Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432718 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2015, 07:30:23 pm »

==DOUBLE POST==

Seriously I haven't even started yet there's so much to see and understand.
The Hotkeys are REALLY useful though.

Okay, let's make a list. What needs to be done.

1. Deal with the wereantelope problem in 6 days. I could just have the military fight it, but that's really just kicking the bucket down the road. I want something better. (Top Priority, Difficult)
2. Open the paths to Astville, secure goodies. (Low Priority, Easy)
3. Make some coffins and slabs for those that died but weren't entombed yet before we have some hauntings. (High Priority, Easy)
4. Save the Forgotten Soldier, try to claim the golden items. (Medium/Low Priority respectively, Difficult/Tedious)
5. Devise a way to release the vampire against the forgotten beasts without anyone dying. (Low Priority, Very Difficult)
6. Get a friggin' office. (High Priority, Easy)
7. Turn Astville into the quarters for ex-Overseers/Nobles. Make it look nice. (Very Low Priority, Easyish)
8. Expand the staircases greater than 1x1. (Medium Priority, Easy but takes awhile.)
9. Pull up a copy of Doomforests and research the past few years in Legends Mode. (Very Low Priority, Medium Difficulty)
10. Build our military back up from Embarrassing to Disappointing. (Adequate as a stretch goal!) (Medium Priority, Easyish)
11. Find some interesting engravings of our history. (Very Low Priority, Tedious)
12. Devise a way to make the Total Safety Project work for New Doomforests. (Medium Priority, Difficult)
13. Feed, drink, trade, and survive another year. (High Priority, Varies)

That should keep me busy for a while.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:02:02 pm by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2015, 08:06:09 pm »

Holy crap, I'm gone for a week and it's almost my turn!  Time for life to get insanely busy, right?

I'm stuck next to a potential wereantelope, armed with only my good looks and an undead relative?

Yep, sure enough, sounds like Doomforests.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »

Good news, though. There is no Mate the 900th yet.
I. AM. INVINCIBLE!!!
Or maybe just luckier than the average frontier dwarf. Anyways, you can't kill the hammerer that easly!

Journal of Mate the 888th, Hammerer of *sigh* New Doomforests
The werebeasts returned. The forgotten abominations returned. The cocky vampires returned and I bet that their cultists are still going around (At least those know I'll kill them on sight).
I'll blame Fath for this. That whore was possessed by either Osp or some major, evil being.
Seriously, if we had stood in Old Doomforests this wouldn't have happened. At least Astville (plus my VIP room), the jails and the statue garden (even though it's one level below Old DF) are going to be retrieved.
Oh, also Babyminister (who happened to be a friend of my heir, Mate the 889th) is dead, along with Taupe's minion.
Talking about Taupe's minion, the super awesome door that he made is used in New Doomforests, so the caverns in Astville are now only sealed by an average door that I don't think I have sealed from the time when I sent the lumberjacks running into a pack of crundles some fungiwood.
And there are a gigantic blind shrew and a sentient fireball there too that may or may not have killed the gigant snake that was there before. I should notify Skaia about that.
Also, speaking about eldrich abominations, didn't Taupe mentioned a forgotten beast that joined our glorious Town of Stroking, and that it was last seen aroud the caves under us? Maybe either the fireball or the shrew is a member of our civilization? Nah. Just throw the vampire and the infected citizens to the caves and make a megabattle 2.0

I'm stuck next to a potential wereantelope, armed with only my good looks and an undead relative?

Yep, sure enough, sounds like Doomforests.
Don't worry. Not only you are actually very ugly, but I made you a nice iron crossbow and some bolts before retiring my fort to Salemuk.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 07, 2015, 09:17:32 pm »

10. Build our military back up from Embarrassing to Disappointing. (Adequate as a stretch goal!) (Medium Priority, Easyish)
11. Find some interesting engravings of our history. (Very Low Priority, Tedious)

Our military is made of the finest Meat shields, with Masterwork (Not really masterwork) Copper spikes (despite having steel). I was too busy making all the dwarves calm down to change the armor. Seriously, just about every dwarf was stressed when I started my turn.

As for the engravings, I would advise checking out the ones in my tomb, Around the top of the N in miNion I noticed a few interesting ones there. It's not like there is a lack of engravings to examine.

