Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425724 times)

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #675 on: February 15, 2015, 01:06:18 pm »

The Journal of TechnoXan

Entry One:

Two weeks of trekking through the Savannah and here I am. Doomforests, a bastion of hope (and destruction) for all Dwarfkind. My long journey from Mechanic Caves is over. And a new home for the Mechatechno sect is found. I will gather more members and together, together the Mechatechno sect will create the most Urist Goldberg like magma machines! Ah, I am getting ahead of myself, while the understanding and creation of amazing Dwarfy machinations is paramount. I am currently being employed as an armorer, encasing our brave hero’s in the finest armor. The perfect job for me, the perfect job to both defend Doomforests and guide Doomforests to a mechanical future by rising through the ranks of nobility, and importance.

Entry Two:

And my athletic abilities have come in handy. I was faced with a choice, a towering Minotaur in the middle of goring some dwarfs as Dwarfs all around me fled for the safety of the fortress. I could not let it stand! I rushed my foe, and I could feel power surging through me! It was as if time slowed, I saw his open stance and undefended feet. While simultaneously analyzing fifty different options to attack the beast. I so I struck him in his vulnerable big toe! I harnessed that power inside and bashed the beast until the militia could arrive and smite the foul monster. Overseer Skaia then personally recruited me into a backup military squad! I was so honored, this is a great step for the Mechatechno sect as now I am in a state of moderate power!

Entry Three:

After my self-proclaimed “promotion” to a soldier I was walking back to the good old booze pile when I heard Taupe screaming, “AAAAAAH! SOUND THE ALARM!! AND HURREY FOR ARMOKS SAKE, SKAIA IS IN THERE!!!!” as he booked it down the hall, away from a mysterious hole in the wall. Wait, no. NO! It leads straight to the caverns! “By Armoks fangs, enemies in the Caverns!” I yell to nearby Dwarfs. Mate the 888th, Iamblichos II, and Senshuken III, both brave specimens of pure Dwarfyness, join me as we charge into the caverns. Just in time to see Mate the 888ths son be brutally killed. We all converge on the beast. Again, it’s as if time slowed for me. And again I analyze the force needed to tear his thigh muscle or the angle needed to chip his jaw bone. Then my choice is made and I proceed to brutally attack the beast along with my brave companions. We fight. And we win, the battle is over. Now I can continue to gather followers and begin to draw up plans for the great projects that the Mechatechno sect, nay, Doomforests will accomplish!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:51:15 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 15, 2015, 01:28:36 pm »

Your writing is fine.  Don't worry bout the cult thing either, cults are practically a integral part of DoomForests society.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 15, 2015, 02:22:01 pm »

[OOC]

Your writing is fine.  Don't worry bout the cult thing either, cults are practically a integral part of DoomForests society.

Seconded. Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

[OOC]

I feel weak. My limbs are numb and I feel piercing pain in my chest. I walk the corridor unsteadily as red glow blurs my vision. Spirits of the dead whisper to my ears. Thousands of horrifying voices. All the time. They always repeat one word Sanctumcoal. My whole life. It was just an illusion. I told myself that Geshud loved me... I told myself that in Doomforests I can escape the nightmares... the torment. I was a fool, a plaything to trickster gods striving for power. A slave for dark mages loathing life! A slave... to Armok. Never ending chains of life and death cannot be broken... I am damned... for eternity. I cannot... I don't want to fight anymore. This is my destiny, and so I have to choose this path. Since I'm going to suffer eons after the world gets reshaped upon the anvil of creation... I want to have my own part in this. No longer I will be helpless fool! I'm going to spread darkness all over the world! For Armoks delight.... for my own pleasure! With my last strenght I carve a random symbol over the corridors wall, so it could remind me of my goal... endless destruction! I feel the necromancers taking control over my mind. I... must.... obey....

