Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 427001 times)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
Re: The Fall of East Doomforests - East and West reunited at last :')
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2015, 01:36:25 am »

The game crashed and nothing of what I wrote happened. I'll do it again but for now let's pretend it didn't happen.
I'm so frustrated right now.
Mate888, Bay12er is throwing a tantrum!
During Taupe's turn a crash happened when Snustrok attacked the first time. Later when he played again Snustrok reappeared. The game will probably progress in the same way with another siege as well.

Journal of Drokles the Second:

Today I only made coffins non-stop. I'm becoming better and better, guided by the hand of the deceased overseer whose name I now carry. It was a beautiful moment when the wall was finally torn down between the mad doctor's part of Doomforests and the one that belonged to Ost. Many of the dead on the other side I'd never seen alive. I only came to Doomforests some time before Ost was recognized for what he is.
Now it falls to me to honour these fallen dwarves in death. How many of our brothers and sisters will finally be immortalized by my hand? Their fight to preserve Doomforests is the stuff of legends!

I had a disturbing conversation with mate888 today. I asked him if I could be relieved of some of my other duties and be allowed to only focus on coffin making. When I made my suggestion to him he gave me a sharp suspicious look showing obvious distrust of me on account of what I can only guess to be my repeated attempts at instigating war with the elves. Since the reunion, however, there's no need for war, there are plenty of corpses to keep me occupied for the time being. Finally our ruler said to me that he knows that the elves are not scheming anything for the moment and that I could not convince him otherwise. Almost reflexively I put forth the following argument for which I still feel I ought to be hammered.
 - My lord and overseer, can you remind me why you are called Mate the 888th?
 - Why, of course, I am the 888th in a long line of first-borns all given the name Mate.
 - And when did Armok in his infinite wisdom allow himself to put dwarves in the world?
 - ... It is currently the year 1056, no?
 - You realize that most of your ancestors would have had to have children before the age of 2, right?
 - Look, this is why you need someone like me, I believe you are confused about certain historical and political matters. I agree that in your perceptive nature you have correctly deduced that the elves are not a threat to us at present, but the time may come when you will seek my counsel on the matter further. Think about it.
With that I left before giving him time to reply.
I am a horrible, horrible dwarf...

There is some commotion from the halls upstairs, apparently something big is happening. Ever since Ost was elected mayor political intrigue and mistrust has been the norm in Doomforests.
A group of dwarves have taken to researching a human outpost, DateTattoed. The goddess they worship there is called Nifih, apparently she has been responsible for some of the curses that have put werebeasts and vampires in the world. The mad doctor has convinced good dwarves to devote much of their time to the study of this subject. I wonder if he has also convinced Baby minister and Smunstu.
We all have different ways of coping with tragedy, and believe me Taupe II, as the sole survivor of the goat and snail onslaught of 1054, has seen his share.

OOC:
Just found myself wondering, do we still have no military or weapons industry?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:55:06 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2015, 03:15:54 am »

During Taupe's turn a crash happened when Snustrok attacked the first time. Later when he played again Snustrok reappeared. The game will probably progress in the same way with another siege as well.

Not really. i don't recall any crash regarding smunstu, altho there were a lot of them at some other point. I took a habbit of playing for a few weeks at most, save, let my computer cooldown, think on the disaster at hand, and come back to play a bit more later. This way I kept most of the crashes at bay and didnt lose much, if anything. The only noticeable impact those crashes had were on the ghosts. Overseer may notice I mentionned and screenshotted a bunch of dwarves, who arent the ones memorialised. That's because of crashes. I think two ghosts appeared, that didn't after I reloaded.

