Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432324 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: The Violent End of Doomforests - Or Not? By Armok, What Is This Fortress?
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2014, 01:55:31 am »

You've got us on the edge of our seats Taupe.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2014, 02:56:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's a shocker. How surprising. I guess our marketing department hasn't been doing it's job.

The crundle cages are set up... but someone decided to destroy the lever controllign them, as well as the bridge.

As soon as the lever is repaired, someone destroys the door. People are trying to subtly tell me that they hate Drazoth the baron, and wish they too had cool rooms. Unsurprisingly, we haven't seen the baron in a while, I assume he must have been murdered sooner or later during the random battles between angry dwarves.

The vandalism has delayed our crundle assault on the Snail Demon. Time is ticking faster than I wished, and it is time to lock down Ast. This time, she doesn't hide.

Farewell, friend...

The time has come... In a few days, the blood moon will rise, and she will turn...
The way behind her is now sealed. Ast will venture in the caverns, and et her curse consume her, and the monsters below, rather than her friends.
Ast ventures even deeper...
No sign of her foe
She reaches the lowest level of the cave.
The air is warm, filled with brimstone and ash.
The forge, she must be close to the magma pool...

The beast is nowhere to be found, Is this a trick?
She looks around, searches and explore. Snustrok is missing.
She hears strange noises in the forge...
Yes, that's where it must be hiding...

Deeper, always deeper...
The air is so hot, so dry... her throat hurts...
She must drink. A taste for blood.
No! Water will do!

So far from the moon, would she turn regardless?
Her blood boils, and screams for a drink.
The well! She remembers why the shaft was dug...
She reaches the bottom... pushes the door.

-Hey, what's up? says Olin, mason and millitary commander. Wanna help me wash my clothes?

What.

The.

Fuck.

The tunnel is always ready! soon we will have access to water again! I has been months since we could tend the wounded or wash our clothes, but soon, after only one striking of the earth, everything will be fixed. Water await, and we only need to pierce the waterfall's wall. It will be a dangerous task. I order the most insane dwarf to be designated as miner, everyone else will stay back. If the current is too strong, it will knock the miner out and drown him. that's why I'm sending the most insane of us. no point in getting rid of an almost neutral dwarf at this point...

We all look down from atop the channeled access point. The miners raises his pick, and water start to poor immediately...

...Annnnnnnnd immediately stops. Looks like the water froze instantly after the first pick strike, letting exactly one urist of water inside the shaft. Well that's anticlimatic.

''I froze the water with my mind!'' screams the miner, celebrating.

This makes no sence.
No.
Why is she here?

The commander should be dead. Must be dead.
She is shocked, stunned. Her brain refuses to work.
The commander speaks again,
Breaks the silence, as she did logic

''So, are you gonna help me wash the cloths? Or we could spare, if you prefer. I like sparing.
-How did you... how did you survive here?
-Oh, it's a fine place, really. I'm taking care of the laundry, and the others are getting some food.
-The others?

-Yes, Sodel is nearby, fishing.

''...And Bomrek must be hunting some frogs or something. yum, I can't wait.''

''Once they got enough food, they like to just explore the caverns with the engravers Atir and Lid, such jovial fellows!''

Oblivious. She is obviouslous
This place should be empty
Must be empty.
Why are they here?

It matters not.
There is no time
No time

Sound of magma,
Sound of water,
Flowing like blood
She thirsts, hunger.

She thirsts, hungers,
She came to die, not to feed.
How did they all...?
Must not...
Cannot...
Think about them
About food...

She rushes to the forge,
Grabs some rocks,
Hastily she locks herself in,
It's almost time
Must...
finish...
Wall...
So close, so close

Baron Drazoth enters the room, cancelling the task.

''Hey, since you're there, does that mean we can go back upstairs?''

''...Oh.''

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:18 am »

What?

No seriously, WHAT?!

You know what, frak them. They've been free booting down there while we were busy dealing with everything up top so they can all just freaking die the useless bastards.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:09:00 am by Senshuken »
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2014, 03:16:34 am »

I wonder what would come up if we took the oldest member of the Hall of Mortality and let him make engravings non-stop.

Well, so I decided to double check with your very first post, Drokles, and...

