Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426824 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomforests - Where Swords can be Hatchets (if they really want to)
« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:35 am »

Great writing everyone. I was especially interested in how Taupe and Mate888 would respond, and you both didn't let me down.

Mate, that was probably my favorite piece out of all the writing you've done in this thread. Of course, I'm heavily biased towards a good bit of stoic philosophy here and there, but even outside that it showed the kind of rage I was expecting. Although the strong arm tactic to bring others "into the family" does help explain how there were so many in your line.
Amusing note about your dwarf for your trouble: I recruited two legendary miners into The Kinetic Swans, one of them being Mate888. (I had more mining improvements than mining projects.) Obviously, I rearranged their equipment so they wielded a pick instead of another weapon to get that awesome skill benefit. But after looking it over a bit, it felt weird that the Hammerer didn't have a hammer, so I assigned you one of them as well. Your dwarf came to the conclusion that it should duel-wield both weapons in the same hand at once.

Taupe, great job providing a reason for your dwarf's obsessive compulsiveness towards treating that one patient. Very creative. I ended up enabling mechanics on your dwarf as well, and was last seen dividing your time between digging, making mechanisms, and harvesting plants. You might want to check Dwarf Therapist when you get the save. I didn't use it, but I ended up messing with a ton of labors and letting everyone do hauling just to get some things done. I ordered a bunch of trees topside to be cut down, but if you don't have someone exclusively working on it it'll never get done. I put in a wood burner down by the forges, so you should be able to make some charcoal, which two pieces can be used to make a bar of steel. Also make sure we have boxes, bins, etc.

Foton, I forgot to dwarf you. Whoops! Well there's plenty of people working the magma stations so it shouldn't be too difficult.

You caught it Maxcat, but I only succeeded if you heard it instinctively in that voice.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:33 am »

I uh... had a title idea to share for humor if nothing else.

Urist McPerry Presents Doomforests: A Forgotten Beast Family Reunion

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 20, 2015, 06:08:59 am »

In the sparse time I've readen the documents brought to me by one of the disciples. They gave me insight of this fortress history, including informations about huge vein of energies located in the caverns. That's the source of troubles that came here. First, Nifih started to fight for it. Necromancers wanted to stop their enemies from raising to power, so they sent their squad here. I don't care about it anymore, I have a bunch of ignorant dwarves under command now. Speaking of which, neither of them is a true necromancer! They're just a scouting squad! I looked on the ledger, and saw that we have no slabs. Noone here knows the secret's of life and death! I need to organise them better! As I look over the room I notice a disciple. When I look at him I feel strange, as if I met him before. I call him to me. He seems to be afraid, then asks:

- Yes master?
- Tell me who gave you orders before.
- Master necromancer from Sanctumcoal gave us order to gather information.
- That's all?
- Yes master.
- Since I'm now in charge of this group, I give you new orders.
- But...
- I was sent here by master necromancer to take lead over this group. First of all, how many tomes of knowledge we have, as I haven't noticed anything concerning this matter in our ledger.
- None.
- No slabs, no tomes of knowldge and no secrets of life and death?!
- We're just scouts....
- Stop! We have no time for this. How many disciples we have?
- Twenty four.
- It'll be enough. Tell me something about recent events?
- Well, Taupe II, the mad doctor made an artifact bed.
- Not bed...
- What?

*Words echo in my mind. My vision gets blurred by an eerie green glow. I feel like someone drags me by legs. Darkness surrounds me. I don't know why, but I leave some kind of book near someones door. Then my vision returns. I'm standing in front of the disciple. He seems horrified.*

- It's an altar.... sacrificial altar. What's next?
- Skaia I, the broker and last overseer before the engraver took control over this place died. The body was buried...
- Retrieve the altar and Skaia's body.

*He notes the order down in his journall. When he ends, i ask*

- Any other interesting events going on?
- Before Skaia I died, drawbridges were built and levers place. They were never linked thoug, as Skaia died before completing constructions.
- Drawbridges? Rock drawbridges?
- Yes.
- We're lucky they haven't used soap then.
- Why?
- If you'd be more educated you'd know that soap is a strange substance. Capable of blocking any energy and physical threat. If I remember correctly soap was used to close Ast when she turned into a wereantelope - at least that's what your books about history mentioned. Don't mess with soap.... as I think about it, find PsychoAngels body too. We'll need it. Also, don't forget about interrupting completion of those bridges.

*I wait until he finishes*

- Anything more?
- Well.... there's a vampire in the fortress.
- A vampire? Have you set up a cult?
- A cult? No, but....
- Then what are you waiting for, lazy bastard! I leave duty assignations to you. Don't mess it up, or you will be the first dwarf to see if Taupe's "bed" is comfortable!

