Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426805 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Megabattle in Doomforests - To be Engraved on a Stone Wall Near You!
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:30 pm »

• mate888
  • Salmeuk
*gasp* Lies!

Indeed.

He'll change it after you complete your turn in a week or so. You think you can do it by then?

Read these rules and follow them
  • Complete your turn within one week. Due to past experiences I cannot emphasize this enough. Do not sign up unless you know you can do this.*

*: If you can't do this but still want to play, there might be a solution. E.g. placing you somewhere else in the turn order. If there are some obvious reasons why you can't do it and probably no one else can, for instance Christmas break, we can probably be reasonable.

Just noticing you've only finished month one....

Look, I'm not going to be a hardass and tell everyone to skip your turn once 7 days hits. That'd be dumb, and waste all the effort you've already placed in the fortress. Nor am I'm saying I don't believe you can put out the update in a timely fashion. But can we agree as a group that if you haven't completed your turn by the end of the second week or so, you upload the save for the next in line to play? I expect you have completely legitimate reasons for being busy. Life happens to everyone, and writing up almost every little thing takes up a significant amount of time. Especially for a fortress as complicated as Doomforests. I just don't want anyone's turn to last over a month when it was made clear for one week. And at the rate of one month for four days......

Let me say one thing. Your updates are great. They're like the writing of someone that sees doom around every corner, and whose instinct is to attack first. I enjoy reading them. This is questions about procedure in general.

I just think we need to come up with some hard rules as a group of how long you can take your turn, and what it means for the length of the next person in line. Something like 15 real days or one game year from starting, whatever comes first? People get ample time to work, and you don't have to worry about anyone taking up more game time than their share. A half month.

Of course, if everyone else says that I should cool down and it takes however long it takes, then I'll just shut up and learn to be patient. I've just had...experiences...with this kind of wait, and I'd prefer we set some hard rules about what's expected of us early on before anything happens, and I like what PsychoAngel did when he uploaded his save so no work goes to waste. But after all, it's only been four days. 

Anyone else's thoughts?
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:28 pm »

Damn.
I'll try to be quick, and if I don't get to the end of the year in the second week, I'll just have a breakdown and pass the save.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2015, 10:09:58 pm »

The framerate is not what it used to be, and I think Doomforests benefits from non-rushed writing. I would suggest two weeks for a turn, but encourage to skip over to the next in line if they know they'll be especially busy.

As for the four days to do a month, well, let's keep in mind that yesterday was new yer's eve, and I assume people have parties and family reunion to attend. The forums have been rather dead since the 29th.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:15:16 pm by Taupe »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2015, 10:51:57 pm »

Yeah, the bogged down framerate is a good point, along with the holidays.  Two weeks is still a good rule I think, but even that deadline can be altered with varience to finish up a story or something. Doomforests has a history now, and we'd be in error to let the writing get shoddy out of panic. Of course, we have many signing up for a second turn so it's not a one-time opportunity to make a difference in the end. It's just a fallback rule that helps keep the save moving.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2015, 01:06:47 am »

The framerate is not what it used to be, and I think Doomforests benefits from non-rushed writing. I would suggest two weeks for a turn, but encourage to skip over to the next in line if they know they'll be especially busy.

As for the four days to do a month, well, let's keep in mind that yesterday was new yer's eve, and I assume people have parties and family reunion to attend. The forums have been rather dead since the 29th.
Yeah, I'll try to post the save if I don't finish after two weeks.

5 of Slate, 1056
Well, the animals that came with the elves and were not killed apparently befriended us. I don't see much use for them but they'll do as exotic pets.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kol has been finally put to rest and me, my wife and my son have now a nice room.
Also, I decided to make a new room for the crypt, we have alredy filled the other three rooms.
We have three huge coffin rooms all full, and still most of the corpses are laying on the evil half of the fort.
Shit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

7 of Slate
We are going to dig up a new level of the fort, because relying only in Astville and the not-so-evil half of the fort on everything can be confusing. Also because I have plans on Smuntsu's office.
No, forget it, nobody wants to dig.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Nah, it can't be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I don't know what to do until the elves get here, I guess I'll focus on the fort's well being and that nothing evil comes from the caves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A dwarf came to my office screaming something about a buzzard stealing 5 peaches.
Weird, because he took them out of the peach tree. Birds have to eat, haven't they? I'm not THAT paranoid. Unless...
Unless the elves sent that bird to steal our food and starve us to death before the attack. Those assholes.
Well, food is not a problem with the farms working, so those tree huggers may aswell keep trying to rob us, they'll fail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crundles may seem sentient, but they're not. And if they are, I don't care, they taste like cat!

