Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425768 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1650 on: October 06, 2015, 05:48:03 pm »

Calm down, everyone, the fort is fine. Unfortunately I haven't been taking a too detailed account of what's been happening, but I'll try to cover everything important.

Military:
 - We have enough arms and armor for a hundred dwarves.
 - We also have legendary armor- and weaponsmiths, though not the same person like last time.
 - We have two squads of skilled melee, one of skilled ranged, and two of melee recruits.
 - We have enough ammo to turn a giant sperm whale into the world's biggest, angriest porcupine.
This may be the best condition our military has ever been in in the history of Doomforests.

Supplies:
 - Our population is at 147 153, migrants arrived while I was typing this.
 - There is enough food to last until the end of time. Our cooks and farmers are busy producing more.
 - After breaking Dark Two's strike on brewing, we now have plenty of booze. Pots and barrels will probably end up being the only limiting factor.
 - We have nearly 5000 metal bars, mostly copper, silver, gold, lead, and iron. Steel is currently limited only by how much charcoal we can produce.
 - We also have over 700 brass bars, to be used in a project of mine. When we first ran out of zinc I thought there wouldn't be enough brass, but I redid my math and realized I have 5 1/2 times the brass I needed. Don't worry, I'll put it to good use. We didn't need that copper anyway.
The only things we need at this point are steel, dwarves, and skilled workers.

Enemies:
 - A minotaur attacked. A minotaur died. What is it about this place that attracts them?
 - A goblin siege came to check on Minister Smunstu, but left after being shown the kind of luxury he was living in. Also, his foot is better. Don't worry about how.
 - Ayanu the fire-breathing pterosaur is currently wrecking Astville and there's nothing I can do about it. Right now it's stuck on an artifact weapon rack. It's also rotting from the effects of another FB's poison, a mud blob it killed earlier. Note: Do not touch it.
 - A new FB, Mothra the mongoose, is in the second(?) cavern. There's nothing there for it and it can't get in. I'll keep an eye on it.
The only thing that can possibly kill us now is our own stupidity or deliberate sabotage, and even then I wouldn't count on it.

Spoiler: Ayanu's Wounds (click to show/hide)

Projects:
 - I mentioned a project involving a shitload of brass earlier. All I'm going to say is that it's a building. Or, rather, two buildings.
 - I've been cleaning up the fort this whole time. For the first three months of the fort we had a solid zero idlers the whole time because everyone was hauling garbage to the magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look closely at that screen. You might see that there's a new room there full of coffins. Since then they have all been built and designated for burial. My math says there's around 400 coffins in there, plus the other empty coffins elsewhere in the fort. Nothing's going to happen any time soon, but if it does, we're going to have a place to put the bodies.

It's also proof that I haven't moved the fort or anything, no matter how tempting that might be at times.

EDIT: I just realized something. We've been having our weavers gather silk and make cloth since the beginning of the fort, almost. We haven't done anything with that cloth but let it sit there.

We have over fifteen hundred cave spider silk cloth.

I'm going to set the clothing shops on repeat.

The ritual was finally ready. In the center of the small room lay a large pile of copper tablets, every inch covered in writing. Avuz stood at the edge of the room, near the door in case something went wrong. Avuz, gathering her power, breathed in.

"P'MUDOTUA!" she shouted, releasing her power into the tablets, her small voice overlain with another, deeper, commanding. They vanished in a bang of in-rushing air, then were quickly replaced with a quickly growing pile of... stuff. Old clothes, boulders of various stones, desiccated corpses and limbs, broken furniture, and other objects. Avuz was shoved out the door by the advancing wave of junk. This was more than she had expected. Good thing she hadn't locked the door.

As she extricated herself from the pile, she spotted a dwarven skeleton. Bits of flesh and rags still clung to the grinning skull. Eh, she'd seen worse. Doomforests was not a place where dwarves grew up sheltered. Or lived to adulthood. Forgetting these thoughts, she turned to the waiting dwarves.

"Alright, men, sort it out. Bury the dwarves, smelt the ore, dump everything else down the magma pit."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:21:30 pm by TheFlame52 »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:56 pm »

This may be the best condition our military has ever been in in the history of Doomforests.
[...]
 - A new FB, Mothra the mongoose, is in the second(?) cavern. There's nothing there for it and it can't get in. I'll keep an eye on it.

That's it, we are all dead. Godzilla will come to combat Mothra and will kill us all. calling it now...
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: October 06, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »

Eh, we'll just all die and end up with one crazy doctor, one baby, and a goblin again.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:17 pm »

Eh, we'll just all die and end up with one crazy doctor, one baby, and a goblin again.

In retrospect somebody should have sealed a food efficient citizen in a 1x1 room somewhere and we would never fall...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:22:22 pm by exodius1 »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »

In retrospect somebody should have sealed a food efficient citizen in a 1x1 room somewhere and we would never fall...

Don't start that shit again.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:28 pm »

Hey, I did not point any fingers... I was just reflecting in relation to the current discussion of failing the fort.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 06, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »

Don't tell me how to play my turns, Iamblichos. You're not even my real mom.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:49 am »

I was about to say "wait, Smunstu is food efficient" before I remembered the problem with counting on an insane semi-prisoner ex-goblin overseer as insurance against, well... Doomforests-y events.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 07, 2015, 01:25:18 am »

- We also have legendary armor- and weaponsmiths, though not the same person like last time.
Yeah, sorry your dwarf died. I made sure to train replacements, and took the two highest candidates, giving them enough job to level them up sufficiently.

Beside the fact that you just f'kin jinxed it, we still need a few high-quality steel items if I recall. We can equip 100 dwarves, but not with top-notch equipment. I'm sure you're working on improving the gear already tho.

