Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432311 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1710 on: October 12, 2015, 05:49:53 pm »

All I did was give him some new clothes...

That isn't the reason, though. I did that after the crash. I think the crash I had was caused by a tree growing into one of the Brass Towers, which were under construction at the time.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 12, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

All I did was give him some new clothes...

That isn't the reason, though. I did that after the crash. I think the crash I had was caused by a tree growing into one of the Brass Towers, which were under construction at the time.

Again? Bloody hell, those are some mean ass trees in the region...-.-

And sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was indicting you or anything, just warning that excessiveness in such things can lead to !!FUN!!... I remember once in a community fort I modded ravens to be trained into war animals... next person over had some symbols replaced by buckets for no particular reason... Coincidence? Maybe, but why risk it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:53 pm »

OOC: Spring is done! 

As 3 was heading towards MechaTechno territory to speak with TechnoXan, Kronk came running up to him, with something in his hand.

"For you sir."  He held out the OverSeer's hat

"Wonderful.  How were you able to get it?"  3 takes the hat and places it firmly on his head.

"Well, when the last overseer called a meeting to announce her retirement, I was in the crowd.  As she was about to name her successor, I was able to make everyone think she named you.  I then took advantage of her confusion to step forward to say I would deliver the hat to you."

"Interesting."  3 fiddled with the hat to make it fit more comfortably.  "What I want to know is how you were able to convince the crowd she named me."

"I'll just say that ventriloquism isn't nearly as useless as we thought."

"Looks like I owe number 9 ¤70 then.  Let's head back to the fort, I can talk to TecnoXan later."

When they returned to the fort, there was much rejoicing, as is usual when a new overseer takes power.  After the party, 3 got down to work.

(Switching to journal format here, as it's easier for me to write, and I couldn't figure out a more graceful transition)

3rd Granite:  I had barely started the task of evaluating our situation when scout reported seeing goblins and trolls along the western edge of the area.

Fortunately they left soon after.  Good thing too, as I'm much too busy to deal with such pests.

8th Granite:  I noticed we had some ballista parts sitting around.  That got me thinking about those towers that Flame put up out front.  I think I'll have fortifications carved in the tower walls, and put some ballistae in there.  If nothing else, it will help make the people of this fort feel more secure.  It also will provide us with some good defense against any sieges; goblin, necromancer or otherwise, that dare threaten us.

13th Granite:  Scouts report that an elven caravan has arrived.  I order them to wait and see which depot they'll head to, then bring all the cloth we have lying around to them.  If nothing else, I know that even the elves aren't so up-tight about plants and such to be offended by plant based cloth.  Therefore, we can unload all of ours onto them, and let our clothiers focus on using up all the silk we have lying about.

14th Granite:  Our Hammerlord has been running about, declaring the name he gave to his hammer.  He is apparently very proud of himself.

16th Granite:  I decided to have some of the caged creatures we had lying about brought to the trade depot, as we could probably convince the elves to take them off our hands.  Apparently, whoever was in charge of hauling them was an idiot, an set them free so that he could carry the cages down.  As one might imagine, several dangerous animals got loose.  This includes the captive minotaur we had.  On the plus side, Don Pedro happened to be in the right place at the right time, to help deal with the beast.  And by help I mean distract it by serving as a punching bag while the militia killed the beast.  I was told that while his injuries weren't too bad, he did require surgery on his.  I'll have to remember to send him a letter at some point soon.

Pedro's injuries:

21st Granite:  Our broker was busy being "on break", so I sent some random dwarf down to the depot to trade with the elves.  When he returned he said that they refused to trade with him and left soon after he spoke to them. He claims he did nothing wrong, but knowing elves he likely offended them somehow.

2nd Slate:  My detections spells alerted me to the presence of a new forgotten one in the caverns.
I sent scouts to check and see if they could find any potential access points for it to attack us, but they reported that there was no such threat. 

27th Slate:  Some migrants arrived.  Later I'll take a look at their skills and see if I can't give some of them to Don Pedro for his plans.

15th Felsite:  I noticed we have a metric fuckton of pigs .

So I ordered every adult save for one breeding pair slaughtered.  It's not like we're short on meat, but it gives our cooks more to practice on.

30th Felsite:  The ballistae I ordered have been completed.  I may have another pair put in the rear of each tower just in case.  I'll also have to order fortifications carved in the other walls, but his shall do for now.

OOC:  That's all for now.  exodius1, expect a letter for Don Pedro in my next post.  I'll try to have summer up for Thursday at the latest.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:16:13 pm by Drazoth »
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 12, 2015, 07:47:13 pm »

Welp, at least Don Pedro survived.

