Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 431266 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #615 on: February 09, 2015, 02:34:36 am »

Dear gods, Doomforests is managing to slowly but surely outlive lesser fortresses and empires!

I absolutely love the fact that Senshuken the second was crazily prepared for anything, but I'm kind of curious as to what actually managed to kill him.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 09, 2015, 02:54:32 am »

-ignore-

(I keep forgetting to sign in on my own account dear lord)
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 09, 2015, 02:55:52 am »

Op updated, with Skaiamechanics slightly edited summary.

One suggestion, for the better survival of our fort, is to keep the food stockpiles as organized as possible and as close to the dining rooms as possible. I would use burrows if you want to keep a storeroom down in Astville, or carve a more direct path. Also, disallow seeds from new stockpiles - I had set up a seedroom next to the farms. If we can keep the food going smoothly new (or returning) overseers have one less thing to struggle with.

Drazoth the new entries are awesome!

I liked the look of that Tomb you carved out Maxcat. When I upload the next DFMA I'll make sure to point it out.

Well APPARENTLY the random dwarf I kicked out was actually our mayor? And she's the wife of the late Salmeuk II. And she's kinda pissed now.

Related story: One of the last things I did as overseer was to re-cage Smuntsu so he could be brought along. In doing so I opened up the office where my second incarnation had been brutally murdered by the goblin some years previous. It was fitting that one of my last acts was to bury my long-forgotten dessicated corpse.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 09, 2015, 08:55:43 am »

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Just so you know, I did save copies of the original versions incase anybody could think of a use for them.  Also, in regards to dorfing number 3, just use a member of the next migrant wave, I don't care much about profession, though I would prefer him to be not a farmer or fishery worker.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:21 am »

Journal of Dark One

Much has changed since my last entry. The unknown entity that possessed Fath has gone, and the weird purple hat went straight to Maxcat. His rule wasn't long though. Wereantelopes, vampire and uninvited guests appeared that time. The were-trouble brought a few injured and infected dwarves. One is being walled off in the hospital area! Luckily for us Maxcat recognised the vampire before he would infiltrate our society. I'm sure that bloodsucking beekeeper is a prayer to Nifih! Maxcat's rule ended with death of many dwarves, including him. The weird purple hat was given to Taupe's friend SkaiaMechanic, he's wearing it proudly. I'm sure that soon it'll be too much of a burden for him, and the hat would go on. It must be cursed, I can feel that this hat drains its owner energy to bring doom upon him. I must warn Skaia.

Corridoors of the new Doomforests buzz with activity during night, same like the old fortress. That vampire must have come to join dark disciples. I must find a way to infiltrate the Nifih society, and I must do it quickly. Smunstu might be of some help with that matter, but I must find him first.

Words of that necromancer echo in my mind since our meeting. Is it all true? I don't know. I must meet with him again. I go into my bed, thinking about gigantic tower, and a dwarf wearing a cloak. I try to lay still. As I feel more sleepy, the scene forms in front of my eyes, until I am truly on top of that tower. Am I dreaming? I must have left my mortal body and took another form. Suddenly an old dwarf appears in front of me. It's not that same necromancer as before. I say:

- Who are you?
- I am a friend. I want to sorry for the incompetence of my fellow necromancers. Let me show you my tower!

I follow him through the whole building. It was emanating with eerie green glow. Antechambers full of dead bodies and young necromancers studying magic, undead working under their command, captives being tortured. Their moans and screams. As we go back to the top of tower he says:

- I hope that you liked our trip. I'll say it straight.... I have an offer for you.
- Go on.
- In these times dieties strive for energies. Doomforests is important place in our battle with Nifih-Gogol axis. Your ability to claim unlimited quantities of energy might help us greatly.
- And what would I have if I help you?
- When you wake up, your corporeal form weakens and withers away. The Great Beyond wants you back, and your body weakens quicker than we thought! We might help you conservate your body, and make an anchor so you could quickly come back to mortal realms should you go to The Great Beyond!.

*After a while of consideration*

- I'm in. What should I do master?
- First of all, don't call me master as young necromancers do. Call me an associate, as we both have our interests in this... cooperation. Your first task is simple. There is a dwarf called Iamblichos. He is my descendant. He died in Doomforests when you came after Osp. Next his soul took the body of Stakud, or was it Skazul? Anyways, he's undead. Convert him to our side!
- Yes... my associate. And what about my interests?
- Gather some energy, and imbue an object with it. That's how anchors are made!
- Great. I'll be back with Iamblichos!