Appart from some ghost-swapping, I lost no real progress. Just save often. More than once a season.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:54 am »

Oh, my bad I was mistaken. Anyway something along the lines of that happened to one of our overseers at some point in the fort history. Probably.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2015, 07:58:45 am »

Journal of Senshuken the Second

Shortly after I was done training earlier today, I found myself thinking an idle, strange thought. Doomforests is like the army; There is only one employer and all we seem to produce is death. I would love to be able to say it was because of our proud military history but whenever I try to picture 'Doomforests' and 'Proud Military History' in the same sentence I burst out laughing. It's really sad how funny a joke it really is. I'll try telling it to some people and see if it'll brighten the place up a little. All the crying and moaning is really starting to annoy me.

Anyway, back to the metaphor I was getting at. It seems that what Doomforests is good at is sealing off areas in order to stop the horrible shit from getting at us and using our newest enemies to slaughter the older ones. I'm perfectly content with letting this state of affairs continue until we actually have the military might to stand on our own two feet.

Just have to hope someone doesn't do something stupid and either let out the Vampire or let in the snake bastard in the caverns. 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »

Journal of Dark One
24th Hematite

After the cremenony I went to my room. I entered it so hastily that I forgot to lock the doors. I couldn't fall asleep. I was thinking about all the evil... about all the troubles of dwarves. I'd really like to help them, but I can't. For example, there is a fisherdwarf that is on the edge of insanity. Dwarves mourn their dead, they pray to that bloodsucker. Most of them are scared, but there is a strong group of devoted dwarves. Their leader tries to take the title of Archbishop, and free Osp. That's why I can't help, he watches my moves. I can't talk with Smunstu, as his disciples follow me. I can't help scared dwarves or those mourning their dead, as they are watching me. I don't know their names, and they've send me a message what Archbishop should do. I am not to save dwarves, but sacrifice them to Osp! I am not to help dwarves, for Archbishops work is to make ceremonies and sacrifices! I am the Archbishop, and I know what to do when the time comes!

I went to my bed. I was lying on my back, lying in darkness and looking at the ceiling. I couldn't fall asleep.

And I think... WHY? Why do the dwarves instead of praying to our gods decide to pray to the cause of their inevitable doom? Am I so influential? Is the vampire altering out thoughts? I don't know.

*Slight squeak of the doors*
Someone has entered my room! I lied still, until I could find a good moment to sneak behind that dwarf, and block the way. I took my smithing hammer in my hand. I lighted the candle, and as the dwarf turned around, I knocked him out with my hammer. It was one of the dark disciples! I'll leave his body near the Taupe's office. He isn't hurt much, but that was a heavy blow!

1st of Galena

The big ceremony is close. Disciples want to free Osp! I must stop this madness! I know what should I do! I need to talk with Smunstu first....

I sneaked at night. I crept slowly in the darkness. It was calm all around, yet I could feel someone is watching me. I moved closer to the wall.

- Smunstu! Ghbraaa'lk!
- Ighathr uberhen ralk!
- Hreyghhhb gi heyth'arrrr ak osthop!
- Graseygbh: Kathralkub'rrr ak ukshaaaari ok isth, ush atir kap okl!
- Krakke Smunstu! Ille'r amthari!

Yes, now I know what to do when the time comes!

4th of Galena

Big day today. The ceremony is close to begin. I see all the disciples here, and some of the more sane dwarves came. I'll make a subtle signs to them, so they'll back off when there is still time! I drank some brew Smunstu has told me to drink before ceremony, so my plan should work.

- Brothers in faith! Since the beginning I am the Archbishop of Osp The Light Of Glory! This is a big day, as the true light of glory shall speak from within my body. Now I... argh... *with low booming voice* I AM THE LIGHT OF GLORY! AND I LOOK AT YOU WITH DISGUST! YOU PRAY TO THE OSP, THE MESSANGER WHO TURNED AGAINST ME! BUT THE DAY HAS COME! SOON, THE THOUSAND METRIC TONS OF ROCK SHALL SMASH HIS EVIL FORM, SO THE LIGHT CONCEALED WITHIN SHALL ASCEND, AND JOIN ME IN HIGH HEAVENS! AND YOU SHALL NOT PRAY TO ME! PRAY TO YOUR DWARVEN GODS, THEY ARE MY MINIONS WATCHING YOU OVER MILLENIAS AND YOU TURNED AGAINST THEM! LEAVE OSP BEHIND YOU! COME BACK TO YOUR TRUE GODS, AND YOU SHALL ALL ASCEND TO THE LIGHT OF GLORY!

