Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 436911 times)

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1875 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:55 pm »

D3 was wandering the woods.  Not as good a place for thinking as the caverns, what with all that distracting sunlight and all.  Still, he was deep in thought.  While he may not be able to deal with the source of all this magic at the moment, there had to be a way to draw it out, slow down the absorption and buy time to deal with the source.  There was that old plan he had made with The Dark One all those years ago, but only the bare bones of the infrastructure was done, not to mention it was sealed off from the rest of the fort.  Besides, it was meant to draw magic from elsewhere.  However, there was one thing that might work....

D3 rushed back into his room and shut the door.  Locking it, he then moved to his desk and began looking through the drawers.  Finding the proper documents, he began to read carefully, making notes in the margins, then on some scrap paper that was convenient. Hours passed as he calculated and sketched the blue prints.  Once his work was done, he copied some of it to some fresh sheets, and wrote a letter.  Since Hans and Kronk were both out of the question, and sending a construct would only hinder his goals, he took the letter and slid it under the recipient's door himself.  After that was done, he returned to his room for some rum, and some sleep.

Letter to Mate the 888th:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 01, 2015, 10:47:19 pm »

D3 was wandering the woods.  Not as good a place for thinking as the caverns, what with all that distracting sunlight and all.  Still, he was deep in thought.  While he may not be able to deal with the source of all this magic at the moment, there had to be a way to draw it out, slow down the absorption and buy time to deal with the source.  There was that old plan he had made with The Dark One all those years ago, but only the bare bones of the infrastructure was done, not to mention it was sealed off from the rest of the fort.  Besides, it was meant to draw magic from elsewhere.  However, there was one thing that might work....

D3 rushed back into his room and shut the door.  Locking it, he then moved to his desk and began looking through the drawers.  Finding the proper documents, he began to read carefully, making notes in the margins, then on some scrap paper that was convenient. Hours passed as he calculated and sketched the blue prints.  Once his work was done, he copied some of it to some fresh sheets, and wrote a letter.  Since Hans and Kronk were both out of the question, and sending a construct would only hinder his goals, he took the letter and slid it under the recipient's door himself.  After that was done, he returned to his room for some rum, and some sleep.

Letter to Mate the 888th:

((Just as I was wondering what to do next))
Journal of Mate the 888th, High Inquisitor of Doomforests
Absolutely nothing happens. The elves are still there, expecting us to buy more shit from them, and the buzzard rampage is slowly fading away after the alpha male had his leg chopped off by a crossbow bolt.
Gotta give credit to the marksdwarves, though. Even the elves looked jealousy at those quickscoping shooting skills.
But yes, I'm feeling quite bored now. You can always spy at massive blobs of muck brutally murdering troglodytes so many times before it becomes dull, and time seems to flow slower than before because of my boredom, I assume.
Yeah, I don't know what to d--
Oh! A letter from Drazoth?
A... Monument? To Armok? Yeah! That would help uplift the religious fervor here! Plus, I would have another excuse to engrave the shit out of something.
Also, I think I should take a look at that Don Pedro guy and his place, that is unconveniently positioned right next to the second level of my temple.
But first things first, I'll talk to my cousin, maybe send some of my zealots to... Negotiate with Don Pedro at his place, but the main priority is to build a monument. Finally something to do--
OH ARMOK NO
THEY ARE BACK! IT WAS NOT OVER! IT'S NEVER OVER! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
Armok DAMN that kid is viscious! Maybe he'll be enlisted in the militia if when he reaches adulthood.
But yes, I should go talk to Drazoth. Likot will be sent to talk to Don Pedro. See if he is somehow linked to all those heretics that have been popping around lately.
And if Don Pedro is in fact linked with some sort of heresy, you can be completely sure I'll set them all on fire.
Man, buzzards are a worse threat to us than goblins. I wonder what Mr. Smuntsu thinks about it. Probably disappointment.
Also, I think I remember something...
Oh.
OH.
I killed two dwarves.
Well... They were heretics anyway, heathens, right? Worshippers of evil demons like Nifih, right? Right!? Why don't I remember!?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 02, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »

Not just two dwarves, you got one of the Senshukens! I wonder when that was. I thought third one had been killed by a FB that broke into the halls on one of Taupe's turns, but maybe I'm miscounting.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 02, 2015, 07:01:08 pm »

The High Inquisitor was wandering the fort.  He had found some spare time and the idea of a monument to Holy Armok was something he could not resist.  So he had decided to go looking for his cousin.  It was not going well.

"Have you seen a dwarf? he's short, has a long beard and-- dammit! this will be harder than i thought!"

D3 wanders past on his way to the booze stockpile, as his rum had run out again.

"Hey, cousin!"

"Ah, there you are Lord Inquisitor.  Are you free at the moment?"

"Yes... Not because I have absolutely nothing to do, of course... But oh well, what were you talking about a monument in the letter you sent me?"

"Let's go somewhere private to discuss this.  Wouldn't want to risk some heretic over hearing."

