Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426803 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - Where Anything Fights Anything
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2015, 01:29:30 am »

18th Timber
We opened a pathway to the caverns today, and closed it off with the artifact door, previously created by Maxcat.

Much to our surprise, the cavern floor was covered in webs. Up to our hips! The small cave spiders must have been constructing webs for centuries undisturbed. Should we find some extra hands, it would be extremely profitable to collect and sell all these webs. We might not even need to enter the caverns, as the spiders have already managed to slip their way past the door and are layering new webs within our freshly-carved rooms.

25th Timber

One of our miners, when pumping water into the farms, managed to get caught in the backflow and fling himself out into the deep lake that fills the lower cavern. We assumed him dead - for this happened a few weeks ago - but just today he reappeared. He told us a short but disturbing tale. Almost drowning from the shock, Urvad managed to pull himself up and onto the cap of a giant mushroom. He thought himself stuck and lost, until he heard the sounds of a party echoing from the west. He took his pick and dug from pillar to pillar, constructing crude bridges as he went, eventually placing himself next to the sounds. After mining for a time he broke through into our harvest storage room! While he isn't a well known dwarf, people were nevertheless happy to see a member of our community returned safely.

5th Opal
A giant mole snuck past our artifact door today. He isn't much of a threat, in fact I think he is more afraid of us than we are of him!

29th Obsidian
I was walking to my own room when Fath stumbled out of her door and hailed me.

"How long have I been asleep?" She mumbled, apparently disoriented.

"Well, considering I last saw you awake yesterday probably not very long at all?"

As her eyes adjusted, she began to look more and more disturbed.

"Where are we? Who are you? What calendar is it?"

"Uh, well, we're in that new fortress you had us build, and I'm just a mas-"

"Wait, WHAT?!"

And that, my friends, is the story of how an ethereal being abruptly left the mind it had stolen for a year. Fath quickly adjusted back into society, but we were left with one big question: if this new fortress had been the project of a malevolent spirit, does it make any sense to stay put?

Before I forgot, I told the miners to dig a shaft over to the staircase to Astville. Should we need to return, it's as easy as completing the link.

OOC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:32:44 am by Salmeuk »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2015, 02:43:32 am »

Add more PoI's if you wish!

It would be a shame if people couldn't locate the wuvable room at first glance...

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:35 am »

This is a dwarven fortress. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with magma and productivity and is encircled with bands of silver. It menaces with spikes of FPS.
On the item is a picture of Fath Clobberedhammer the dwarf wearing a rutile hat. The dwarf is possessed.
On the item is a picture of dwarves surrounding Salmeuk. The dwarves are rejecting Salmeuk. The artwork relates to the complaining of the construction of a new fortress in the area of Doomforests in 1057.
On the item is a picture of dwarves. The dwarves are surprised. The artwork relates to the discovery of an actual purpose behind the new fortress in Doomforests.
Beware its webs!

Sadly, it was a possession, so no legendary architect. And yes, I am quite surprised the forced move had an actual good reason behind it. Well done!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:17:26 am by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 02, 2015, 08:55:47 am »

At last, I have been chosen to command the fort. While this is an unexpected honor, the fort is on the brink of madness. To make things worse, I have recently received a letter from the Committee of Dieing Horrible Deaths, regarding the lack of Horrible Deaths. Their quota has not been filled, and they are displeased. Most of the dwarves here are unhappy, and under a lot of stress. Moving does that to people. The mayor doesn't have a room, so the dwarves don't know where to go to cry. There is no captain of the guard, and 1/2 of the workforce is idle. There are no barracks for the militia to train. The Magma Forges are open to anything that can swim in magma (Crabs, imps, and other !!fun!! stuff). There is a bridge across the magma pipe that is open to the caverns, and has signs of being attacked by Giant Spiders. No wonder this fort only has 46 dwarves, despite it's age. On the plus side, I don't think that food will ever be an issue, as there are 4277 ursts of food, which is a little more then 90 ursts per dwarf.
I have imminently started digging out quarters for the mayor, and the barracks.

