Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432406 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2015, 03:05:23 am »

You know, if Salemuk hadn't (and I assume he did) deleted the burrow called "fort" that I made all this death and misery would not be happening.
Yeah. Totally not my fault. I'm out to execute prisioners.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:10:03 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:51 am »

You know, it Salemuk hadn't (and I assume he did) deleted the burrow called "fort" that I made all this death and misery would not be happening.

OBJECTION! I NEVER TOUCHED YOUR BURROW DESIGNATION!

ehehehehe at least I don't think I did. . . .

I think you could write quite a few different sentences, all starting with, "You know, if Salmeuk hadn't. . ."

-failed to train a military
-failed to smith weapons
-carved a staircase to the caverns
-failed to defend that staircase
-uprooted the entire fortress population
-forgotten a dwarf

Anything else?

Wait, skaia, did you breach the new caravan tunnel I had carved or was it one of the older, incomplete tunnels left about?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:25:31 am by Salmeuk »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2015, 10:53:04 am »

double post: ignore this
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:10:01 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 10, 2015, 10:54:40 am »

You know, it Salemuk hadn't (and I assume he did) deleted the burrow called "fort" that I made all this death and misery would not be happening.

OBJECTION! I NEVER TOUCHED YOUR BURROW DESIGNATION!
SUSTAINED! THE BURROW WAS THERE WHEN I STARTED MY TURN, AND ENDED IT TOO.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:44 am »

Yeah, I used the burrow for the new fortress. I haven't expanded it yet to add on Maxcat's additions or Astville.

I breached the new caravan road. To get to the surface, dwarves had to walk the entire road up to the surface, so I made a staircase in the middle to improve efficiency. That was a good idea. The bad idea was linking one floor to the fort itself for even more efficiency. Luckily the military made it just in time, and the hole is now plugged up again.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »

Yeah, I used the burrow for the new fortress. I haven't expanded it yet to add on Maxcat's additions or Astville.

I breached the new caravan road. To get to the surface, dwarves had to walk the entire road up to the surface, so I made a staircase in the middle to improve efficiency. That was a good idea. The bad idea was linking one floor to the fort itself for even more efficiency. Luckily the military made it just in time, and the hole is now plugged up again.
Oh, maybe that's why the farmers don't use the seeds in Astville. Because they are not in the burrow. I mean, that's the reason why my dwarves refused to dig until I expanded the burrow to the designated digging areas.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »

Also make sure that the seeds are not forbidden: I may have forbidden everything there.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests - Punch it in the Head!!!!
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2015, 04:03:47 pm »

Workin' on the new update, though it might not be ready until tomorrow. Though I must say that our Hero, Kogsak Inkutter, is kind of a badass, and rightfully earns his spot as captain of the dwarves. He gets to keep his name. You know who else is a badass? TechnoXan, a non-military armorer who took on a minotaur with no equipment. May he rest well.

Don't worry, unforbid the seeds and took them out of burrow alert for now. The farmers are actually getting some planting done, but haven't done the obvious thing and brought the seed barrel up, even though the Astville Storeroom doesn't keep seeds.

Edit: Also, Dark One, apparently you died a while ago, but I brought you back as an Architect. I can't find your body/memorial/coffin. So your Necromancer stories are fairly relevant! No one noticed you were dead, not even yourself. So....undead architect. I was wondering why you were following them so willingly!

Writing okay so far?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:08:54 pm by SkaiaMechanic »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 10, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Writing okay so far?
It's one of my favorite turns so far.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 10, 2015, 05:42:45 pm »

Your writing is riveting dude! No joke, I love it. I'm glad my Dwarf fell a hero... Or something like that. Oh and can I be re-Dorfed as TechnoXan 2, another smith or if none are available a militia Dwarf if you haven't already? 😄

Edit:
Ignore this, I thought my Dwarf died by getting squished by the Minotaur. "May he rest well..." But then I saw the detailed report, WHOA! My Dwarf is the best I could have hoped for!! :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:54:31 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 11, 2015, 01:37:16 pm »

[OOC]

Edit: Also, Dark One, apparently you died a while ago, but I brought you back as an Architect. I can't find your body/memorial/coffin. So your Necromancer stories are fairly relevant! No one noticed you were dead, not even yourself. So....undead architect. I was wondering why you were following them so willingly!

First, my dorf dies in unknown circumstances, the body is nowhere to be found. Without any knowledge of this I have written about body withering away, leaving corporeal form and joining necromancers.... such extremely unlikely coincidences are standard with Dwarf Fortress. Is this game sending us signals, brainwashing us or something? Maybe it's curse of Doomforests?

