Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426797 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of Doomforests - Flee you fools!
« Reply #660 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:49 pm »

====

Stone.

Dwarves far and wide say we were made from the stone by Armok's Hammer. A true dwarf lives in stone, surrounds himself with it, for it is in stone that he is most at home.

We live in stone. We die in stone. The entire history of our race is chiseled in stone.

But all stories end. And as every miner knows, stone can shatter with the right tool. Does the mountain see the swing of a pick before it strikes? No. But it is that pick, that fortress created, that brings the mountain to life. And it is the respect for death that allows us to respect life.

But like stone, we are far, we are here, and we will endure.
=====

Journal of SkaiaMechanic

The best news I've heard all year has finally arrived. Dwarven Traders have come to Doomforests! With any luck, they'll have my order with them. I order every spare hand to carry the finest gems and meals up to the Depot. Even with the dense forest, the traders will have a way to reach us. Things are finally looking up!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taupe II comes out of his daze and finishes his spirit-assisted Masterpiece.

The initial reports are...less than overwhelming.

You made a big slab of rock. Great job Taupe. We're all very impressed.
This is not a glacier. If there's one thing Doomforests has in abundance, it's beds. Old Doomforests has beds scattered everywhere. This is just about the most useless artifact that could have been created at a mason's workshop.

Then I decided to take a closer look. The decorations were as simple as the design.

There's something that stands out. In bright gold on grey slate, lay the image of two forgotten beasts. It's not hard to guess which ones. Snustrok the Prime Hero and Supergoat the Ascending Fury. It's wrapped in gems and gold and pig iron, spikes and rings on the sides.

And then I remember the stories. No, not a prophecy or anything like that. I'm talking about children's tales. And when they have someone on a flat, stone surface. The tale of the Windy Scientist. The religion-filled series with the Lionman King. But what you probably imagined when I described it was someplace dark, in a room of cultists chanting before the spilling of blood. Normally that's when the Hero swoops in. But this is the creation of the tool itself.

This isn't a bed. That's not the right word for it.

This is an Altar.

And what is such an altar used for?

Sacrifice.

Is this a gift from malevolent forces, preparing for what will be? Or is this a sign from benevolent forces, letting us know that lives might be lost, but a Hero will come, and the stone will endure?
It's...troubling. I need to learn how to share my thoughts with the people. It's going in the stockpile for now until my head clears up.

RIGHT! The traders! Can't forget the traders! It's trading time. Get some food, get some armor, get some books. This is the best holiday, I can save such thoughts for later. But I need to be in the right...mood for it, and that means I need a drink. Expect good news soon!

-----------

The 12th of Limestone

SkaiaMechanic started heading downstairs for a drink. As she walked past the magma forges, she notices something he had never seen before. She saw a dwarf go around a bend and into the caverns. She panicked at the loss of security, and ran after the dwarf, calling for him to stop.

She heard a screech, echoing off every wall in the cavern. And an Eyeless Shrew stood around the corner and screamed in fury.

It was supposed to be up with Lor like he had been for over half a year. What was it doing here?

=======

The 11th of Limestone

An eyeless shrew stands in front of an unbreakable door. He has stayed in this area for many months now, never giving up. And now he smelled fresh flesh on the other side. He went to that accursed Copper Door. No matter what he did he could not break through this wall. He tried clawing and screeching and expelling extract. But there was nothing to do. He scratched at the door without leaving a mark like every time. But something was different this time. It moved a little bit, as the door was left unsecured for some strange reason. With all his might he screeched and pushed, and eventually the unbreakable door swung open. Inside was a dwarf, dressed like a soldier without the stance of one.

It screeched, and dashed at the Dwarf. She wasn't in her werebeast state, but she was as ready as she could be, and she would fight.

And they did battle.

And then there was one.

The victor sniffed all over the room. Yes, there were several dwarves recently here, but the smell lead to a very thick wall. Those dwarves had tricked him! This wasn't a way into the fortress at all! Enraged, the Shrew shreaked and leaped down the caveside.