Did you know that we had 6 ghosts? I said had, because I built some slabs, and got rid of them all. We also had no coffins, which is always a bad sign. There appears to be a cave spider lurking somewhere in the fort, because webs just keep on appearing out of nowhere. However, there have been no sightings, and no attacks, so I will let sleeping spiders lie.

3rd Granite
A dwarf made a marble toy axe called Sewerduty. It has some art of some humans killing each other.

15th Granite
Elves came to trade. While bring cages to the depot, a troll escapes. After a brutal 1v1 fight with a nearby swordsdwarf, the troll dies. The swordsdwarf is bruised all over, and had his nose and ear pulped. A few more trolls escape. The militia is crippled by the sun.

My beard sense is acting up. Apparently, Salmeuk III was somehow trapped in the caverns, along with Senshuken II. Despite having a pick, and knowing where the fort was, she just sat there and whined about being hungry. I am digging a tunnel to go save them.
Alas, I dig too late. Salmeuk III dies of starvation when the miner is 3 blocks away from piercing the cavern, along with Senshuken. They die 2 blocks away from each other. I leave their corpses there as a message: don't let dwarves wander the caverns. Why were they there? How did the previous overseer ignore them? These are questions I have no answers for.

While I was having some new workshops placed, and their walls smothed, I took a look at one of the engravers, and started to wonder how she is still alive. Her new nickname is "Frankenstean".

Felsite 2nd: There was great rejoicing.

Felsite 18th
A dwarf is depressed. They all feel like they are under a lot of stress. As such, I am initiating project CHER (Can Happiness Ever Rule?). 20 copper statues are being made in the forges, and a slab memorial has been created. In addition, I am smoothing all the walls, and giving dwarfs individual rooms. However, there are only 44 dwarves, so everything will take time.

End Spring
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:51:11 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »

Nope, ignore this silly double post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:38:06 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2015, 11:37:21 pm »

Journal of Mate the 888th, Hammerer of New Doomforests
HOW DID A GHOST POSSESSING FATH FORCED US TO ABANDON OUR HOMES, OUR HISTORY, MY OUR PRETTY STATUE GARDEN AND EVERYTHING ELSE, AND NOBODY EVER TRIED TO STOP IT?!
AAAAAAAARHG! I would strangle her if she wasn't a woman. I'm a sexy, sexy Latino gentledwarf, I'm never violent towards women. I'll go discharge my utter fury on a crundle or an unjustly condemned prisioner.
A crundle has been found, horribly splatted with a hammer!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:12 pm »

A few more trolls escape. The militia is crippled by the sun.

Hostiles in cages register as pet under the trading section, but are not. If you order one to be moved to the depot, it'll be set free instead of the dwarves carrying the cage. Avoid offering our POWs for trade in the future, people. UNLESS you station the milicia nearby and plan to use this as an easy way to let them free and kill them, that is.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:23 am »

The Magma Forges are open to anything that can swim in magma (Crabs, imps, and other !!fun!! stuff)

No! I built a set of iron bars between the magma pipe and the channels full of magma. I think that they won't melt, and should be able to prevent swimming things from entering.

Uh, I would double check that they haven't melted, though.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:35 am »

Yeah, the bars are there, I just have a phobia of open spaces above magma. It usually leads to !!fun!! in my forts.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 03, 2015, 11:51:14 am »

Just make sure not to spar down there  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2015, 04:33:16 pm »

Okay, so this is my first post here. I would love to be dwarfed and take a turn. There's only a couple problems.

1. I have no idea how to download the save. Once it's on my computer, I can get it into the DF folder just fine, though.
2. I have no idea how to upload the save.
3. I have no idea how to put up images on this forum.

As for my DF skills, I have made three different successful fortresses, two in DF2012 and one in DF2014. I eventually retired due to lag/got bored and genned a different world. I have also successfully failed twice in DF2014, and hesitate to touch an evil biome with a ten-AU pole. Acid rain is a terrifying thing. If I do end up joining this, it will be my first succession fortress.

