Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426851 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - now without spoilers
« Reply #495 on: January 19, 2015, 11:15:10 pm »

Also, I am taking suggestions for what sorts of things we might need in a new fortress. As in, what areas you guys might want excavated for future use. Fath took suggestions from the past overseers, and I want to see some of the things they might have said!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 19, 2015, 11:17:24 pm »

Wait are we actually building a brand new fortress somewhere else?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 19, 2015, 11:19:22 pm »

No, just within the same map.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:02 pm »

Whatever you build, have 4 things:
1: a floor for bedrooms.
2: a floor for workshops.
3: a floor for tombs (Note, this is probably the most important of the 4).
4: kitchens and still near dinning hall..
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 19, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »

We'll need a decent hospital with access to a well, as well as a tower overseeing the site, where we can train the soldiers without causing sun sickness.

I would also suggest that you seal off the caverns and defend this new fort with the door Minion made.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 20, 2015, 12:06:35 am »

*Chief Minion is a title: Maxcat is the dorf's name.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fate of Doomforests - A New Goal
« Reply #501 on: January 20, 2015, 01:02:41 am »

And Minion is also a nickname!

It seems a shame to waste all the space already there...
You know, with all of that room already carved out, you could repurpose the old fort into a truly incredible palace. Throw up a few walls, take out some stockpiles, put in a golden cabinet here and there, and you're...well, golden.

Alternatively, expand on Astville, turn it into something amazing with magma and water and history already there. Move most of the population to the depths, while keeping a group of farmers, cooks, and craftmen burrowed up at the top. That way we have crafts right by the current Trade Depot. Now here's the interesting idea. Have the food and furniture dropped down via dumping square and a channeled mineshaft straight down from Old Doomforests into Astville instantly.. It's far faster than a dwarf running all the way down and up those way too narrow staircases. It's efficient and preserves the history of what we have with allowing expansion into the deep and new stories to be told. (Also install a minecart to go back up! )

Either way, we can start putting together a plan that will shock the entire world, goblins, elves, humans, and fellow dwarves alike:

We arrange Doomforests, the cursed southern outpost of terror, to become the new capital of our Dwarven Civilization.

Now how does THAT sound, Overseer?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:05:17 am by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 20, 2015, 01:10:19 am »

I say we HAVE to give it a shot.

Skaia is also right on Astville. If you are to create a new fort, you might as well build it there. We have an easily expandable awesome dinning hall, royal bedrooms for everyone, a well and hospital, and magma forges installed. It would be a waste to flush it all down the drain to dig a third fort.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 20, 2015, 07:10:10 am »

Astville would be cool... I've gotten to the point where most of my cities are built in a cavern layer, usually down near magma.

My only request is... dig some real magma forges, a room with magma channeled under the floor.  Please don't just leave one side open to the magma crabs, fire men, etc.  if there's clay or sand down in the caves nearby, then we have an infinite resource.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 20, 2015, 01:43:44 pm »

update coming later today.

in other news,

HOLY MOTHER OF CRUNDLE

No one informed me the herds ever got this massive. . .

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 20, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »

Oh, yeah, the crundles, I should have warned you about that... I think that they did their part in traumatizing Minkot... Heh.
Also, about the horse convicted of a crime... Yeah... I got bored and told the dwarves that it was the horse the one who... Did something, I guess.
It was a crazy season.
Also:

Journal of Mate the 888th, Hammerer of Doomforests
A new fort? A new fucking fort?! So what, you are going to leave the upper levels to the trolls, forgetting about the outside world, and effectively throwing all my effort in reuniting the fortress to trash?! IS THAT IT?! AFTER ALL WHAT I DID TO REGAIN THE FORT FROM A BLOODSUCKING DEMON, WE WILL JUST ABANDON IT FOR THE GREENSKINS TO TAKE IT?!
I know it may have its own pros, but what? We will be living like deep dwarves not knowing how the sun looks like? Will we just leave our fort to oblivion in effort to rebuild it in the bowels of the mountain?
We will not survive without contact with the exterior, and also that may mean that my pretty statue garden and new jails that I struggled so much to dig will be abandoned! THE PRETTY STATUES!
I think I'll tell this to the new overseer, whose eyes are weirdly glowing with purple light, and her voice sounds weird too. Meh, I'll not look at the minor details, maybe she ingested some bad plump helmets.
I need a good beer and a good crundle steak and I'll feel better.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 20, 2015, 07:58:25 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic
13th Moonstone

When I lived in the Mountainhomes I was always told by my parents, "If you ever want to make Armok laugh, plan for the future."
It's a lesson I've fought against and lost to again and again, and today was no different.

