Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426782 times)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of Doomforests
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »

I just had a thought, what version are you using and will we update to the new one assuming save compatibility? I'm so god-damn excited to harvest fruit and watch my dwarfs cry that I would sincerely hope we would, however the choice is up to you.

Oh yea, you can go ahead and update. Basically, as long as people post what version they use when they upload the save it's fine.
I use 40.13
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

How much !!FUN!! can a !!FUN!! fort have without any !!FUN!! people? No !!FUN!! at all, that's how much.
Count me in, let's have some !!FUN!!
In all seriousness, though (or maybe not so serious), I might try to construct a prison/asylum made entirely of soap. Why? 'Cuz it's !!FUN!!

That was a little tiring to type, by the way.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:29 pm »

Any chance I can get dwarf'd into the millitary?

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:49 am »

How much !!FUN!! can a !!FUN!! fort have without any !!FUN!! people? No !!FUN!! at all, that's how much.
Count me in, let's have some !!FUN!!
In all seriousness, though (or maybe not so serious), I might try to construct a prison/asylum made entirely of soap. Why? 'Cuz it's !!FUN!!

That was a little tiring to type, by the way.

Hey man, in the words of Einstein
If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
Can't wait to see your soap buildings :P.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:57 pm »

need update need update need update

hehe, but for real how's it coming? I'm anxious to play.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 10:44:27 pm »

Hehe, sorry Salmeuk. I actually finished playing my turn about 2 days ago, I just find it difficult to find time to make the writeup.
I should be done with that in a few hours though, so no worries.

Some more !!FUN!! stuff happened. To be honest our fort is already kind of disastrous XD. But I think I barely managed to save it from tantrumming out of control.

Zazit and a dwarf called Nish were bitten by the weregopher. Had to do something about them. Our last miner died as well because a child beat him up.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 03:47:02 am »

Late fall and winter of 1050:

A single journal entry bearing no date reads
What date is it? I've just awoken from another nightmare. Whenever I close my eyes I see it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One of our recruits was shaken by the head until he stopped moving. What a gruesome end.
I didn't know that dwarves could scream like our that until Nish was bitten by the beast. As soon as Zazit was assigned the post of militia commander she charged it, desperately trying to relieve Nish of its firm grasp on his eye. They only had their hands to do combat with, but what a fight!
If only fortune favoured the bold... Not in Doomforests.

Timber 21:
Cleaning up is going smoothly, but for some reason nobody wants to touch the remains of the human, i.e. the former weregopher. Atir idsanad has started engraving and smoothing everything in sight starting with the dining hall.
Now, here I thought that we would have the pleasure of admiring the courage of our fallen brethren forever carved into the immortal rock of our dining room, but take a wild ass guess at what our legendary engraver thought needed to be immortalized.
The rest of the walls feature historical events no one cares about. Does he realize we've been attacked?

Moonstone 2:
Still nobody wants to touch the human corpse which is now rotting in the middle of the blasted fort!

Moonstone 10:
Zazit Zaretast is asleep in his room. Now is our chance. We cannot allow the fort to succumb to a spiral of death and infection.
Sorry old friend, you did not deserve this fate. Doomforests is turning us all into beasts.

Moonstone 18:
Our industrial pursuits are grinding to a halt, only nine working dwarves remain. Morale is lower than ever. I can hear Zazit screaming to be let out. His chamber is next to mine.
Nish is suffering the same fate, as he too was bitten.
In my experience I've learned that when crises strike, the best cure is coffins. However with so few able bodied dwarves left it is taking time to complete them all.

Moonstone 20:
One of our children has lost both parents in the fight against the weregopher. Today he finally snapped.
He has gone berserk and is now beating up our only remaining miner, Ilral Azinuzol. What strength the little imp has! Ilral, being of too gentle a nature to fight a child back, is crippled.
With the brook frozen over we have no immediate water source and cannot nurse him back to health. Someone has to take over as the only miner of our fort.

Opal 16:
Winter is progressing without much notice. A makeshift hospital was prepared for Ilral Azinuzol in his bedroom while a proper one is being dug out, but he hasn't been drinking anything for almost a month.
Finally, most of us are safely tucked away in coffins, and the blasted human corpse has been hauled outside.

