Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 430926 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1455 on: September 12, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »

You could end up with half a dwarf I suppose.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 12, 2015, 07:59:05 pm »

There wasn't much to do in his office. Most of the books, he'd read twice over. He knew every engraving by heart. Their meaning, their details, even the texture had become familiar to him. TaupeII had insisted that most of his old items be placed here when they moved. The inquisition leader had other plans, sadly. Gone were the golden statues and weapon racks. His longbow was stashed unceremoniously against a wall, unused for a long time. A few times a year, he liked to pull the strings and fire a few arrows at random targets, to stay sharp; a futile endeavor, really, as the office was so small. He was more than ready for his promotion, and his agricultural reform had been revised over and over again in the last two years. All he could do was wait, until the dwarves' incompetence crippled their oversized and unoptimized fortress. He was the oldest resident of Doomforests by at least two years now. He knew what the place was like. he knew how to fix it. He'd spent most of the last decade thinking, instead of hauling, barfing, drinking and adjusting his sanity levels downward.

And in due time, it came. It was finally time. He heard the familiar footsteps of his secretary, Taupe III. She'd usually drop a few rolls of parchment, some maps, or new books under his door. He was expecting nothing more this time. But on this day there was no parchment, no tome, no food supply reports. It was purple.

''The Rutile Hat is yours, minister.
-Excellent. Please have my personal -wooden cage- ready by 3 pm. And make sure you give this list of golden decorations to our best smith.
-As you wish, minister. Or should I call you overseer now?
-I prefer prime minister.''

At last. He turned to the leader of his cabinet, Phyllite Cabinet. ''This is a grand day, my friend. I wish the doctor and Baby Minister were still here to see this!'' Prime Minister Smunstu began gathering his most important files, documents and arrows. It was time to move to a bigger office...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:33:28 pm by Taupe »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:08 pm »

He's not the oldest.  As I staTed during my turn Frankensteen is the eldest by over a year.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: September 12, 2015, 08:32:10 pm »

He's not the oldest.  As I staTed during my turn Frankensteen is the eldest by over a year.
Yes, but Smunstu knew the girl under the name of Engraver Guy. This will play into the story later. I'm not saying that it pays to know influent people, but Frankensteen is now...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Our Minister of Arts and Culture.

I plan to release a daily update, each covering a full month. More on my off days. The big question is, should I play for like the year that remains, or finish this one and then play a full one right after? Two weeks should be enough, I went through a year and a half back then in a week. I'm not saying I have long term plans that could become hilarious given enough implementation times, but let's just say I hope Smunstu gets a vote of confidence and gets re-elected for a second turn.

No update tonight, as I'm busy trying to process what the fuck you guys have done to the place. Like, the screen opens on a cemetery containing:
-- 2 random dwarven coffins
-- As many caged goblins
-- Three forbidden cut gems
-- Thirty spider silk webs (half of them forbidden, the rest isn't)
-- Three llama skeletons
-- A placed bed
-- Three chains, presumably used to chain the llamas there for... reasons?
-- A direct access to the caverns
-- Another corridor travelling the size of england before leading anywhere

There are so many questions, and too few existing words in the combined languages I speak to formulate a coherent and satisfying answer to them.

It's such a mess, even the fucking earth is screaming with its whole being.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 12, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »

Then Frankensteen needs to learn what [SNAIL_NOISES] sound like, also "wish the doctor and baby minister were here" rather than hope, I think?

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 12, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »

You know, that time when you see that the only sane person in a dwarven fort is a goblin, and that that goblin is now the overseer of said fort, is when you notice that it was a good idea to invest time on Doomforests.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 12, 2015, 09:56:05 pm »

Every time I see that sig I laugh and then laugh that I made me laugh.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 12, 2015, 11:05:42 pm »

''What do you mean, my office isn't ready?
-There seems to be some confusion, right now.
-Confusion.
-Yes, nobody knows what happened during the last months.
-I see. Well, have the office prepared as soon as possible, and make sure the miners choose a non-retarded location. Something that's not above a pit of lava or inside a forgotten beast belly. If they can't find anything, just give me the golden room.
-Right away sir.''

Before the secretary leaves, Smunstu hands her a small parchment roll. ''Get me the dwarves on the list. Let's hope everyone plays their role well.'' A few hours pass, before Pencil_Art arrives, leading a group of misfit dwarves.