Drazoth II has been crying. I don't blame him, but this is not the time to show weakness, we will cry when we are safe and we retake our fort.

More elfic birds are taking fruit from the trees. Apparently they don't want the things that carry the seeds of the trees so close to the dwarves. They think they have all the right to the wood in the world, and that's why they want to take our Forests of Doom on theyr Tree Jihad. Well, we will not let them take this woodlands. They are our home. Let the dwarves from the Mountainhomes call us "Forest Dwarves", we will not leave Doomforests while alive. Nobody will leave Doomforests alive. No elf, no vampire, no enemy will.

*Sigh* Of course.

No, Kol has not been memoralized, poor Taupe can't get any rest can he? The ghost of that asshole is haunting the woodlands. The worst is that the engravers said that they engraved the memorary slab, but I can't find it anywhere. Why won't you work?!
Actually, why won't anyone work?! The miners don't mine, the engravers don't engrave and all they do is hauling, hauling HAULING!
I told them clearly NOT TO HAUL, but the only one who decided to dig is Taupe, and he only dug one little tile of the crypt before going back to get drunk! How will I reach the end of the year with such frustrating idiots?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 of Slate
Wait, we don't have a bowyer's workshop?! This is basic fortress stuff and we don't have any?!
I'll fix the error right away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TAUPE YOU SONUVABITCH MEMORALIZE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
The ghost of Kol is not very subtle. I have to respect Taupe II, I would be terrified if I had a ghost screaming less than one meter behind me, but he just doesn't give a shit and he keeps planting the seeds of the farm.
"*Sigh* Go haunt the engravers then, they are the ones who made the slab but do not want to show it."
"B-but I don't know them. I'm a shy dwarf Taupe, you know me since our beards had color"
"Then go and meet them"
"Nah, I'd rather haunt you. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
"AAAAAAAH, GODS, I'll never get used to this!"

---------------------------------------------------

I'll have the trees in the courtyard cut off, mostly to insult the elves, but also because I don't trust the caverns.
The damn treehuggers may have ambushed themselves somewhere alredy, so they may never attack until some poor asshole goes out in search for them.
Also, we may actually manage to regain the evil half of the fort if we manage to lure Osp into the bridge and "accidentally" pull the bridge lever, making him fall to a watery death. But... Then, when the elves inevitably come here to finish the job that their beast could not, there will be no one to stop them, and it will be the end of us.
I'll not let Doomforests fall for my lack of patience. Once the autmun caravan arrives (I hope it does) with news of the rest of the world, we will know more, and what effect did our attack on the elves to our civilization and theirs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kol has now been put to rest. We will never forget him. Or, at least, Taupe will never forget him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 of Slate
Ew. The depot is filled with miasma and the rotting and mangled corpses of the elves and a horse are frankly quite terrifying. But our depot is a fine one. I feel quite intrested on it actually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mayor Sodel is conducting a meeting. And I feel like she's the only person that actually does what she says she's going to do instead of taking breaks, eating, drinking, sleeping, planting seeds and taking another fucking break!
I need a drink.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:08:22 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2015, 03:29:01 am »

*Sigh* Of course.

Ho ho ho.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2015, 09:05:10 am »

Hello friends, good to see some activity here.
Damn, you wrote A LOT mate888 I look forward to actually reading it all still :D.

• mate888
  • Salmeuk
*gasp* Lies!

Indeed.

He'll change it after you complete your turn in a week or so. You think you can do it by then?

• Complete your turn within one week. Due to past experiences I cannot emphasize this enough. Do not sign up unless you know you can do this.*

*: If you can't do this but still want to play, there might be a solution. E.g. placing you somewhere else in the turn order. If there are some obvious reasons why you can't do it and probably no one else can, for instance Christmas break, we can probably be reasonable.

Look, I'm not going to be a hardass and tell everyone to skip your turn once 7 days hits. That'd be dumb, and waste all the effort you've already placed in the fortress. Nor am I'm saying I don't believe you can put out the update in a timely fashion. But can we agree as a group that if you haven't completed your turn by the end of the second week or so, you upload the save for the next in line to play? I expect you have completely legitimate reasons for being busy. Life happens to everyone, and writing up almost every little thing takes up a significant amount of time. Especially for a fortress as complicated as Doomforests. I just don't want anyone's turn to last over a month when it was made clear for one week. And at the rate of one month for four days......