After that I fell on the floor, and feigned being unconscious. They have believed me! I've left a message for the overseer, with plan of smashing the bloodsucker. He shall meet his doom here, in Doomforests! Through all the time I tried to find something about darkness in DateTattoed. I was also recording my nightmares in my second journal. After mistakenly opening it instead of another historical book I've stolen from Taupe, I easily deciphered most of the mysterious markings and symbols! I should talk to Taupe about this, and also give him his books back. I must also warn the overseer about the dark disciples, they could interrupt the plan of bringing end to this madness!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:20:12 pm by Dark One »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:55 pm »

- You realize that most of your ancestors would have had to have children before the age of 2, right?
I always tought that the years in DF were counted since the beginning of written history. Is not like dwarves are going to spawn out of nowhere and start building castles in the first year of their existence.
And about the military, we have something more... Imposing than before. Dark One's dwarf finished building the magma forge and now I'm starting to smelt spears and swords, and the scouting party who started being a suicidal group of highly dispensable dwarves is starting to be more of an elite army.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Killing of Doomforests Vampire Lord - No military? No problem!
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2015, 01:16:35 pm »

So as soon as the first word is written, everyone suddenly across the whole world starts writing stuff, the gods make pacts with demons, the demons thrust spires up through the magma sea, and everyone suddenly declares that they "have the appearance" of being 43 years old or whatever?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »

So as soon as the first word is written, everyone suddenly across the whole world starts writing stuff, the gods make pacts with demons, the demons thrust spires up through the magma sea, and everyone suddenly declares that they "have the appearance" of being 43 years old or whatever?
Well, how would the gods write the slabs otherwise?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2015, 02:30:33 pm »

((OOC:  I have been re-reading the whole history of Doomforests (slow day at the office) and I have noticed something very interesting.

There are certain statements that spell immediate, fatal !!FUN!! for any overseer:

1) "We(/Doomforests/The dwarves) have something approaching a real military/militia now!"
2) "Nothing much is happening"
3) "I have a plan"

DF has achieved the Singularity, and clearly reads the thread that we have made about the fort.  The game is playing us, while we are playing it. 

Welcome to Escherville ellivrehcsE ot emocleW

:o

))
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2015, 03:13:40 pm »

I think I won't be able to complete my turn unless I finish the year by today. So I'll keep writing and playing and I'll post the save today or tomorrow.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »

I think I won't be able to complete my turn unless I finish the year by today. So I'll keep writing and playing and I'll post the save today or tomorrow.
You did great. I know I pretty much abandoned my turn on a community fortress when a crash took out most of a year of playing. So it's understandable if you don't finish, but great job sticking with it so far.

You kept the pace and events up, and we could use your writing as a foundation for our own words.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »

Yeah, you did great job continuing on the Taupe's struggle to save the fortress, and giving us a base for our writing. Almost everyone (if not all of us) have mentioned the decision you've made at least once in our journals. You've also brought us the east part back. I hope that you'll finish your turn, it was amazing work!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2015, 04:12:12 pm »

Absolutely, well done.  You've made the best of a trying situation, and given us lots of events for our own characters to bounce off of  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »

And whatever you do, do *NOT* mention that we have something that almost resembles a military now...

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2015, 04:44:45 pm »

Yeah, you did great job continuing on the Taupe's struggle to save the fortress, and giving us a base for our writing. Almost everyone (if not all of us) have mentioned the decision you've made at least once in our journals. You've also brought us the east part back. I hope that you'll finish your turn, it was amazing work!
Seconded. In fact, I think you have quite a few days left, so there's no rush for you to finish. I certainly think it would be worth it to see you take your time and keep up your current style.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 144