Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426875 times)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of Doomforests
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2014, 08:42:49 pm »

I seem to not be able to play my turn through, if I wont' answer in 1 day after the turn before me is finished, assume that I'm out.. (may have no internets for next month, not sure)
No worries, thanks for the heads up. In that case, would you like me to advance your turn a few weeks when that time comes?

Thanks for stepping up Drazoth, have fun ;D
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2014, 10:11:05 pm »

(Sorry about being late with this) 
{This the revised version.  If you wanted to see the original, you are out of luck.  Also the first version was terrible and why would you want to read it?}

After the last overseer quit due to mental illness, the other retired overseers called a meeting of the whole fort to determine the next overseer.  Since no one else was willing to step forward, I nominated my self.  Since no one opposed me, I became leader of this fort. 
Now that I have power over this fort, I can begin working on the plan.

1st Granite:  Why are there so many animals around here?  Don't we have a place for them?  It would seem we don't.  This is a major problem for two reasons. 1.) They are in the way, making getting around the place a pain in the ass.  2.)  Most of these animals are grazers and there is no grass inside here.  I just got word that a donkey has starved to death in the dining hall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now the whole area smells like donkey shit.  I order it butchered and have the rest of the animals moved to the above-ground farm.  That ought to keep them out of the way, and now the whole place won't smell like a barn.

3rd Granite: I have just been informed that a kobold was sighted in the courtyard.  Pesky little vermin those kobolds.  I order the courtyard sealed and mobilize the army, such as it is.  Once they get off their lazy asses I order them to kill the damn thing.
[spoiler[/spoiler]
Not 5 seconds after the pest is killed I am notified that a small force of goblins has arrived to lay siege to us.  I order our "army" to go deal with them.
Reg, one of the soldiers has entered a martial trance.  Hopefully he will kill those annoying things and this fort can get back to normal business.  As a precaution, I order any dwarves still outside to return to the fort.

12th Granite: While the army is dealing the gobbos, a child is taken by a fey mood.  Perhaps he'll make something useful.  If he does, I won't
include him as part of my plans for dealing the obnoxious vermin known as "children".
Checking back on the battle, all but one of our military dwarfs is dead, as well as a baby that wandered out with the army.  So not a total disappointment.  The survivour is a marksdwarf who retreated and decided to go to bed.  Useless bastard.  On the plus side, only two gobbos are alive and one of them is in a cage.  Wait, why is the carpenter out side, and why is he asleep?

20th Granite: The carpenter wakes up and decides to head inside.  The gobbo, badly wounded fighting our military, retreats, slowly due to it's injuries.  I don't want him to report back to his vile leaders about how vulnerable our defenses are so I have the miners form an emergency squad, and order them to kill the gobbo before he leaves.  However, the marks dwarf decides to wake up and kill the gobbo.
I guess he gets to live after all.
The kid completes his work!
And it is completely useless.  Oh well.

30th Granite: I just found out that some idiot decided that our metal working area should be in the caverns, you know, that place with the dangerous and angry animals?  I wonder which of the geniuses that used to run the place did that?  I shall have to rectify this if the is to succeed.
We also have only four bars of iron.  How are we supposed to make a proper army with this?  I have the miners start digging for metal and coal, so we can move our metal works somewhere near the rest of the fort.
Also, there appears to be a ghost haunting the current metal works, and I don't feel like that is a safe work environment, or a productive one.  I order a slab to be made immeadiately so that it will go away.

4th Slate: Good news for once: the miners have found galena and hematite. The hematite is more important, but the galena can be used to make trade goods so I allow it to be dug out.

28th Slate: Good Progress is being made on the new metal works area, also, a bunch of migrants arrived, bringing our population up to 115.
This will definitely help to replace the lost soldiers.

1st Felsite: I order the miners to dig out some bedrooms to make room for everybody.  Though this will slow down the more important projects, I won't be able to get anything done with people whining about not having a bed to sleep in.

25th Felsite: Bed rooms have been dug out.  Now work can resume on the metal project.  The miners have also found aluminum.  I know it to be valuable for some reason so I order it dug out for trade good making.

More to come. 
Bonus pic: The funniest name I have ever seen  on a gobbo
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:38:47 pm by Drazoth »
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2014, 10:20:38 pm »

You didnt put the ''img'' tag around the screenshots. :(

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:47 pm »

Fixed
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2014, 01:16:45 am »

So, the Goblins actually know about Doomforests and expect to wipe it off the map. If they knew the amount of crazy shit that goes here, I suspect they wouldn't bother.
How many goblins where there?
Oh and what's the general status of the fort these days? I had no idea we actually would be up to 110 dwarves by now.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2014, 02:05:47 am »

What you see as an increase in population, the surrounding beasts simply see as a more stable food supply.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »

To answer Dorkles, There were 10 gobbos, 2 macegobs, 2 swordsgobs and the rest are marksgobs.  Things are going well, food supplies are good, but we only have only one marks dwarf  as our army.  Tell me, what should I do with the gobbo captive?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:39:36 pm by Drazoth »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2014, 09:09:26 pm »

To answer Dorkles, There were 10 gobbos, 2 macegobs, 2 swordsgobs and the rest are marksgobs.  Things are going well, food supplies are good, but we only have only one marks dwarf  as or army.  Tell me, what should I do with the gobbo captive?
Magma, of course.
That, or send the cage to the caves, where he would serve as an alarm to any hellish abomination that comes by.
And yes, a goblin yellin in horror and pain as a giant scaly ass tears him apart is a good alarm.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »

Here is Summer
{Again this is the revised version.  Old one was rubbish.  Deal with it.}

1st Hematite: Miners Strike Hematite, can never have to much, especially with the sorry state of our army i.e. almost non existent.  Also, weird coincidence with the date.

