Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 431410 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: The Killing of Doomforests Vampire Lord - No military? No problem!
« Reply #420 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:06 pm »

Ptw this!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 08, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »

Well, it looks like the fortress is finally settling down. Do more crazy stuff, like weaponizing everything, I am sure that you have a plan. Who knows, now that we have reunited the Main Fortress, all that nice equipment for the militia (if the militia ever had good stuff) is available. Who knows, maybe you could get a Real Militia started.

I have tossed out the chalange. I now await Karma.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »

Yeah, you did great job continuing on the Taupe's struggle to save the fortress, and giving us a base for our writing. Almost everyone (if not all of us) have mentioned the decision you've made at least once in our journals. You've also brought us the east part back. I hope that you'll finish your turn, it was amazing work!
Seconded. In fact, I think you have quite a few days left, so there's no rush for you to finish. I certainly think it would be worth it to see you take your time and keep up your current style.
Actually is because I have to go to the beach with the family for the weekend, but there was a lack of organization and everyone is yelling at eachother, so I may not stop until the 13, or I might give you the save after Osp has been succsessfully murderized.

Well, it looks like the fortress is finally settling down. Do more crazy stuff, like weaponizing everything, I am sure that you have a plan. Who knows, now that we have reunited the Main Fortress, all that nice equipment for the militia (if the militia ever had good stuff) is available. Who knows, maybe you could get a Real Militia started.

I have tossed out the chalange. I now await Karma.

I actually alredy have two real militias started (the scouting party is quite elite and a great marksdwarf joined the Kinethic Swans).
I also have a plan for killing Osp and in the last crash everything went terribly bad so the crash was actually a good thing. So don't worry. It was inevitable.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fall of East Doomforests - East and West reunited at last :')
« Reply #423 on: January 08, 2015, 07:05:04 pm »

- You realize that most of your ancestors would have had to have children before the age of 2, right?
I always tought that the years in DF were counted since the beginning of written history. Is not like dwarves are going to spawn out of nowhere and start building castles in the first year of their existence.
And about the military, we have something more... Imposing than before. Dark One's dwarf finished building the magma forge and now I'm starting to smelt spears and swords, and the scouting party who started being a suicidal group of highly dispensable dwarves is starting to be more of an elite army.

I believe that is actually the case. Post land generation, the gods create dwarfs and elfs and humans and give them the knowledge needed to build fortresses, tree villages and castles respectively. It's a very high-fantasy concept that is contradicted by the mundane violence that occurs post-creation.

I still think you should stick by your name, however. Perhaps your ancestors weren't very good at maths? Or birth control, for that matter.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:10 pm »

Journal of Mate the 888th, Overseer
13 of Galena
The channeling operations have started. But I am uncertain wether they'll work or not. Maybe I should have told them to channel a smaller area? I don't even know anymore.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nothing happened. I should have narrowed the channeling area.
Channeling attempt 2.0, start! Trust me, I have a plan, we will be able to finally settle down.
Meanwhile, I'll order to smelt some iron to make some more weapons. As we alredy something that can be called a real military now, we may aswell equip them.

------------------------------------------------------------

The last tile is to be dug. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
"Don't! My minions are running towards you! You will be murdered!"
"Then let them remember that Mate the 888th"
"And Kosoth!"
"Yeah, and Kosoth too"
"And Udib!"
"Ugh, sure! All of you! That the miners killed the vampire!"
"But you are actually a miner/hammerer"
"Shut up, Kosoth! WHat were we doing?"
"Freeing Osp?"
"Nice try, Osp."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
The cultists stopped when the rock fell over them. They looked shocked, like if they woke up after a nightmare. Then they started cheering.
"Miners! Miners! Miners!"
We did it. We saved the fort.
"We did it, Kosoth! We are hero--
Oh. Well... Oops.
Send flowers to the widow. But also, before dying, Osp yelled his real name.
That may help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

25 of Galena
I've started planning a jails level. In any fort there may be illegal stuff happening, and with me as the only hammerer around stuff is not going to be solved. Thus, I planned this jail system as far from civilization as I could find.

26 of Galena
Well, Iamblichos' spirit rose up from Sakzul and is haunting his relatives. Did I ever mentioned that he was an asshole?
What an arse.

Heh. Suck it, batman!

1 of Hemetite
Well, now the dwarven caravan will come, we will recieve news from the outside and I might consider retiring. My job is mostly done, I killed Osp, I reunited the fort, I think I deserve some long, long holidays.
Damn, that fisherman is going to kill himself of we don't do nothing...

3 of Hemetite
I hate everything.
Run, duck, RUN!
Oh, gods. I've never seen a faster duck in all my years.

