone is so unforgiving. Perhaps it's something about this place, or perhaps Bomrek's spirit is giving me inspiration, but I've found the time to really hone my skills here. If I can talk them into it, I'll try to get one of the elves from the caravan to bring you one of the crundle-skull totems I've been making along with the usual bone practice bolts. No guarantees, though; I'll be lucky just to convince them to deliver the letter. You know how elves are.

I've decided to stay here. I do hope you're not too angry with me, little brother. I can't really explain why. I feel I'm truly content here. Take care of Mother; give her my love.

Your sister Callista.

---

A middle-aged dwarf sat at a table, absent-mindedly tapping her fingers, gazing into the distance. She hadn't told her brother the whole truth, she knew. Oh, yes, Bomrek was dead; and yes, there had been a beast; but she had not actually been able to learn exactly how her nephew had died. She remembered Bomrek from his youth, a solemn boy who swore he would make something of himself, then a young adult learning to handle a pick, determined to dig his fortune out of the rock of some distant frontier outpost. Had he truly died a hero? She didn't know. But to say he had--to give what comfort she could--that was an older sister's duty to her family, and so much more important now that she had decided not to return home.

Here, she felt, she could be part of something important. She would carve the bones into beautiful things, useful things, each bone with its history, each one once part of a living thing. The graveyards here were full; there was no mistaking that. And yet--that very idea, the danger, the excitement, attracted her. Here was a place where history could be made, where heroes and monsters were still part of everyday life. As for the prospect of occupying one of those coffins--well, she reflected, she worked with bones every day, turning death into something beautiful. Maybe carving bones was really just a metaphor for life.

Or perhaps she was just getting sober again. Yes, that was probably it. Perhaps there was still some barley wine left....

The dwarf rose, rolled up the scroll and dripped some candle wax onto the edge to seal it. Then she put it in a pouch and left the room, in search of barley wine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:34:55 am by Callista »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 27, 2015, 04:57:46 am »

Nah I don't think anyone will mind you doing that.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:02 am »

Nah I don't think anyone will mind you doing that.

For some time, the thread was filled mostly with these.

See? Even demonic creatures forgotten millenia ago and cave birds hate crundles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 27, 2015, 08:55:24 am »

Datk one, that was... wow. Well played!

Caĺlista, nobody will mind. Your writing is very enjoyable.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 27, 2015, 08:14:01 pm »

The dwarven caravan exploded and left.

I made a few weapons for our military. They now all have steel or silver weapons of at least exceptional quality. Their armor is still shitty, but I'm waiting until I'm legendary to start making all the armor we'll be needing. Why are our arms and armor so shitty? Have we never had a legendary smith before?

Migrants! All useless, but a couple have weapon skills, which gives me an idea. I've drafted ten useless migrants into a new squad of recruits.

Today I saw a dwarf walking around who looked like one massive scar. Her face was one solid lump of gnarled scar tissue, with only a hole for a mouth. Her limbs were mangled and bent. She must have been stuck by a particularly terrible forgotten beast poison. How did she survive!?

THEY'RE BREEDING
Which gives me an idea... Catch them and use them for turrets!

It is now winter. My turn is coming to a close. The liaison has been following the mayor around for months now.

I'm now a grand master armorsmith. I'm almost there!

YESSSSSSS
IT'S ARMORSMITHING TIME

Our steel stocks won't quite be enough, but it'll take me a long time to fill the whole order and that should be enough time to make the rest of the steel.

A stonecrafter got a strange mood. He's making something out of marble. It'll probably be worthless.

I was RIGHT. It was a scepter with some pictures of animals on it. Worthless.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy shit! Kumil, our only elite marksdwarf, just leaped over the magma pipe and in through the magma drain from the former bedrooms! He only had a few bolts in his quiver, though, so after he ran out he just started beating the shit out of them with his crossbow! I think he's in a martial trance! He killed all but three of them before leaving through the door I unlocked. I locked it again behind him. The only wound he took was some melting to the stomach, but he lived so he'll be fine.

A tarantula with poison bite appeared in the third cavern, but it's trapped behind some mushrooms. Dumbass.

It's been a long year. I'm taking a quick break.

Oh hey, the liaison is finally meeting with Pencil Art.

((I forgot to take a screenshot of him saying he wanted to elevate us))

Really?

Boring, what else.

Lye and steel.

It had better say 'lye and steel'.

You're not getting shit from us unless your wagons don't explode next year.

Okay.

Okay, we'll trade the whole caravan next year for a few masterwork aluminum crafts.

Get out of my fort.

Wait, he forgot to promote a noble! Do we have an absent baron?

Apparently so. I'm not surprised, given this fort's history. We're now a duchy.

Our steelmaking industry has been hindered by the fact that we've run out of flux. I've ordered a bunch of marble dug out.

