Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 430534 times)

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Years of Doomforests - pssst . . . wanna buy a termite skull?
« Reply #945 on: April 12, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »

Almost done! Just writing some fluff in so the journals don't seem so barren. I'll put it up tomorrow afternoon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 12, 2015, 11:22:56 pm »

! YES but where should you be placed? will you accept last?

I'm not sure if I missed you asking or what.

Thats fine. I'm not sure if or when i asked, and at this point im too lazy to search. Just maybe don't implode the place until then.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 13, 2015, 05:54:30 am »

Almost done! Just writing some fluff in so the journals don't seem so barren. I'll put it up tomorrow afternoon.

Can't wait!! Aw man the RP is going to be great!  :D  :)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:14 pm »

5th Timber, 1061

I’m not sure why, but I’m compelled to dig a massive pit, and fill it to the brim, with wiry, wriggling, crundles.
I…  I don’t know what has come over me, but just, this needs, NEEDS to be something we have built. Er, dug. And filled. With crundles.

13th Timber, 1061

I’ve been recently informed that my crundle pit is an extremely terrible idea. I just can’t see why! What’s the danger of putting ten small scurrying creatures in a massive pit? It’s near harmless! On a complete side note, the miners have slowed to a crawl. I can’t purge the wicked when my tunnelers can’t even heft a pick!

24th Timbohdammnit

Suddenly, a dwarf carrying another dwarf and sets him down on my desk, and begins takes out a bonesaw.
“What on earth are you doing?! Who even is that?”
“Solon.” says the dwarf on the table.
“I can’t find a traction bench, uh, ‘sir’!” says the standing dwarf. “Hope you don’t mind if I just set him down here, and do my job!” she says.

Solon smiles and gives a thumbs up as she begins to saw away at his leg. “Can’t feel a thing!” he says.

“Woah hey! You can’t just do this in here in my office, I have important documents here! You might splash blood on something important!” I say while pointed to a stack of papers on the corner of my desk. Most of which, are blank.

“Or at least they will be important.” I say, nervously. I look at the bone doctor, whos unapproving face gives off her opinion without even having her say a word. I then look to Solon, who looks back to me, smiling. I’m not sure what he’s on, but I could really use it in this situation.

“Look, can you just do this somewhere else? I really think that we-”

“Nope.” She says, not even waiting to hear my counterpoint.”

“Okay, I command you to go do this someplace else!”

She shrugs, and then continues sawing at Solon’s infected leg.
This is utter disobedience! I cannot tolerate this in my fortress! I grab a letter opener from my desk, and firmly lodge it in Solon’s other leg.

“Whoops. my finger slipped! Looks like you’re going to have to get some sutures for that wound!”

She stopped sawing, and slowly looked up to the small letter opener, then to me. It was at that moment in my (un?)life that I realized that I had made a terrible mistake.
On the bright side, I got her to move someplace else with her patient. Though, there were some unforeseen consequences. There’s a saw lodged in my neck cavity and I don’t know how to get it out.

8th Moonstone, 1061

The other dwarves, they grow tired of me. and quite frankly, there’s not much I can do about it. Luckily, It’s going to take more than one stab in the back to bring me down! Or at least, bring me down again..

20th Moonstone, 1061

The doctors are back! This time… It’s the “special” doctor. Taupe just burst in to my office, and he’s yelling at me to do something about a traction bench, and crundles, and dismembered legs.. And I-  I don’t know what to do. He’s just standing there, and he’s got a lazy eye and a bone saw... If anyone can hear the screaming, please send help…

21st Moonstone, 1061

OKAY FINE, I’LL BUILD A TRACTION BENCH! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! Please just… Go.. Leave! And never come back!

25th Moonstone, 1061

They’re just… nudging him. I’ve been watching for the past five minutes, and they’re not even helping him up. I built a traction bench for nothing!  Bunch of ingrates. “Do not harm” they say…

1st of Opal, 1061

You know, I went and said “happy new year” to someone today. And do you know what he said back to me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. turns out, he was dead. And for quite some time now. In fact, most of his, or  her, I can’t really tell at this point, skeleton was visible. The scarier part was that no one had noticed that cadaver just sitting there on the marble floors. This is mildly horrifying.
10th Opal, 1061

Auuuugh! THE CRUNDLES KEEP CRAWLING OUT OF THE HOLE!