The vampire is sealed inside the jail. Speaking about the jail, don't engrave the floor: I set it up with chains so that, if necessary, it could be flooded with magma (If you make a metal floodgate, and dig in the south-west corner). We have an abundance of cages, and caged goblins too. Take a look at how the jail is designated (chain->q): I thought it looked cool.

I tried to make all the rooms I dug out easy to figure out (A coffin for coffins, Sword for weapons, shield for armour, leviathan for the jail, an arrow for bolt stockpiles, ect). Just don't look to well at the water...
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:52 pm »

I won't have time most of this weekend, but I should be able to get an update out on Monday, assuming I can get DF to work on school computers.

Huh...I think the old path to the caverns were sealed, but that's definitely something to double check. The Shrew is happy hanging out in front of the nee entrance though. Forgot to check about the Flame God, on my phone right now. I wanted to start making weapons/armor right away, especially with so many magma forges, but the ledger doesn't say what's right by the forge and what's trapped in Old Doomforests.

Yeah, at first I panicked at all the unhappy arrows, but Therapist showed it was just 5 unhappy dwarves, with only Really Bad one currently being walled in asleep with a Wereantelope.

It's the shear number of engravings that makes finding the good ones annoying. But agreed, the jail and fortress for that matter look really cool. Strapped on space due to the caverns, we get a neat design that looks different than most blocky fortresses. I'll have to check on that magma thing to burn trouble dwarves and non Smunstu prisoners.

If anyone is bored you're welcome to look for neat engravings/latest events in the world.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:53 pm »

I'll edit my posts tomorrow.  Most of it is going to be removing boring crap about finding new veins of ore.  But while I'm awake I thought that I would give some of this non-overseer in character storytelling a try.

Date Unknown, Somewhere far from DoomForests:

An old dwarven woman is sitting at a desk, filling out various stockpile records, when something catches her eye.  There are ten orbs on the desk, nine glowing with energy, the one on the far left pitch black.  Suddenly the on next to it begins to dim, then turn black like the other.  The woman frowns and turns to a dwarf beside the door to her office.  "It looks like we won't be needing to wonder why number 2 hasn't written back.  Go get number 3."  The other dwarf bows and leaves.  Shortly after, a young dwarven man enters and asks "Why did you send for me mother?" 

"Guess."

He looks at the desk and sees the orbs.

"So, I'm the oldest son now."

"Yes.  It's just as well.  You were always more competent than number 1 and number 2 was a lazy little runt.  You need to go to DoomForests now.  Sneak in with the next migrant wave headed there and report back telling me everything that happened between number 1's death and your arrival.  You will receive further instructions afterward."

"Very well mother,  I will start preparing now."

Drazoth III turns and just before he leaves, he hears his mother say, "Be careful, our plan for this fort cannot fail.  Our whole family depends on it."

"Don't worry mother, I will be most cautious."

With that he leaves, and his mother sighs to herself as she pulls a bottle of rum out of her drawer.  "You had better be son.  We may never have so good a chance again for our plans to succeed."
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2015, 10:55:47 pm »

I wanted to start making weapons/armor right away, especially with so many magma forges, but the ledger doesn't say what's right by the forge and what's trapped in Old Doomforests.

I was able to make a tunnel to the old furnace rooms of Old Doomforests, so there should be access to all those bars. That was something that I did without posting. Check a little south of the New Fort

BTW, Should we just call the new fort "Faith"? Because that is what I am going to refer to it as from now on.

Here are some engravings that I found.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:29:16 pm by maxcat61 »
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »

I have completed the rewrite of my turn.  I have saved copies of the original versions if anybody can think of a use for them.  Hopefully my turn will now be worthy of entering the hall of legends with the rest of this madhouse.  Let me know what you guys think.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 08, 2015, 07:17:12 pm »

I'll edit my posts tomorrow.  Most of it is going to be removing boring crap about finding new veins of ore.  But while I'm awake I thought that I would give some of this non-overseer in character storytelling a try.

Date Unknown, Somewhere far from DoomForests:

An old dwarven woman is sitting at a desk, filling out various stockpile records, when something catches her eye.  There are ten orbs on the desk, nine glowing with energy, the one on the far left pitch black.  Suddenly the on next to it begins to dim, then turn black like the other.  The woman frowns and turns to a dwarf beside the door to her office.  "It looks like we won't be needing to wonder why number 2 hasn't written back.  Go get number 3."  The other dwarf bows and leaves.  Shortly after, a young dwarven man enters and asks "Why did you send for me mother?" 