((OOC: I think that I will actually be able to complete my turn, or at least reach the last day. i'll be inactive saturday and sunday, tho.))
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2015, 09:05:48 pm »

Meanwhile, I'll order to smelt some iron to make some more weapons. As we alredy something that can be called a real military now, we may aswell equip them.

3 of Hemetite
I hate everything.
Karma. Right here, right now. You mentioned that the militia was well prepared, and the fun started. Don't you wish you had a badass vampire lord now?
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 08, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »

3 of Hemetite
I hate everything.
Karma. Right here, right now. You mentioned that the militia was well prepared, and the fun started. Don't you wish you had a badass vampire lord now?
Nah, I have two briges and two walls. I'm okay. No casualties but a duck and maybe the grazers.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 08, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »

Just take your two days off, this year is going swimmingly. Be ready for ten thousand journals when you return, tho.

PS: Yeah, you wanted the channeling to coincide with the dorm's walls, the initial channeling was too large, the walls ended up supporting the earth chunk ;)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2015, 04:54:14 am »

Yeah, you did great job continuing on the Taupe's struggle to save the fortress, and giving us a base for our writing. Almost everyone (if not all of us) have mentioned the decision you've made at least once in our journals. You've also brought us the east part back. I hope that you'll finish your turn, it was amazing work!
Seconded. In fact, I think you have quite a few days left, so there's no rush for you to finish. I certainly think it would be worth it to see you take your time and keep up your current style.
Actually is because I have to go to the beach with the family for the weekend, but there was a lack of organization and everyone is yelling at eachother, so I may not stop until the 13, or I might give you the save after Osp has been succsessfully murderized.

You may remember that earlier in the thread there seemed to be good agreement, that under special circumstances we can let people take just a few days more if they need it to complete the turn. Your turn is definitely one of the more well written ones, and I don't think anyone would mind it terribly if you took the weekend off with your family and then spent the next one or two days finishing up in your own pace.
I think you've earned it with all of the effort you've put into making this a very interesting year indeed ;).

(In my own opinion, the most important reason why we have a time limit is that we don't want the fort to stagnate. Right now the thread is growing with maybe one page pr. day. It is definitely NOT stagnating in my opinion. Of course, we still have to respect the wish of future players to get their turn on time though...)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:58:06 am by Drokles »
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:38 am »

Im cool with waiting more.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

Im cool with waiting more.

Me too.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:40 am »

Journal of Iamblichos
7 Galena

My plans are proceeding, despite the unceasing opposition of Osp and his minions.  Many times I have gone back to check my calculations and discovered that my mind had been clouded and meddled with when I was working - obvious errors, transpositions, and the like.  Only two things save me; first, Osp knows nothing of stones or their powers.  Substituting crystal opal for pyrite indeed!  Second, Osp has many calls on his attention; though he is powerful, he can only pay attention to one thing at once, and he has many plans in motion.  He cannot devote much time to thwarting my progress, though he knows enough to fear my goals.

I was utterly unsurprised to discover that Dark One was the leader of the Osp cult; his will seems to have been completely subverted by his dark master.  The young dwarves pray and shout at Dark One's bidding as the 'bishop' of this new supposed 'faith', working themselves into a quasi-religious frenzy; how they imagine the vampire will ever consider them as anything other than cattle to be eaten is a mystery to me.  Osp seems much stronger than a typical bloodsucker; they are often sad, feeble things, but he is a being of true potency.  Either his advanced age or the deity who cursed him have given him great power.  I wonder which...

In better news, I was able to find a supply of dwarven bone in one of the corpse piles that litter this place; who would ever imagine a fort where so few people are decently buried?  The trumpet has been made.  The skin was damaged by frost somehow, but nevertheless serviceable; only the drumstock remains.  Wood is much scarcer here than bone, especially a wood as obscure as nether-cap.  Osp's evil serpent continues to block access to the deeps where such things grow, as well as the emerald I suspect is the key to this particular conundrum.  The hunt continues.

11 Galena

Astonishing.  Dark One seems to have turned against his erstwhile master.  Either that or the reports of his "possession by an unknown god" are true - that would definitely throw sand into my mechanisms here.  The dining hall is abuzz with plans to crush Osp beneath falling stone, one of the few safe ways to dispose of such a mighty being.  He cannot influence that many minds at once; it must be maddening for one so powerful to face destruction at the hand of so many weak foes, like an elephant pulled down by mice.

Taupe has taken steps after the blatant penetration of his office; he spends much of his time closeted with Skaiamechanic, and his vast collection of books has vanished.  A miner and a mechanic working together could easily devise a secret room; since Osp seems to be facing difficulties already, I have refrained from revealing myself to the doctor, though I have not ruled it out.

There is no nether-cap to be found.  The ritual was very specific; I must research a substitution, but have little hope.