After unspecified amount of time has passed

Darkness, middle of the night. I follow dark disciples to our base. It feels strange, as if I was watching myself from within the shadows. After my passage I know that they're not disciples of Nifih-Gogol, they are necromancers from Sanctumcoal in training. They have built a hidden society within the fortress's walls. And now I am the one to command them! As we move through a corridor, I feel strange, crawling sensation going through my body. I feel that strange powers force me to lit the torch, and stare at a wall. As I glance upon it's smooth surface, tongues of flames appear and start to form symbols. Suddenly I feel memories flowing into my mind. I remember pain, torment and sorrow. I remember my goal... and then the symbol disappears. When I finally put out the torch I see my brothers horrified. Brothers told me that I was staring at blank, marble wall, and they couldn't get any reaction from me. I told them that I had a vision of incoming victory, and we move on. I hope that incident with the wall wasn't watched by anyone else. No one knows my passage into an architect, and it's better to stay this way. We have entered our base. Large antechamber dimly lit by torches, secured by hidden passages and closed by reinforced doors. The chamber had everything needed to survive in the fort, and live in comfortable conditions. High quality rock furniture, beds, bookcases... they even have tiny still and small farm plots! I am their new leader, yet I don't know a damn thing about their society. As I watched the room in awe, dark disciples were looking closely at me. Twenty four, that's our number. It's small, but if they would be well trained, they could easily take over the fortress using their necromantic powers. I need time to get accustomed to their society.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:24:57 pm by Dark One »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 15, 2015, 02:45:27 pm »

[/quote][/spoiler]
Great journal! But I'm not dead, it was my little son who got brutally murdered by... the... *sob* IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! No, wait, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
jk
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 16, 2015, 03:17:24 am »

Hi!
Does anyone know what tileset Drokles is using in his first posts? I quite like it.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 16, 2015, 03:55:00 pm »

Okay, sorry, one more day. Apparently I put the wrong save on my flashdrive, so I'll update when I can tomorrow.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 16, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »

Hi!
Does anyone know what tileset Drokles is using in his first posts? I quite like it.
I thought it was Duerer at first: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142083.0 but that's not right, though it's a similar feel.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 17, 2015, 04:18:05 pm »

Playin' the game now, not enough is happening to make an update out of it, but everyone is keeping busy. Thank you for your patience though all this waiting.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:23:09 pm by SkaiaMechanic »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:42 pm »

Take your time, I'm not even done turning Murderflood into a Crusader King play-trough yet.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 17, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

You know what I like the most about Doomforests? The fact that about five or six of us got our sigs from the insanity that ensued in it.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »

Playin' the game now, not enough is happening to make an update out of it, but everyone is keeping busy. Thank you for your patience though all this waiting.

Doomforests has always been a slow-burn fortress. Hell, it's been a part of my life for four months now. Absurd!

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 18, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic II

Trading. I've taken the name of the previous broker, had all the crafts and finest foods delivered to the depot, and am currently looking over their wares. And one thing is standing clear over all others.

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I went over the notes my predecessor left me, which helped immensely. The problem was that there were almost no notes, due to Skaia's dedication to job security by keeping all the info in her head. Thanks for that!

Still though, I'm a practical person, so I can understand basically what we need. We have a metric fuckton of weapons, so I sell off our supply of copper and silver-bladed weapons. A few dwarves have spent the past year making masterpiece silk out of all the spider webs in this place, so I sell all of that off. Sorry we couldn't make things out of it we need money. I sell all the crafts of course, plus whatever food looks most delicious. I also find a ton of wooden weapons and armor, so I promptly sell all that off for cheap.

In return, I grab every steel weapon they have, any armor and clothing, a few bars, clay, and glass, a few chests and bags, and trade our quality food for their quantity food. Some bolts and some cloth. The traders didn't bring the "years-worth load" of food Skaia I apparently requested, but they do have a ton so I buy all of that up. I also grab some bags of sand for the four magma glass furnaces we have for some reason, medical supplies, and farming seeds.

Still though, I'm guessing at what all of this is actually worth, and I think the traders know it as well as I do. A smirk is on every one of their faces, with gleaming eyes of opportunity. They reject my first offer, chuckling to themselves. I end up having to throw some more of our lesser quality weapons, as well as two or three bins full of cut and uncut gems. We don't have anyone to cut them after all. They finally take it and we can get to work.

Still, I think I've learned a lot about the value of items. I'd even call myself an Adept Appraiser now!