Now can you guess who was hiding away in the workshop while this was happening? Atir faffing Idsanad, that's who. He finally finished whatever he was working on and became a legendary engraver in the process. Just in time to mop up the remains of his friends.
''Once they got enough food, they like to just explore the caverns with the engravers Atir and Lid, such jovial fellows!''

There, you have it. Mystery solved. There's your oldest living engraver in the Hall of Mortality.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:20:12 am by Taupe »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »

''...Oh.''

I'm pretty sure that despite my imminent death, I'm still the longest living overseer of Doomforests!  Something which I will be forever proud of.  I just hope that you have another weaponsmith to replace me with.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »

''...Oh.''

I'm pretty sure that despite my imminent death, I'm still the longest living overseer of Doomforests!  Something which I will be forever proud of.  I just hope that you have another weaponsmith to replace me with.
You know, fluffywamblers and caveswallow men taught us that nothing is impossible in DF, so maybe you can kill it with a sock or something.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:20 pm »

You. When i took over, i had 2 days old reports about our mayor fisticcuffing a forgotten beast. Care to enlighten us? it seems that you forgot to share some important, non-soap-related details about the last days of your rule.

Fisticuffs with a beast? I suppose my dwarf might have participated in that fight, but I don't remember. Several, and I mean several dwarves wanted that beastie dead, so it would've been hard to tell if I was in on it from the overseer's perspective.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2014, 01:36:12 am »

When Darzoth opened the door, I was shocked. Confused. Speechless. The whole thing with the mysterious cavern dwellers lasted at most 20 seconds, after which I paused, took screenshots, and closed the game. This was so anticlimatic, I had to stop. As I tried to process what was happening, I spent a good fifteen minutes in my chair, giggling and shaking uncontrollably. (I was tired and full of caffeine). I'll be fair, this is easily in the top one of the things I experienced in a videogame. Each question I could think of only created more questions. so my brain just stopped, and i spent my time there, laughing maniacally. Because this was so absurd.

Then i made a little comic, to set the mood, raise the stakes, and get your hopes up. just so you could experience a fraction of the mind-fuckery I just went trough. But this wasn't the end. The tale only gets weirder from here on.

Dwarf fortress is a complex game, full of possibilities. It's programming is so advanced, that yesterday, while playing, it finally achieved the Singularity. But not the one you think of, oh sci-fi fans reading this. No, this is a special kind of singularity, where the game becomes aware of what it creates, realizes how fucking dumb it is, and stares at it with confusion and perplexity. Just as I had.

Hours pass, and I'm ready to watch everyone die horribly.  I unpause, and prepare for a massacre... And yet... It seems I'm not the only one to be shocked. Ast is a werebeast, hungering for blood, and right in front of her is the baron, and behind him 7 other unarmed juicy preys. A normal wereantelope (Oh wow i can't believe this juxtaposition of words exists) would immediately pounce at them and tear them apart. That's what happened with the previous transformations. But Ast is not doing that. She's staring at the unfinished wall, and the baron that just barged in casually, and she cannot process what is happening.

That's right, Ast is so mind-blown, that her confusion overwhelms her murderous, cursed instincts, and so she just stares at Darzoth, who slowly back the fuck away. i click her. Her primary motivation now is ''Building wall'', which is weird for a weebeast because enemies usually don't have a general screen with their skills and current job. The situation is indeed so stupid that the game refuses to ackowledge what's going on, and so WereAst just observes her unfinished barricade, unable to comprehend how its construction was ever suspended in the first place. A day pass, then two. Ast turns back into a dwarf. The cavern folks return to the forge, and find her naked, still staring at the wall. I click the wall, and cancel it. ast finally picks up her clothes.

Senshuken's men have finally been able to go outside. We still don't know which lever activates the main gate, so people are using the second floor of the militia tower to access the outside and gather weapons. Armed with swords and possibly something resembling armor, they catch and murder their first thief.

The first floor of the tower is turned into an armory, with weapon and armor stockpile. People simply refuse to remove the trees on the second layer, but it will eventually become a dinning hall with some food and drink stockpiles.

While gathering more weapons, the rookies  enter a three way battle between kobolds and giant dingos. Senshuken's training is finally paying off, Doomforest now has something resembling a milicia now!

People are still dying left and right, there's ghosts everywhere, and the population is competing to see who can murder their neighbor or destroy the baron's suite the fastest, but such trivial entertainments have become the norm in Doomforest. Casual manslaughter kind of grows on you.