Let me say one thing. Your updates are great. They're like the writing of someone that sees doom around every corner, and whose instinct is to attack first. I enjoy reading them. This is questions about procedure in general.

I just think we need to come up with some hard rules as a group of how long you can take your turn, and what it means for the length of the next person in line. Something like 15 real days or one game year from starting, whatever comes first? People get ample time to work, and you don't have to worry about anyone taking up more game time than their share. A half month.

Of course, if everyone else says that I should cool down and it takes however long it takes, then I'll just shut up and learn to be patient. I've just had...experiences...with this kind of wait, and I'd prefer we set some hard rules about what's expected of us early on before anything happens, and I like what PsychoAngel did when he uploaded his save so no work goes to waste. But after all, it's only been four days. 

Anyone else's thoughts?

Hehe, sorry mate888, fixed the OP.
Thanks for your post SkaiaMechanic. I think it's a good point you make and it's something I've been thinking about as well.
Yea, I'm really not certain what is the best solution. On one hand I feel responsible towards the players who signed up later in the list, on the other hand I think it makes for some really good posts that our players take longer than one week. In some ways it may even be neccessary if we really want to have some good stuff happening here.

I am in fact inclined towards accepting your proposal of 15 days. Shall we make it an even two weeks?
I'll just make a poll really quick and let it be up to you all to decide.

I agree with Skaiamechanic that we should just have our players upload the save after the alotted time has passed or one year of in game time. Any objections? I'll update rules whenever there are substantial results in the poll.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:19:31 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2015, 03:34:48 pm »

WHO VOTED THREE WEEKS YOU TIME HOG I WILL FIND YOU AND PILLAGE YOUR uh PLACE OF RESIDENCE

jk

I have voted. I am also anxiously awaiting the next installment of mate 888's great fate!

School starts for me this next week, and I have a busy quarter. I will, of course, drop all responsibilities just to finish up my turn.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2015, 04:00:43 pm »

Yes, I voted for two weeks as well... delighted to get a little bit more than a week, since the next month or so at work is the close of the fiscal year and, well, yeah.

I am so completely looking forward to my turn and seeing what I can salvage from this hellish shitscape can do to add to the !!FUN!!.  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2015, 05:15:24 pm »

WHO VOTED THREE WEEKS YOU TIME HOG I WILL FIND YOU AND PILLAGE YOUR uh PLACE OF RESIDENCE

jk

I have voted. I am also anxiously awaiting the next installment of mate 888's great fate!

School starts for me this next week, and I have a busy quarter. I will, of course, drop all responsibilities just to finish up my turn.
It was a misclick. Please don't kill!
Hello friends, good to see some activity here.
Damn, you wrote A LOT mate888 I look forward to actually reading it all still :D.

• mate888
  • Salmeuk
*gasp* Lies!

Indeed.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Hehe, sorry mate888, fixed the OP.
Thanks for your post SkaiaMechanic. I think it's a good point you make and it's something I've been thinking about as well.
Yea, I'm really not certain what is the best solution. On one hand I feel responsible towards the players who signed up later in the list, on the other hand I think it makes for some really good posts that our players take longer than one week. In some ways it may even be neccessary if we really want to have some good stuff happening here.

I am in fact inclined towards accepting your proposal of 15 days. Shall we make it an even two weeks?
I'll just make a poll really quick and let it be up to you all to decide.

I agree with Skaiamechanic that we should just have our players upload the save after the alotted time has passed or one year of in game time. Any objections? I'll update rules whenever there are substantial results in the poll.
I think two weeks would be the perfect time for everyone, maybe three weeks in special situations (holidays, etc).
But well, let's continue the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------

21 of Slate, 1056
The trees in our courtyard are being killed. I don't actually dislike trees, but this way the elves will be upset, and we could find a use for this wood.

24 of Slate
I think that some kind of attachment to your working tool or weapon is not bad, even good in times like this, but Amost is talking to "Steely" like if it was a friend. Weird.
It wasn't even used to kill an elf but OK, fair enough.

