Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426764 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - now without spoilers
« Reply #480 on: January 17, 2015, 09:50:49 pm »

Wait there are hotkeys in this game ?!?
f1, f2, f3, etc.
You choose key places of the fort, and by pressing the designated hotkey for that place you zoom to it.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2015, 02:34:16 am »

Hey folks. Just a premature warning. I find that I have less and less time to browse the forums, and it looks like it will only continue  like this. I'm not saying it will be necessary, but if anyone wants to take over the front page, now might be a good time to start thinking about that. Please let me know if you're interested ;).
To be honest, when the 7 founders arrived at Doomforests I never imagined that I would end up spending so much time here. But now it's full of activity and has gained a small following which probably wont cease anytime soon. I think it would be good at this point to have some fresh ideas for the front page from someone more active than me.
Your thoughts?
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 18, 2015, 06:39:12 pm »

Have any of you ever read The Book of Soapus

In reading about the soap cultists, it brought this holy tome to mind.  If you ever perchance meet Walrus Bob in some forum or other, you can thank him for creating Twilight the God Game back in '96 which generated such an interesting religion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:46:32 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 18, 2015, 10:48:52 pm »

Guys, I just want to say that running the fort was one of the most intense, frustrating, and overall greatest experiences I have had on gaming. So, even though I doubt that the fort (and any possible reclaims) will last too long, but I'd like to have my name somewhere in the list again.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 18, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »

Wait, is it even possible to take over the original post?

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 19, 2015, 01:25:06 am »

Only thing I can suggest is a generic title with proper title capitalization.

So like, "Doomforests: This Fort Should Not Be Standing"
Or maybe "Doomforests: Where Our Greatest Weapon is our Enemies."
Or perhaps "Doomforests: We're Pretty Sure We're Back to Playing Dwarf Fortress"
Or "Doomforests: Where the Goblin is Everyone's Friend"

I dunno, something curious enough to bring people in, vague enough that there's no spoilers, and professional enough that you could put it as a title to an essay for school or work. If anyone has a better idea please share.

..."Doomforests: Where the Game Gives Up and Starts Doing Its Own Thing"
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 19, 2015, 01:30:30 am »

I think ''Enemies are our greatest assets!'' would suit the bill nicely.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 19, 2015, 01:52:57 am »

I don't really know if it's doable, but we'll just  ask a mod to do so.
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 19, 2015, 03:05:12 am »

I have begun playing, despite needing sleep desperately. After removing nearly every stockpile in the fortress, I've rounded up nearly every dwarf. Things are about to happen - drastic, necessary things.

And drokles, I'm not sure how I would take over the OP but I would be willing to do it. As interest in this fortress has not yet waned I wouldn't mind taking the helm. PM me if you have thoughts.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 19, 2015, 06:51:26 pm »

I have spent all day waiting for an update, and have gotten really pumped up about it. I am expecting great and terrible things from you. No pressure, though.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 19, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »

I have spent all day waiting for an update, and have gotten really pumped up about it. I am expecting great and terrible things from you. No pressure, though.

^This.  Yes.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 19, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »

Hey folks. Just a premature warning. I find that I have less and less time to browse the forums, and it looks like it will only continue  like this. I'm not saying it will be necessary, but if anyone wants to take over the front page, now might be a good time to start thinking about that. Please let me know if you're interested ;).
To be honest, when the 7 founders arrived at Doomforests I never imagined that I would end up spending so much time here. But now it's full of activity and has gained a small following which probably wont cease anytime soon. I think it would be good at this point to have some fresh ideas for the front page from someone more active than me.
Your thoughts?

Make Salmeuk do it: He is the 2nd post in the thread, just ctrl-c ctrl-v.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 19, 2015, 08:11:50 pm »

the pressure amounts! And I suppose I could just edit my second post, in fact that might work splendidly.

And give me some time, I discovered at the last minute an assignment due 11 minutes ago so I have a bit of IRL to take care of. Tonight, though.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:41 pm »

Yeah, take care of that first. Come back after you finish the assignment and send it to your past self so you can turn it in on time.