4th Hematite: Miners Strike Brimstone and native copper.  I know humans think of brimstone as an ill omen, but humans are dumb, they know nothing about rocks.  I think I will ignore the copper for now, as iron is more useful.  Though in the future I might have some brimstone mined out and have some trade goods made with it, just to see how the humans might react when they are given it.

5th Hematite: A child has gone insane! Well, at least it was no one useful or important.  Like say, an adult.
He just stripped of his clothes and is crawling around, covered in his own blood and tears, babbling nonsense.  To bad I can't order them army to just kill him, seeing as we don't have one and even if we did they would make a fuss about it.

13th Hematite: Human caravan arrives.  Excellent, we can get some food and booze, maybe weapons for the army. 

16th Hematite: Humans finally make it to trade depot and begin unloading.  What the bloody hells took so long?  Were they lost, or are they just stupid like I suspect all humans are?

21st Hematite: Trade some crap lying around to humans for food and booze, not that we needed any.  The only useful weapon they had was an iron warhammer.  Oh well.  At least this will allow us to have the farmers do something else. 
(Seriously, we could feed the fort for year with what we have)

27th Hematite: I ordered some bed rooms dug for migrants that should be arriving sooner or later.  The metalworks have been dug and built a while ago, been making charcoal as real coal has not been found yet.  I will have the miner continue looking once these bedrooms are done.  The smelters have finally begun making iron.  Things are more or less going to plan.  Will work on getting the military set up properly.

3rd Malachite: Some migrants have arrived, like I knew they would.  The forts population is now 131, with 34 farmers and 17 fishery workers.  Well, at least there will be plenty of conscripts for when the time comes.

6th Malachite: Miners have struck gold.  We have plenty of it lying around, the miners will continue to mine hematite and look for coal..
19th Malachite: Risen Rigotasol, a miller, has been taken by a fey mood.  Maybe he'll make something useful.  Yeah, maybe a golden warhammer something like that.  Oh, never mind, he's seized a leather works.

23rd Malachite: The crazy kid has died of dehydration.  Well, at least he can't annoy anyone anymore.

25th Malachite: Mebzuth Shemsacat, one of our miners, has slipped into depression, is just sitting around in one of the tunnels.  I was hoping that the useful members of the fort would be a little more mentally sturdy.  I hope she gets well soon.

11th Galena: The miners have found more aluminum.  Can't hurt to dig it out.

14th Galena: Why has nobody buried the crazy kid yet?  He's just lying there, rotting in the middle of the fort, giving off miasma.  Even in death he continues to be a hindrance.

18th Galena: Mebzuth has finally recovered from her depression.  Hopefully she can overcome her problems and become a useful member of the fort again.  Oh never mind, she just slipped back into depression.  Given the nature of this fort, can't say I'm surprised.

25th Galena: A baby appears to be haunting the farms.  Apparently, it slipped outside the fort during the siege along with the army got it self killed by a gobbo.  While dieing was probably the most useful thing it could have done at that age, this shall have to be dealt with.  Armok I hate kids.  Especially ghost kids, because at least living ones can be dropped of a cliff.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:12:23 pm by Drazoth »

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:26 am »

Nice update, I vote that we keep the goblin outside and then release it when elven traders arrive.

Meanwhile, look what someone drew in the forgotten beast art thread :

Do you recognize it Ethan?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2014, 03:38:24 am »

Woah, didn't expect to see this fortress still updating. Not that I lack confidence in you guys, just that's the way things seem to go.

It also seems that I permanently crippled our military by, uh, never setting it up properly or giving it enough recruits. So you can thank me for the lack of manpower.

Perhaps one of you could upload to DFMA after your turns? I believe you can even add it to the map series of the one I uploaded already.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2014, 03:53:31 pm »

Very nice FB.  I have taken your inputs regarding the gobbo, and have decided to ignore them in favour of having the cage moved to the archery range so that it may be executed by target practice.  Also, thanks to Salmeuk for confessing his sin of screwing our military.  In penance, you shall be conscripted.  Expect the fall update to be posted to night.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:14:07 pm by Drazoth »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »

The long awaited fall update is upon us!!
{Again, this the revised version.  Deal with it.}

3rd Limestone: Miners Strike Gold.  I have them ignore it for now.

6th Limestone: The mayor mandates animal traps for some weird reason.  It's not like we need them.. oh well.  At least this gives me and the other metal workers something to do until military production begins.