It's unclear why most of the senior members of the fort decided to sneak past the barricade and dodge a forgotten beast for three months to live here. none of them seems sane enough to really explain. They have no weapons, no booze, no tools, no ressources, no food, no beds, and no form of organisation whatsoever. They are living on the dusty ground inbetween three gigantic magma pools, where they are stalked by crundles and a forgotten beast. Yet somehow, despite all this, they seem to have a happier life than the proper residents of the fortress. what a great fort doomforest is, guys.

Ast seems to be the first dwarf around here to suggest that people actually ''do'' things, rather than walk in the caverns and avoid crundle attacks as best they can, while playing hide and seek with Snustrok. speaking of which, where is the flying gigasnail? Oh. apparently it was living here for a while, but now it's somewhere else. That sounds like stellar organisation right there. Thank Armok the head of the milicia as well as the baron managed to combine their efforts to create such a great society.

Well, things are going to change. Ast decides that living on the ground and being aimless until a monster murders them is kind of a bad plan, so it's time they turn this place into something non-terrible. Here's a round-up of Astville's population:

*Ast: sole member of the Super Happy Team squad. Ranger by day, monstruous werebeast by night, and mason on the side.
*Darzoth: Baron and ex-overseer, and a decent weaponsmith. His new duties include architecture.
*Nil: Carpenter, and now designated woodcutter as well. we don't have an axe.
*Atir: One of the oldest resident of Doomforest, now a legendary engraver. As per Drokles' dying wish, he is to engrave nonstop to immortalize the story of the halls of mortality.
*Olin: Military commander, has no equipment, really good at sparing alone and not improving. Designated clotheswasheress. ''marksdwarf 1'' is very dumb, squad renamed to the Wishy-Washy Banjos.
*Bomrek: animal trainer. Olin's new training partner, candidate for the mining duties. We don't have a pick tho.
*Sodel: Fisherdwarf, main purveyor of food.
*Fikod: Farmer, relegated to haling random crap lying around in the caverns. 'Cause we have no farms.
*Azob: Woodworker: currently punching critters for food. Also an herbalist now.

So that's nine dwarves in total, with various skills, all of which are actually pointless because we have no tools, or ressources, beside 10 pieces of copper armor, and a single chunk of alumite. Oh, and very clean rags.

Ast spends a few days trying to designate a new base to be dug. she learns we have no pick. Maybe someone can chop down trees instead? she learns they have no axe either. Darzoth is mandating new battle axes, but there is no way to implement that, because they have no forge. Wait, do we... YES! We have an iron anvil lying somewhere in the caverns because... reasons. Fikod the hauler goes and fetch it. Ast builds a smelter, and starts to turn their masterwork quality copper armor into copper nuggets, which she combines into bars.

Yes, that's a really umb thing to do, but going back up would probably attract Snustrok. the beast is probably lurking on a superior level of the caverns, and it could walk in at any moment. for that reason, Astville must be sealed from the upside world. Sadly, they have nothing to build a wall with. even if they did, the access to this level is trough a long staircase hanging in the air, dug in a stone pillar. snustrok flies, to sealing the bottom wouldn't work, and they have no workable space to put a wall on the ceiling's level. They need materials for the wall and ramps both, and a pickaxe to reach the right spot. This will be fucking tricky.

Ast is smelting some stuff while the rest are gathering food. Everything is going well, until everyone realizes that the next full moon is really, really soon. All this faffing about and organising the citizens of Astville took more time than anyone realised. here's n interesting fact about the stocks down here: 1 (one) alumite chunk, currently used to build a smelter. There is nothing to seal Ast alone, and no time to dismantle the smelter Fuuuuuck. That's when i realize how smart and crucial PsychoAngel's rule had been for us all along: We have one bar of soap near the well. I'm not sure how big Psychoangel had his soap bars made, but apparently it's possible to build a wall out of it. Yup. We are locking a crazy werewolf away behind a giant bar of soap. In a volcano. desperate times, man.

The blood moons come and goes, and ast rages and claws at her soapy confine. In a violation of all reason and logic, the barricade holds. Astville endures for another month.

Yes

You read that right.

A single bar of soap saved the fortress.