Obsidian 4:
Finally, I could take it no more. After almost half a year of pursuit I turn to Modom, "Fine, what do you want?" He replies

At first I am baffled. But then I remember. Last fall we finished our trade agreements, so followed me around for months waiting to say just that sentence. There is something wrong with that guy.
Anyway, this is what they request in trade.

Spring of 1051:
For now we seem to have stabilized. We have enough coffins, our halls are smoothed, everyone who had to die has died. My recent decision to mandate the live burial of two of our finest dwarves in their bedchambers, and my inability to save our only miner has made me unpopular, as one can imagine. It is true that the dead now outnumber the living.

It is early spring, I will take this opportunity to pass on leadership to whoever is stupid enough to take it upon themselves. I shall resign myself to working on the farm and keeping accounts while managing the workshops.
Whatever my successor decides he must be made aware that the terrible and ill mannered elven people occupy neighbooring lands. With what little pride I have left I shall urge him to defy those disgusting tree hugging bastards till the last dwarven breath in Doomforests. However, it is up to my successor to decide the course of our diplomacy.
The humans, which are expected to arrive in summer, tend to be agreeable folk. They are meaningful trading partners, and we ought to respect them.

Finally, if I can tell them nothing else before giving up my duties it will be this.
Make no mistake, they will come. Whether sooner or later, they always do.
Stockpile coffins.

File for Salmeuk:
http://www.filedropper.com/region3

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:03:21 am by Drokles »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 07:16:41 am »

And so it begins. I have uploaded the map to DFMA and I will copy the description I wrote here, but expect my diary soon.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12298-doomforests

Start of the second year of Doomforests. 11 morbid dwarfs live within the cramped spaces of this fortress, having endured a year of hardship and death. An unlucky 13 lay still, locked away within their communal tomb. The babbling stream is frozen over and the wind lays a chill upon those who venture outside our gates.

So begin my new-found responsibilities as Expedition Leader. I, Libash Steelspeaker, have take over from Drokles Chainglaze as decision maker. In my hands lays the fate of these sturdy Ten. In my hands the future will unravel. In my hands, Doomforests will shine!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:45 am »

Hehe, I am looking forward to this. I get a feeling that you've planned your turn for a while ;D.

Thanks for uploading the map!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

1st Granite, 1051

I've taken over from Drokles Chainglaze. His year-long post as expedition leader
has been plagued by death and slow progress, but to his credit no one expected the
dangers we faced. During his reign I acted as resident woodcutter, and I have no
plans to stop my labor. Considering his experience, I have decided to give
Drokles the managerial responsibilities while I simply act as decision-maker. He
has developed a rapport with us, and I have no wish to subdue his positive impact
upon the forts mood.

Our first order of business is to organize the various labors for improved
efficiency - our current state of aimless task-doing has produced very little in
the past few months. Specific duties for specific dwarfs, rule number one of
fortress organization and a rule that I plan to enforce.

Our current stocks:

2nd Granite, 1051

Barely two days after being elected leader do we discover multiple kobolds trying
to sneak past our entrance. What they seek to steal is beyond me - our fortress
holds nothing of impressive value beyond the raw copper nuggets littering our
stockpiles. Their attempts are no doubt mindless, the poor creatures driven by
their very nature to sneak and steal.

4th Granite, 1051

Drokles seems busyhanded lately. I imagine that his lack of responsibilities has
led to him feeling ansty, and suggested that he take up stonecarving to numb his
nerves. He has even produced a few crafts that the traders might appreciate.

6th Granite, 1051

On one of my trips into the surrounding forest I spotted a massive flock of
buzzards circling just above our entrance. Hopefully they aren't a sign of things
to come.

7th Granite, 1051

I ordered the farms expanded. We need to produce more food and the best way to do
that is to increase the size of our tilled soil. The plants are currently growing
in a sandy loam, but luckily plump helmets take little nutrition to thrive (after
all, they are fungus).