7th Limestone: A calf has been found dead of starvation.  It's a shame really, it's not like I'm even going to order it butchered, seeing as we have more food then we could possibly need.  This reminds me, I should make sure any new animals that the migrants have brought are moved up with the rest.

8th Limestone: Another animal has been found starved to death, a horse this time.  Apparently I didn't give that pasture order fast enough.  Also, that guy with the strange mood went insane.  Apparently he wanted stone blocks, despite our stockpile of them.  He better not do anything that might hurt a useful member of the fort, or he will be put in a cage and used for bait in a gobbo trap.

13th Limestone:  Miners struck Hematite, one of the most valuable ores to us right now, and aluminum, a useless metal, over the last few days.  Also, we met the mayor's mandate.  Hopefully that will keep him happy for a bit.

19th Limestone:  The dwarven caravan arrives!!!  I'm eager to hear news from the mountain homes, however, I'm busy getting our metalworking production setup, so I send the mayor to meet with the liason, and have the broker do some trading.
The news the liason brought:
What the traders will want when they come next year:
Also, apparently or fort is now a barony.  Also, I'm now a baron.

This is excellent news.  While I wouldn't have thought this place worthy of a barony, it is a great honor to be made a member of the nobility.  This has benefited the plan quite nicely.  Also, apparently I have a wife.  I don't remember getting married.  I must have been shit faced when that happened.  Or she's lying about being my wife.  I guess I'll tolerate her for now, though I will dispose of her if she causes to much trouble.

21st Limestone: My "wife" has been complaining about the "lack of accommodations befitting the nobility".  After looking into it, she seems to be right.  Given the shit that has been happening over the years, I'm not surprised.  Well, things seem to quiet now so I order some space dug out for these new rooms we seem to need.  It's just as well anyway, I've been wondering about those rooms my self.

27th Limestone:  That annoying ghost baby has finally been put to rest.  No more will it stalk our halls, crying out for teats that it can no longer suckle.  I have also made sure that any others who have been without proper burial have been memorialized, so as to prevent further hauntings.

28th Limestone:  Our broker reports that he has finished trading with the caravan.  He got rid of all the useless trade goods lying around in exchange for all of the booze and food they brought, as well as some anvils, some weapons and all the bolts they brought.  Using these, I order some losers into our army, as we finally have equipment for them.  Hopefully we will be properly prepared for another attack when it arrives.

2nd Sandstone: The dining rooms for our nobles have been carved out, with the walls being smoothed and engraved as I write.  This should keep that shrill voiced harpy happy, or at least quiet her down a bit.  I must admit, these rooms will quite useful to me, giving me a place to write and plan without any of the common rabble looking in.  They must not know the plan.

13th Sandstone:  I finally decide to use the power of my station, so that the populace of this fort will recognize me and the power I hold.  Since I'm not a complete twat, I order something useful, namely some quivers for our marks dwarves.

23rd Sandstone: Some migrants arrive, bringing our total population up to 143.  Also, the bedrooms and offices for the nobles have been carved out, greatly reducing the annoying noises coming out of the bitches mouth, which has done wonders for my migraine.  I think I will have her disposed of though.  I grow tired of her whining.

28th Sandstone:  Risen, that guy who went crazy over the "lack" of stone blocks died to today of dehydration.  Now if only my "wife" could follow in his footsteps....

3rd Timber: I have mandated the production of more quivers.  This way we can have have a squad of marksdwarves that will actually be able to fight for more than 3 seconds before retreating for more ammo.  Also, Mebzuth, the miner with the mood swings, has been stumbling around obliviously.  I hope she'll be okay.  We don't need her setting a bad example with her behavior.

7th Timber:  The 30 bars of iron I ordered smelted have been made.  This should be a good start on rebuilding our army.

10th Timber: The mandate for quivers has been met.  Also, all the nobles rooms are done, with the exception of my tomb.  While I'm at it, I'll make tombs for the past overseers of this place.  Well, at least the ones that are still alive.  After all, while they may not all be as smart or talented as I, I do owe them for keeping this place alive long enough for me to take over.

23rd Timber: Degel Avuzgusil, a lye maker, has been possessed!!!  Odd, I thought I dealt with the all ghosts....

25th Timber: Degel has claim a craft dwarfs shop!  I wonder if he'll make something useful.  Probably not though, given how these tend to go, he'll end up insane or make something completely useless.

And thus ends the fall update.  I'll try to have the rest up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:32:05 pm by Drazoth »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 09:14:40 pm »

Sorry to say, but another siege came, and some how some gobbos and a troll got into the pasture, and from there into the fort. :'(
Looks like the fort is screwed.  I will try to salvage it, but i doubt there will be success.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »

Just lock up deeper into the fort, eat and drink moss for a season, and wait. after a week or two something terrible should come around and eat the goblins. If that fail, just... unleash everyone after the monsters. Massive swarms of untrained peasants seem to be how our milicia operates in times of crisis, which is pretty much all the time anyway.

Anyway, what's a tantrum spiral.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 144