Pencil_Art begins the meeting, explaining diplomatically why a goblin, of all things, is now in charge of the fortress. Had Smunstu or his secretary made the announcement directly, it may have shocked many a soul. Pencil_Art, however,  was quite the diplomatic and beloved fellow. His social skills once managed to thwart and surpass the mental influence of a vampire residing in the fortress. By the end of a long, passionate narrative, the meeting room was left without a doubt: Smunstu was the new Overseer. Truth be told, the dwarves present in the meeting room had already been persuaded individually, and Pencil_Art's performance was mostly meant to officialize the deal, and shake any doubts some of them may still have. Once most of them stood up and agreed, it was too late for second thoughts.

His secretary had spent the last year slowly working up Pencil_Art to the idea, often speaking favorably and nostalgically of her predecessor. She often reminded the mayor that she, a mere replacement, could never replace the dwarf who single-handedly salvaged the fortress from a giant snail monster. She left subtle cues that she was only fullfilling her duties as chief Medical Dwarf thanks to the guidance and expertise of Smunstu, the late doctor's most trusted friend. The second snail attack saled the deal. If the mayor had his doubts before, the coming of Snustrok's son to Doomforests convinced him that an overseer who'd faced their enemy before was a ood idea, goblin or not. Hell, he'd seen worst dwarves take up the job.

Engraver Guy, now known as Frankensteen, was also a friend of the mad doctor, and owned him his life. He remembered the snail's attack, and how the carnage left nobody standing, save for two dwarves and a goblin. Smunstu and he hadn't seen each other in a while, but surviving the attacks of Snustrok and Supergoat left a strange bond between them. His role as a survivor was often dismissed, as people mostly remembered the deeds of TaupeII. But the goblin knew the truth, he knew Frankensteen's importance. ''If I ever get the rutile hat, I swear old friend, you will be known thorough the fortress. People will regard you as the autority in Arts and Culture, just like the fabled Atir Idsanad who engraved the early parts of the fort before you.''

Longshank was one of the tougher nuts to crack. He was new around, and understood little of their history. He saw the mess that Doomforests was, but rightly doubted that a goblin of all things was the key to their problems. Thankfully, Miss Taupe III was his grandmother, and knew exactly what to say.

''You are not so different, you and him. Both of you have been stuck in the middle of a disaster, dealing with it as you could, surviving. He sealed our farms and protected our fields, securing our crops from his own kind, keeping us fed and drunk. You built a tower, and walls, to keep us safe.
-He's a goblin, grandma!
-Yes, yes he is. And what are you?
-I'm Longshank, I'm a mason and an ex-overseer.
-Well, yes of course you are, but nobody seems to remember. Overseers come and go. You've done all you could for this fortress during a year, but now they threat you like anyone else. Hell, you don't even have a custom title.
-I don't see how naming a goblin will solve that!
-Smunstu wants to decentralise power. He has been in charge of agriculture for a long time, and he knows that spreading tasks around and putting a competent person in charge will lead to sounder results.
-Well, I guess we have been alright on the food front but still...
-Smunstu knows you saved this fortress, and worked wonders to improve the infrastructure. He values your experience, and your talent. He wants you to continue your good work, as a leader. Once he becomes overseer, he'll rise you to Minister of Masonry. That's more permanent than an overseer title, I tell ya. People will respect you. All the masons and miners will work under you!
-Ok, but only if I can get a less dumb name for it.''

TechnoxanII was miss Taupe III's son, and Longshank's father. His crundles were weak, damaged, scattered. The inquisition was tracking the last few ones, and soon his wonderful projects would be no more. It was just too easy.

''Minister Smunstu is to be the next overseer. Even your own son supports him. I'm told the inquisition will side with him too. If you were to denounce him, and he got elected, then surely he'd be on Mate's side.
-That treacherous scum, he killed so many of my crundles!
-Careful, son! Talking about the inquisitor like this could be dangerous. If he has the overseer's support, he has the army on his side too... You don,t want to end in jail.
-Does he think he's so clever? He's just a dumb, angry violent dwarf who doesn't understand anything! Well I'll beat him to it! If I declare for the goblin minister first, then Mate won't be able to get him on his side! I can even ask for a ceasefire against my crundles. I'll even get the mechatechnosect recognized as the ONLY certified mechanics of the fortress if I play my cards well.
-I'm so proud of you son, you are so smart!''

Then she went to His Heirless Holyness and gave essentially the same speech in reverse.

Eden was the trader. Despite Doomforests' shaky militia and gruyere-esque defences, caravans were still coming in and out of the fortress undisturbed. The broker knew why that was: Smunstu was the heir to a mighty goblin tribe, or something. So long as he remained safe inside their walls, then the goblins would not attack them. Well hey, if the little bugger was the key to that impossible peace, then why not make sure that the goblin feels at home here, and won't escape given the chance?