Everything turns around and turns black. I wake up, and go in search of our new associate.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 09, 2015, 02:26:38 pm »

Why is there a kid running around there?
If that kid running around in the caverns happens to be Mate the 889th I'll be pissed.
If he dies, while I go berserk, just rename any dwarf that's releted to Mate the 888th (preferebly a cousin or a nephew) and call him Mate the 890th, please.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 09, 2015, 05:34:27 pm »

WELP. Hearing the screaming and tearing from the other side of the hospital wall, I'm guessing she did change. Apparently the blood moon is at 12:00 Noon. Sorry Mr. Trapper Guy, but I'm kinda glad we hadn't taken down your wall yet. On the plus side, we have another weapon to use against the Forgotten Beasts!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I order pathways to the bodies in the caverns, but not to breach the wall yet. Same with the elevator back to Old Doomforests to save the soldier up there. To speed up this process, I assign our Legendary Miner off the military for now, to work with Taupe who is also arranged to do only mining and doctoring. That should help speed it up.

Speaking of speeding things up...

I leave a notice on all dining tables. "If you're not doing anything, you're going on mason duty for the Total Safety Project after we finish burying/memorializing these guys. If you don't want to do that, don't slack off! You have standard breaks, use them to relax! Otherwise get to work! -Overseer" Amazingly enough, any reports of idle dwarves quickly disappear.

Time itself seems to speed up. We're getting 41 FPS, which stands for Fathers Pushing Sons, or the amount of guilt the last generation can put on the younger one. Must be those new education techniques in action!

On the 23rd of Felsite our resident Wereantelope turns back into a dwarf. I quickly recruit her into her own squad for the future. I've changed her Occupation to match. I'll let her out as soon as we have an opening to the caverns to fight the Forgotten Beasts. Actually, we may not need it.

One of the last two overseers created an airlock-type exit to the caverns, blocked by Maxcat's Artifact Door. Unseal, place her inside, seal it back up, and let her loose when she transforms. I'll probably give her a nice weapon to fight with as well. Even the cursed earn their keep in Doomforests.

Our Liason arrives to inform me that they wish to elevate us in the eyes of the realm. Okay then. Great. Go away. They would have spoken with the mayor, but the mayor still doesn't have an office right now so she'll have to deal.

I've come to realize even though this fortress is far more centralized than Old Doomforests, getting around is still an absolute mess. Which is EXACTLY what I hoped for with the TSP. It's still annoying having everyone complain about being unable to find stuff though.

Astville is unearthed, and the shaft is widened. Now maybe we can plant something. Probably not though. Nope, still getting a billion "cannot find seeds" messages.

...I think I'm dreaming, but I'm pretty sure I just saw a dead fish fall into the magma pool. Nope. Not dreaming. Looks like a perch. It's dead, but the fact it's still existing is confusing me. And no one is above it to drop said fish! There should be no good reason there's a fish sinking in this magma, yet there is? Okay, it's been too long since I got a drink, I'll get one now.

Ummmm...what? I didn't order any....oh yeah, the mayor. Mate888 drags him to jail, despite my pleading that we need every dwarf we can spare, and it really isn't a big deal. He glares at me and says something like "I built a gigantic jail, and WE'RE GOING TO USE IT!" I tried saying something in response, but our craftsdwarf was already being dragged up the staircase.

I found out who tossed the fish, because they tossed another one. I rushed over to TechnoXan as he dumped some more fish off the side of the highest bridge. "That's the dumping zone, and the fish was going bad. So I tossed it." One mystery down, at least.

Summer hits us, and I look at the status of my projects. Our werebeast is still not let out, and neither has the airlock construction been handled yet. Frusterated, I cancel letting our single-person squad "Werebeast's Duty" out until after her next transformation. We can at least get the lock ready though.

I should probably figure out those levers soon. EVERYONE BACK TO BASE!
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 09, 2015, 06:48:48 pm »

Everyone starts running around yelling, cancelling job orders, and all trying to get back into the base before I pull every lever I can get my hands on.

Actually, the first lever I touch ends up sealing the Trade Depot, so I leave the other two alone. Making a note now for future reference.

Wait...getting some reports now...

Only 7 bowgoblins? That's it?  The rest of the creatures are wild animals, caged things, and one forgotten beast. (We lost track of the Blob made of Fire) I mean, I knew their empire was crumbling under them and all but that's still sad. This is just a local tribe trying to survive. I'd almost feel bad for them if they weren't all trying to kill us in horrible, horrible ways.

They aren't even all attacking. Two are hanging back to protect their way out of here. 5 goblins. Five. Okay, let them get closer, and then we'll unleash the military at point blank range. I wonder why I bothered putting the gate up. This'll be easy. But I feel like I'm forgetting something...