D3 quickly filled up his bottle of rum and began to lead the Inquisitor to his office. D3 had planned ahead and had hidden his constructs, and made sure the only plans on his table were the ones the Inquisitor needed to see.

"It's a... Cozy place you dug for yourself here."  Mate takes a look at the sketches,  "Fond of drawing? Maybe I could take you into the engravers some day"

"My older brother Drazoth the Second was an engraver as a recall.  Anyway, these are the plans for that monument.  I like to call it the 'Chalice of Armok'."

"That sounds like something.  Explain."

"Put simply, it is a giant Chalice with a hollowed out stem.  The stem would be filled with pumps, for moving magma into the cup part of the chalice.  If needed, or if we just want to roast some elves, we overfill the chalice to make magma flow out and smite those who dare oppose us or be elves."

"Hm... Maybe that would please Armok and ease the destruction on the fort.  Where should I build it?"

"I have an idea, but I need to work out how the 'plumbing; would work first.  No point in building the thing if we can't get magma to it."

"Then it won't be above ground, I suppose."

"Not sure.  Above ground would give it the best position for killing elves.  There is an old project of mine from my first term as overseer that we can use to help build the magma pumps.  Sadly, it's sealed off, as it was very much open to the caverns.  With the right planning though, it may be possible to open up the area, and seal off the un-needed cavern access."

"I'll work out the best location for it soon.  Till then, why don't you get our miners to do something useful and start mining ore, as you will need a lot to build this."

"Of course. What would be a chalice of Armok without it's amount of gold, encrusted gems and probably some other kind of ridiculously expensive material?... All for the good of the faithful, of course."

"Of course.  I'll send a copy of the blue prints soon, with a note about the location."

"I'll be waiting for them"

"Very well.  Before you go, I have a gift for you."

"Sure, what is it?"

D3 takes out a coin from his pocket.  "Here.  It's a good luck chram I got before I came here.  May Holy Armok Watch over you."  He gives the coin to the Inquisitor.

Mate grabs the coin and leaves the room. "Armok bless"

"Armok bless."
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:06 pm »

ARMOK WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 02, 2015, 09:27:17 pm »

When your fort is so horrible that you manage to depress a demon, you know you are doing it right.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 02, 2015, 09:33:25 pm »

When your fort is so horrible that you manage to depress a demon, you know you are doing it right.

I blame you. Mate...

I would say "burn him, I want  a new vessel", but as I plan n leaving the thread after my turn anyways... I may think of something more creative to do later.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 02, 2015, 10:40:33 pm »

*Is happily browsing around 4chan*
*Remembers that DF was unpaused the whole time*
Eh, probably nothing happened
*Sees little red "c" on the corner of the screen*
Probably the FB's killing trog--OH GOD NO

Journal of Mate the 888th
MAGMA CRAB INVASION, I REPEAT, MAGMA CRAB INVASION!
EVACUATE THE FORGES, THE ARMY WILL BE SENT THERE SOON ENOUGH!
...And by soon enough I mean that the closer squad, the marksdwarves, are in the top level of the forge.
*sigh*
At least it's only two of them and the forges are almost completely empty. What damage could they cause?
Also, one of them is falling over again and again because of over-extertion.
Eh, I may have over reacted.
But well, as long as I don't have to do anything until I recieve the pla--
wot
US?
OF ALL THE SHITHOLES IN THIS UNIVERSE, YOU CHOOSE US!? YOU CRAZY BASTARD YOU WILL DOOM OUR CIVILIZATION
Sorry, I had a little moment there. Now I'll have to dig out some royal chambers, or use the infamous golden room that is known for bringing bad luck and a painful death to its owner. Yeah, that sounds like a kingly residence.
The queen is walking throught an elf infested forest alone. She will find us trading with the elves and with a front gate filled with vomit...
That's not the impression we want to give to our monarch, even if she is the reason why we all left the mountainhome in the first place...
Also we don't want her mad.
Bad things happen when that bitch gets mad. Things like me getting banished into some doomed forest in the edge of the world and...
Yeah. We don't want her mad.
CLEAN THE ENTRANCE OF ALL FILTH! YEAH, BY THAT I MEAN BOTH VOMIT AND ELVES!
Oh look, she's not alone, she's got another pompous slacker from the Town of Stroking! A militia commander, you say? Oh! Sure, come in, we will help you train with all the hellish monstrosities in our caverns...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WHY!?
MY BODY IS NOT READY FOR THIS
Oh look, an outpost liason came too! I don't think she'll be as annoying as the quee--
Kill me now.
The metal intern is being attacked by the magma crabs, but I have more pressing matters to worry about: three old, rich and pompous women that will get really angry once they enter the fort and notice that they are homeless.
I need a drink.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:04:44 pm by mate888 »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:27 am »

:o

Well I guess you achieved the goal set so many turns ago.... I have no idea how you did but you did mate888. *slow clap*
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:22 am »

Journal of Dark Two

I knew the buzzards were evil! They even attaked a child, bloodthirsty beasts.... and now a pair of magma crabs attacked our forges. This must have something to do with demons. From all the hellholes, this one might be the most attractive for them. Knights reported that Don Pedro is depressed. It must have happened after meeting with us.... Well, now I need to send him something.