It was a series of events I didn't see coming. We all heard the rumors that our overseer Mate888 was looking at retiring. That I had expected. But to put Fath Clobberedhammer in charge of all people! Don't get me wrong, she's an amazing miner and can certainly brew a good batch of ale, but the transition came out of nowhere. She's had a new fire in her eyes lately, a mood perhaps? What did she say to him to convince Mate to hand over the title?

It wasn't long until Fath called all of us off our working stations and into the dining hall. I've never heard of an overseer call off solid work for a group meeting. But that curiousity paled in comparison to the mountain she then dropped on us.

She wanted to build another fort nearby. I was right, it was a mood, and this would be her creation.

Now, keep in mind that we already had three subtowns in the fortress, namely East and West Doomforests, along with Astville. We had just reclaimed East Doomforests from Osp and work was progressing on a jail and statue garden. Not to mention the recent renovations in Astville. The history, what was fought for, what we can build upon! All for naught. Of course, an immediate uproar came from the crowd, everyone talking at once. Several were for it, wanting to distance themselves from the "curse" and smell of the current fort. Several started planning out how the new fortress was to be designed. After all, almost everyone here knows Doomforests is terribly inefficient from the architecture alone. Several more stepped up in defiance, arguing that we shouldn't abandon what so many had given their lives in creating. Of note, our previous overseer Mate888 was especially livid. It makes his handing over of power all the more curious. Did she claim the Overseer title like a withdrawn dwarf claims a workshop?

Now I could care less about East Doomforests, and the recent renovations were either useless or out of the way, or both! But I knew I had to make a move in order to be considered for Overseer down the line. Working with the new overseer would probably be the best plan to do so. However, the TSP plan, the Total Safety Project, relies on Doomforests' spread out structure as a base. It wouldn't work with one of the more efficient "inverse tower" designs of the modern era. Plus, the history of the place has rubbed off on me, even though I'd still say the staircases should have been expanded years ago.

I took a middle route, not outwardly expressing defiance of the new project, just a couple suggestions to still use the current structure. Fine, make a new town, I don't care. But why are we giving up the grand hallways of current Doomforests? Why should we abandon our hard-earned magma forges? Fath only wanted to talk with the previous overseers and core masons, and not being either, had to speak quickly and make an impact fast. Luckily I had enough influence to gain at least give an opinion before being shooed away. I spoke about the uses of the current land, inventing tales of royal palaces and delivery chutes. It seemed to resonate, but I knew my final statement had to make an impact. So I put forth a goal that no overseer in the history of the fortress had even imagined: make Doomforests the new Capital of our civilization The Town of Stroking.

I could hardly believe it myself, and I'm the one who came up with it! Imagine, the cursed southern exile outpost becoming a new Capital of Dwarves! Everyone was stunned for a moment, but I still didn't know how it went over. Luckily, Taupe spoke up and validated some of my claims. He's a good friend but also has a personal interest in this, for many obvious reasons. A couple other dwarves nodded in agreement. As long as Fath is overseer, as well as head of the miner's guild to boot, I can't stop her from completing her project, (as long as I don't want a berserk failed-mood dwarf slamming her pickaxe into the side of my head anyways)  but I can try to prevent us from starting from scratch.

Fath didn't give a final answer, but I hope for the best. I could probably incorporate the new sub-fort into my project. A community of four towns. What architectural artifact does she hope to create?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:04:33 pm by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:14 am »

Journal of Mate the 888th, Hammerer of Doomforests
How did Fath convinced me of turning herself into the new overseer I don't know.
FLASHBACK!
-Oi, Fath
-Oi, Mate, what are ye doin'?
-I'm planning my retirement.
-Oh, well, that's a damn shame if ya ask me. Who you gunna choose to be after ya?
-I don't know, Fath, I... Is that... Foam... Coming out of your mouth?
-Grrglh... Gurgle... *GASP* Ggggh... *moan*
-Oh, shit. Fath, are you dead?
-I LIVE, AGAIN.
-W... Why do you have a man's voice now, Fath?
-OH. Uh... Probably a rotten plump helmet, just like Sakzul/Iamblichos.
-Hm, yeah. We should take a look at the plump helmets later on.
-Yeah... Uh... Can i be the next overseer?
-Okay.
-Wha? That's it? That easy?
-Yeah, I mean, that's how Taupe named me overseer, aswell. Here, take your purple overseer hat.
-Um... Okay...
-What could possibly go wrong?

FLASHBACK!

Oh... That's how I named her... I should think more of my desicions.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:54 am »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:32 am »

+1 Well Said. I nominate this for a front page quote.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:53:06 am by maxcat61 »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 144