… That sounds vaguely sexual.

(There's a LOT more, but I'll put it up tomorrow, because I just remembered I have to study for a test tomorrow)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 14, 2015, 04:48:15 pm »

… That sounds vaguely sexual.
I will burn every single crundle in the fortress during my next turn only because of that phrase.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 14, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! MY PRETTIES! You will pay! You will pay in your beloved blood!!!
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 14, 2015, 05:08:10 pm »

What are you going to do, type words at him? You're not even on the overseer list!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 14, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »

Crundles in my recovered-originally-sacked-then-used-to-backup-the-backup-when-it-failed-fortress?

It's more likely than you think.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:04 pm »

What are you going to do, type words at him? You're not even on the overseer list!

I will....will....will type furiously at him!!  :P Just kidding!  ;D

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 15, 2015, 11:24:15 pm »

Opal 7, 1062

I went to go confront the miners about the lack of work today, this was the ensuing conversation.
“So, just to get an idea of how much you’ve done with our little ‘project’, have you finished the first three levels of the tower yet.”

“Nope.”

“Okay, maybe I’m being a little too over ambitious. Did you at least finish the basic outside structure of the tower?”

“Mmmm, no.”

“Did you even hollow out one section yet?”

“Do I look like some sort of slave to you?”

Fucking miners. FUCKING MINERS! I gave you six months! And what have they done? Nothing What have they been doing for this whole time? molesting crundles and being worthless in every aspect!

Opal 15, 1062

How did you screw this up Kronk? How can you not tell the difference between “brimstone” and “basalt”?! They don’t even have the same color! THEY DON’T EVEN SMELL THE SAME! Why haven’t I killed you yet Kronk?!

Opal 21st, 1062

I’d like to say that nothing is going right, but that’s not even true. Just… Nothing is happening! No one does anything! It’s like they don’t even know that I’m the leader! Me! Not that raving doctor Taupe! Not that Mate the extremely long number, and not even Kronk! NOT EVEN KRONK!.

Obsidian… why does it even matter anymore.

I don’t even know what to write anymore, I’ve been sitting in my office for days now, and absolutely nothing has changed. No more murder-suicides, no subterranean abominations, and most importantly, no raving cult. I haven’t even noticed any cult related activities. I mean, sure. There was that time I found crusty brown glyphs that smelled suspiciously of blood plastered on the wall. And then there was that time I found six dwarves writhing on the floor with jute sacks over their heads and empty rum bottles littering the floor. They were going on about “void travelers” and “gold coins for space fare”. Yeah, forget this, I’m gonna go take another two day nap. I’m getting really good at those.

A familiar, not-so-friendly voice wakes up a familiar, no-so-dead dwarf
“YOU HAVEN’T GOT MUCH DONE, HAVE YOU?”

Oh shit he’s back! Quick, I have to come up with an excuse!

“I uh, yes I have! Take a look around! I uh- I’ve been busy!”

“WHILE FILLING A SHALLOW HOLE WITH SMALL ANIMALS IS SLIGHTLY AMUSING, THAT DOESN’T CONSTITUTE FOR GETTING THINGS DONE.”

“I’ve done plenty of things!”

“YES? SUCH AS?”

“I uh… Killed a massive bronze termite!”

“FASCINATING, DID YOU INVESTIGATE THE CULT?”

“The wha- Oh… that thing. Funny story, I uh... No, no I did not.”

“POINT PROVEN, TAKE OFF THE OVERSEER’S HAT AND GO LIE DOWN IN THE GROVE YOU WOKE UP IN.”

“The grove? Fuck that! I’ve gotten used to the whole ‘being alive’ thing! Besides, you said you wanted -me- to go and sort out this place’s troubles!”

“TRUTH BE TOLD, I WAS ACTUALLY JUST PREPARING ANOTHER FIGURE FAR MORE FIT TO LEAD THEN YOU WILL EVER BE. YOU WERE JUST TO KILL TIME WHILE I WAS DOING SO.”

“What?! Why didn’t you say so in the first place?!”