Writing okay so far?

Your writing is great! I wish my crappy writings could reach that level!

Journal of Dark One

This appears to be the last entry of the journall.

I'm standing in dimly lit chamber. There's an old, wooden bookcase with empty shelves and cracked rock throne. Green glow gives this place an eerie feeling. The smell of death surrounds me. In the middle of the room I can see mangled dwarven body with, what seems to be, a metalsmithing toolkit. The body itself is a horrifying, unrecognisable mass. This body is strange. It's somehow.... familiar. There's also a scarred goblin chained to a wall. His limbs were chopped off and wounds treated. I pity him as the rest of his life he would be stuck there without any hope. Suddenly a master necromancer enters the chamber through the archway.

- Welcome Dark One! I'll show you how to use necromantic powers! Watch cautiously!

*He makes a few gestures at the empty space*

- Now repeat, aiming at the body lying here.

As I gesture with my hands the unrecognisable mass takes more dwarfy shapes. It stands up and mutters with pain:

- ...Me...

And explodes. The explosion is nearly deafening. Blood spoils all around and fractures of bones fly across the room. Should I've been in my corporeal form I could've been seriously wounded.

- Corpse explosion spell is useful if you want to quickly weaken enemy forces. You've made a geat job, although the corpse shouldn't reanimate! No you'll learn how to drain energy. There's a gobling chained to wall, focus a bit and point at him with your hand.

As I follow his orders I feel crawling sensation going through whole my body, and getting stronger in the chest. I look panic-stricken at the goblin. His skin changing colors from shades of green, through blue to grey and nearly black. His flesh is falling off his body and blood flowing from his eyes, yet he doesn't feel anything. He seems relieved finally meeting his end.

From my bedroom I ran straight towards mayors office in hope of finding Iamblichos. Instead of finding the mayor, I woke up overseer. Skaia has claimed mayors rooms! He was mad when he saw me in his room. I just pretended that I'm sleepwalking and gon away. I don't think that I fooled him though.

It's getting strange here nowadays. I can't get to forges anymore. Whenever I try to go to work, blacksmiths tell me that there's no job for an architect there. I'm confused. When I take smithing hammer into my hands, metalsmithing knowledge mixes with random mathemathical formulas, building blueprints and designs. I can't do anything practical... yet I seem to have knowledge about almost any labor. Everyone calls me different than before, why?

I have completely forgotten way to my room! Something's not right.... something takes control over me, my mind weakens, my memories fade away... My wife! What was her name? Ges.... Ge... I can't remember! I must act quickly, I have to ask necromancers for help!

I lay in my bed. Visions of rocks floating in void and top of the tower ovrlaying it. When I'm just about to enter the tower, I see small, blinking light in the distance. I decide to go there instead, and find myself in the border between mortal realm, dreamlands, underground and the great beyond. As I get closer to light I feel something dragging my legs towards the light, and I quickly land on an island floating in the space. Colorful smoke and clouds surround the island. There's a gigantic storm, lightings rage upon the skies. There's a skeleton sitting on a rock throne. When I look at it I get a crawling sensation all over my body. It looks like it's ages old. Bones of the skeleton are all cracked and in some places even burned. They have a dark yellow shade. As I come closer the skeleton shudders and looks at me with it's empty eye sockets. The skeleton speaks:

- Greetings friend! It's the first, yet not the first time you are here!
- What do you mean?
- You have come again, yet for you it's the first time you see me. What have happened before was at the time of different incarnations.
- Incarnations?
- Since ages the never ending chains of life and circle of undying have tied you to the mortal realm.
- Never ending chain of life? Circle of undying?
- To understand it you must go back with your memories to the very beginning. To the first incarnation.

*I try to focus on what's left of my memories, but it seems that I've lost most of them. I look cautiously at the hole in the forehead of the skeletons skull. Memories flow within me. Suddenly I realised that I know what have happened. I recall my first incarnation. I remember my name, the days when I was a bookkeeper in a fortress. I had a friend who was a manager. I remember those good days when I was studying tomes of knowledge in my dimly lit chamber, drinking merrily with family and conversating with my friend. Those days were simple and full of happiness. It all has ended when I was throwing a tantrum due to death of my father. Now I realise how the hole in the skull has appeared. Feeling guilty and being horrified I looked for help of dieties. The only diety that responded to my prayers was god of death and misery. He gave me a rock slab and told to read it. I ressurected my friend, burned the whole fortress and built my tower. Since then I've grown to be fearsome and powerful necromancer. One day an adventurer appeared. He tried to free the land of bone chilling horror. I ordered minor undead to stop him until I finish a ritual of reincarnation. They couldn't stop him, and so he interrupted me. Before he dealt me th final blow I imbued my most loyal servant with power and send him to other realm. Then I died. The ritual was flawed, and with each reincarnation I suffered death of mind. My mind was weakened with each death, and my memories faded away. I remember each incarnation now. I ask:*