He hated to admit it, but their soon-to-be-promoted general knew that to be the truth as well. For good or ill, little Smunstu was the key to the lack of goblin hostilities. He was still rebuilding his squads after the disaster with Snustrok's son. Now was not the time to risk war with the goblins. He'd support Smunstu if that meant one more year of undisturbed training for his recruits.

PsychoAngel was the broker's wife, and nobody really cared about her. When she heard that Smunstu wanted to acknowledge her title as Health Inspector, and actually let her do official health inspections, she was immediately on board.

As the mayor finished his speech, the dwarves stood up and applauded. Phyllite Cabinet was missing from the event, as the Prime Minister knew this would probably undermine his credibility. He recognized the inanimate object as a friend and confident, mostly out of loneliness, but was still sane enough to recognize it as non-sentient. Still, he often addressed the cabinet, to honor the memory of his old friend the doctor. He was also getting fond of his new secretary. At first she seemed like just a generic replacement for an invaluable dwarf, but he expertise and subtletly in preparing his rise to power left him with a very good impression of her. respect, he'd even call it. Miss Taupe III stood up and passed each dwarf present a roll of parchment, containing instructions and charts.

''Now, I'm glad to have all of you here. I believe that in time, and with enough effort, we can turn Doomforests into a productive, well designed and socially-adapted fortress. In fact, if we all try hard enough, and work our best, we could even become the Capital! A marvel of dwarven history and bravery, standing to the test of time. A haven far away from this senseless war that tears our two people appart. There will be a reform. In fact, when historians read the history of this year, they will simply see ''Minister Smunstu's government reforms Doomforests''. You will be a part of this, and history will remember you as grand dwarves, leader and experts in your field.

Before we can begin with the reform, tho, we need to do one important thing: understand exactly what the fuck is going on here. You each have a roll of paper with instructions on them. By next meeting, I want each of you to know at least coherently where we stand regarding your assigned field of expertise.

Meeting dismissed.''

There will be a lot of ''Browsing things and pondering about what the hell I should do, and how the fort is doing'', so that's now actually canon. I started giving custom titles to some dwarves, and then I noticed that a lot of them were conveniently connected, especially to the secretary herself. From there on the rest wrote itself.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:11:54 pm by Taupe »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 13, 2015, 08:06:29 am »

Yes, but Smunstu knew the girl under the name of Engraver Guy. This will play into the story later. I'm not saying that it pays to know influent people, but Frankensteen is now...
Our Minister of Arts and Culture.

I plan to release a daily update, each covering a full month. More on my off days. The big question is, should I play for like the year that remains, or finish this one and then play a full one right after? Two weeks should be enough, I went through a year and a half back then in a week. I'm not saying I have long term plans that could become hilarious given enough implementation times, but let's just say I hope Smunstu gets a vote of confidence and gets re-elected for a second turn.

No update tonight, as I'm busy trying to process what the fuck you guys have done to the place. Like, the screen opens on a cemetery containing:
-- 2 random dwarven coffins
-- As many caged goblins
-- Three forbidden cut gems
-- Thirty spider silk webs (half of them forbidden, the rest isn't)
-- Three llama skeletons
-- A placed bed
-- Three chains, presumably used to chain the llamas there for... reasons?
-- A direct access to the caverns
-- Another corridor travelling the size of england before leading anywhere

There are so many questions, and too few existing words in the combined languages I speak to formulate a coherent and satisfying answer to them.

It's such a mess, even the fucking earth is screaming with its whole being.

Hooray, you found Grandpa's necromantic playroom!  Get a gold star out of petty cash.

What the hell did you do to Frank?  Good lord... to the doctor!  Posthaste!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 13, 2015, 09:30:16 am »

Syndromes no doubt.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1465 on: September 13, 2015, 09:47:32 am »

moght be related: a farmer randomly suffocated while cleaning.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1466 on: September 13, 2015, 10:11:22 am »

The writing of Smunstu's character has to be some of the best I've seen in a while. Just so as long as we have the proper materials for cleaning up the place, I will stand by the Prime Minister. By the way, do we have a Minister of Health and Safety? That seems like a title that could be worth mentioning. Especially with the apparent syndromes going around. Considering we have a family of soapers, that should be an easy role to fill.  ;D

I would also like to point out that almost everyone who has had an overseer seat in this fort has sigged a saying of an other overseer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:16:16 am by PsychoAngel »
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 13, 2015, 10:38:25 am »

Damn it, did someone fuck up the tileset again?

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: September 13, 2015, 10:44:18 am »

Out of curiosity, is there currently a Senshuken in the military? I don't recall if we need a replacement or not.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1469 on: September 13, 2015, 11:57:46 am »

Damn it, did someone fuck up the tileset again?

i got it in phoebus.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 144