Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426982 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: The Megabattle in Doomforests - To be Engraved on a Stone Wall Near You!
« Reply #360 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »

Ever growing piles of bodies, ghosts haunting survivors of the past massacres, paranoia and a powerful vampire closed in secluded parts of fortress. Still, none of the threats managed to bring it to its end. This makes Doomforests a masterpiece on par with Boatmurdered or Roomcarnage.

It would be an honour if I could be dwarfed and have my place within those accursed halls, as a metalsmith or possibly a miner.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 04, 2015, 07:08:05 pm »

Ever growing piles of bodies, ghosts haunting survivors of the past massacres, paranoia and a powerful vampire closed in secluded parts of fortress. Still, none of the threats managed to bring it to its end. This makes Doomforests a masterpiece on par with Boatmurdered or Roomcarnage.

It would be an honour if I could be dwarfed and have my place within those accursed halls, as a metalsmith or possibly a miner.
Well, you're lucky, a metalsmith just came to the fort with the migrants!

Ahhhhhhh. You got the wrong person. I am the super minion, the leader of the oppressed. Don't demote me!

Also, if you want to impress the elves, build them a shrine out of wooden logs. I am sure they would find it charming.
Oh, sorry about that, if you keep up your work, you'll be an ultraminion!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 04, 2015, 10:11:41 pm »

Journal of Mate the 888th, Overseer of Doomforests
7 of Felsite
((OOC: Iamblichos, you have been dwarfed as a gemcutter.))
A methalsmith called Dark One (what an ominous name, eh?) has come to the fort, saying that he wanted to see his wife.
-Who's your wife?
-She's Geshud Oltareshesh.
-Geshud... But she is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Erm... How old are you again?
-106!
-Hm, you don't look skilled enough to be one of them, nor you belong to that many forts, did your wife ever told you that she was a vampire?
-What?
-And she's dead.
-WHAT?!
-Yes. Well, you don't look very skilled, but if any dwarf appears misteriously dead, you'll be used to feed the crundles...
-Y...Yes... Sir!
-Good, good.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The peasant is apparently a skilled speardwarf, we may want him for other task that's not dying when fighting the elves. Aswell as a marksdwarf with the scouts.
Well, I guess the scouting party may turn out to be an elite group after all.
They are ordered to station at the courtyard, once they are all outside, the fort will be sealed and they would leave the courtyard to explore the surrounding area for elves. If the elves are found and there's no way to escape from them, one of the soldiers will be left behind to distract the elves, while the rest flee to the courtyard. May Armok have mercy on their souls.
That's the attitude, soldier!

13 of Felsite
The soldiers go outside and explore the edges of our dominions. No elves to be seen. I tell them to climb the nearby hills. You neven know when or from where will the ambush come. You only know it'll come, and it's better to be prepared for it.

15 of Felsite
Well, I read some news about who was fighting who, and the elves apparently aren't at war with us. That's dissapointing. Maybe if I gave them wood they would have got more easly pissed.
Well, false alarm, everyone! No elven siege now, no elven siege this year, get back into the fort.
Now that I found out about the talented dwarves in the scouting party, I may aswell try to form some kind of elite force out of this militia.
Bravery is a very valued factor in dwarven society. Sadly, bravery can get easly mixed with suicidal stupidity on this times.

19 of Felsite
Wait... If there isn't any incoming elven attack (those cowards know that without their tamed beasts they can't even fight a dwarven militia), that means we can end our vampirism problem right now!
We must lure him outside of the fort, to his bridge, and hold him there enough time to close it with him standing on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

21 of Felsite
If a precise incision is made in an exact part of a kobold skull, it can be used as a warhorn. Using it I attracted Osp Shockedrooms to the bridge, right when it opened.
-Osp Shockedrooms.
-Fuck you and your monologing! I'm on break!
-What?
Osp then ran trought the bridge before anyone managed to pull the lever.
Crap.
Shit.
Fuck.
Osp Shockedrooms is now running free on the forests.
What have I done?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:19:04 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 04, 2015, 11:10:14 pm »

The vampire decided to take a break instead of stationing himself on the bridge, the asshole.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 04, 2015, 11:39:54 pm »

Diary of Dr Taupe II
15th of Felsite

I have finally been able to rest. For months now, my only solace had been alcohol. Today I was finally given some time to sleep. The ghost of my old lumberjack friend is now gone, hopefully for good. News of the exterior world doesn't seem good, and Skaia shared his doubts about the overseer's sanity with me last night. Not sure we can do anything about that. The good news is, we are not at war with the elves. I guess, so long as Ost remains sealed, Doomforests will be able to thrive. No one is foolish enough to unleash him in the wood, thank Armok.

