Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432034 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - now without spoilers
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:20 pm »

Research notes, page 5

I searched for more information, but found nothing to carry our finds. moving before 732, with the rise of High Passion Surprisewebs reveals nothing out of the ordinary for a human society. Moving foward after his death feels... simply.. wrong... like if most scholars are afraid to mention anything out of the ordinary, or are writing flat out lies. And most importantly, there seems to be a whole bunch of silence and nothing about the nobles and the history of DateTattoed after the creation of the Chapel of Charm.

It's to be expected, really. Vampires would definitely not let anyone live if they spoiled too much sensitive information. Whatever the details of their webbings, it's clear that unless I get more leads from elsewhere, those genealogy books are not useful to me. Skaia is doing a good job of mapping out the evolving wars with the goblin tribes, and even came up with a good explanation for why they actually happened. Her research appears to be slowing down, so I'll pass on the latest books to her. She was the one who managed to aquire them in the first place.

Speaking of books, someone returned some volumes near my bedroom door. Who took them? I don't know. I wish I did.

Research notes, part 6

Since I'm out of leads, I decided to study the aftermath of Osp's stay on the local residents. By digging out a few small holes in key locations, I plan to spy on the strangest residents of this fort. Finding out who is secretly conversing with my minister of Agriculture would be a good ste foward. I've also noticed strange veiled dwarves wandering the halls past normal hours, but couldn't follow them without revealing my presence.

Cursed as he may have, Osp does present us with a good way to study the effects of a powerful vampire on the minds of a population. This is the kind of details that could save lives, should we need to unravel the complex web of politics, charms and lies that plague DateTattoed.

Meanwhile Skaia is researching a peculiar forgotten beast, one who apparently defies the non-existent social norms of its kind. Wether weapon or doom to our fort, any information she finds would be beneficial should this strange creature visit us... Or should we be unlucky enough to unseal it by digging in all the wrong places...

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »

Maybe the forgotten beast that "joined" pur civ is the one-eyed snake that is swimming in the caverns killing troglodytes and crundles.
After all, it does not seem to be interested in entering the fort. It still appears as "Uninvited guest" in the unit screen, so maybe the beast that joined our civilization is somewhere deeper in the caverns. We may never know.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »

It doesn't appear interested because out of the two entrances I left to the caverns, one is an indestructible artifact locked door, and the other is a solid 6 foot thick concrete flooring.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:30 am »

Guys, we now officially have loads of views:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:11:21 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 13, 2015, 11:30:06 am »

Guys, we now officially have loads of views:
IT'S OVER NINE THOUSANDS!!!!!! yay for references
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »

Old memes aside do you think you'll be able to complete your turn in a week Mate? You produce good work, so I don't mind giving more time, but you're only halfway through the year, so projections put you at another two weeks. Either way I hope you feel better soon!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:36:16 pm by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2015, 12:51:07 pm »

Yea, we agreed to extend for a few days, but to be honest I thought you only needed enough time to make up for being away for the weekend. If you are too sick to play, then there's not much we can do about that. But if that's the case then I think you ought to pass along the save, since Salmeuk has already waited long enough for his turn. Otherwise please finish on Friday and then pass along the save.
Get well soon ;)
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »

Yea, we agreed to extend for a few days, but to be honest I thought you only needed enough time to make up for being away for the weekend. If you are too sick to play, then there's not much we can do about that. But if that's the case then I think you ought to pass along the save, since Salmeuk has already waited long enough for his turn. Otherwise please finish on Friday and then pass along the save.
Get well soon ;)
Nah. I'll survive. I'll try to reach winter in a couple of days and if I don't get there by the 15th I'll just post the save.

Journal of Mate the 888th, overseer of Doomforests
6th of Limestone
The greenskins are busy chasing a duck, so we have enough time as to completely seal the fort.
I... I could understand that some particularly stupid or sadistic trolls or goblins wanted to chase the duck and kill him, but not the entire army. Stupid greenskins.

