Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432223 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - now without spoilers
« Reply #465 on: January 14, 2015, 08:55:05 am »

Hey, what about me?  I'm 6 turns/years away from even beginning.  That's Legendary Wishing.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 14, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »

Journal of Mate the 888th, Overseer of Doomforests
18th of Limestone
Iamblichos' ghost is haunting his wife (did I ever mentioned that he was an arse?) while she digs out the new jails. Good, something to stop our progress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The jails are finally finished, Iamblichos has been memoralized and the goblins still have no clue on how to enter the fortress.
I think I need some long holidays for now.
These are the new jails. For I as the only hammerer am not enough to control the people who disobey the law.

26th of Limestone
The goblins found the back entrance to the fort...
...aaaaaaaaaand decided to ignore it. Not like they were going to jump over the gap and to a fortified wall I built on the other side to avoid arrow-releted incidents. So, now that the goblins are unable to access te fort and are on the exact opposite side of from were the traders will come from. So I can feel safe on that aspect.
Also, I may actually try to dig a hospital for future wounded.

27th of Limestone
The goblins finally found and killed the duck. His sacrifice will never be forgotten.

1st of Sandstone
I ordered the hospital dug in Astville for easy access to water.

4th of Sandstone
A smooth growl comes from the deep, the trolls of the goblin army seem agitated by the noise, and the army starts retreating. When the dwarves trart cheering, a miner comes from Astville, screaming.
Good, what we needed. Another flying snail from hell. I like his name, tho. I hope he does not burn trought the door that superminion did. If it doesn't, I'll promote him to ultraminion. If it does not I'll see if the leech's fire doesn't burn trought him.
Also, the gobbos met the dingo men, that 'll distract them from breaking the bridge.
A troll is somehow terrified at the massacre his bosses are commiting aganist the dingo men and women.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

7th of Sandstone
I found this while exploring the lower plants of the eastern fort.
How do you kill someone with a llama wool cloak?! Even if you are a strong troll, it's llama wool! (Also, I think the one that is memoralized there is Geshud, but with her real vampire name).

24th of Sandstone
Hm, now that we don't have anything to worry too much about, I think I could actually start a second project, one that I like to call "The Project Whose Final Goal Is To Use Smuntsu's Office As An Execution Chamber Consisting On Dumping Undesirables Onto His Room For Him To Eat". But it can be abbreviated as "TPWFGITUSOAAECCODUOHRFHTE". I think that it's practical.
The door on Smuntsu's office is forbidden, locking him in one side, and the channeling begins.

28th of Sandstone
Some trolls found the main entrance to the fort and they started running into the cage traps.

1st of Timber
Welp, let's see what he does.
Wait, while Senshuken II is searching for bones in the refuse pile, I took a look at the outside.
Fuck.
Unless they leave before the traders come or they are heavily guarded, we are sealed from the outside. We'll have to stay under siege for a long time, totally sealed from the outside, without knowing what happens with our kingdom, until we starve or the greenskins inevitably manage to break into the fort...
Or we can fight.
I must admit that this is a tough one.
Never! Dwarvish civilizations only fall by their inhabitants' stupidity, not by the... Plannings and... Strategies of the enemies!
Doomforests shall not fall! And if it falls, it'll take whatever made it fall with it! Glory to the Hall of Mortality!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 14, 2015, 11:04:23 pm »

How do you kill someone with a llama wool cloak?!

Oh yes. This is by far my favorite slab. did I not screenshot it? I swear I did. :P

You should wait for the dwarven traders to arrive with their guards and war animals, and make your stand at this moment, flanking the enemy. trust the doctor, I know a thing or two about letting people duke it out for us. Those are dwarves tho, so they deserve our help.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:05:55 pm by Taupe »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 15, 2015, 08:53:40 am »

I wonder what Senshuken is currently making? Frankly, he has to do something while the enemies of our dwarfs are sitting around on the front lawn. Not like we'll be fighting them anytime soon...
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

I wonder what Senshuken is currently making? Frankly, he has to do something while the enemies of our dwarfs are sitting around on the front lawn. Not like we'll be fighting them anytime soon...
Yeah, is not like the militia commander is gonna fight, let him go search for bones in the corpse stockpile that's composed mostly of dead dwarves, goblins and other sentients. I'm sure nothing suspicious is going on. *grabs garlic and a cross*
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 15, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »

Hahaha, one trip to the bonepile and you grab garlic and a cross, but my dwarf starts making trumpets from dwarf thighbones and drum heads out of dwarf skin and it's business as usual   ;D

Glad to see we are through Autumn... one season to go!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:06 pm »

...doing okay Mate? You're at your deadline and you have 4 months to go. Sorry to be a jerk about this, I just don't want Salmeuk to have to skip.