Along with that I ordered some of our logs to be stockpiled outside the entrance.
We have more than enough wood and as such I haven't had a need to search for
lumber for some time. I feel aimless without an axe in my hands.

15th Granite, 1051

An elven caravan arrived today, traveling over the hills behind our entrance.

They brought numerous wooden crafts, but such a weak material holds no value for
a dwarf. Drokles met with them and agreed to trade various clothing from our
deceased brethern for the small barrel of fruit they brought. He also gave them
a strong reminder to bring useful things, rather than the wooden trash that
seemed to literally grow from trees. Our relations with the elves have always
been shaky, and they simply dismissed his complaints. Both parties left the meeting frustrated.

I made sure they saw me brutally chopping logs as they left.

14th Slate, 1051

We are getting sick of plump helmets, so today I ordered the slaughter of the two
beasts who hauled our wagon to this mountainside. No one had become attached to
them during the period between then and now, and at the thought of finely roasted
Yak meat our butchers got to work immediately.

14th Slate, 1051

Great news! Migrants!

Possibly attracted by the aforementioned smell of roasted
Yak, 25 new dwarfs arrived from the southeast. A majority were fairly unskilled,
though we did acquire some metalworkers, a broker, and multiple marksdwarfs. I
assigned most of the unskilled to constructing blocks and general Masonry, because
what is a fort without it's builders?

Our Doctor had been serving as the substitute miner and was happy to lay down the
pickaxe and get back to studying physiology.

3rd Felsite, 1051

Eshtan was claimed by dwarven spirits today. In his fey mood he hurriedly took
control of our only craftshop and began a strange construction. His odd behavior
was the talk of the fortress, for he had hauled the remains of the Yak over
before closing himself off. What strange object would he create?

8th Felsite, 1051

Eshtan emerged from the shop today, holding a strange white object. Getting
closer, I was taken aback: he had crafted a short sword from the bones of the
yak! Deemed "Pointyhails the Scarce Climate," the object was menacing yet
confusing. Despite the superb craftskill employed by Eshtan (who knew he was a
legendary bonecrafter all this while?), would a bone sword even hold against an
inferior, yet metal weapon?

Whatever the case, we welcome his newfound talent to the fort.

24th Hematite, 1051

More migrants arrived today, bringing our fortress to 47 total. I assigned most
of them to the inglorious task of hauling - their skills were lackluster and
right now we have more than enough masons.

25th Hematite, 1051

The needs of our carpenters have increased since the arrival of so many new
dwarfs, so today I felled a few trees for the first time in months! It was good
to work with my hands after such a long hiatus, and the carpenters were happy to
have fresh logs from which to craft barrels, beds and bins.

17th Malachite, 1051

I've constructed a courtyard of sorts. The main purpose is to funnel any visitors
through a more predictable path, and assuming all goes well we should be alerted
before any invaders step inside our entrance.

29th Malachite, 1051

I've constructed a separate entrance than runs past the river canyon and
waterfall. Hopefully this entrance can serve as a more easily defended position,
with a winding tunnel and eventual military patrol.

(OOC)

I laughed so hard when I went to the alerts screen and saw this:

1st Limestone, 1051

Autumn has come. In these past 6 months our time has been spent well, with few
interruptions. I recently prioritized military training for the few marksdwarfs
that we have, and set up a rudimentary barracks and range for them to train in.

More to come soon! Also, I now realize some of the screenshots are cut off and will adjust them properly for the next update.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:50:17 am by Salmeuk »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »

Haha, I completely forgot about that. Was in a hurry when the weregopher struck. Seriously though, I feel like an emergence burrow can only be named "FUCKFUCKFUCK" XD.

Cool, we've got some labour in the fort again. Can't wait to see what you're going to use it for :D.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »

12th Limestone, 1051

The Dwarven caravan has arrived. Three massive wagons passed through our front
gate and unloaded all sorts of interesting goods. We bought out all the food and
drink they brought, though our most exciting purchase was a plain but menacing
steel axe. Whatever dwarf lucky enough to wield such a weapon should dominate the
battlefield! Once the visiting dwarfs we threw a party to celebrate our bulging
stockpiles.