Edit: That gives me an idea though, will wait for some break in workload/your RP to proceed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:59:46 pm by exodius1 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 12, 2015, 09:06:49 pm »

It's cool that we are now preparing for the very non-existent sieges that plague Doomforests.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 12, 2015, 09:08:08 pm »

It's cool that we are now preparing for the very non-existent sieges that plague Doomforests.

Honestly, I've got around 30 idlers, this is just to give them something to do, for a little while any way.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:37 pm »

A propos idlers, could you start training a metalcrafter for me? I have a need of a legendary (+5) one^^. I will include the request proper in the letter to D3 after your RP^^

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 13, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »

Journal of Dark Two

The contract seemed somehow strange, I couldn't sign it, but I feel that I've made a good decision. Why I'd ever need Regenreich's cooperation anyway? If Don Pedro wants to become the overseer, we, The Order of The Ale are his men when he gets the rutile hat. Though only Smunstu has got our ultimate trust and support!

According to Drazoth the 3rd, Smunstu has got journals of Dark One, my indirect predecessor in Doomforests. I sent him a request for a copy of them. I received answer immediately! If there's anyone I can count on in this whole fortress, it's Smunstu. I must also get to that burnt chamber. I asked miners to clear the cave-in, and they agreed in exchange for some barrels of booze.

I heard that Drazoth the 3rd have claimed the rutile hat. He focused on maintaining stability of the fortress and increasing it's security, though there was an unfortunate accident with Don Pedro and a minotaur... The only thing I can do is send him a barrel of good ale with some "get well" wishes. I think that I should visit Drazoth's magic detection lessons - I don't know what Don Pedro can send thanking me for that booze.

Dark Two entered the caverns, and getting too far he found some kind of a structure. He could feel that there was some magic involved, but getting any closer made him feel incredible pain. Further investigation in this place is required. Dark Two decided to backtrack towards the cavern entrance, avoiding MechaTechno territory. Finally he found the room, and entered it.

Drazoth was inside, planning his next orders.

- Greetings friend.

- Welcome Dark Two...

- I wanted to get some clues on magic detection.

- Well... I don't have enough time to teach you advanced magic detection, but knowing your unusual skills, it should be easy for you to advance with only the basic knowledge.

- Go on.

- First let's cover the fundamentals. Magic as we know it, is energies flowing within the realms. Objects can be imbued with it temporarily, permanently, or created by forces, demons, dieties etc. To enchant something temporarily, the object must be filled with energy, which will slowly disperse. On the contrary, permanent enchantments drain energy from the surrounding area. While temporary enchantments have the downside of wearing out, they can work in environments where distribution of energies is not strong enough for permanent enchantments. Objects created by forces, demons, dieties, etc. are interesting. They always have a fixed amount of energies stored within - they never wear out, and would work everywhere. They are hard to come by however. Living creatures behave in similar manner to temporary enchanted objects. They have a limited amount of energy, and after it disperses, they die.

- Is this all?

- Now let's talk about some magic detection techniques. To detect magic you must sense turnings of energy surrounding enchanted objects. Feel them getting weaker or stronger depending on the type of enchantment. About idntifying effects of enchantments, training is mostly a matter of trials and errors. Each enchantment has it's unique "tone", which can be easily sensed. - after a while of silence he adds:

- That's all I can tell you Klan-Master. I'm very busy right now.

After that Dark Two left Drazoth's room, with strong feeling of emptiness in his head. Energies flowing within realms? Yes, he could feel it. And strangely, D3's room was an ideal energy blocker, as if he made his room anti-magic. On the way back to the fortress, Dark Two used his magic detection on random cavern creatures, reading how much life they still possess, and remembering what tone made every creature.

When he get back to the fortress and then to his room, Dark Two got an idea after trying to sense energies around a bar of soap - it seemed that it absorbed and discharged energy around it. He might secure his room and office with soap, to protect himself from magic!

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 13, 2015, 02:44:39 pm »

During a lull in his overseer duties, 3 writes up the letter he had been meaning to write to Don Pedro.  Once he was done, he had Faustus deliver it so he could return to his duties.

Letter to Don Pedro:

OOC:  I've got the first month of summer played.  The archive is also coming along.  I expect that the first year ( minus the OP) will be done within 3 weeks.  It would be sooner, if it weren't currently my turn.  I also have to write RP for D1, which is taking up time as well.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »

Don Pedro had been out for a while. A shame. This played to their advantage, however. As the Chief Medical Dwarf, miss TaupeIII was in charge of the hospital. She controlled who took care of whom, which dwarves were on duties and which were on break... which patients were a priority and which should be isolated. Keeping privy eyes from her business had been all too easy. Obviously they were short a few correspondences, but she'd managed to snatch and copy a few of the letters created or received by this enigmatic dwarf. some were meant to Drazoth, , many more seemed to indicate a connection to Dark Two. The prime minister would be happy to learn of this. He wasn't one to stop plots, but he liked to keep track of them anyway.