- How to stop this from happening?
- You can't. The chains of life and circle of undying cannot be broken. This is the Armok's will. You are doomed for eternity.
- So what can I do?
- Legacy.
- I must leave a legacy for next incarnations?
- No, necromancers would destroy it when next incarnation would give it to them. Leave a legacy to someone, who will keep it safe, to someone who is wise beyond his age.
- I know! I have to go now!

* As I leave the skeleton shudders again, and in his last moments of undeath it mutters:*

- See you soon Dark One! I know you'll be back!

I try to wake up, but something drags me again. I try to fight it off, but it's too strong. Suddenly I find myself in the weird room. There's a table with map of the whole world on. There are dieties sitting on the chairs and moving figurines over the map. As one spots me it says:

- What are you doing here?

And banishes me out of this weird realm. I wake up.

I decided to give my journall to the fortress's bookkeeper. Taupe is a wise man, and I know that between many noted down nightmares and my journall entries, he can find some usefull information. I walked down the corridoor, knocked to Taupe's doors and lef tmy journall with note.

To Taupe,

I am leaving this journal as a legacy and warning. Be aware of necromancers and dieties striving for power, as they will use any means at their disposal to gain power. You may not believe me, you can treat this as a ramble of schizophreniac, but be aware of what I have written.

Dark One

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 11, 2015, 04:09:05 pm »

As I write down the next entry, please keep my state in mind in thought.

I have written that the battle against the goblins was a landslide. Let me copy down some reports for examples of how one-sided this was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, I was feeling quite confident of our military dwarves at the moment. Still, no reason to risk anyone unnecessarily as they were probably still tired from their last fight. We'd fight, but it would be on my terms. I gathered the 10 military dwarves at the Trade Depot and raised the door. Sadly, reports of dwarves stuck outside started reaching us. Two dwarves, an herbalist and a fishery worker, were quickly slaughtered by the minotaur. It validated my claim that this was a dangerous foe, and deserved caution, even if it did come at a price.

I got a strange message though. I had noticed our manager Drokles II hanging out by himself in the statue room above the lava pit focusing on "attending meeting" even though he wasn't moving and no one was around him. Was he having a meeting with the statues? Soon after though, I got this message:
I couldn't figure out how. I mean no one in an official position had died, and normally they can hang out forever. The liaison was still inside Doomforests grounds, however, so I zoomed in on him.

It appeared the liaison, following a dwarf much faster than him, got trapped on the other side of the gate. Finding no way in, he gave up and started to head back up the caravan road to the surface.
Coincidentally, he reached the top at the exact same time the Minotaur did.

To the minotaur, this wasn't a battle. This was sport! He took one of the dead dwarves' socks and wrapped it around his hand, cushioning the blow to let him enjoy each death more. His first test subject? One unhappy diplomat.

After biting right into the dwarf, the beast kept slamming his fist into the liaison, punching him in the head over and over again.

On one hand, he was already unhappy, so it wasn't like he would leave with a good report anyways. On the other hand...
He had my order form! Also, letting the diplomat die might even be a worse faux pas than trapping one outside. I ordered the gate to be lowered, and the military to attack. They rushed up the staircase, but they had a while to go.

Meanwhile our diplomat had vomited all over the ground with a major concussion and bleeding organs. The minotaur was laughing, enjoying inflicting such pain without death. It was so far though, that I didn't have any hopes of saving him. He was already unconcious. But we would try. However, it seemed like there was a marksdwarf stuck outside already, and thus reached the bull man first. He slammed his crossbow into the side of the minotaur.

The minotaur didn't like that. He stopped torturing the OL, and turned his attention to the dwarf that fought back, and showed him the same kindness as the other dwarves.

The next blood noon (sic) hits, and our two wereantelopes change. Oh, did I forget to mention one? It was a human currently trapped in a cage near the front. Also, I get another report of someone engaging the minotaur. A named dwarf not in the military, even with plenty of chances to get away at the moment.