You know, for all the plans Skaia had in being overseer, the productivity of this place is fairly low. She was the fortress's sole jeweler/engineer. We have no chefs or brewers, only one metalsmith with a floor full of magma furnaces, and a half-empty military. I rearrange all of that. We have quite a few engravers already, so I put aside my calling for right now and get to work melting some ore. Gotta do my part after all. Other dwarves are ordered to make iron armor and gold statues. With all the iron and flux stone we have we're prime for making steel, but the process requires actual fuel which we don't have. Trees were ordered to be cut down a while ago but we're still waiting for that to be accomplished. No coal or lignite to be found either. I rebuild the "airlock room" Honored Lor fought her last battle, and order it engraved with tales of werebeasts. Still, I think some of our engravers are letting their ego go to their heads.

I look through our records and find that all of our marksdwarves have been preferring to hit the enemy with their crossbows instead of shooting at them. Curious, I go through all of our military orders and find out that our marksdwarf squad was never assigned ammo! I quickly fix that, and bring down the number of ammo carried by our hunters by 90%. We have over a thousand bolts scattered about, this shouldn't be such an issue.

In other news, our sole medical patient keeps screaming out in pain, even restrained on the traction bench, so Taupe II keeps re-diagnosing them. It's taken up a huge chunk of his time, but on the plus side we now have one of the best trained diagnosticians in the world, so it all evens out I guess! It might be cruel, but I need the doctor for other things, so I come to the hospital and push the traction bench over, letting the dwarf's body hit the floor. This wakes him up, and he hobbles back to work. Two more hands free. That's productivity in progress for ya. Of course, I quickly set the bench back up after he leaves.

UUUUGGGGGG. I just opened Skaia's old file cabinet and a flood of papers for some kind of mega project called the "Total Safety Project" come spilling out. She has pages and pages of philosophical, theological, and technical writing on this thing. But shifting through all the needless filler and finding out what it actually IS... simply, it's supposed to be a bunch of walls that appear throughout the fortress in case of an emergency, triggerable by several levers. Walls that any dwarf could easily collapse, but a beast or goblin would be powerless against it. The amount of mechanisms required are mind-boggling. She apparently wanted the old fort broken down into "sections" that each had their own supply of food, drink, and pickaxes in case of an emergency. All of the walls were put into place before she died. However, we don't have a single dedicated mechanic to work connecting all of this to levers so the logistical nightmare of a project will just have to go unfulfilled for now. Basically, screw that I'm not dealing with it. We're short staffed as we are. (Mental note: never mention that to humans and elves, short jokes at best and war at worst.)

To help out our fledgeling squad of marksdwarves, I order an archery hall to be built near the ammo supply. With the rate things are going though, that might take a while, especially since I reassigned most of our miners to other tasks of greater importance.

Another forgotten beast is spotted down in the cavern waters. Compared to the ball of fire somewhere in here, I'm not actually that worried.

Migrants! More hands to carry stuff! Welcome to Doomforests. Your first job is to pick up any clothing falling apart and tossing it into the magma. I'm making a few more dumping spots so it's easier to do so.

Speaking of old clothes, everyone's room looks like I mess, mostly because they have nowhere to put their stuff. I order all the cabinets we can get from the masons.

Apparently, our mayor is a fucking vampire. And...he's fairly agreeable? I mean sure, he'd kill any one of us out of thirst, but since being elected he hasn't made a single demand or blocked a single trade. He's happy enough knowing he has a nice golden room in Old Doomforests, even if he's walled inside a jail cell currently. Note to future overseers: don't kill this guy! He can have all the shadow cults he wants if he continues to be otherwise harmless.

Drokles, you've been waiting to attend a meeting all year. You are a manager. You don't have meetings. I'm sorry you weren't elected mayor but you weren't. Why are you so sad all the time. All you have to do is occasionally check off work orders every once in a while.

Winter arrives, and with it the cold contrasting the heat of the magma pit.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 18, 2015, 04:53:20 pm »

I was starting to wonder if we were getting a migrant wave.  Can you dorf number 3 as one of the new arrivals?  Let me know what his profession is if you do.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 18, 2015, 05:14:14 pm »

Doomforests has always been a slow-burn fortress
I remember the burning to be rather fast...

also keep in mind that altho skaia ! died, the doctor is probably not too bad at engineering. Or at anything really. The main issue is that he's also the only guy able to fix people, or stare at a pool of rotting dwarves without flinching, so his abilities are probably best used somewhere else. :/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:21:18 pm by Taupe »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »

Senshuken III feels proud enough of his sword that he names it. I take a look at this supposingly incredible sword. At first glance shows it's still coated with the blood of the previous forgotten beast. It was the one that laid the final strike on that terrible shrew.

