Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426818 times)

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Doomforests -The Death of Babyminister
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:35 pm »

Huh, simply smoothing the path to Skaia I's tomb/memorial killed an engraver with baby. That's like a Dwarven Cornerstone. That's why my tiny tomb is awesome.
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »

I read that as "killed an engraver with a baby" and didn't think it unusual.

Also, you might want to bold, enlarge, and maybe add color to that note about the doctor.

Intent:
Actually, I'm turning off Taupe's diagnosing for now so he can actually get some work done.

FUTURE OVERSEERS: OUR MEDICAL DOCTOR IS NOT DIAGNOSING FOR THE ABOVE REASON, RE-ENABLE IF NECESSARY.

A few of our citizens are unhappy, mostly due to the constant fighting going on in the caverns around us. I'm putting more chests and cabinets in bedrooms. That should help.

Reality after two overseers don't notice it:
Actually, I'm turning off Taupe's diagnosing for now so he can actually get some work done.
future overseers: our medical doctor is not diagnosing for the above reason, re-enable if necessary.
A few of our citizens are unhappy, mostly due to the constant fighting going on in the caverns around us. I'm putting more chests and cabinets in bedrooms. That should help.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »

Journal of DrazothIII:

Entry 1: Arrived in DoomForests today.  Was greeted by the current overseer on arrival.  He knew about 1 and 2.  He was suspicious.  Think I managed to avoid giving myself away, for now at least.  Will pay respects at brothers' graves, then get to work.

Entry 2: Found number 2's grave without much work.  Number 1's tomb was empty.  Strange, I thought he had become baron during his time here.  Will investigate at some point. 

Entry 3:  After speaking with the fort's doctor, TaupeII, I learned that the large tombs in the area known as Old DoomForests were destroyed by trolls during a siege.  Apparently the good doctor was overseer during that time.  He didn't know everything that happened here, but he filled in the blanks left by 1's death.  Will send details to mother.  Must find 2's things.  While he may not of reported, he would have certainly kept a journal.  He may have found out some things regarding the supernatural threats to this fort.

Entry 4:  Found 2's stuff.  Not much of it is useful, but he did have a journal.  Not much of note in there, save for all the pages torn out, as well as the last page.  There was a message there, written in our family's secret rune code.  If he used that, it means he felt his journal was at risk of being compromised.  Fortunately, his last message can't be read by any outside our family, as there is no physical recording of how to decipher it seeing as we memorize it. Will copy the code onto next message for mother.  Will also copy it here.  Must keep this journal safe.  Will keep it on my person till I can hide it properly.  Thank you brother.  You were never ambitious, brave or strong, but you were always loyal and clever.  I know what I must do next.  Rest in peace.

The Code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[OOC: For those who want to know what the code says, look here: http://ca.ign.com/wikis/fez/Fez_Alphabet]
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:51 pm »

(Also, make a new title Salmeuk, Baby Minister died a long time ago. We need to move on.)
You make it sound so easy.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:10 am »

-ignore-

I did it again fuuuuu
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Also, make a new title Salmeuk, Baby Minister died a long time ago. We need to move on.)
You make it sound so easy.

He is forever in our hearts, I just couldn't let go. . .

Other title possibilities include, "The Mayor is a Vampire! and 989 other bedtime stories" or maybe "Hairy Dinosaurs and Feathery Snakes mistake fortress for Monster Salon."

I like the detail you're including in these updates.

I added mate888 to the player list, if anyone else wanted to be added again let me know! I'm not sure if I missed someone or not.

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomforests - Where Swords can be Hatchets (if they really want to)
« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2015, 08:40:51 am »

Could I be dwarfed as one of the last migrants? Preferably mason/engraver/metalworker.
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:30 am »

There is something rather pleasing about having a sword that used to belong to an all powerful vampire that has a taste for blood (In this case, Forgotten Beast blood).

Considering how many of the fucking things show up here, its not going to go hungry anytime soon. I'll write up a proper post in a little while.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:24 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic II

There's been a....a...I can't even say it with a straight face.
There's been an Engraving Accident.