Speaking of Ost, I had an idea. While giving a hand with the depot mess, I was able to secure a bag left by the vampire, before I sent him in the forsaken half of these halls. Most of the books he carried in there were ancients, and in old, forgotten languages. It may be a while before I can decipher everything. The elves also had various books on them, altho I doubt any of those were meant for trade. Merchant posessions or reads for the traders while travelling across the country, most like. They may contain useful knowledge.

20th of Felsite

Translation is slow, but most of my old medicine books are inspired from elven, human or even older tongues. Thank Armok most of my old tomes were stored in the domitory when the tragedy struck, while we waited for Psychoangel to set up a proper hospital. So far, I have neen digging into a very old religious tome. Apparently, Nifih was a goddess of fertility, most associated with pregnancy and children. Surprisingly, tho, she was a human goddess, not native to any dwarven society that I know of. How Ost came to worship her is beyond my knowledge for now... but his prayer to this foreign deity is not unique. Many strange creatures, such as olm men, cave fish people, reptile men, snakekin, and many other strange reptilian creatures, received the worhsip, or were cursed by this strange human deity.

The reason why so many lizard beings would seek the grace of Nifih is uncertain...

I find no mention of any new worshipers in the last three centuries. Only new curses. Ost had been collecting dates and names very carefully in this strange leather-bound tome of his, as if he was studying and cataloging others who shared his curse. It seems that most of the worshipers of Nifih were killed, or morphed into monstrosities by the goddess. There is, however, one name that appears in the list, yet remains absent from the curse mentions.

Buqui MutedBrass.

Whomever he is, I must find him, if alive he still is after 300 years of bloodshed and terror. He is my best chance of puzzling out what is dragging this world into darkness.

Spoiler: OOC NOTES (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:32:56 am by Taupe »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2015, 01:45:46 am »

All right, poll results seem to agree almost unanimously. Will update stuff and read everything when I am finally reunited with my PC tomorrow.

HANG IN THERE GUYS
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2015, 02:47:45 am »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic
21st Felsite

I'm glad the elves haven't sent an army in response to our attack on the elves. Being the fortress's head trader isn't much WHEN THERE IS NO TRADING! Of course, no one from the attack made it back home, so as long as it doesn't become a pattern we should be be okay. I need to get to that Overseer position. Only then I'll be able to create the TSP and protect the fort.

Talking with friends has helped me stay grounded and focused. I've chatted with Taupe and Max the Minion here and there. Since it seems like he's not a Vampire himself, I need to remember to talk with the new migrant named "Dark One." Well that's not ominous at all is it? Of course, if a vampire were to marry someone and not kill them, they'd have to be pretty deep into the whole "darkness" thing in the first place. Anyways, if he's dealing finding out the identity and death of his wife and immediately being put to work, he could use some help. Doomforests is not kind to the distracted.

Speaking of Taupe, he's been talking recently about some books he picked up from Osp and the dead elves. I didn't get all what he was saying, something about a human love god who kept cursing everyone and attacking all of her followers. Kind, sane lady, huh? Taupe talks about "the world falling into darkness" or something? Personally, I think it sounds just as crazy as the stories Mate888 keeps ranting about. However, I tend to lend credibility to a scholar surrounded by books in five or more languages far more than the guy who shouts at birds in the trees, telling them to stop spying and stealing our fruit. Yes, he's actually gotten to the point where birds eating fruit is seen as an omen of invasion. So I'll get some news from the traders from the rest of this year. Find out what I hear.