My computer runs on Windows Vista Business, because I got it as a gift from a friend who got it from one of her friends who got it from her workplace, where they decided to upgrade. Therefore, it can barely run DF. Don't be surprised if I run into problems and have to abstain from playing. That being said, it has run DF before and it will run it again.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:36 pm »

Okay, so this is my first post here. I would love to be dwarfed and take a turn. There's only a couple problems.

1. I have no idea how to download the save. Once it's on my computer, I can get it into the DF folder just fine, though.

As for my DF skills, I have made three different successful fortresses, two in DF2012 and one in DF2014. I eventually retired due to lag/got bored and genned a different world. I have also successfully failed twice in DF2014, and hesitate to touch an evil biome with a ten-AU pole. Acid rain is a terrifying thing. If I do end up joining this, it will be my first succession fortress.

My computer runs on Windows Vista Business, because I got it as a gift from a friend who got it from one of her friends who got it from her workplace, where they decided to upgrade. Therefore, it can barely run DF. Don't be surprised if I run into problems and have to abstain from playing. That being said, it has run DF before and it will run it again.
1- Download it, enter to the DF folder, then into Data, then into the Save folder and put the "region3" folder that is in the Rar you just downloaded into the folder. Then you can play.
2- I knew that one but I kinda forgot :/
3- Press the key that says "IMP PNT" (I guess it'll say that, I have a Latin American keyboard. Then enter to MS Paint and press CTRL + V. The screenshot will appear there. Then save it and upload it to Imgur.
About the first succession fort thing, this was my first too and my first succsessful fort. You'll have a lot of fun.
Enjoy!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 03, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »

1- Download it, enter to the DF folder, then into Data, then into the Save folder and put the "region3" folder that is in the Rar you just downloaded into the folder. Then you can play.
2- I knew that one but I kinda forgot :/
3- Press the key that says "IMP PNT" (I guess it'll say that, I have a Latin American keyboard. Then enter to MS Paint and press CTRL + V. The screenshot will appear there. Then save it and upload it to Imgur.
About the first succession fort thing, this was my first too and my first succsessful fort. You'll have a lot of fun.
Enjoy!

1. I know how to enter it into the DF folder, as I said in my post. I was asking where to download it from and how to download it.
2. Hopefully someone else will respond, too, then.
3. I already know how to take screenshots and upload them to Imgur. I was asking how to take that Imgur upload and put it up on this forum. Is it just standard BB code or something?

Thank you for responding to my post! I kind of half expected everyone to blow off the noob. I appreciate the quick response, even if it didn't really answer my questions.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 03, 2015, 05:24:32 pm »

1. and 2. We can easily upload and download the file through the DFFD, or Dwarf Fortress File Depot, which is located at...

http://dffd.bay12games.com/index.php

The hosting has recently been transferred over to Toady One so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

3. If you have the image uploaded on Imgur, you can just view the image and see a bunch of links on the side of how to link it. Choose the HTML one for forums and copy/paste it right into the text. Imgur also allows you to crop photos so you can focus more on whatever is important on the screen at the time, and make your post easier to read.

Quote Salmeuk's post above for examples of both image placement (though we normally put them in spoilers to save space like maxcat did) and a link to the latest file of Doomforests through DFFD.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:27:24 pm by SkaiaMechanic »
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 03, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »

Hemitite 3rd
SEAL THE GATES.
The bridge is raised with no problems. The only interesting member of the siege is a Troll Swordsman.

A secret, redundant, and pointless digging is going on. Not much else is happening.

Malchite 3rd
Artifact Wooden Casket has been made. I guess that's a sign that a SuperMinion needs a Super Tomb.
I also found these gems of artwork:
So, we are out of seeds, have enough food and booze to last years, have a well, militia is training, and everyone has individual 2x3 rooms. The craftsdwarves are making a ton of crafts.
Autumn has arrived, Summer is over.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:16:18 pm by maxcat61 »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 144