Skaia the First wanted her tomb built along an inner path on the caldera wall. She's been entombed, memorialized, it looks great. All that was needed was the path to be smoothed and maybe engraved. Three engravers were working on it already when one ran through the door and tripped. Guardrails have yet to be installed on the path, all I saw was her running through the door and turning into smoke. I then find the Legendary Engraver and Child flying HIGHER into the air pushed by the smoke, while melting. Her child goes first, melting in her arms covering her with her son's blood. While she wasn't a so-called "named dwarf" she will still be missed, as she was Mate the 888th wife holding their third child. Mate's line is in danger, as he only has one more son, and won't be getting any more. He is given the name Mate the 890th: Last Heir. He is oblivious to the death of his family as he is just one year old. Let's see if he can survive to adulthood! A moment of silence for Kib Eastgems, Engraver. She won't get a tomb, but her memorial will be placed on the head of the path. Also, a slight reprimand will be given postmortem to SkaiaMechanic I for building a tomb with unsafe working conditions. The reprimand will be written down, kept on my desk a while, and then lost.

Senshuken III is the first visitor to Skaia's Tomb. He's using his vacation to get to the overseer he couldn't save in time. He passes by me on the ledge while I'm personally smoothing out the place. I saw him go up to the memorial tomb, wait a moment, and then leave. As overseer I should be angry he's off not doing any work, but I can't help but be touched. May his line be blessed.

Oh, I found Commander Xelius's paperwork as well. Historians might remember he had a short stint at being overseer before dying to the Prime Hero. Someone crossed out his profession and scribbled in "train wreck delayer." I have to admit, I laughed.

While I have the paperwork, I put in an order for Astville's Namesake to get a memorial as well, that might be placed nearby the place she found and secured, even with a curse.

I know technically all of this torn clothing can be sold for trade, but it's just so much more satisfying tossing it into the magma. Feels more dwarven.

Actually, those slabs will never get done. I go to make Ast's Memorial myself.

The smelters are all being used at once right now, which is really nice. Gold, Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite, and other ores are being dragged over and smelted properly.

I notice our stockpiles are REALLY inefficient, but there's so many I don't even want to bother with it. I'll see if I can move some things closer though.

I catch sight of someone else heading to SkaiaMechaic's Tomb. It's her friend, the doctor. Taking his break to say a final goodbye. Dwarves don't have funerals like humans do. For us, the entombing/memorial process IS the funeral. But I think she'd still be happy that he came by. He stands there for quite a while.

If anyone wants to go to Old Doomforests to retrieve the treasure, be my guest. There's a ton of stuff we could burn for FPS and there's quite a few golden items. The treasure is yours for the taking, the dwarves left everything in one piece.

For trade, the magma forges are producing tons of silver wheelbarrows, since I don't know what's valuable in The Town of Stroking right now because our liaison is still hanging out in the suspended statue room. Nothing's blocking him, but he continues to stand still. Whatever.

With nothing to mark it, Spring arrives at Doomforests. Normally the winter is when real goblin sieges start, but if Skaia I's findings are correct there shouldn't be any real force to bother us. Nope, we can stay content with the Forgotten Beast Family Reunion.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the year. Yes, our overseer may have suffered a tragic fate, but we've survived and improved in many ways. Things are all set up for the next leader. Yes, I mentioned next leader. You see? I want to get back to engraving, or helping in the forges. Heck, I'm also now the most qualified dwarf in fort to trade now. But all this paperwork, it's annoying. How did the original Skaia hold her head up so high with this *<Purple Rutile Hat>*? Itʻs giving me a migraine. At least the administrative positions are treated like royalty here, so Iʻm going to keep my cushy job and decorated office.

Reading over Skaiaʻs notes, she had a real admiration for Taupe II. I personally think heʻs nuts, running across the fortress to do one thing only to stop and go do another. Diagnosing the same patient hundreds of times for a broken foot. But if anyone is fit to lead this place, it would be him. Iʻll drop this off at the Hospital next chance I get along with some notes.

Maybe Iʻll even pick up one of Skaiaʻs old books or maps stored in the office. It canʻt hurt, at least. Itʻs absolutely insane here, but Doomforests is a pretty nice place to live! Letʻs see what I can help with around here.