28 of Slate
I can kill the vampire right now. But then, the elves would not be murdered accordingly.
If I can find a way to lure Ost to the bridge, draw it and make him fall 8 vertical Urist levels into the brook, would that be enough to kill him, or at least permanently cripple him?
I think we should do that after the elvish siege, but I don't know when will they come, nor if they will even wound the demon.
The way he killed that elven trader... He didn't even let her scream. If I make him fall, he may not die, but if he's wounded during the siege, the elves may end him, making harder for us to take that half of the fort, as for that we would have to kill whoever is left in the fort. We will wait, no matter how long it takes.

1st of Felsite
A whole month has passed, and I would swear that the elves would have come by now. I don't know if I sould send a group of suicidal idiots brave explorers to scout the terrain for possible elven menaces, or if I should send Osp.
Oh Armok dammit. I should have known.
The traders were just bait.
They knew that we would attack them, and Romimi was ordered to stay outside, not knowing that their elvish overlords had alredy made dealings with Osp. He would kill her, making us think that he is also an enemy of the elves, and then, when the elves get lured into his half of the fort, he would tell them where to enter to.
We have to kill him now, or at least wound him, if he manages to get back to his half of the fort, we will lure him outside, so he will be the one to recieve the ambush. The elves will attack him before they notice who he is. And only one of them will survive. If its Osp, we will wait until another "accident" befalls on him. We will not risk the fort.
No, shit! Cancel all orders! Close the bridge, lure Osp to some other place!
We have 9 dwarves coming. Let's pray for the bridge to the evil half of the fort to be closed in time.
The poor migrants can't cross the river, I told the dwarves to build a small bridge, but nobody really wants to.
From what I saw, none of them is a vampire. Also, we have a cheesemaker, a peasant, a fish dissector and a thresher. I think we have a scouting force now! Welcome to Doomforests, my glorified meatshields!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To enter the fort, our migrants had to go trought the miasma-infested depot room.
You'll get used to the smell.
Everyone does.
I need a drink.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »

Also, we have a cheesemaker, a peasant, a fish dissector and a thresher. I think we have a scouting force now! Welcome to Doomforests, my glorified meatshields!

Doomforests, where we pit anything against anything else. Nothing, no one, is safe. This deserves a spot on the quote page IMO...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:52 am »

Doomforests, where we pit anything against anything else. Nothing, no one, is safe. This deserves a spot on the quote page IMO...

It is shaping up to be the Arena with personality, yes  :D

BTW, can I get dorfed?  Preferably a gemcutter but any old dorf will do.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:54:34 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 04, 2015, 12:55:44 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic

1st of Felsite

Well, it's official, our overseer is officially insane. Somehow, he got the idea in his head that Doomforests was "cursed" by "an old elf king" and "every living creature" is out to get us for the "removal of trees and mushrooms." I mean, really? Really? Did he hear that dumb rumor or just make it up himself? And now we've basically lost our only safe trading partners. Bah, I'll just try to keep him away from the traders. Speaking of which, I should probably help clean up the Depot the next time I'm there, there's still some elf blood on the walls and I swear I smell some kind of rotting elf part we couldn't find. Oh well. How long could the smell last?

The vampire....now known as his true name Osp, is yelling something about the "doom of the fort" and "revenge" or something. Whatever. Considering the other guests we've had in that side of the fort, Osp is still the most reasonable. Well, other than that goblin locked in the mayor's old room. After a few months, his random babbling and yelling actually become sort of calming walking by the area. It's really odd.

The spirit haunting Taupe had finally been put to rest. Perhaps now the guy can actually get a good night's sleep. It was kind of funny though.

Now that any of our trading partners can be a werecreature, I need to pick up a spare weapon and breastplate from the military bin. I'm not gonna die just because I happen to be the one that needs to hang out at the Depot the longest.

Also, the tension seems to be getting to everyone. I've noticed quite a few dwarves having trouble concentrating on their tasks. Oh well, hopefully it'll come and go with the seasons. 

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 04, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »

Well, it's official, our overseer is officially insane.
u fokken wot m8?!
For plotting aganist me, I degrade you from superminion to regular minion! MWAHAHAHA!

It is shaping up to be the Arena with personality, yes  :D

BTW, can I get dorfed?  Preferably a gemcutter but any old dorf will do.
Sure! I'll try to find a gemcutter, but if I don't the older dwarf we have is a 156-year old thresher that is part of the bait squad scout party.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »

Ahhhhhhh. You got the wrong person. I am the super minion, the leader of the oppressed. Don't demote me!

Also, if you want to impress the elves, build them a shrine out of wooden logs. I am sure they would find it charming.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 144