=======

SkaiaMechanic stood frozen. She had seen battle before, but nothing like this. Terror turned her blood to ice. And then she was running. She darted back towards the fortress as fast as she could run. The other dwarf ran deeper into the caves for a place to hide. She would never get to hide, because the beast followed him. And in a flash had caught up to the poor engraver.

The engraver, caught underneath the enormous monster screamed for help. He was going to die, and he was scared. And then he was gone.

Skaia ran for her life, but then froze in place. She heard a scream for help. She was overseer. What did her responsibility mean, if it weren't for the care of every Dwarf here?

And then she saw the person she wanted to see the absolute least.

"GET OUT OF HERE YOU CRAZY OLD COOT! THE BEAST IS LOOSE!" Taupe turned and ran fast ahead of her, trying to get away. But the beast was too fast. They'd just lead it into the fortress. She had to do something so they could stall for the military.

The Shrew bounded down the path, the smell of Dwarf the strongest it had ever known. Skaia stopped running, and let her friend get ahead. She faced down the beast. She couldn't win. This was insane. But she had to try. She was overseer.

There was no battle, or at least anything you could call a battle.

Taupe rounded the corner back into the fortress and sounded for the alarm, calling for every dwarf that could fight to come to the caverns now! The Kinetic Swans and the Scouting Party rushed for battle. Joining their ranks were Mate the 888th and TechnoXan, plus every ranger inside. Unfortunately, the Fortress Hero was currently sound asleep. This time, Iamblichos II and Senshuken III lead the charge as they heard about their overseer still stuck in the caverns.

Mate the 889th had done something wrong. He was told never to go into the caverns, but it was open and it was beautiful. The gems, the cool waterfalls, the burning magma pits, the soft moss and impressive mushrooms. This was waaaaaayyyyyy better than being outside. He would get back soon enough.

And then, out of nowhere, the beast was upon him.

The troops ran, hoping beyond hope they were not too late, and also that it wasn't too late for them as well.

"Go around!" Senshuken yelled out. "We'll flank it from both sides!"

The battle is fierce. Weapons from all angles attacked the beast, not being able to shoot in more than one direction. But he wasn't done. He grabbed a Marksdwarf by his mouth and tore him to shreds, his guts and blood raining all around him.

In that sight, seeing the death of their comrade, and the dead, mangled bodies of a child and their overseer, the military dwarves grew in rage and focus. The battle started taking a very different turn.

It was finished, with relatively few casualties. From an open hole and unexpected beast attack, things could have gone a lot worse. Or so they tell me.

Me? I'm an engraver. It isn't important who. The overseer wrote down that if she were to die, someone who works with numbers should get the job since, and I quote, "All of you are damn near useless at trading anyways." I suppose our vampire could do it, as he's certainly qualified enough, but then he'd take the lives of a few dwarves as payment. So...no.

I'm taking on the Overseer's Name. Call me "SkaiaMechanic II." She wrote down in her will it would be a good idea because traders are often random and her name would have some significance by then. And with that of course, come the duties of overseer. Well, no one knows history better than an engraver, so I can try to not let history happen a second time.

Wish me luck!

=======

OOC:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:17:39 pm by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #661 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:49 pm »

Dang! The monster got in! Wait, so there was just a big tunnel leading to a giant shrew and a were antalope. Hmm. What happened to the industructo-door? Yikes... Well amazing report as usual, may Skaia the 1st rest in peace. LONG LIVE SKAIA THE 2cd!!!! :D 

Oh and does anyone know anything about my dwarf stats problem? I really want to get started on the journal, you know, to develop charecter. I also have many..... Ideas, you could call them.   ;D Especially after I was called into combat with the Shrew of death.

Edit:
Oh and good luck taupe, I think you might need it!  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:01:36 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »

Oh fuck im next oh fuck oh fuck not this again...

Oh and good luck taupe, I think you might need it!
Let's face it, few dwarves in this settlement are as lucky as the mad doctor.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:40:16 pm by Taupe »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:20 pm »

My heir... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SKIA! Oh, wait.
Also, if you look at the combat logs and notice that I am the only hammerdwarf, you'll see I actually bit something off the beast in the fight.
Double also, could you see if Mate the 888th has another son/nephew? If so, name him or her Mate the 890th. The family must survive. No matter what.