10th Timber, 1051

A quiet autumn this has been. Expansions to the craftshops, storage, food storage
have been dug. A new dining room has been carved from a microcline formation -
the baby blue walls are a sight to see! New bedrooms have also been laid out,
with a vein of pure gold intersecting a large portion. Our dwarfs should be
happier than ever!

12th Timber, 1051

One of our new military recruits was missing from his assigned training today.
After some searching, we found him huddled in the corner of the craftdwarf's
shop, mumbling about this and that - he's been taken by a mood! However, his
choice of materials for his great work are sub-par.

15th Timber, 1051

Three days later the recruit emerged. He presented a mug, aesthetically shaped
and adorned with rings and bands. On it, he told the story of arrival from a
child's perspective, Tun Mirrorwade, who had migrated to Doomforests in the summer
of the previous year.

An odd choice of subject, I would have preferred a story about one of the more
relevant dwarfs. So many of us are hardworking and talented individuals, so why
create such an artifact for an average child? I suspect he simply wanted to shirk
his axe training, though I can't account for his superb work - perhaps he was
possessed by a lost spirit?

In any case, Olin Archclod (the mug's creator) is now an esteemed stonecrafter
and has been removed from military duty.

23 Opal, 1051

This is terrible. One of the wood haulers just came running thought he front
gate, screaming about a great beast! His hurried description revealed that the
Beast was a minotaur, a terrible mythical creature with the strength of ten
dwarfs.

I ordered all dwarfs inside, and then ordered our ragtag militia out the gate.
The minotaur was fast, however, and arrived before our melee troops could equip
their weapons. This left our marksdwarfs to fight by themselves against the
beast.

It was a slaughter, for the marksdwarfs lacked any bolts with which to shoot, and
their wooden crossbows couldn't land a hit on the beast. All were killed. In a gruesome act of savagery, the Minotaur stomped a misplaced baby dwarf to death. This beast would have to pay.

In a flash, the Minotaur dashed past the first gate and began grappling with poor
Vutok. Vutok, one of the aformentioned woodhaulers, had been trying to return
inside.

However, his poor luck proved miraculous for the fortress, for while Vutok
wrestled the beast the second gate was shut, trapping the Minotaur within the
courtyard and saving the fort from destruction.

The minotaur was tired from killing the marksdwarfs, however, and wasn't able to
give Vutok a quick death. They struggled for a great length of time, with Vutok
sustaining heavy injuries and losing consciousness multiple times. The minotaur,
too, lose consciousness as Vutok's body refused to give in.

At this time, something unimaginable happened. Vutok, in a flurry of blows,
gouged the minotaurs stomach and tore important internal organs. This turned the
tide of battle, giving Vutok the chance to break the beast's fingers, bite it's
head, and eventually kill it.

No one expected this, so when we finally opened up the inner gate and saw Vutok
lying there next to the Minotaurs corpse we assumed the worst. However, we found
him alive and barely breathing, at the bottom of a muddy pit just outside the gate.

A true hero! This shall go down in legends for centuries to come. A single,
unarmed peasant killing a mighty Minotaur with nothing but his willpower.

A hospital was quickly carved and Vutok examined by the surgeon. It is not known
yet the full extent of his internal injuries, and the doctor couldn't say whether
he would make a full recovery. We can only wait and pray for such a hero to
survive!

OOC:
More to come tomorrow. So much absurd stuff has happened, I don't even know. I truly had no clue that Vutok would best the Minotaur - I was happy enough having it contained. Hell, I would have almost preferred that! A live minotaur in a closed-off courtyard would have been fun. You can see what courtyard I mean at the top of this post - it's the one the caravan is shown passing through.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:26:46 pm by Salmeuk »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 11:13:12 pm »

That. Was. EPIC.

The only way it could have been better is if they were on fire while fighting.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:28 pm »

That. Was. EPIC.

The only way it could have been better is if they were on fire while fighting.

Be careful what you wish for. . . no really don't jynx me. This minotaur is just the beginning.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 01:02:43 am »

Vutok is the stuff heroes are made of. Well, was. Now he's the stuff applesauce is made of. Namely, sauce.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 144