I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:23 pm »

Yeah, is not like the militia commander is gonna fight

It's funny because unless you changed it, the millitary commander is actually Drokles.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:05 pm »

Yeah, is not like the militia commander is gonna fight

It's funny because unless you changed it, the millitary commander is actually Drokles.
Maybe I accidentaly made him the commander of the Wishy Washy Banjos.

...doing okay Mate? You're at your deadline and you have 4 months to go. Sorry to be a jerk about this, I just don't want Salmeuk to have to skip.
I'll post the save, but I don't know how. If someone explains me, tomorrow Mate the 888th will have retired and the save will be posted for Salemuk to play.

Journal of Mate the 888th, Overseer of Doomforests
7th of Timber
The trolls climbed the hills and jumped down on the courtyard. The bridges are closed so the rest of the fort is safe, but all of our pets are dead.
Trolls can't break bridges, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

10th of Timber
I'm starting to worry. It's alredy the last month of autmun, and dwarven caravans only go to the frontiers in autmun. Maybe the unhappy diplomat Taupe spoke about and the angry human traders convinced the Mountainhome of not trading with us ever again. Gods forbid that to happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

18th of Timber
We opened the courtyard brigde and all of the trolls ran out, they were getting bored after 8 days inside a courtyard full of dead things.
Two stood on the bridge. They didn't wanted to walk over the cage traps, so they stood on the bridge when it closed and they flew away. One fell with minor bruises on the arm, the other fell wrongly and destroyed his left hand and his neck, filling the floor with his light blue blood.
I... Think we can count that as a kill?
Yeah! Doomforests 2, Goblins, 0!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 15, 2015, 11:38:52 pm »

Just go to your folder. Dwarf fortress--Data--Save. Wrap the whole region folder with like winzip or winrar, and upload this. Use the same site you got the game from. Just click any previous save in this thread, and lick the upload button from the page. The est should be pretty explanatory.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:45 am »

What version have you been using, mateeighteighteight? For my own understanding, of course.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:46 am »

I believe the LNP and all the goodies packed with it is now updated to 40.23. If that's the case, it would be afe to switch up versions up to there. Probably better for everyone if we stick with this one for a while, instead of going up to 40.24

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 16, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »

I'm starting to see that this thing of fort maagement is the most stressing thing in the world. I would have liked to reach the end of the year, but I guess that Timber is the last month of ruling for me.
I'm not an old dwarf either, I'm only 70 years old, but I'm starting to feel as if I was 200 At least, I during my rule I reunited the fort, killed a vampire, totally ignored two forgotten beasts, one of wich is dead. I defended the fort and... All of its non-grazing, non-duck pets from the greenskins and I sent two trolls several urists on the air using a drawbridge.
Overall, it was a good year. Well, a good year in frontier outpost measures, with only two victims. One of them for the greater good. The other because he was feeling sleepy close to a vampire.
But, oh, well. I only have one final petition to whomever will watch over the fort after me:
Finish the project of weaponizing Smuntsu.
Yes, even though I made the jails and a big hospital on Astville (and a rather pretty statue garden), some dwarves may turn out to be... Rather annoying without breaking the law, and abusing of the fort taking advantages of the law. And even though we all know and love Smuntsu, he is a goblin, and he will attack any dwarf who enters his office. So, please, use the unused lever on the lever room (or a lever of the gold room) and connect it to a floor grate, the one over Smuntsu's office (You can't miss it, it's an artifact floor grate and it's the only floor grate in the fort). Then make a burrow comprising of only that grate and assign whoever arse is asking to have an accident to it. Then link it to a civilian alert, make him go to the grate, pull the lever and watch the goblin eat!
Well, that's all I've got for now, I'll retire from my job as an overseer and I'll dedicate myself to mining, masonery and hammering. Good luck to whoever idiot replaces me, and may Armok have mercy for all of us.
Spoiler: OOC notes (click to show/hide)
Save: Here
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:38:42 pm by mate888 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 17, 2015, 12:42:38 pm »

thanks, mate! I'll be starting my playthrough on monday. work takes up my weekends.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 17, 2015, 09:17:42 pm »

Wait there are hotkeys in this game ?!?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 144