Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 431056 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Megabattle in Doomforests - To be Engraved on a Stone Wall Near You!
« Reply #315 on: December 29, 2014, 11:46:50 pm »

Hm, I may use Smuntsu's office as a cheap way of disposing annoyances.
And I could also try to find a way to put his little goblin friend down there too.

Weren't you supposed to be asleep? :P

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2014, 12:05:31 am »

He's your minister now...

Weren't you supposed to be asleep?

Doomforests bends your mind, man. One cannot rest until he has gone insane or one year has passed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:07:29 am by Taupe »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but when I look at the map, I notice on level 124, there seams to be a cave spider, because there is webbing everywhere. I would not go there if I was you: my experiences with cave spiders usually end with dehydrated soldiers and my entire militia being webbed everywhere. This image really expresses the spiders that I have encountered, and how hard they are to kill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:03 am »

Also every time you kill the cave spider, it gets rebooted.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2014, 01:16:53 am »

I love how, true to its name, Doomforests is packed with trees above and below that every overseer is terrified of trying to cut down. There's good reason for it of course, but I can't help but feel the Dwarves might start to think the wood might be haunted. Cursed by a mighty Elf King in histories past, who let the trees to forever call upon all manner of beasts, monsters, and armies to protect it.

Why do you think it was literally called the Forests of Doom from the very beginning?

Or maybe it's just paranoia getting to the dwarves, most of whom only know about the old terrors from second hand sources.  Who can say? All I can say is that there is a definite lack of bins in the fort. On a heavily forested area on top and in the depths. Should we fight a probably imaginary curse and take what should be ours? Or do we learn from the past and prioritize survival over comfort?
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2014, 01:52:46 am »

Thanks guys!
I'm moving from Japan to Denmark, my home country. Been living here for half a year now. Later in the new year we plan to move to the States.
It's really very nice to congratulated, my wife will love to hear that. :D
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2014, 03:43:18 am »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but when I look at the map, I notice on level 124, there seams to be a cave spider, because there is webbing everywhere. I would not go there if I was you: my experiences with cave spiders usually end with dehydrated soldiers and my entire militia being webbed everywhere. This image really expresses the spiders that I have encountered, and how hard they are to kill.

Not that there isn't a GCS lurking somewhere in the caverns or anything (of course there is. . . ) but seeing spider webs doesn't necesarily mark that to be true. The webs are randomly spawned whether or not a GCS exists on the map. I do know you can capture the more normal-sized cave spider and enslave them to create a silk farm, something I have never attempted.

Also, Taupe, if you have a DMFA account you can add your own Points of Interest, which would add a lot of detail to the map.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:59:12 am by Salmeuk »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2014, 12:47:39 pm »

Well, there's a cave spider in our cage room, so...

EDIT: i'm adding some points to the map here and there... Will add more once I can think of relevant information to convey
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:09:23 pm by Taupe »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2014, 09:49:22 pm »

I am looking at the fort, and it looks like the other 1/2 of the fort could be sealed and reclaimed quite easily: just deal with the vampire and plug the holes around the chasm/waterfall (I am not sure what it is) (flying creatures could easily get in). In addition it looks like some overseer planned the hallways leading from the chasm/waterfall to allow wagons access if a bridge was placed in front of the waterfall/chasm. They would enter from the bottom corner of 159-158, and be amazed by dwarven architecture. +1 to whoever made it. That's all that I have seen from the map.

Also, Minions have poor imagination, but make up for it by making safe high quality impenetrable* stuff.

* Warranty void if moved, dismantled by tantrum, or used to make elf lovers nobles happy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:51:38 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2014, 09:52:29 pm »

Well, I forgot to save what little I made on the fort on the way home, it wasn't much anyway. So, Taupe, you may or may not be haunted by an angry ghostly lumberjack, so Skaia's story of the cursed forest may be true. Also, I found this out:
The plot thickens.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2014, 12:30:55 am »

Interesting. Be looking forward to what happens in the future.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:10 am »

Uggh, another ghost. No, I couldn't save you all. Yes, I'm very sorry about that. No, I don't plan on dying soon just to make things fair. Yes, you will get a friggin coffin.