And dingdingding goes the bell! That's all, Flame! Make some last minute changes and then pass the hat!

Welp, it's the end of my year. Looks like it's over. I've made some arrangements for my host and her daughter. I've also left you all a gift that may or may not save the fortress in its time of need, depending on what said need is. Good luck and happy overseeing!

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11088

Iteb regained consciousness a whole year after she had gone to bed. She was surprised that she had given birth to a daughter, gained a ton of expertise in armorsmithing, and was now a respected member of the fort. Dwarves were also calling her 'Flame'! Apparently that had been the name of whatever spirit had taken her body. She had never really liked 'Iteb' much anyway, so she took this new name as her own.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 27, 2015, 08:20:28 pm »

That, sir, was some very entertaining turn. Well played.  To answer your question, I,m not sure anyone has ever mined ores, or taken the time to smelt it, which explains why we don't have any legendary gear. also, people sort of died a lot.

Speaking of dying, This is the third time a baron is named in Doomforests, and the second time it becomes a duchy! Woot!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 28, 2015, 03:14:38 pm »

The dwarven caravan exploded and left.

I'm beginning to think that this is the game simulating broken axles.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 28, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »

A note is found on Gwolfski's bed:

Gwolfski,
Congratulations on being chosen as the next Overseer Doomforests by the Lottery of Souls! Some things you should probably do during your overseership:
 - Continue steel production and smelting of ores. We need steel for the military machine!
 - After you've got steel built up to a good point, order 30 of each weapon. Remember to use silver for maces and warhammers.
 - Don't let anyone smith armor or weapons but Iteb ((Flame)). Turn off the labor in all migrants.
Good luck, and may Armok have mercy on your soul.

Flame

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »

Love the marksdwarf leaping over fiery death to deal some brutal beaten-about-the-face-and-wait-do-crabs-have-asses type death to the crabs.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1404 on: August 29, 2015, 05:41:15 am »

So its my turn?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:06 pm »

So its my turn?
Yep.
I bet you didn't expect this fort to survive this long, did you?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1406 on: August 30, 2015, 05:07:24 am »

i've got another fort. might moving me down a turn pls.?

nvm, doing this
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:09:09 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:56 am »

Callista felt like punching somebody. Granted, this was nothing unusual; like any other dwarf, she enjoyed a good fistfight. But this situation in particular had  left her without anyone to punch, which ironically made her want to punch someone even more.

She was surrounded by bone crafts, all created with pride and care. They should have gone off with the dwarven caravan, or perhaps with the humans, but instead of stopping at the depot, both sets of merchants had taken one look at the fortress, muttered something about broken axles, turned around, and left without trading.

So here she was, surrounded by crafts with no one to buy them and, worse, no one to complain to about it.

One totem she was particularly proud of. Lately, there had been a lot of crundle bones flowing into her workshop, but this particular crundle skull had been unusual--singed down one side, as though the creature had died in or near a fire. At first she'd meant to throw it aside as useless, but then she'd taken a closer look. That singed spot--shaped properly, decorated and carved--could pass for a flame. The other side of the skull, clean and white, could be decorated as usual, with the carving slowly fading into wilder, more elaborate flame patterns as the scorch mark began...

She'd been very proud of that particular totem. The little creature it had belonged to must have had an interesting life. But now, with no merchants to sell the crafts to, what was the use?

Though--maybe it didn't need to be merchants? There were the crundle-loving dwarves in the fortress. Maybe they'd appreciate a good set of crundle-skull totems to decorate their meeting areas.

But would they appreciate the totems, or take them as an insult? That was the question. She'd heard of some places where, long ago, even dwarf bones had been stacked into artwork, creating macabre beauty that visitors enjoyed even as they remembered the deaths of their ancestors. That certainly wasn't dishonoring the dead.

Well--you never knew unless you tried. And, she reflected, what was the worst that could happen? If they took offense when she offered to donate the totems to their temple, perhaps she'd even get that fistfight she'd been wanting ever since the merchants had left without her crafts.

(Note: When I refer to artwork made by stacking bones, I am of course referring to the Paris Catacombs. Google it if you want to see some seriously beautiful, but seriously spooky, photos.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:39:39 am by Callista »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:09 am »

(Note: When I refer to artwork made by stacking bones, I am of course referring to the Paris Catacombs. Google it if you want to see some seriously beautiful, but seriously spooky, photos.)
Alternately, you can play the original Deus Ex for a very, very low res version.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 01, 2015, 12:03:48 pm »

-snip-
I'm pretty sure that the Inquisition would really like those as tropheys.
Not because they had killed them (the ones killed by them usually left no corpse as they melt in lava), but to make the crundleshaggers mad.
They are so funny when they are mad.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 144