OH SHIT. My new elevator hit the side of the road downwards and has a path into the fort! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT. Military! Run to the breach! Attack now!

The goblin gets the first shot, hitting him hard enough to damage his kidney but not breaking skin. The Captain rushes the goblin back to attack. Soon though the others militia catch up and start wailing on the guy. The goblin gets one more shot in, but now prepared for it the captain dodges. Now for the rest.

The next four goblins stuck together, and are shooting the dwarves while one tanks for a bit. Our resident Hero (Why was he named a Hero again? Was he the one who trapped Osp? I can't remember.) leads the charge, stabbing the closest goblin swiftly in the head with his spear, and then blocking several bolts with his shield. Everyone else follows close behind, rushing the Goblins like a wave crashing down. Even in the limited space everyone seems to get a hit in. The dust soon settles.

The only two goblins left are the ones still hanging back by their entrance, waiting for the call of victory. We could go kill them, but I'd rather they realize that everyone else is dead and spread the story of Doomforests to the other tribes. Also, they're sitting in a big open field which makes attacking them more risky. I keep an eye on them as I remove the call to stay in the fort as I lower the gate. The other two don't move.

The liaison takes the opportunity to inform me about the goings-on in the world. He talks about the Goblin Empire's (The Frilly Plagues) huge campaign into the heart of Dwarven Territory, completely surrounding us by foes. It was a terrifying attack into our civilization that wasn't expected at all. The problem is that was several years ago. This year the Town of Stroking took all those sites back, killing a large portion of The Frilly Plagues' troops. It was a truly exciting story, but I'm more informed than this guy is. Like I said, I get WORK done in my office.

I order a wall to be put up immediately, and to collect the Goblinite.

The liaison asks what we want for next year. I shrug. A few longs, some nice armor and weapons perhaps, and for food...a little bit of everything. He laughs at my joke. I'm not kidding, I say. I want to order a little bit of EVERYTHING. We should never have to worry about food and drink for years amount. I stare him down until he gets the message.

He hands me a sheet of what they want in return and quickly walks away.

I get a report those last two goblins are still hanging out. "Any minute now," they think. Bob will come over the horizon with everyone else carrying dwarven food and gold, any minute now." I chuckle and send the scouts on their way.

I feel a big rumble from deep within the earth. The walls shake and pots break. I quickly catch up to some of our miners. "Probably a cave in." "Where?" I ask. "Dunno. There's a lot of cavern we haven't explored yet." I'm satisfied with that answer and continue on my way.

I find a combined bed/office/dining room made of gold up near Old Doomforests, accessible to us now. I give it to the mayor so she'd stop complaining. She quickly orders two bracelets to be made. I tell people to start making some rock crafts and sit down for a meal. It's the 15th of Hematite.

Okay we might have a little more trouble here than the goblins.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:57:26 pm by SkaiaMechanic »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 09, 2015, 06:59:03 pm »

The Levers:

(1) Close the bridge between the Depot and the fort.
(2) Close the bridge between Outside and the Depot.
(3) 19z fall. For killing elves and large groups of trolls.
(4) Nothing. Was not built before my turn ended. Was intended to be an emergency !!PANIC!! lever to shut every bridge in the fort (We have a few).

Also remember, In case of !!fun!!, send dwarves to the statue garden: It is sealabul via bridges, and is isolated from the rest of the fort. I would suggest placing a pick in there, just in case.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 09, 2015, 09:14:51 pm »

Wow!!! So cool, this turn had were beasts, gobbs, AND a minutar! 😆😆 looks like things are going great too. Thanks for Dorfing me as well, I love the charecter.😃
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 09, 2015, 09:56:44 pm »

Oh, yeah! The jails are back into buissness!
And yes. The resident hero is a peasant/speardwarf who captured Osp.
Also, is Mate the 889th alive?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »

Yeah, it was some other kid who got sealed off and died. How did so many get stuck in the caverns anyways?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 09, 2015, 10:10:20 pm »

When I got the fort, about half a dozen dwarfes were in the caves. I figured I would lose more dwarfs if I tried to rescue them, after my first attempt failed. Also, please make sure that there is no way into the caves from astville, because I have no Idea how they survived that long on their own.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 09, 2015, 11:03:38 pm »

Pyrotechno, you are a competent furnace operator.

Hooray!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 10, 2015, 12:16:50 am »

I quickly recruit her into her own squad for the future.
oh, yeah. that's why the second squad is named ''Super Happy Team''. That's where I used to put all our current werebeasts and vampires. The fact that the previous sentence was an accurate statement is both hilarious and very sad.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 144