=================================

Notes for Future Overseers:
Our mayor didnʻt make a single request or ban all year. He was simply happy with his unreachable golden room. I can appreciate that. Amusing fact: before the vampire, I was the mayor here for a while, but no one seems to remember that.
Our military is small, but extremely capable. Theyʻre all wearing quality armor and weapons except for the copper ones they got attached to, like our Heroʻs Copper Shield. Last I saw our Hero, Swordleader, and Hammerer were having a 3-way duel. Note, our hero is Captain of the Guard, but as long as you donʻt make a personal squad for him he can remain in The Kinetic Swans training with the best. The archery range is almost finished being smoothed and the targets are being set up.
Our production is well under way. Iʻve stopped bothering making rock crafts as we have tons of ore, metal, and magma to make far more impressive items and we need every hand we can get. Problem though, most of the ore is trapped in Old Doomforests, but no one will wheelbarrow it down to the forges and instead the dwarves have to carry it all the way there and back. Let the weavers keep collecting webs and you can make whatever silk item you want.
Thereʻs a few bottlenecks here and there. One through the east bedrooms, another on the way to Astville. I accidentally ordered the digging out of around the staircase downward instead of building U/D stairs all the way.
The two memorials I said Iʻd get up are up. The baby has one in the memorial room as well, so you shouldnʻt have an an issue with ghosts.
Food and Drink are good enough to last a VERY long time, with a strong harvest coming in as well.
That handicapped marksdwarf is still in a hospital bed. Deal with him however you wish.
If you can find out whatʻs causing all of those "Item Not Accessible" warnings all the more to you. I never figured it out.
If you dare, hunt the forgotten beasts. People are somehow seeing everything theyʻre killing down there and theyʻre horrified from it. Take back the caverns so we donʻt need to go crazy trying to get wood. Or at least do a megaproject to make the game less safe than I have it now.
Iʻm not good at putting up another entry on the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive. Could someone else upload a copy? Keep it in the pheobus tileset for easier reading by people who canʻt read ASCII, Iʻll point things out.
FPS seems decent, but Iʻm on some kickass school computers so I hope itʻs decent for you as well. The only thing really slowing it down isnʻt the clothes or rocks but the thousands of spiderwebs filling the caverns. Seriously, Iʻm used to the stock screen pausing at stones, not thread.
Original Skaiaʻs Total Safety Project is halfway done. There are bridges EVERYWHERE to turn into walls at a momentʻs notice. Also put a few more levers so it can be activated from several different places. I planned on my turn being focused on "bringing the mountain to life" through that but keeping track of which levers are attached to which bridges without mechanisms or a mechanic was too much of a headache. Your call if you want to continue it in any way.
I still have no idea how that legendary engraver died. Well, other than by melting. She ran on the platform and suddenly there was smoke where she stood with her pushed up into the sky.
Iʻm thrilled to have had a turn here, and I look forward to the continued story! Put me on the list for another round, even though I hope we go down in a blaze of glory before then!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:55:49 pm by SkaiaMechanic »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:53 pm »

Okay: Save is HERE. Let me know if that doesnʻt work.

Have fun Taupe! Out of the Flood and Into the Forest.

I like the title "Doomforests - A Forgotten Beast Family Reunion!"

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:51 pm »

This is art...amazing job, throughout the turn Skaia.  :)
And Toupe, I can't wait to see what will happen to you next! ;D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2015, 08:16:14 pm »

Yeah, hum, I'm not going to be around until maybe monday, since I have to go over to my mom's place for her 50th birthday. Will try to blitz the turn in a few days next week.

In the meantime, why don't you take a look at THIS FORT, which I'm working hard to bring back to life. It could use a few more people, because everyone sort of forgot about it along the way. Speaking of which...

He had been testing the patient every hour, for every day of the last month. People assumed he was mad. That much was true. But the doctor was definitely not going to let such a patient go unchecked. It could go wrong at any moment. But so far it hadn't. after 890 diagnostics, he was now pretty certain that the treatment was working. It has not spread. At all. In fact it disappeared.

The main ingredient had been gold, altho the specially engraved bandages had been the catalyst. The victim had been slashed (hooved?) by one of the werebeasts, and instead of announcing it to the overseer, he'd come to him instead. People were quick to dismiss him as an old fool, until they had trouble of their own. So did this dwarf. but he definitely changed his mind about the doctor's reputation when he realized he was probably cursed. But no more.

''Tell no one. If anyone asks, simply say that I am senile, and bored.
-I will not say anything. If they learned, they draft me into the military, and dispatch me against the beasts to clear the caverns.
-Good, good.''

There was little hope of saving a more serious affliction of the werecurse, but at least this little infection had been contained. Life had been different for the doctor since he found the book, and crafted the artefact bed. Skaia had seen it for what it truly was, however. An altar, a catalyst. It beared the key to mighty seals long forgotten, which he had designed, guided by the writtings in the old journal he found. Of Dark One there had been no sign, altho there was many places he could have been hiding, as did many cultists he was sure. There was, after all,  a  new vampire mayor,  although this one was key to his plans. He was still working on the how and the when, but he definitely knew what he was going to do with him.