He goes out of my sight quickly, I can focus on planning now. I write down what I can do for Doomforests:

[] Retrieve altar made by Taupe II and bodies of Skaia I and PsychoAngel;
[] Interrupt creation of bridges;
[] Set up another vampire cult;

But first of all, I'll see if I can change something in the layout of this place.

[OOC]

Is my writing OK? I want to know if I need to improve my crappy writings.

Also, nice title Max!

[OOC]

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 20, 2015, 03:41:36 pm »

[OOC]
Your writing is fine dark one.  I'm very interested by your plans, and how they may interact with mine.  Also, what did people think of the rune code from my last entry.  Should I keep it or drop it?  Haven't included any here to gauge people's opinions, as well as not needing for this
[/OOC]

Journal Of Drazoth III:

Entry 5:  Managed to find place to hide journal.  Doubtful that anyone would find it here.  Will look for alternate places to be safe.  Been working on finding the info left for me by 2.  Lots of it is about events that happened between 1's death and his.  I've not bothered to record any of it here.  However, other pieces are more cryptic, referencing some sort of cult.  Must find more.

Entry 6:  I've discovered a cult here, but I don't believe it is the one that 2 was talking about, as they seem to have arrived more recently.  They call themselves the Mechatechno sect.  I don't believe them to be a threat.  In fact, I think they could be rather helpful.  Must speak with this TechnoXan to inquire about joining.  Also, decoded more of 2's messages.  Apparently, Taupe II, the docter I spoke to earlier about what happened here, was the one 6 mentioned when I left to come here.  He was also recently appointed overseer by Skaia II.  Once I've finished decoding 2's clues, I should speak with him.  He seems like he can be trusted, and while some think him mad, I can see that he is possibly the smartest person here.  Perhaps we can exchange information, as 2 hinted that he found things that the doctor may not have.  Besides, After what happened to 1 and 2, I know that if I am to succeed, I will need allies.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:30 pm »

Taking suggestions for a summary of Skaia's turn! Also, I pm'd Taupe about his turn.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:05 pm »

Why yes, I posted the intro to my turn an hour after the save was uploaded. I'm spending some time trying to figure out what the new fort is about, but I'm leaving for a family reunion first time tomorrow morning, so I won't be updating until Monday night. I'm not planning anything fancy (I mean, beside necromantic rituals and forgotten beast extract transfusions), just gonna reclaim and clean old Doomforests once and for all. We need haulers. LOTS of them.

My fps is pretty much through the roof, so I'll try to melt or dumb as much unneeded stuff as possible, and clear a few stockpiles. This should make the fort tidy and smooth for the next players. ( By the way, a much better solution to the problem than carving a whole new fucking fort). I know, boring. Don't worry, my last turn's big project was to install a few doors, and we know how it turned out.

''With forgotten beasts swarming the caverns, vampire mayors and werebeast squads, Skaia puts on the rutile hat and initiates the Total Safety Project, which obviously results in untold deaths and yet another cult...''

I think that encompasses gracefully how over the top absurd and deadly things have become no more than a casual routine to this fort.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:51:18 pm by Taupe »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 20, 2015, 09:56:17 pm »

Skaia, I know that you like Mr. Vamp mayor, but if the fort survives till my turn, if Vamp survives till my turn, and if my character survives till my turn, I will kill him because f*ck shadow cults.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:48 pm »

What makes you think that taupe or I won't kill the vamp first?  Cause I promise that he survives taupe's turn, he's getting a roof dropped on him.

Edit:  Sorry, forgot about Iamblichos. If vamp mayor survives the two before me, he dies.  Properly this time, not the half-assed way he died the first time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:31:59 pm by Drazoth »
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 20, 2015, 10:46:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
speaking of previous deaths, I found the resting place of the first Drazoth. Or ''Darzoth'' as someone named him.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 21, 2015, 04:28:06 am »

[OOC]

Your writing is fine dark one. I'm very interested by your plans, and how they may interact with mine.  Also, what did people think of the rune code from my last entry.  Should I keep it or drop it?  Haven't included any here to gauge people's opinions, as well as not needing for this

Glad to hear it. I think that the rune code is great idea. It can add much depth to the character, not even mentioning others intercations with Your's character and the code itself. I thought about glyphs when I was writing the nightmares and necromancer stories. I even textured and rendered a scene, but I never posted it and deleted all the material. I'll mention the rune code in my writings anyway, even when you stop using it.

[/OOC]

Journal of Dark One

I spent whole night reading all the material gathered by disciples. Stories of bravery and foolishness. Stories about intrigues and death. The horror that lurked in the shadow, the darkness surrounding Doomforests. I'll spread the shadow further. Make the evil even stronger. Within ledgers I found a scroll of unknown origin. Disciples were baffled when looking on the inscriptions. When I was looking at it, I felt a weird crawling sensation in the back of my head.