I think we need to get our current overseer out of here. Yes, he's created an actual military, found out Osp's true name, and appears to be keeping the fort relatively stable for the first time in this history of this fortress. But seriously, literally EVERY SINGLE REPORT I've read from him has been about Elves, Vampires, or Ghosts. I gotta prevent him from making a scene when the humans show up in the summer. With any luck they won't transform into werebeasts this time. 

I want to become overseer in his place, but that's still a few years away from success. Perhaps I can get someone else in the interim before I take the seat, but who?

I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:07 am »

Journal of Dark One
7th Felsite

Finally found that fortress where my wife has gone, it's called Doomforests. I talked with the overseer, Mate the 888th. He seemed to be worried about the fate of this settlement, or maybe about his own fate? He told me that Geshud died, and that she was a vampire?! I couldn't believe him, but she could be infected during her adventures with that bastard Osp Shockedroomed. There was something wrong with him, I have seen the way he looked at my wife. I must find him. I also need to find the tomb of my wife, if there is any in this accursed place. I must be cautious if I want to find the truth about my deceased wife. First, I need to get a room, and a job. I think that metalsmith might be needed here.

I took one room as my own. Exhausted after the long journey I have fallen asleep.

8th Felsite

I woke up in the cold floor. I get out of my room, and walked the corridor dimly lit by the torch I hold in my hand. There are ominous shadows growing on the blood soaked walls. I felt strong pain in my chest, and felt my body getting more numb while moving on. Finally I reached big antechamber. Soap pillars were holding the ceiling. There was an adamantine table with body of my wife lying on it. Osp Shockedroomed was praying to a mysterious force. As I entered the chamber, the gaze of his cold, empty sunken eyes landed on me. I was horrified. Suddenly the body of Geshud starts to shiver, and she comes back to life for a brief moment. I say I will meet you in the deaths halls my love. I notice also a weird snail and goat monsters. After Geshud's body falls on the floor, a horde of wereantelopes appears and tears me apart.

I woke up in my bed, with troubles of catching air, as if something heavy lied on my chest, as if something dark was growing from my heart and killing me from inside. Dark One is not the fancy name I have took as my own. Since early childhood I am tormented by horrifying nightmares, some of them happening in reality later on. The elders of the fortress where I grew up called me Dark One. I still remember as in my early childhood I was sneaking into the forges area. I wanted to hear the song that metal sings with each stroke of hammer laid by metalsmith. And legendary metalsmiths moved hearts with their work not only bringing high quality metal craft, but also the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. But when I started smithing on my own, I couldn't hear the song anymore. I heard only screams and moaning of the damned, the frightening story each ore told. Rocks are communicating, and telling everything as a metalsmith strikes them with hammer, or miner strikes with his pickaxe. If I can't get any information about death of my wife from dwarves or that vampire, ores would tell me sooner or later. I am still accomodating to this place.

9th Felsite

I was watching the overseer. Apparently this place is ruled by insane dwarf with paranoia, but as long as he's not a threat to my research I have nothing against him. I only want to find out what happened to Geshud. She was the only dwarf who could understand me, and soothe my nerves. The night terrors, the suffering was much easier to endure with her on my side. Anyway, passing through the corridor I found out that there is a goblin closed in one of the offices. I know their language a bit, as I liked spending time with captured enemies. Luckily one of the goblins that were captured in the mountainhome knew our language a bit. That goblin might be a valuable source of information. I will talk to him in time, where no one can interrupt me.

21st Felsite

Long time has passed, and nothing important for my research to note happened, except my nightmares. Since coming to this place, thay are getting more disturbing. Also still haven't found a good moment to talk with that goblin, or anyone in particular. This is the one I'm most afraid of:

I was standing in the endless space, beyond time, beyond suffering. I looked at the Armok himself, taking his hammer and taking the world we live upon the anvil of creation. As he strikes it with his hammer, screams of tormented creatures, and moaning of the dead could be heard. A terrifying song for Armoks delight. But I was standing still, watching destruction and creation of the new world. The ever growing conflict. All the view is so unconcievable that....

As he ends he takes in his mighty hand, and throws me away, then the god of blood says:
You are the cursed one, you shall exist for eternity, to endure all the suffering that has ever come to my worlds.