Spoiler: Letter to Don Pedro (click to show/hide)

This would be enough. I heard rumors that our monarch have finally arrived. We're a mountainhome now!

After reading the journals, there was only one thing that Klan-Master could do - search the caverns for Dark One's hideout. He gathered knights and prepard equipment, then they entered the caverns. They were lucky that Forgotten Ones were busy with troglodytes, so they could go on freely. The journals led them to a collapsed structure with some kind of altar built on top of it. They couldn't come closer though, as there was a strange magic field that inducted strong pain in anyone trying to force it. But Klan-Master couldn't stop right now. He took a strong potion that stopped pain, and tried to force it. But the potion was too weak, he was overwhelmed by unthinkable torment. Suddenly it just stopped and he could go to the altar. His knights were still blocked however.

The altar was a small structure placed atop a rock. There were two unlit candles and a huge termite skull between them. There was also an old, worn out robe and kobold bones. He tried to touch the skull, but then the skeleton started to twitch, shudder and move! With low, booming voice it said

- You are the first to break through the barrier left by my master. Light up the candles, touch the skull, and kneel before him!

After a moment of hesitation, Dark Two did as the skeleton said. Suddenly everything started to fade away into void with his last words:

- Very well. Await my master mortal!

Nothing. Dark Two was surrounded by endless void, with no means of escape from this strange realm. Suddenly a robed dwarf with a strange rod in his hand appeared. He looked strange, fading in and out of reality. He said:

- You have finally achieved your goal, my descendant. I have awaited you.

Dark Two considered if this was reality, or just a fever dream. He didn't know how he could even speak in this void, but then Dark One said:

- This is my realm, here our minds are one. Let me answer all your questions...

Suddenly Klan-Master felt energies rising in his body, and then strange, colourfull stream flowed into his head. He saw, felt and knew everything that his predecessor did. Nightmares, love with Geshud and jealousy towards Osp Shockedroomed, horrors of Sanctumcoal and all the brainwashing did by necromancers, puppet mastery of Drazoth the 3rd, cult wars, his research and finally Shorast Strangerways and last battle with Mate the 888th.

Dark Two received answers to almost all of his questions. It was Dark One's time to speak again:

- This is the end mortal. I have found enlightenment in non-existence. I exist, and do not exist at the same time, Klan-Master. It's a paradox your "friend" Drazoth would well understand. But let me tell you one thing.... When the time comes, Armok would bring the world back upon the anvil of creation. But before that, everything needs preparation. I am awaiting the call of Armok. It might happen today or thousands of years later, but it has to be done.

After a while of silence, he says again:

- Now you know everything. Before we say goodbye, take this.

Dark One gives a ring with strange, yellow jewel and a small charm without any density to the Klan-Master.

- Use them wisely. We may meet again when the time comes.

Suddenly Dark Two was back in caverns. Ring on his finger, charm socketed in his sword. Knights told him that he stood there and did nothing for a good while. Only Klan-Master knew what happened there.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 03, 2015, 10:42:13 am »

Journal of Psycho II
Business as usual, at least for a time. The buzzards have been absolutely ravenous lately, something's definitely not right. The others seem to have a lot more pressing matters to attend to as far as they're concerned, so if worse comes to worst, I may have to look into it myself. At least it will give me something more to do. Not that I don't enjoy my job.

Wait, the queen is here!? I thought that many of our people came here to get AWAY from the monarchy... I just don't know what's going on anymore. Hooray for being a mountainhome I suppose.

I saw Dark and the Order going down into the caverns. Maybe they found something worth investigating. Or maybe... Oh I hope it's nothing dangerous.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 03, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »

The news spread quickly through out the fort.  The queen had come.  D3 was smiling.  He had been wondering if the bribes had been enough, but now it seems that they had been.  Things were going well for him.  Though he knew it was risky, he decided that this should be reported directly.  After casting all the concealing wards he knew, he cast a new spell, one recently developed by number 5.  Before him, a glowing green shape took form.

What is it that you want 3?  This had better be important.

"The queen has arrived in DoomForests Mother.  I am ready to begin Phase 2 now."

Very good my son.  You have accomplished more than both of your elder brothers.  Now, what about this Don Pedro that I have heard about?  Is he still a threat?

"I don't believe so, however, I am working a counter measure just in case.  If I don't end up needing it, I can have it in reserve for any future threat."

Very well my son.  Let me know when you are ready to move onto phase three.

" Yes mother."

With a maniacal cackle, the image disappears, and D3 is alone once more. 

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: December 03, 2015, 05:03:09 pm »

WHY ALL THE MINERS IN THE FORT HAPPEN TO BE SOLDIERS!?
FUCK YOUR DUTY TO THE PEOPLE! AN OLD, POMPOUS BITCH NEEDS A PALACE BUILT UNDERGROUND! GO NOW AND WORK!

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 05, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »

Hello, anybody home?  Anybody alive?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 05, 2015, 05:55:47 pm »

I was about to say the same thing.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 144