*Eerie green glow fills my vision. I feel like someone punched my right in my face. I am standing on top of a tower. I hold a scroll in my hand, and look upon inscriptions. In the middle of the scroll I can see a hexagon. There's a circle inside of it, and there's a rhombus inside the circles. Everything is connected by series of lines creating horrifying symmetry. There are symbols of life, death, torment and misery in each corner of hexagon, and words. The language is unlike anything I seen before, but somehow familiar. I look around. There's a mangled body covered with blood and strange, slimy substance. I read the inscription:

Y'THRES
AKHSU'ENTH
     FIDIS
EN'MORTESN

The body starts to shudder. Smoke goes from within it's nostrils and eyes. The slimy substance starts to boil and dissapears. I hear bone-chilling shriek and spirit gets out of the body.*

This scroll would help me greatly in my plans. I call the same disciple I called before:

- Yes Master?
- Are the orders completed?
- We have brought the altar, we have found what seems to be bones of PsychoAngel and brought Skaia's body. Vampire cult is starting.
- Great. What's your name?
- Urist.
- From now on you are responsible for completion of orders, you will manage my orders. I have found heaps of informations about the line of Drazoth dwarves here. Do you know anything more?
- No. Ledgers mention only that they were here, nothing more. We have found some kind of journal, but it was written in undecipherable code. I'm curious master, why are we starting vampire cult?
- To control the masses!
- We want to scare them?
- We want to make them want to set vampire free. This will give distraction for operation G.O.D!
- What does it means?
- You'll see when the time comes. As for the Drazoth dwarves, find their bodies too. Come, and tell them to bring PsychoAngels body!

With Urist we went to the altar. Disciples took the bones and threwn them on altar. I started to read inscription upon the scroll. The bones started to hiss. Bubbles of soap start to float from the bones. A shriek comes out, and spirit of PsychoAngel appeared.

- Who interrupts my eternal rest?
- I, Dark One free you, The Lord Of Soap from eternal prison! Go! Spread the cult of soap!
- I'LL COVER DOOMFORESTS WITH SOAP!

The spirit flies away with maniacal laughter, the bones transformed into pile of soap. From soap he comes, and to soap he will come back! The spirit flies through the wall, leaving only some traces of soap. A disciple appears:

- Master, I have the substances you wanted!
- Great. Bring Skaia's body!

The body is put on the altar made by Taupe. I prepare a concoction I read about in ledgers. I spill it over body, and the mass dissolves.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 21, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »

(The Continued) Journal of TechnoXan, the Dwarf

Entry Six:
One of the two hopefuls has made it through the trials. He is now an honorary acolyte. As for the other, the Crundle packs that frequently roam the caverns are a great disposal system. I have begun training the new acolyte and he is proceeding well in his studies of magma usage. Ah, and I have been contacted by another hopeful. But this is no normal cannon fodder dwarf. This is Drazoth III. He is a Dwarf of great power and a tangible talent for intelligence. I have sent my acolyte to organize a meeting. He will be a great boon to the Mechatechno sect! I eagerly await our meeting, his talents are needed for a surprising number of Mecha plans. If he agrees to join and passes the trials, as I am sure he will. I must share my current Mecha plans with him and get his advice. Also, my research into the local Fauna of the caverns have proven successful. I have a specific interest in Crundles and Cave Crocodiles. In my base, open space in the mine shaft next to my personal cavern entrance, I  have managed to capture a Crundle! I set a cage trap near the entrance and it worked! I have begun studying its habits and diet. These weak little runts could be useful for pets, food, and hordes of targets as defense. Things are going well, but I think there are other powers at play in Doomforests. I must look into the political powers here.

Entry Eight:
My investigation has paid off, it appears as if this place is rife with cults and political shadow groups. Hmm, I must be careful to distance the Mechatechno sect from some of these groups. There are rumors of a Vampire cult. For Armoks sake! I must cleanse Doomforests by way of creation of magnificent machines and plans in the name of the Mechatechno sect! It must be in secret though, my cover as a normal armorer seems to be holding. For now. In the mean time I will continue studying the caverns and searching for new acolytes. The sect shall grow.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:59:43 am by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 21, 2015, 03:50:13 pm »

[OOC] 
Thank you Taupe.  Your future tomb will be upgraded to include a magma moat.  No magma-fall though.  Also, thanks for the feed back Dark One.  Perhaps your cult may not have all it's members thrown into the magma.  That may change though.
[/OOC]

3 Stands in front of one of his brother's engravings.  The last one to be read.  While he watches, the engraving changes.  Slowly, subtly, in ways most wouldn't notice.  Within the image, small changes in the fine detail reveal the message within.  Even if someone where standing beside him, they wouldn't be able to read the secret, as it was written in his clan's rune code.  After reading the message, 3 touches the wall and mutters a word under his breath, and the image reverts to it's original state.