In the meantime, if you've enjoyed the storytelling, why not take a look at Whisperwhip, my ongoing fortress? It is the Captain Star of fortresses, with countless brave dwarfs stranded at the end of the world. Drama and problems arise, yet in the end, the long-awaited climax they so desperately await will not come. For the bane of the heroic is not death nor disgrace, but the slow, agonizing kiss of being discarded...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2014, 03:01:22 am »

I am looking at the fort, and it looks like the other 1/2 of the fort could be sealed and reclaimed quite easily: just deal with the vampire and plug the holes around the chasm/waterfall (I am not sure what it is) (flying creatures could easily get in). In addition it looks like some overseer planned the hallways leading from the chasm/waterfall to allow wagons access if a bridge was placed in front of the waterfall/chasm. They would enter from the bottom corner of 159-158, and be amazed by dwarven architecture. +1 to whoever made it. That's all that I have seen from the map.

Also, Minions have poor imagination, but make up for it by making safe high quality impenetrable* stuff.

* Warranty void if moved, dismantled by tantrum, or used to make elf lovers nobles happy.

In fact, there is a bridge that spans the gap. I believe Taupe outlined the levers but I left notes in-game way back in 1052. There is a lever that retracts and extends a bridge that passes just in front of the chasm.

Mate888, making that our new entrance might not be a bad idea.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »

Well, my sister showed me a series called "Attack on Titan" and I can't stop watching it, so the updates may come a little bit slower than Taupe's, but they will come, don't panic or throw tantrums. Just one more chapter ant I'll play. One more chapter and I'll play...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:05:17 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2014, 05:15:24 pm »

Fprtress crypt, 12 of Granite, 1056
Mate the 888th is paying his respects to Darzoth, his dead cousin.
-Well, cousin, at least you died as a dwarf, cruelly decapitated by a giant sludge, I can't imagine a dwarfier way to die, especially after years of living in the caverns. At least your cavetown was useful for us now, so your death wasn't completely useless, wich is more than many dwarves can say, but, okay, I have to go now, before people start looking at me weird for talking to a tomb, see you soon, cousin, I doubt it'll be much time till we meet again.

Journal of Mate the 888th

12 of Granite

I feel an otherworldy presence on this fort, I think that spirits may start haunting people if we don't memoralize them. I don't blame them, I would be angry too if I was rotting in a vampire fortress with everyone else not giving a shit about my eternal rest, and angry dwarf souls are allowed to leave Armok's heavenly dining halls to go haunt people, yell at cats, possess beds and overall be assholes. So I'd rather appease them before they do that.

-----------------------------------------

I noticed that the "Engraver-Guy" isn't actually a guy, but she didn't seemed to complain about her name, probably because her tounge is rotten and she's too stressed to do anything but make random scrabblings in the walls, ok then.

-----------------------------------------

The asshole mayor demanded to make shields and then banned their exports. The carpenter will just make round planks and throw them at her face, I doubt the idiot will notice the difference.
Also, I would recommend the mayor Sodel to be less annoying on her demands, because Minister Smuntsu is feeling quite hungry right now.
If I channel the roof to the gobbo's office, will I be able to put a trapdoor there without getting the greenskin out? I'll consult that with the most experienced dwarves of the fort later on.

---------------------------------------------

Apparently, Mr. Woodcut is lacking the wood to throw at the mayor's face build beds, so I'll have to make him go into the caves and chop down some goblin cap, the one near the crundle cementery, so the basalt door is now unforbidden, good luck Mr. Woodcut, and for Armok's sake, RUN!!

I can't comprehend the inaccesibility of the items in stockpiles.

The pansy elf is not moving, the damn sheep-shagger tree hugger is just standing there, looking at the fort with his cow and his caged monkeys!
WHY WON'T YOU MOVE?!
Oh. Maybe it's because silly Taupe marked good old Smuntsu as an invader in the ledgers, so the pansy does not want to get close to, what he thinks it is, a goblin infested fort. I guess the smell of rotten flesh may help with his assumptions. But he is not leaving either, he's just standing there. Ugh.

------------------------------------------------------------

Er, Mr. Woodcut? You took the blood thorn down but you forgot the wood! Mr. Woodcut! Well, fuck you too!

I just noticed how many goddamn logs are lying outside in the caverns and no one is grabbing them. COME ON!! I expanded the Doctor's Lair to those three logs and the doors are unforbidden and unlocked, so come and grab them!!

Okay, I have to get a drink to forget the incompetence of my comrades. I'm pretty sure my cousin would make a better job at hauling wood and he's DEAD. AND A DEAD NOBLE FOR DOUBLE USELESSNESS!
Ugh. I need some rest.

EDIT: I took a look at the vampire's personality and he is, literally, a sociopath. Not only that but he likes nature and dislikes craftdwarfship. HE LIKES NATURE AND DISLIKES CRAFTDWARFSHIP.
We must not let that soulless elf lover live.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:36:21 pm by mate888 »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 144