I woke up, but something was changed. From now on, the voices, whispers and screams appear in my mind. But its not insanity, the rocks. The rocks are telling me the story, it tells me everything. I can't escape from the blank gaze of rocks, from its voice. Blood shall be spoiled, and bodies will rot. That's the way of all the flesh. Only rock, eternal witness to the whole suffering stays until Armok reforges the world.

I came here to find out truth, to cease in my existence, to end this madness.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:47:50 am by Dark One »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »

((OOC: Iamblichos, you have been dwarfed as a gemcutter.))

Score!  If you could hit me up with my character description either on here or in PM, I would appreciate it... no rush.

Loving the research on Ost and Nifih; perhaps Iamblichos can assist in some of the more mystical research.  He's very... fond... of crystals.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2015, 04:31:27 pm »

23 of Felsite
((OOC: BTW, awesome journals))
-CLOSE THE DOORS! SEAL THE WALL! DRAW THE BRIDGES!
-Did the elves come here to invade?
-NO, IT'S A BEING FAR MORE POWERFUL AND DANGEROUS THAT ANY NATURAL BEING!
-Osp was unsealed?
-He ran trought the bridge! The plan failed! Seal the fort!
-Sir! Not everyone is inside!
-What?! IAMBLICHOS! FOR THE BEARDS OF MY 887 FOREFATHERS! COME INSIDE NOW! IT'S AN ORDER!
-Yes, sir! Just let me go for my stuff!
-What!? IAMBLICHOS! RETURN TO THE FORT RIGHT NOW OR I WILL GET YOU EXECUTED!
-Osp is coming!
-What! Everyone who is outside the fort is by him or herself now! The fort is sealed!
-Iamblichos! Stakud! Get back into the fort!
Iamblichos is an asshole, apparently, but he's a part of the fort, we can't loose him and HE'S ENTERING OSP'S PART OF THE FORT!
GET BACK HERE OR I WILL BANISH YOU FROM OUR FORT!
Osp smelled his blood, and now he's running towards him! Is he sacrificing himself for the good of the fort?!
No, he is just sleeping on a wooden bed beside a goblin skeleton. The selfish asshole.
What? Stakud is running into Ost's fort too?!
-It's Skazul!
Whatever! He is also trying to lure him in! What are they thinking?!
Skazul decided to run away in the last moment, and as Osp decided to enter his half of the fort, I doubt that Iamblichos will survive.
Osp went closer to Iamblichos.
-Wake up.
-Gaah!
-I was feeling hunger.
-D... Demon! You will never defeat the dwarves of Doomforests! Dwarfkind will endure! You will eventually fall! You-- Ghhh...
Osp drank all of Iamblichos' blood, leaving him but a dead carcass.
((OOC: Sorry, Iamblichos. I hoped that Osp would station on the bridge as ordered, but instead of that he decided to be "on break", so he just ate you. If it makes you feel better, your sacrifice saved Skazul the marksdwarf.))
Rest in peace, Iamblichos, your sacrifice will never be forgotten.
Osp then gets close to the wall of the lever room.
-Thanks for the dinner, overseer. If it wasn't by your incompetence, I would have not been able to eat so well.
-The beings you have murdered will be avanged.
-Heh. Dwarves are so stubborn. You aren't even able to fight goblins, you think you will be able to fight ME?!
-You are a dwarf, too. And it does not matter how immortal are you. All dwarves can be killed.
-He, he, he... You come and try, I may aswell have a gourmet made here in my half of the fort. If you were so kind as to throw yourself to me on a suicidal fashion as you did with the giant snail, I would be most grateful.
-How... How did you know that?
-The snail's corpse is surrounded by dwarves, is not that hard to figure it out.
-Oh.
-Well, enough talking, one should not grow attached to the cattle one will later eat. See you soon, meal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 of Hemetite, 1056
It's now summer, and the words of the vampire are still haunting me.
Are we just cattle waiting to be inebitably eaten due to my incompetence, like the poor Iamblichos?
Isn't the whole dwarven race, just that? Cattle, trying to escape its inevitable doom?
No. No, I will not belive in those lies. We cannot give up, we are dwarves! Several evil races alredy tried to make us disappear, and all of them failed, everytime they tried to kill us, we rose up again, stronger than ever before. We are the chosen ones by Armok, god of gods!
And this fort is the proof of the invincibility of the dwarven race. We are not cattle. We will never be slaves. We were not made for being jailed underground, terrified of the demons, when we are the ones who should inspire fear on a demon's heart. We are warriors! And I swear, over my 887 forefathers' tombs, and on my mother's beard, that the vampire known as Osp Shockedrooms will die here, on Doomforests! That the thousands of our kind who were murdered by he, and the other beings cursed by Nifih will be avanged! Doomforests will not fall!
But everyone will fall to Doomforests.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