"Very impressive brother.  I know you were experimenting with hiding messages this way, but I never thought that you would manage it.  I'll be sure to tell mother about this in my message to her."

After he's done at the image, he walks back to his room, carefully closing the door behind him.  He then takes out some paper, quickly drawing the runes out on the sheet.  Once done, he rolls it up and ties it with some string.  He then gets out another sheet, and does some more writing.  He rolls this sheet up, along with another, and ties it like the other.  Putting them in his pocket, he takes out some things from a drawer, and puts them in a pocket as well.

As he turns to leave, he stops, turns back to the drawer, takes out some other things and closes the drawer.  Placing the objects in his pockets, he then leaves and heads to the coffins holding his brothers, having found the one holding 1 with help from the good doctor.  He then looks around and once he's satisfied that no one is watching, he opens 1's coffin.  Wasting no time, he pricks his finger, drawing blood.
He then draws runes on the corpse's head and mutters some words.
Once the words are spoken, the runes glow a dull red for a moment, as do his eyes.  Just as he reaches into his pocket, a chill goes down his spine.

"So, the necromancers have begun raising spirits.  A small annoyance, but only if I taken precautions."

He then draws more runes on the body and speaks more words.
After the glow fades, he reaches into his pocket and takes out a small object.  It appears to be a small animal's skeleton, though on closer inspection, the bones have been carved into their current form, and taken from multiple different animals.  Placing the thing in the coffin, he touches the runes inscribed on it and mutters again.
He then closes the coffin, and rushes to 2's, where he repeats his actions.

Afterwords, he goes to Old DoomForests, from there he goes to the surface.  Looking around, he takes out two objects, as well as the papers he wrote earlier.  The objects this time look like small birds, with very large talons.  Placing the papers in the birds' claws, he touches the runes on their heads and mutters.

After that, he returns to his room, takes out paper, and begins to write three letters, each to a different person.  The first is to Taupe II, requesting a private meeting with the fort's new overseer, to exchange information regarding the future and safety of the fort.  The second is to TechnoXan, expressing interest in joining his sect.  The third he takes his time with.  It reads:

"To the Dark One:
I am aware of your presence here, and wish to speak with you.  We both have plans for this place, and I think we can aid each other.  Meet me in the dining hall in Old DoomForests a week today.  Alone.

Sealing that letter, he takes another bone messenger from his drawer, a rat like this time, see as it's target is under ground.  He puts everything in his pockets and leaves.  After delivering Taupe II and TechnoXan's letters, he wanders the halls of New DoomForest.  As he wanders, he remembers a song he heard once while traveling in human lands, and feeling it appropriate, he begins to hum it.  Once he is far enough away from everyone else, he puts his messenger down, touches the runes on it's head, same runes as on the birds, and mutters, managing to keep the tune of the song while doing so.  As the things scurries away, he says aloud, "Beware Dark One, for this game that we play is won in wily ways and sly is this littlest lord."  He continues humming the song as he heads back to his room, singing along with the final lines,
"Beware, Beware of the words I twist,
I am small but my reach is long.
And the ravens black against the winters mist
Are  whispering the half-man's song.
They're whispering the half-man's song.
Whispering the half-man's song."

[OOC] Bonus points to those who know the song I was using without having to google it.  Also, pm those plans TechnoXan, I am very interested in them. [/OOC]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:55:12 pm by Drazoth »

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2015, 06:05:44 pm »

Ok Drazoth, welcome to the sect! I'll pm you as soon as I get on my computer. (I'm on my phone right now.) I will also pm you some kind of trial situation, for journals.  :)

EDIT: Done!  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:48:58 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:46 pm »

Sorry I haven't been around a whole lot to join in on the journal-entering fun. I would, but I don't have a Psycho II yet, and I want it to be that way until it's almost my turn. Why? Because I want my turn to start out with me being thrown into the position of overseeing what will either be a chaotic shithole or a masterfully reclaimed Old Doomforests, and having no idea where to start (in character, at least).

So far I've been reading really great stuff, and I hope to join the bandwagon there when the time comes. So be ready for that, and we'll see what sort of chaotic subplots we can pull from the ashes (Or maybe dwarf/forgotten beast blood. Or maybe even soap) of Old Doomforests.

Excited to see a new age of pinpoint micromanagement by Taupe.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 21, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »

I like how some people like Dark one, Salemuk and Drazoth use Doomforests as a part of a greater plan and people like me, Taupe and Skaia just worry about the future of the fort, either unaware of the grand scheme of things, or trying to defend it of those behid the curtain.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 144