P.S.  How good are your cryptography skills?  Just wanted to know, as I have an idea for my next turn in our little game.

It's a good thing this accident happened when it did, as obviously the current overseer was keen on switching to a new, more secure mean of communication. They had taken a few shots at the drazoth family code in the past, but some elements still eluded them. Hopefully, Drazoth would let the key to these riddles slip in his next letter...

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2015, 03:07:24 pm »

Just letting you know Taupe, the cipher I plan to introduce is very complex.  Like, 5 steps, with an optional 6th.  It requires an excel spreadsheet, as well as written instructions to make use of.  Good luck to those who wish to try and decrypt it.  If people, I can find/make a simpler one.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 13, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »

Just letting you know Taupe, the cipher I plan to introduce is very complex.  Like, 5 steps, with an optional 6th.  It requires an excel spreadsheet, as well as written instructions to make use of.  Good luck to those who wish to try and decrypt it.  If people, I can find/make a simpler one.
Not planning to succeed, just jumping on easy opportunities to learn what I can.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »

Spoiler: To D3 (click to show/hide)

If you rename Don Pedro's son, and 9 of those recruits, to Intern, I would appretiate it. Have one learn metalcrafting, one mechanics, and one make low quality training spears. Rest can be idle for now.

Spoiler: To Dark Two (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:08:12 pm by exodius1 »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:15 am »

Journal of Dark Two

A letter from Don Pedro! I hope he liked the gift...

Spoiler: To Dark Two (click to show/hide)

Nope.

I received a message from miners that the tunnels have been cleared and secured, and the key will be delivered to me later, so only I could open the passage to burnt chamber. I think that I'd need to visit Smunstu... maybe I'll bring him a barrel of Rectified Spirits as Don Pedro wished....

After I finished brewing, I decided to pay a visit to Prime Minister. I knocked to the door and heard Miss Taupe 3 saying "Come in." Then I dragged the barrel with me and said to Smunstu:

- Greetings my friend!

- Ah, Dark Two! Are you here for the journals? They're not ready yet, but I can assure you that you'll receive it by the end of the week.

- I'm here for advice, Prime Minister. You see, there's this dwarf called Don Pedro. Recently he sustained injuries from unfortunate minotaur accident. We, The Order of The Ale wanted to send him our "get well" wishes, along with a barrel of good, exotic ale, just as we do with every injured dwarf. He refused though, and told me to bring a barrel of Rectified Spirits to you.

I showed him the barrel and said:

- Here it is. I know it's a beverage obscure for dwarves, but traditional to goblins. And I heard some rumors that it was used in many rituals, as well as in mechanism cleaning.

- Thank you! I'd find some good uses for it.

- Back to the topic of Don Pedro... It's a strange relation for sure. He sent me some enchanted coin before, and later he wanted me to sign some suspicious contract with Regenreich. I refused to do so, though. And that barrel... So, here I am, asking you how can I improve my relations with Don Pedro?

Just before the Prime Minister could give Dark Two his advice, Miss Taupe called him. He came back after a while and said:

- I'm sorry Dark Two, but can we talk about this later? I have something important to do. Pay a visit sometimes, I'm sure that there are some matters to discuss!

- Thanks anyway, Prime Minister. I should be going now.

Just as Dark Two closed the doors behind him, Miss Taupe 3 asked Smunstu:

- Prime Minister, are you really sure that we can give him these journals? It seems that he draws attention of suspicious elements in this fortress. He may yet turn against us...

- Don't worry Miss Taupe, Dark Two is a moral and loyal dwarf. It seems that he seeks knowledge just for the sake of it. It rarely happens that apprentice turns against his master... just as it was with Dark One, who seeked my help back in the day...

Dark Two reminded himself about his experiments with soap, and payed a visit to PsychoAngel. The dwarf was working furiously, bringing highest quality soap to Doomforests. Dark Two and PsychoAngel were kinda friends. The two understood each other, and often talked about their new discoveries in their working sectors, sharing some interesting stories too. This time Dark Two gave Le Grande Soaper a receipt for soap bars. Usually Klan-Master needed small quantities, but this time the receipt was for a huge amount of soap.

Later when he was in his room, he written a letter to Don Pedro.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:17:24 am by Dark One »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 14, 2015, 11:11:00 am »

I believe it went :

Flame (Finished)
Me
Mate888
Exoduis1
Flame (New Request)

It would be best if someone else could go verify though.  As for maintaining the OP, We Salmuek for that, as he has the login info for Drokles, unless there's a way for someone else to edit it.  I sent him a PM a few days ago to remind him that DoomForests is still going, but he hasn't responded.
These days I'm finding some time to be active on the forums, so I'll just append these and if anyone has some other changes let me know by pm.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:19:21 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 144