"Guess."

He looks at the desk and sees the orbs.

"So, I'm the oldest son now."

"Yes.  It's just as well.  You were always more competent than number 1 and number 2 was a lazy little runt.  You need to go to DoomForests now.  Sneak in with the next migrant wave headed there and report back telling me everything that happened between number 1's death and your arrival.  You will receive further instructions afterward."

"Very well mother,  I will start preparing now."

Drazoth III turns and just before he leaves, he hears his mother say, "Be careful, our plan for this fort cannot fail.  Our whole family depends on it."

"Don't worry mother, I will be most cautious."

With that he leaves, and his mother sighs to herself as she pulls a bottle of rum out of her drawer.  "You had better be son.  We may never have so good a chance again for our plans to succeed."
You know that a mother doesn't love you when she calls you number 1, number 2 or number 3.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 08, 2015, 07:33:45 pm »

She doesn't love them at all.  She only loves the plan.  That, and she's bad at coming up with names and all her kids are named Drazoth so she uses the numbers to tell them apart.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 08, 2015, 10:00:38 pm »

DoomForests
Dwarf Fotress

Same initials. Coincidence? I think not.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 08, 2015, 11:37:57 pm »

I thought of an interesting summary of last year. "The Curse of Doomforests return as Maxcat61 takes the reins. Work on the new fort continues as more Forgotten Beasts show themselves in the depths and a vampire flips off the Overseer. But the largest danger may yet come from above. Also, new rivers flow and a prophesy is made through an Artifact Coffin, which soon delivers on its omen many times over."
Say something if you have any suggestions.

Drazoth, the posts look much better, well done.

I was able to make a tunnel to the old furnace rooms of Old Doomforests, so there should be access to all those bars.

I noticed, and was happy with the progress, but if you mined 4 tiles around the staircase to Astville you can make your path a bit more efficient.

Also, why were they doing the path by hand? Wheelbarrows are easy to make and go much faster.

BTW, Should we just call the new fort "Faith"? Because that is what I am going to refer to it as from now on.

Hmm. I like Haven more, but I'd be willing to go with Blind Faith. It'd be more amusing to mention and carries the weight of doomed optimism, which I think fits Doomforests well.  The top fort would still be called Old Doomforests, which can also be divided into East and West sections. (The East wing was occupied for over two years.) Doomforests proper is the whole fortress, Old Doomforests, Haven/Blind Faith, and Astville alike.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:27 pm »

Hmm. I like Haven more, but I'd be willing to go with Blind Faith. It'd be more amusing to mention and carries the weight of doomed optimism, which I think fits Doomforests well.  The top fort would still be called Old Doomforests, which can also be divided into East and West sections. (The East wing was occupied for over two years.) Doomforests proper is the whole fortress, Old Doomforests, Haven/Blind Faith, and Astville alike.
Hmm... It's not practical, it's confusing and it's way harder than using Old Doomforests, New Doomforests and maybe Astville.
It has to be done.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 09, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

I like to think that my turn was spent on infrastructure, rather then efficiency and projects (other then the 19z trap). I just smoothed the edges of the fort, and added some missing things. I like that summery.

Also, about the wheelbarrows. I was having some problems with wood gathering. No one would go cut wood, and when they were just starting, WHAM, Were beast attack!!! Every time.

So yeah, the forest was mostly untouched, except for random severed body parts and blood.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:13:52 am by maxcat61 »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 09, 2015, 02:08:39 am »

Weird. When I started I had almost a full stockpile of wood. It has been pretty crazy though.

I have a couple hours to work on it tonight, but I spent a little bit of time in the Legends Viewer. There are some crazy things going on in the world. One goblin civ I found has been gone for a few hundred years, and our current enemy, the Frilly Plagues, is on it's way out, and there will be no more Goblin Empire, just a bunch of pits all over the world fending for themselves. Take a look if you like and just watch the map as you scroll through the years. At the beginning of this year it seemed like all the places that had been "conquered" in name but not in population called everyone's bluffs.

Okay, going to start progress now and combining it with my previous notes.

-------

Journal of SkaiaMechanic

What's first? Obviously, I need to plan, and that means somewhere to work. I find a random no-name engraver holding down a completely detailed throne room office, so I kick him out and put my name on the desk. We're making progress already.