PsychoAngel is chatting with some friends in the dinning hall, when suddenly, he stops. He's looking strangely at everyone now, and it's kinda creepy.
''Mortals! he says with a booming voice. I have chosen this noble dwarf as my vessel!
-Who... who are you? asks a brewer, hesitantly.
-I am.... THE GOD OF SOAP! I may not be the most notable deity, but i reward those who serve me justly. You lot may not fully understand it, but on this day, the one you call PsychoAngel greatly promoted the cause of soap. To reward his devotion and fervor, I will now use my divine glory to bestow upon him an artifact of immense value!

Le Grand Soaper stands up, then walks to the stockpiles, gathering stone, leather, and bones. With a eerie glow in his eyes, he begins a mysterious construction. Soon, the work is complete, and PsychoAngel awakens in the craftdwarf's workshop, surrounded by many bystander, with only the faintest understanding of what just transpired. In his hands lies the result of his god-induced labor...

''So... i got taken over by a being of divine power, and all i got was this lousy mug.
-Well, he DID mention he was a minor deity.

Copper bars have been created. The magma smelter is dismantled, and the single block of alumite is used to erect a forge instead. construction of an axe begins. The woodworker begin their work, and cut down some bloodthorn trees.

Astville kicks into high gear. The wood is stored inside the random room to the north, and used to build workshops of all kind. food is troed there, then transfered in a few barrels.

''We will need beds as well, declares the baron. and a pickaxe. Let's revert the forge to a smelter and turn the rest of the armor into copper bars!''

It's a race against time, but for now, Astville thrives. They have no luxury yet, but basic industries are starting to emerge. At least, they have enough room cleared out to store and build as they see fit. the month passes by, and Ast spends another night locked in the well room. despite everything, life down here is simple, and somewhat safe. they are slowly building everything they need out of bamboo and mushrooms. They are living wacky minor hijinks. It's basically Gilligan Island, except instead of almost getting rescued at the end of each episode, they almost get devoured by a wereantelope.  A strange, yet stable existence, for the time being.

Meanwhile on the surface, just as the dwarves finally manage to open the front gate...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:49:56 am by Taupe »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:45 am »

It's kind of sad that its generally safer and easier to create a second settlement in the monster infested caverns under Doomforest itself then to life in Doomforests proper.

At least now when Doomforests gets over its murder spirals, the surviving sane dwarfs will have somewhere to retreat to in order to recover. In the unlikely event that Doomforests can actually get its shit together, we can expand and absorb Astville back into the fold.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2014, 09:44:53 am »

To think that all of this started for want of some water. I try to avoid the caverns, because !!fun!! things always comes from them. After a fire breathing lizard forgotten beast wrecked my 2nd fort and killed the entire militia (three times in a row), I just keep the caverns sealed.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »

YES! YES! I KNEW THE SOAP WOULD COME IN HANDY!

Holy shit guys, this is getting better by the day.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »

This is my fave fort to read since Battlefailed.  Yes, it's reached the epic level.  I want to nominate this one to the Hall of Legends.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »

You've clearly been underselling yourself, Taupe, this is incredible.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2014, 09:19:54 pm »

So, let me get this straight..
The only functioning part of the fortress is a small community of geezers living in the deepest part of Doomforests, basically as far away from the other dwarfs as possible. They have established a small commune of mutual trust and solidarity, a happier society than any dwarf can realistically hope for, in the backyard of the winged snail terror under the fiasco which is Doomforests. And now they've incorporated a werebeast into their midst by sealing her in soap once every month...
The underground community of doomforests is a beautiful metaphor for something, but I don't know what.
I don't even... Just.. Wat
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:47:14 pm by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2014, 10:00:22 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, you're all awesome!

Just letting you know that there won't be much updating until like, tuesday. I'll be very busy with holiday events and work until then. I have some spare time to play, but the next hours will mostly be used to pause and micromanage the two communities. So, no real progression or update material yet.  I've taken the liberty to rename all the Astville residents with custom professions all staring with Astville's X, so that they all show up grouped together in dwarf therapist. This should make announcements less confusing (i.e: where is this battle occuring, up or downstairs?), and micromanagement of the tasks down there simpler, for me and the next overseers both.

Here's a teaser tho: Our army is nowhere near competent enough to defeat a minotaur on their own, but I have a plan which revolves around my totem animal
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:04:12 pm by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 144