It didn't matter that he wasn't in the military. He saw hurt dwarves and was going to save them or die trying. The minotaur towered over TechnoXan, his muscles like armor against any attack. Desprate for a hit, TechnoXan dove towards the beast, punching its largest toe as hard as it could. He punches with Dwarven Fury, so hard that it caves in on itself back into the foot. The bull yells out in pain. He has spent so long sock-punching dwarves that he's out of breath. In his confusion, he slips and falls down the ramp leading into the fortress. TechnoXan screams in rage and jumps on the fallen minotaur body. He has no weapons, no armor, and is completely untrained for combat. All it would have to do is wake up bite him in two, or wring his neck. But he decides to give the beast a little of its own medicine.

He continues punching with all his might, throwing both fists as hard as he can. He knows all he's doing is bruising the muscle, making its head swell to a great size, but he continues punching. Whenever it tries to awaken and get back up, another fist lands squarely on its head.

At this time, the military has finally reached the top. Lead by our resident Hero, he decides to end the battle quickly.

The beast has been killed. I consider immediately recruiting TechnoXan into The Kinetic Swans, but I decide to instead put him in the scouting party continuously off duty. He has a truly dwarven fighting spirit, but he's also our best blacksmith and we have a ton of unused magma forges. Rest well, TechnoXan. You've earned it.

With the battle done, I focus more on other matters.

The blood noon passes, and the wereantelopes transform back. Okay, let's try this again. The airlock is ready, so I order the wall in the hospital to be taken down. This time it's done with haste, and our dwarf is free. Well, she should be. This transformation has not been easy on her. She can't stand up, even though the transformation healed all wounds. Her legs shake and give out anyways. And she cries and cries as her "roommate" is taken away to be put in a coffin. It's completely mental, but Taupe has to bring her a crutch before she'll start walking.

Getting used to the crutch, I order her to the airlock. "You won't go down in history as a terrible monster," I console her, "That death wasn't your fault, but we can use your powers for good. It can't be cured, but no matter what I'll make sure you go down honorably whether you survive or not. You will be memorialized like Ast, the wereantelope of old. This I promise."
She stops walking for a bit, and starts walking herself the other way. Worried, I reemphasize her orders, that we need her to get to the airlock now before she transforms again, but she's having none of it. She continues to hobble with her crutch towards the stockpiles. There she picks up some light armor, a copper shield, and an iron battle axe. No matter what happens, she's going to do it with the intention of a dwarf, not a bloodthirsty beast. I think of telling her that the armor will be stripped off as soon as she changes, but decide that this is important to her, and let her keep what she got.

The wereantelope makes her way through the fortress to the airlock, knowing this might be the last time she ever gets to see living dwarves again. Through no fault of her's, she caused a death, and now faces her own. She turns to me before she steps in. "My name is Lor Glideworks, and I will fight for Doomforests until the very end." She stands inside the airlock, and the wall is rebuilt behind her. She hears the eyeless shrew claw at the artifact door in front of her, unable to scratch it. She can only wait now.

With a heavy heart, I walk away, leaving the Honored One to her fate.

To completely shatter the mood, I walk past an engraving I had never seen before.
It's a picture of our mad doctor, awarding himself mayor while surrounded by a baby, a goblin, a dying dwarf, and a literal cabinet. Despite my best intentions, I can't help but crack a smile. I go to see my friend.

Taupe II is busy working on the injured Marksdwarf. He pulls him out of bed and onto the nearby table, trying to get him to hold still. "I require a traction bench," he says, "I'm making do with what I have but it would really help." It's hard to find a part-time doctor that actually knows when to stop working and start doctoring, much less one that tells me exactly what they need. I head out, sign into a mechanic shop, and make one for him personally. I order it installed, and the doctor immediately drags his patient over and sets him on it.

Doomforests. We work. We survive. Against all odds, we're still here.

I then get a disturbing report.

Not this again...the cult was harder to get rid of than I thought.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:14:05 pm by SkaiaMechanic »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 11, 2015, 04:23:22 pm »

And this is why I wanted to put a lava floodgate in the jail: There is no problem that cannot be solved with proper administration of lava.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 11, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »

And this is why I wanted to put a lava floodgate in the jail: There is no problem that cannot be solved with proper administration of lava.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with proper administration of lava.
...proper ADMINISTRATION of lava.
ADMINISTRATION OF LAVA!
Best mayoral platform since Taupe II's "vote for me, I'm not dead apparently!" back in the day!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »

Well, if a Vampire want to be mayor, and has so many skills, then he should be able to do the dwarfiest of tasks: stockpiling lava, and telling it where to go. Buckets and/or armor are optional, and not recommended
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 144