13 Galena

I underestimated the vampire... or whatever Osp truly is.  The others think him dead, but I know better.  My earlier suspicions have proven well-founded beyond my imaginings.  No vampire could do what he has done.

He played his role well to the end, screaming and bellowing melodramatically until the falling stone crushed him.  Rising from the wreckage came a ghost, and everyone gasped and drew back.  It was the ghost... of Iamblichos the gemcutter.  The dwarves who had been baying for blood but a moment before drew back, terrified.  Since I *am* the ghost of Iamblichos the gemcutter, however, I felt no fear - this was clearly some ruse.  I laughed at the spirit, forgetting how this must appear to others who didn't know how preposterous this charade was.  At that the "ghost's" face looked directly at me and changed to the face of Osp.  "I have a gift for you", it whispered, and then turned and fled... just as the most impressionable young dwarf, the one most under Osp's control before, shouted "Stazul for mayor!  She is unafraid in danger!  I want Stazul!"  Stunned, I just stood there, but the election carried.

Whatever "Osp" was, it is now free of the body that contained it.  Somewhere in the deeps of this fortress, the evil festers, unknown and unwatched.  He has won a major battle; I am immobilized as mayor.  With every eye on me, I cannot work; with all these responsibilities, finding time for my own projects will be nigh impossible.  As mayor, I can initiate projects to inconvenience him, though, like the slaughter of that wretched snake that haunts the deep mines.  Perhaps I can find benefits in this, but it is a massive inconvenience to one who prefers to be in the shadows.

Well-played, spirit; I must plan my next move.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:15:18 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

You are all awesome.
Also, Iamblichos' (or Osp's) ghost is being memoralized, so I guess whatever Osp tries to do next will be with the problem of leaving the corporeal plane forever. Until he is released from his adanantine prision on the bowels of the earth, were the souls of the damned go...

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2015, 04:51:55 pm »

Oh, by the way, guys.

I might want to come back for a second turn. Psycho II is going to have a different focus for his reign, but it will still be quite the show, should the fort survive 'till his arrival.

Anyway, things are very, very nice right now. Can't see how you guys could've made this story any better.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 09, 2015, 11:36:08 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic
17 Galena

Osp is dead.

It actually happened a few days ago, but I've been so busy since I haven't had time to even write down that significant event. Brought down a few tons of solid rock on him. However strong he may be, even gods and demons can be brought down by the Body of Armok. We may close this chapter of the fortress.

Pity, I had hoped to eventually weaponize him, as well as ask him a few...historical questions. As a Dwarf he could be reasoned with, and his combat skill was second to none. But I must confess now he may have been too powerful for that, and my attempt would only invite disaster. Osp's mind controlled Dwarves might have even staged a coup before the end of the year. Doomforests under the management of a Vampire Lord...I can hardly imagine what that might be like.

It's matters little. The planning for the TSP is still ongoing. The amount of mechanisms required is simply astonishing. Yet another reason I can't do this project until I become Overseer. If I were to share my plan, I'm sure it would be implemented immediately. But it wouldn't be done right, to the full extent that's required. It's based around a fairly basic Dwarven Mechanical concept, but taken to a ridiculous degree. It wouldn't work in most fortresses nowadays. It's only Doomforests' specific structure that allows my plan to truly shine.

No, I must not write more, just on the idea that someone may be reading these. Note to self, during your next day off, build a better lock for my office and bedroom.

However, it seems I am still years away from that goal. You'd think the best trader in the fortress would be better at politics. But no, several stand in the way of my progression. The mayor? The mayor is a figurehead, keeping the population docile by showing that their wishes make a difference. Oh, they can demand this and that, but they're nothing in comparison to the power of an overseer. Several have already realized this when coming here, taking the names of overseers past to leech off their ancestor's respect. It's a good move, honestly, and I'm sad I didn't think of it sooner. They've prepared themselves for the role since their arrival. Oh well, can't change my name now.

Speaking of locks and books though, Taupe's personal library is safe in it's new location. Not that anyone could get to it even if they knew where it was. It's wasn't an issue. I mean, I'm proud of my design but Taupe's the one who did all of the digging. He's a good friend, and he's taught me much. But most importantly, I might need to call in a few favors of my own in the future. All we have to do is not die terribly! Simple!

Other than Taupe, I can rely on Max the Minion. He's...a bit straightforward, but produces solid enough results. I've burned my bridge with Mr888, who shockingly enough proved himself worthy of the title Overseer by now, and Iamblichos and Dark One seem to have their own plans. I should keep note of them though, they might be useful if our goals overlap in any way. I'm friendly with Salmuek and Drokles, but I could get to know them a little more. Same with Senshuken, especially now that we have an actual military.

Time to sit back and have a good swig of ale for a bit. Until the next goblin siege or Forgotten Beast or something, of course.

I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 144