“BECAUSE, I HAD THE FEELING THAT YOU’D START SCREAMING AGAIN IF I HAD TOLD YOU.”

“Well I- fine then! I’ll start my own fortress! With our OWN set of false gods!”

“YOU GO DO THAT.”

And with those parting words, I tear off my robe and wizard hat overseer’s cloak and hat, and storm off, only to be stopped by the marksdwarf captain ShapedWhisper.
He didn’t look too pleased. And his next few words proceeded to shatter any faith I still had in religion.

“Who the hell were you talking to?!”

Shocked, I scoffed at him, or well, did the best scoff I could with a saw lodged in my throat.

“What, you mean you didn’t hear that? The booming voice, the constant scorn?”

“Maybe it’s about time you took a break…”

I didn’t even need to respond to that one. I leered at him, and walked off, making sure to shoulder-check him as I walked out. I don’t need these people, they can go lead themselves. Stupid fake wisdom gods… always ruining my unlife. I'm not crazy! I know what I heard! YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

OOC:
(Eugh, I ran out of stuff to write about. I long since finished the game, I just didn’t have anything to write about, nothing was happening. Everyone was either hauling, mining, or on break. And speaking of miners, THEY DIDN’T GET ANYTHING DONE! I kept adding people with “no jobs” and smelted like, twenty picks, but that didn’t help. Hardly anything got done this time around. On the bright side, only five fatalities!

Anyway, here's the save! http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10775 )

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 16, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »

Five fatalities!? That's good news! At least your reign was fairly calm.

With that said, I hope my turn isn't going to turn out like Taupe's... I dunno what I'd do if it did.

Also, I noticed that I've only been playing DF when it domes my time for succession forts. I suppose it's the narrative aspect that pulls me to it.

I'll probably get started on Saturday. I've got stuff going on tomorrow and I'm not in a big mood for DF at the moment.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 16, 2015, 04:04:43 pm »

"Yeah, I tossed some crundles in a pit and had a sandwich and five dorfs died and then I took a nap and uh... yeah, nothing happened really."

That is a good point though, statistically 5 dead dwarves in Doomforests isn't really distinguishable from background noise.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 16, 2015, 06:32:56 pm »

We'll, at least we now have a Crundle pit.  :)    Yeah this was a good turn and I can't wait for the next!! (RP soon to come)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:02:27 pm by TechnoXan »

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »

Journal of Dark One

Sitting on my bone throne I watched over Doomforests. Watching as the dwarves were working, watching when five of them died when trying to fill a pit with crundles. Honestly, I expected more deaths when overseer changed. I watched as the overseer talked with another god. There's something about that Ethan... wait, is that a hole in the neck? Undead overseer? I could've used that. I might need him alive for some time though. Having god's of death protection can be a real blessing... or a burden.

I was watched as Ethan left the cursed hat in the meeting area, so any sucker could pick it up and.... who's this new dwarf? Suddenly I have a strange urge to summon spirit of a long dead dwarf. I use my power to summon a random soul, and spirit of The Great Soaper appeared. It said:

- The great soap wizard would be back! My descendant would make destiny of our family come true! SOAP FOR ALL THE REALMS!!

Hmmh... the great soap wizard is going to be overseer... excellent! I focus my powers on that one dwarf. I spawn all the horrible creatures I can imagine, and send them in an enormous nightmare wave to him. The first nightmare I create myself, my minions would make more. I wait for the night, and in the right moment use my powers.

I was in his dream. He dreamt about masterwork bucket and masterwork soap bars. I use my power to change his dreams:

He woke up in his room, surrounded by darkness. The smell of death surrounds him. He walked out of his room into corridor dimly lit by torch in his hand. Then, he have fallen into a huge chasm, and landed in a pit full of abominations spawned by me. Everything flickers, changing colours from normal to black and white all the time. The colours became more stable, and he saw a wall with "Death is the answer..." written in blood on it. Then everything turns black, and suddenly I appear in front of him - my appearance altered so I looked like him... long after his death. I said to him:

- The great soap wizard shall come! There is no boundary for him... The reign of soap shall come!!!

And then I stab him with a carving knife in the heart, so he would wake up in reality.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »

Not that Mate the extremely long number
u fokken wot m8
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 144