But what's more noticeable is it's owners. Yes, Senshuken, but before that it was owned by Osp the Vampire. It doesn't have around 20 troll kills with it, so I'm assuming he dropped it upon finding a better sword when first arriving at Doomforests. If he picked it up after it would probably have been crushed along with him. It obviously didn't mean much to Osp, but having such a dark presence still operate in this fortress gives me chills. The sword of Osp now rests in the hands of the Leader of The Kinetic Swans.

I'm sure no one will pay any attention to that though.

Just as I say that, a master weaver becomes possessed!

He grabs a ton of stone and cloth, some leather, and then hollowly calls out for bones and wood. I quickly reassign our carpenter off hauling duty and to only butcher some animals and cut down some trees.

While I'm taking care of that, the injured marksdwarf is restrained back into the second traction bench and the cycle of stupidity starts again, with Taupe once again trapped in an endless loop. I push over this bench as well, and then tell someone to put both back up. Efficiency!

The possessed weaver finally starts his mysterious construction. The materials look interesting, I'm looking forward to the result.

Nope, the cycle is happening again. Next overseer: if there's ever a medical emergency, put those two traction benches back up.
For now though, they'll stay down, and Taupe goes to dig out the archery range.

Oh COME ON! That's the third Forgotten Beast down here in our one layer cavern, assuming they haven't all killed each other, which is a strong possibility.

...what the hell is a Chausse?

I take a look at Skaia I's big magical book of Wikipedia. It's apparently a kind of leg armor, like a cloth greave I'm guessing? Whatever. Let's take a closer look.

Hmm...a drinking song from my childhood comes to mind. What was it again?

Ah well.

I keep getting a notices that an item in inaccessible, but I can't find what they're talking about. Also oddly enough, I dug a path to Old Doomforests, but no one will go pick up the golden furniture I designated. Those two aren't related, Skaia I was the one who dug the path into Doomforest's old farms but the cancellation notices are just coming up now. Someone else can figure out what's happening there.

I won't copy it since it doesn't have any named dwarves, but there's a cool sparring session going on. Our resident Hero was sparring with an Axedwarf, generally the former beating up the latter like he always does. However, the axedwarf suddenly "gets it" and becomes an Axe Lord midspar, and she becomes almost an even match for the Hero. It's kind of shocking to see it go from heavily one sided tough love training session to a near-even battle.

Looking at our military again though, I notice all of our Marksdwarves have two crossbows. I had never heard of that working before, but I'm interested in the results! Sounds like Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! in progress.

Okay, now the Marksdwarf is just in a hospital bed. I give up, as I don't want to take Taupe off doctor duties. Diagnose his shattered ankle forever for all I care. He probably needs a cast, but I have no idea where to get the plaster powder to make one.

Actually, I'm turning off Taupe's diagnosing for now so he can actually get some work done.

FUTURE OVERSEERS: OUR MEDICAL DOCTOR IS NOT DIAGNOSING FOR THE ABOVE REASON, RE-ENABLE IF NECESSARY.

A few of our citizens are unhappy, mostly due to the constant fighting going on in the caverns around us. I'm putting more chests and cabinets in bedrooms. That should help.

I notice our Outpost Liaison has been hanging around the suspended statue garden over the lava pit. Why he's there and not nagging some noble? I dunno. Whatever.

I meet one of the new migrant workers. A bone carver from...well he kind of mumbled it, but it sounded legit. He said his name was Drazoth III. I said we have already had a Drazoth I and II. "Weird," he says. "Family?" I say back. "Nope, coincidence," he says. I shrug and walk away.

Okay, that's as much I can fit in here for today, time is fleeting, and I can't spend the day writing in this journal, now can I?

(Also, make a new title Salmeuk, Baby Minister died a long time ago. We need to move on.)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 144