--------------------------------------------------------

7th of Limestone
Iamblichos mandated 3 rings to be made. Hm. We'll give her three dwarf nail rings we found on the goblins. She'll not notice the difference.

-------------------------------------------------------

8th of Limestone
I'll try to ask Smuntsu if he can tell his brethren not to kill us.
-Minister, a goblin tribe decided to lay siege to our fort. I need you to communicate with them so they know we are no threat to their people. What do you say?
-Grlaaargh! Smuntsu fraaarglh! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
-Oh, right. I forgot that you don't speak.
-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

In completely unreleted news, I ordered the jails to be dug. Now the troublemakers will have a place to stay. And we may move the caged goblin hammerer from the kennels. His screams start to piss me off. And I'm too lazy as to put her with Smuntsu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

9th of Limestone
The goblins have quite weird naming traditions.
The duck ran from the trolls, dodged punches, maces, spears and arrows, then flapped his little wings and flew to a tree. Now the tree is surrounded by confused trolls and goblins screaming "WAAAAAAAAAGH!" at it.
I don't see how can the greenskins be a threat to us when they can't even kill a duck. I'm still not opening the bridges, though.
Now the gobbos lost interest on the duck.
I tought that the goblins were more... Rational than kobolds... Apparently not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

11th of Limestone
While digging the jails I accidentally dug a little crack on the wall and saw the caverns on the other side.
An olm floating in the air two meters urists above a fungiwood tree and another olm climbing on the fungiwood tree twigs.
I'm concerned because olms are water animals who can hardly walk outside of the water.
I think that the lack of alcohol is making me hallucinate.

12th of Limestone
A pack of dingo men decided to come and annoy the gobbos. Let's see how long they last.

15th of Limestone
Well, when I decided to stop watching at the flying olms on the caves, I say another worrying thing.
A forgotten beast skeleton.
What!?
And it's not any FB, it's the one-eyed snake who was peacefully murdering crundles and trogs.
It's surrounded by its own blood, wich raises an interesting question: What killed it?!
Unless the cave tribes have grown increasingly badass, I doubt that any civilized being killed it with weapons. So what killed the snake?! Is there another beast, more powerful than the snake, lurking trought the caves? Or it was just a lucky pack of crundles and trogs who managed to overpower the viper?
The caves must remained sealed. With goblins outside and unknown horrors underground, nobody should leave Doomforests until further notice.
Let's pray to Armok that whatever killed the snake does not know where our entrance to the caves is.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2015, 03:40:14 pm »

Journal of Iamblichos

1 Limestone

I have had a... very strange dream.  I still don't know what to make of it.

I was in my rooms as they are currently -not the cubbyhole I had for a long time, like a usual dream, but the nice mayoral suite I recently moved into after the election.  There was a strange glow in the hallway outside, a soft green light that seemed cold - a deep cave-pool sort of light.  It flickered.

A strange dwarf who looked very like me (the real me, not Stazul) only older, came around the corner and said "Ah!  Iamblichos?  Is that you?"

I was very confused, since to my knowledge nobody here knows I have possessed the ranger - certainly strangers shouldn't know this.  I reluctantly nodded, and the old dwarf said "Well, finally!  You've been a very difficult dwarf to locate!  I can't compliment you enough on the place you have found to live, though - the energies here are delightful!"  He glanced around the mayoral suite with its beautiful golden furnishings and sniffed derisively.  "Room's a bit trashy, though."

"Who are you?  Are you Olnen?"  I couldn't think of anything else; who but Olnen Focuslesson the god of scholars could know the things this old dwarf knew?  At this, he burst out laughing.

"Oh no, no, I'm not him... No, I'm... hm.  It's a bit complicated.  Let's just say I'm a relative of yours and leave it at that.  The good news, though, is that I have taken a very keen interest in you and what you've done here!"  He smiled and gestured animatedly with both hands.  "Why, it's simply amazing!  It's phenomenal!  We are all very excited indeed!"