Looking forward to it!
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 19, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »

Fath Clobberedhammer was one of the lucky few dwarfs not particularly affected by the regular visits of Death and his brother Destruction to Doomforests. She immigrated some time after the first great depopulation and founding of Astville, and because of this she felt comfortable amongst the bloodied halls. Fath was an accomplished, even legendary miner - her skills with the pick were the best for leagues. Her preferences were that of a dwarf who had once lived by the ocean: she liked to eat ocean sunfish and cuttlefish soup.

She was married to one Udib Inkylords, another miner. Their only child had stayed at the mountainhome, and when asked why she would leave her offspring behind it becomes clear it wasn't Fath's decision: forced immigration to Doomforests wasn't applied to children. A sad story, perhaps, but as Fath toiled away constructing aimless passages and endless tombs she was secure in the knowledge that her child was safe. So when a powerful, commanding spirit took over Fath's body and soul perhaps she wasn't entirely unwilling. The spirit, having long awaited this opportunity, utterly replaced Fath's individual presence.

What did this spirit call itself?

Salmeuk.

What did this spirit want?

Power.

How did this spirit plan to get it?

By the first skill any dwarf learns: digging.

What follows is a third-hand account from an unknown dwarf's personal journal, recovered at a later date by the famous historian and tomb-raider Cog Blackpick. Perhaps you could take a moment and join me in appreciating the gory history of Salmeuk's second reign, 1056 - 1057.

8th Moonstone

Senshuken, previous possessed by an ethereal urge to craft, completed his work today: a giant olm bone crown. It is worth a fairly surprising amount (49200 urists!), apparently Senshuken had swiped some gold from the foundries and the resulting studs boosted the value.

10th Moonstone
Minkot Beachbook stopped talking today.

Not that he ever really talked, but he's really shut himself away this time: his eyes are glazed and he wont take food. While certainly not a good thing, losing an unskilled woodcrafter certainly doesn't change much about the current state of the fortress. Perhaps I should remind the masons to keep churning out those coffins.

11th Moonstone
I ran in to Fath today, our best Miner. Having watched her mine before I can attest to her legendary renown: she knows just the way to hit the rock to flake it away in huge chunks. Even gabbro! It's like watching a brewer mash plump helmets, the way she goes about crumbling rock. With fire in her eyes, she said she was headed to the office of Mate888, our current overseer, and walked away rather urgently after that. Perhaps the discovery of a new cavern?

13th Moonstone
The rumors were true: we have a new overseer. Fath Clobberedhammer was chosen by Mate888 as the new dwarf in charge of job oversight and project management. She called us all down to the dining room to discuss, in her words, "The dire state of Doomforests and what the future may hold."

Sitting amongst my fellow workers was quite the experience - never had we all taken the time to meet together like this. All 41 of us, not including the two children, crowded amongst the piles of clothing. We made the grand room feel awfully small.

Fath outlined certain problems with the fort. Most agreed with what she outlined:

1. Too many dwarves are assigned too many tasks, leading to a lack of specialization.

2. The jobs being given priority are non-essential to the future survival of the fortress. Engraving stone storage rooms should be secondary to, well, just about everything else.

3. The amount of useless materials and items is enormous, to the point that it gets in the way of basic fortress function.

Fath made it clear this wasn't our fault but that of the previous overseers. Even then, she said that the sort of "beasts and plagues" they had to deal with made such disorganization inevitable. She then opened the discussion.

"What are we to do? In our current state progress is impossible, and while we might scrape by eating mashed plump helmets, that is not what the founding Seven imagined. This land is as rich as ever, and our bodies young. No more excuses can be made. . . What Are We To Do?"

I won't write out the hours of discussion that took place that night, but our ultimate conclusion was this: we had to move on. Leave behind that which confounded our forefathers and strike fresh earth. The stink would never be scrubbed from these halls, so why even try when fresh stone awaits?

After the meeting, excitement filled the fortress. Fath, along with a few previous overseers and masons, had met to plan our new fortress. The rest of us could only wait and dream of what was to come.

OOC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:03:06 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 144