Journal of Dark One
1st Hematite

I saw Osp a few days ago. I don't know why, but he somehow managed to kill one of dwarves, Iamblichos was his name. May he rest in peace. At least now I know that I can't confront the vampire lord on my own, but maybe using that goblin Smunstu as mediator might be a good idea. This way I won't meet the same end as poor Iamblichos. First, I must find tomb of my beloved Geshud, maybe some of the more sane dwarves can help me, as I'm sure the overseer is on the edge of insanity. I was watching him while he was shouting at birds, paranoia grows within him, and soon it may change him into another monster trying to feed on the helpless. This reminds me to start mediations when no one can spot me, otherwise I'll end as a vampire bait. As for the overall state of the fortress, it has seen its better days, but its enough for me. I will stay here as long as the death of my wife remains secret to me. I still haven't got time to "interrogate" ores, as I haven't found forges, and haven't got orders to work. Although each rock whispers and tells stories of bravery, foolishness and impending doom, this is none of my interest, and I cannot force it to tell me about my wife. I presume that only dwarves can help me now. Once I saw a doctor carrying a bunch of old tomes. I crossed his way a few times. The look in his eyes, full of suffering yet emanating with curiosity. I feel weak, I need to sleep.

I wake up in the middle of the forest valley. It's sunny, warm evening. Light beams spread between treetops. There are apple trees growing all around. The ravens are seating on the branches. They all look at me, like they are looking at a helpless prey. I don't know why, but I move in the sundown direction. Suddenly I stop, and look at a pack of elves. They are praying, but one of them stopped, and looked at me with a mischievous smile. Then all the ravens gather upon me, and attack me. First gouging out my eyes, then removing geldables and tearing all my skin apart. Everything turns around, I see my corpse from above, cleaned from all the flesh by murderous birds. Once a living dwarf, now only a skeleton lying in the middle of forest.

I wake up in my bed, in the middle of night. I woke up screaming, and probably interrupting everyone elses sleep. The rock. It whispers, it giggles. Uncaring to the ongoing tragedy. The rock, its lifespan surpasses that of any being except Armok himself. I won't sleep for a few days.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 05, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »

... dang.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »

Still, there is place for Iamblichos the second in the future. Maybe the saved dwarf would take the name of his saviour, as a gratitude for the sacrifice?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2015, 05:42:09 pm »

Pulling himself from the wreckage of his recent body, Iamblichos sputters "I curse this Osp fellow, I will haunt... I will haunt... oh t'hell with it, he's a vampire, a haunting vengeful spirit would be like sweet music to his ears.  I know...

"I will take over another, and use him to poison the undead using the powers of CRYSTAL TECHNOLOGY!  Yesss.... the undead hate diamonds of all types.  I will find the perfect light yellow diamond and use it to focus the rays of the sun onto that perambulatin' corpse and burn him to a crisp!"

((OOC: If dwarves had the concept of crystal weenies, our boy would be one.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:56:24 pm by Iamblichos »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »

Pulling himself from the wreckage of his recent body, Iamblichos sputters "I curse this Ost fellow, I will haunt... I will haunt... oh t'hell wi'it, he's a vampire, a haunting vengeful spirit would be like sweet music t' his ears.  I know...

"I will take over another, and use him to poison the undead using the powers of CRYSTAL TECHNOLOGY!  Yesss.... the undead hate diamonds of all types.  I will find the perfect light yellow diamond and use it to focus the rays of the sun onto that perambulatin' corpse and burn him to a crisp!"

And so the Iamblichos is back, with even greater hatred for evil. We greet you warmly within the living again.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 144