I was completely adrift.  "What part of... of what I'm doing?  You mean fighting the vampire?  Or..."

"Oh that!  The vampire.  Heavens, no!  That was a slick bit of work with so-called "Osp", but that spirit was only mildly inconvenienced, never fear.  No, silly boy, I meant the situation you have created!  I haven't seen a spirit strong enough to not only survive the death of the body but to actually go and possess another for... well, it's been a long time, let me tell you!"  The old dwarf actually bounced on his heels, something I had seen my own father do thousands of times when he got excited.  "Oh, and I know about that silly ritual you've been trying to pull off as well, and you're a lucky dwarf indeed you didn't get that to work - leave that alone, would you?  I realize that fascination with the occult runs in our family," he laughed, "but honestly you don't know what you're doing, and you're only going to make a bigger mess of things.  I tell you this out of kindness, and that's not something I often get accused of!"  His eyes twinkled merrily and he tapped his fingers together like a happy gnome.

"I still don't... who are you?  And what do you want?"

"Well," he said with a sigh.  "That conversation would take longer than we have.  This is a very expensive projection! What you need to know is this.  There is a... well, let's call it a game, being played between spiritual representatives of the humans and the dwarves.  Each side gets a move.  "Osp" was a move by the representatives of the humans; its destruction was a move by those of the dwarves.  A good move!  Very good.  But only a move.  Now... as to why I am here, Sanctumcoal wants to deal ourselves into this game, yes, very much!  And since you..."  The room spun around us.  "Blast!  Who the hell..."

I woke up to the worried face of Taupe, peering down at me.  He had been shaking me by the shoulder.  Something in the room smelled truly foul, like miasma.  Taupe said "I came to see you as you requested, but you were asleep and making very strange sounds.  Are you alright?"  He sniffed and looked around.  "Have you been storing cheese in here?  It smells like something really spoiled."

I told him I hadn't been sleeping well, and apologized for worrying him; I hope his suspicions weren't aroused.  Since the young dwarves said he was the best researcher in the fortress, I wanted to chat about recent events.  I finally told him my suspicions about Osp - how Osp had disguised his spirit as that of Iamblichos (though I didn't confess to being Iamblichos myself; no need to tell everything!), that Osp summoned the serpent beast, and my strong suspicions that the spirit of the thing we knew as Osp was lurking in the deep places.  He left looking very thoughtful indeed.  I hope his research proves fruitful.  I also can't get the old dwarf in my dream out of my mind.  This new development can't bode well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:30:42 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:04 pm »

Nah. I'll survive. I'll try to reach winter in a couple of days and if I don't get there by the 15th I'll just post the save.

Feel better, and that's as good a date as any for me to begin play. My quarter has just begun so the reading is rather light, but had we taken any longer I might have simply passed my turn. Three history courses bring about 15 books to the table, and I'm actually attempting to focus this time around.

Salmeuk has entered a scholarly trance.

I have no journal nor any strange cavern-wall inscriptions to share, but I will say this: my future reign as overseer will not be put to waste. I have plans - poorly hashed and awfully vague - but plans nonetheless.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »

Damn the beast's tile is "The Coastal SAP," which I misread the first time as "The Coastal Soap."  Would have been ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, but nope. Sadly my dreams cannot come true.  :'(

Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »

Damn the beast's tile is "The Coastal SAP," which I misread the first time as "The Coastal Soap."  Would have been ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, but nope. Sadly my dreams cannot come true.  :'(
Soapy sap?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 13, 2015, 10:21:22 pm »

Uh... Yyyyyyeaaaahhhh we'll go with that, sure.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2015, 08:15:09 am »

Question:Can I be added to the turn list?
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

Hoping to have a fort to rule by then is some master-class wishful thinking, but yes, yes you can.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 144