Hey, do I have another turn in the list? If not I want another one! I think I have, though, since I asked for one once my first turn ended...
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 13, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »

My heir... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SKIA! Oh, wait.
Also, if you look at the combat logs and notice that I am the only hammerdwarf, you'll see I actually bit something off the beast in the fight.
Double also, could you see if Mate the 888th has another son/nephew? If so, name him or her Mate the 890th. The family must survive. No matter what.

Hey, do I have another turn in the list? If not I want another one! I think I have, though, since I asked for one once my first turn ended...

You're not on the list of Players in the first post.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:20 pm »

Okay new update isn't coming today. Maybe tomorrow, probably Monday. I've been playing on an old computer at 5FPS, trading and working, and then the whole thing crashes on me. Soon though. SOON.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 13, 2015, 09:02:49 pm »

Okay new update isn't coming today. Maybe tomorrow, probably Monday. I've been playing on an old computer at 5FPS, trading and working, and then the whole thing crashes on me. Soon though. SOON.

The crash wasn't your fist hitting the computer right?  Anyway, my condolences.  Here's hoping that your FPS improves, and that number 3 can soon arrive.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 13, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »

Oh, maaaan. That means that if I'm added to the list now it'll be like 7 years before my turn starts :c
Eh, on the other hand, Doomforests has a great ability for very VERY narrowly escaping death and staying alive when it should die, so the fort may survive for other seven years.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 13, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »

To be fair, my ultimate goal is to see the doctor die of old age. He must be 116 by now.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2015, 12:43:04 am »

Oh, maaaan. That means that if I'm added to the list now it'll be like 7 years before my turn starts :c
Eh, on the other hand, Doomforests has a great ability for very VERY narrowly escaping death and staying alive when it should die, so the fort may survive for other seven years.

I certainly hopes it lasts long enough to get to you again, not only because that means that it will also get to me, but also because it means that I won't screw up during my turn and destroy everything.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »

To be fair, my ultimate goal is to see the doctor die of old age. He must be 116 by now.
A dwarf that dies of old age is not a dwarf. He's just an short man with a beard.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »

Journal of Iamblichos

For a time I was blind.  Now though... now it is clear.  So very, very clear.  I have been foolish.  Time and again, I have been led astray by lingering thoughts from my living time.  I see that now.  The mind is clouded by the workings of the body.  no cannot fight him help me noThe body produces sensations; sensations cloud the mind; the mind makes poor decisions.  The master explained it.  The master explained it all.

The fortress moved.   no no no I will not I cannot no  I tried to thwart the plans of Fath, but the citadel was relocated in spite of me.  Mayor of nothing.  None of them listened.  Nifih, and her master Gogol, were triumphant.  How silly I was at that time!  I thought I could avoid the touch of the true ones.  I hid from them, like a small child hiding in the bedclothes.  I should have known it would not work.  The dwarves thought me mad.  They thought I had become crazed.

The master was patient.  The master was merciful.  He waited for me.  I thought I needed the emerald in the caverns; Sanctumcoal has stones much more powerful.  I thought I needed knowledge; Sanctumcoal knows all things. words horrible words screaming screaming help me no

The master guides me.  He tells me what needs to be done.  I need these things.  I need to place them in this order.  Sanctumcoal has so much knowledge.  No spirit, embodied or not, could hope to resist.

I love the master.   binding again fire fire help me no help He says he will give me control of this place. 

I will wait.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2015, 06:11:57 pm »

Journal of PyroTechno, Furnace Operator

Other people are in charge of making booze, killing beasts, and dicking around in the caverns. They get noticed more than little old me, but where would you be without the Furnace Operators?

Without us, the fires go out. Without the fires, no metal is forged. With no metal forged, the fortress is lost to the first thing that comes along to take it.

Others may huddle in their dark, damp caves, taking the glory for themselves. Us Furnace Operators will sit by the nice cozy fire, and keep the fortress alive.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »

So Pyro, we do make up our dorfs stats? Anyway, I'll just make e'm up for my journal.

PS. Cool update too Pyro!  ;)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 144