- A minotaur attacked. A minotaur died. What is it about this place that attracts them?
Man, I wish I knew. I got three minotaurs in my latest turn. What the hell.

- I've been cleaning up the fort this whole time. For the first three months of the fort we had a solid zero idlers the whole time because everyone was hauling garbage to the magma.
Neat-o burrito. Any significant improvement on your fps so far?

-Look closely at that screen. You might see that there's a new room there full of coffins. Since then they have all been built and designated for burial. My math says there's around 400 coffins in there, plus the other empty coffins elsewhere in the fort. Nothing's going to happen any time soon, but if it does, we're going to have a place to put the bodies.
I'm not sure what's the saddest. That we decided to make 400 coffins ahead of time and place them, or knowing we'll end up using all of them.

EDIT: I just realized something. We've been having our weavers gather silk and make cloth since the beginning of the fort, almost. We haven't done anything with that cloth but let it sit there.
We have over fifteen hundred cave spider silk cloth.
Lawl. That would explain why my stock screen simply died whenever I went over the cloth section. It would pause them for 5-10 seconds before moving back up or down. Can we just decorate things with cloth? Is that a good way to spend it, or will it just make the game as laggy?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 07, 2015, 02:36:02 am »

Note: I meant "ex-goblin-overseer" not "ex-goblin, overseer" or "ex-goblin, ex-overseer" or "sex-goblin, oh dear" or any variation thereof.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 07, 2015, 04:19:09 pm »

Note: I meant "ex-goblin-overseer" not "ex-goblin, overseer" or "ex-goblin, ex-overseer" or "sex-goblin, oh dear" or any variation thereof.
That made me chuckle. A lot, actually.

So Flame, how's the soap prospect looking?
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 07, 2015, 04:29:09 pm »

So Flame, how's the soap prospect looking?
I've reclaimed a bit of soap from some random walls and let you finish up your orders, but not far because of that. But you have been doing quite a bit of burning wood for charcoal and cleaning up vomit, if that makes you happy.

Oh! I also combined my ritual magic with your soap magic to clean the entire fort. I'll do a writeup when I do the update.

Yeah, sorry your dwarf died. I made sure to train replacements, and took the two highest candidates, giving them enough job to level them up sufficiently.
I finished training them. Also, no harm done. I didn't get attached to her. But I am a tad peeved that I got re-dwarfed. That wasn't part of the plan!

Neat-o burrito. Any significant improvement on your fps so far?
I've scraped up an extra 5 FPS. It probably would have been more if I hadn't singlehandedly doubled our metal stockpiles.

I'm not sure what's the saddest. That we decided to make 400 coffins ahead of time and place them, or knowing we'll end up using all of them.
Call me a cynic, but it was me that made all those coffins. I didn't have enough time to build them before the end of my last turn.

Lawl. That would explain why my stock screen simply died whenever I went over the cloth section. It would pause them for 5-10 seconds before moving back up or down. Can we just decorate things with cloth? Is that a good way to spend it, or will it just make the game as laggy?
That would be the thread section, not the cloth section. We have fifteen thousand cave spider silk webs here. And I'm taking care of it.

Beside the fact that you just f'kin jinxed it, we still need a few high-quality steel items if I recall. We can equip 100 dwarves, but not with top-notch equipment. I'm sure you're working on improving the gear already tho.
Shhhhhh.... Don't worry about it. Looking back over the stocks, though, I see that you're right. Not only do we have less armor and weapons than I thought, most of it is low quality. The weapons are good quality, but I could have sworn we had more than we do. Did someone melt them or something? We should have a good 120 weapons of various types, but all I see are ~50 steel and silver weapons of good quality.

We also only seem to have more, but lower quality armor than we did during my last turn. We should have ~30 good-quality pieces of each kind of armor of each kind, but we don't. I bet the extras were produced this turn by the less-skilled armorsmith I trained up.

On top of that, I was lying when I said I made that hole that let the FB in. I saw that hole and patched it during my turn.

I think we have a saboteur in our midst.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 07, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »

Quote from: Taupe on Today at 01:25:18 am
Shhhhhh.... Don't worry about it. Looking back over the stocks, though, I see that you're right. Not only do we have less armor and weapons than I thought, most of it is low quality. The weapons are good quality, but I could have sworn we had more than we do. Did someone melt them or something? We should have a good 120 weapons of various types, but all I see are ~50 steel and silver weapons of good quality.
I took everything that wasn't a steel weapon or silver blunt weapon (copper, iron) and designated them for smelting. The suckers in the forge got to that right away while we waited for hematite to stop disapearing, and charcoal/flux to pile up. Most of it wasn,t gonna be used anyway, it was mostly extra junk. We should still have plenty of good weapons to accomodate the army.

As for armor, We had about 30 full suits (save a few missing ten for some slots) steel armor, which is why I had to make more for the Order of the Ale. Sure we have like, copper shit and some steel helmets, but we are past that point I think.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:18:16 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 07, 2015, 06:23:29 pm »

I wasn't counting the junk. Now I'm trying to remember whether I queued up that second round of weapon orders...

Also, game crashed and I lost everything I did today. Update tomorrow, then.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 08, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »

Here be a little RP piece we did with Dark One. It has been modified somewhat from the original, as my co-writer pointed out my jarring lack of intimate knowledge of the universe. I hope this will be satisfying to him.

Spoiler: Meeting in the Dark (click to show/hide)

If anything is off, tell me, I will correct it. Also, full disclosure, some o D2's actions have been motivated by Roll2Dodge, or so Dark One claims.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 144