I take all of Maxcat's old office items and throw them in there. First thing that catches my attention is the fact that we have a ton of levers and absolutely no notes saying what they do! That'll be fun to figure out. Looking at the map, I see a word pop out. MINION. Apparently, he made his tomb in the same shape as his title? Well, he has a bed right beside it, so that's where the new Minion is going to sleep. Sweet dreams!

I order the military to give some distance, but stay stationed in the Hospital. Building a wall only needs two pieces with rocks closeby, but a bed needs to be removed before I can lay one of them down. Let's see if we can do this fast enough.

I get a few farming job cancellation reports, so I check on our farmland. Despite being active (except a few seasons, fixed) there is no growing happening here at all. It's not that we don't have Plump Helmet Spawn, we over 200 of the things. But it's lost somewhere. I pour through the ledgers, trying to find where they were stored. And I found them, all seed barrels grouped together. In Astville.

Well that just provides another reason to head down ASAP. Bump that up on the priority list.

I have to give credit where it's due though. That is a masterfully designed road down to the depths for caravans. Also beautifully crafted is the river diverted to our cistern. Great job building that.

I notice a large number of dwarves are missing from the fort. I check to see where they are. It appears that they're carrying the metal bins up and down. By hand. Even though we have plenty of wood to make wheelbarrows. Whatever. Building them now. Let me check the job orders.

...you're making heavy rock pots, and bolts out of SILVER, one of the most valuable metals. Cancelling those right away. We have wood, we're making barrels. Get to it.

Okay, two days have passed. 4 days left until the change. One piece of wall is in place. Once the bed is unbolted to the floor we'll fill in the rest. Sorry sad person sleeping beside our Were, I took away your table and no one is moving you.

Hey, where is Smunstu anyways? I've never checked since the move. He rubbed off on me a bit.
Ah here he is with some animals. Nice to see he's not lonely. Let me try to move him to the center of the room so he's easier to talk to.

Gah 15 FPS. This will take a while.

New Doomforests looks nice, with the marble everything and all, but it's a giant hassle trying to get from place to place. I order as many walls to be knocked down as possible. Also I ordered the engravers out of the hospital for obvious reasons, but now they're just standing about. I order them to spruce up the bedrooms a bit.

I bestow the names of great ancestors in the forts past, and some neat names Mechanic related from my head, onto some present dwarves. May they wear their new names proudly.

Senshuken, your third in line is a swordmaster, keeping with your military background.
Pyrotechno, you are a competent furnace operator.
TechnoXan is an inexperienced, but well rounded, blacksmith.

Well APPARENTLY the random dwarf I kicked out was actually our mayor? And she's the wife of the late Salmeuk II. And she's kinda pissed now. I quickly find a replacement office. Yes, a replacement one. I'm keeping this one.

19th of Felsite now. Two days left, better check on that enclosure.

Really. That's what we're left with as the fastest material. Soap. PSYCHOANGELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

A random dwarf dying of dehydration brought me to the caverns, where I find...Sensuken II and Salmeuk III. Wat.
And I can't leave them, as Sensuken II took it upon himself to always have TWO Steel Battle Axes and 2 Crossbows, one steel and one an artifact. How did you two even get here? Do I even want to know? Why is there a kid running around there? Well, we'll save him as we get to those nice weapons and armor Sen left behind.

The hospital warriors are getting thirsty. Should I unenlist one of them to help build the wall? Checking the job screen....I don't think anyone else is going to do it.

One day left...can it even be done? Get ready military....Sen is now your commander. Don't let it bite you!

BUT WAIT! At the last moment, a random engraver runs into the hospital to build the wall. Can he do it before the clock strikes 12?

YES. YES HE DOES. Kinetic Swans, you are relieved. Go get some mead for your nerves.

Now let's see if all that effort was wasted when the clock does ring. Sorry random unhappy dwarf trapped in there. No one felt like moving you so you're stuck there.

The toll begins, I check the hospital.

After all that build up, I'm kind of annoyed at the lack of werebeast. Tear down the wall tomorrow, I guess.

Next time: Past day 6??? We're on a roll here. The future should go faster now that I'm not spending so much time micromanaging things.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:13:58 am by SkaiaMechanic »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 144