Skaia II came to his office later that day, saying that the weight of the hat had grown heavy on a simple broker's head. He agreed to oversee the fort once more. The ex-overseer left him with some plans and half-finished design about skaia's personal project, the total Safety Project. He knew vaguely what it involved, but lacked the mechanical skills to wire it properly. Only Skaia had known her lot about mechanics, and her alone knew how to finish the project. And finishing the project, they had to. Every day, the battles in the caverns grew wilder, and the need for wood amplified. Sadly, there was no dwarf alive in this fort who could complete this task.

That's why he was going to bring her back.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:24:07 pm by Taupe »

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 19, 2015, 08:50:18 pm »

The (countenued) Journal of TechnoXan, the Dwarf                                                                         

Entry Four:
For the moment my days are spent armoring with my fellow craftsmen, a pleasurable job indeed. And I am proud to help our brave warriors in combat. As I myself periodically wear the very same armor I craft in times of war. And I spend my nights furthering the Mechatechno sect. During the ferocious fight with the Shrew of death I had a glimpse of the caverns. Amazing! The sect will thrive in these conditions. Mecha plans C through E will most likely take place mainly in the upper levels of the caverns, oh the wonders the sect  shall create! I must explore the caverns. I have need the exotic creatures that call the caverns home. Water will be needed in abundance if the plans are to succeed. The caverns should, again, suffice for the Mecha Projects. Alas, I must retire to my room. I need to research more into cavern lore. Specifically the local Fauna.
                    Entry Five:
Today I contacted two potential members for the sect, I have met with them twice and they seem worthy members of the Mechatechno sect. They must pass trial first though. I will set the the first hopeful on his trial tomorrow. Two is very small, but the sect shall grow! Anyway, after doing some research into the habits of some of the more dangerous inhabitants, I borrowed a pick from the stockpiles, oh who am I kidding, the giant pile of semi useful tools. And I have chipped a small hole into the caverns through a small abandoned mine shaft. Sealed tight with a small gate of course! I would dare not endanger the fortress. No one can know, lest panic break out among the more feeble minded among us. But, the caverns are amazing. Who would forsake a place such as this for the mere chance of danger? I have only explored a small portion for myself and using my measurements I have altered  Mecha plans C and D accordingly. This is promising indeed.
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:00 pm »

If anyone wants to go to Old Doomforests to retrieve the treasure, be my guest. There's a ton of stuff we could burn for FPS and there's quite a few golden items. The treasure is yours for the taking, the dwarves left everything in one piece.

I see what you did there.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:16 am »

Mate the 888th grabbed his hammer. He was blind with rage as he ran at Skaia's tomb. The raised his hammer but the speardwarf, the one he named Hero stopped him before he defiled Skaia's resting place.
"LET ME DO IT! LET ME TAKE REVANGE!"
"Stop it! You have been sober for three days! You are not thinking straight!"
"SHUT UP! SKAIA'S IMPRUDENCE LET MY FIRST SON TO FOLLOW HER TO THE CAVES AND DIE! AND NOW, AFTER DEATH SHE IS STILL KILLING MY KIN! MATE THE 889TH, KIB, MATE THE 891ST, ALL OF THEM DEAD BECAUSE OF HER! LET ME BREAK HER MEMORIAL SO THAT HER SOUL IS FORCED TO LEAVE ARMOK'S HALLS AND ROAM THE EARTH FOREVER!"
"Stop it or I will forced to use the force!"
"Let me do it!"
 The guard hitted Mate on the head, making him fall on his knees.
"Okay. G-Get me out of here."
The Hero whose name nobody really cares about helped Mate out of the tomb.
"Will you give my hammer back now?"
The speardwarf gave back the hammer to Mate. He stood still for a moment.
"Is our current overseer, Skaia II, in her office at the moment?"
"I... think."
Mate the 888th pushed the hero and ran away. The guard gave chase to him.
In the halls, the ex-overseer, Skaia II, was startled by a terrifying scream.
"SKAIA!!!"
Mate was running at him (her? I don't really know) hammer in the air.
"MY BLOODLINE SHALL BE AVANGED!!"

*Thud*
Mate was on the floor, the hero/captain of the guard/speardwarf was holding him. He didn't even got close to Skaia. An old dwarf could not outrun a trained trained soldier.
"NO! LET ME KILL HIM! LET ME AVANGE MY FAMILY! Let me do it... Let me kill him..."
He was crying now. His last son was looking at him from the other side of the room. Scared.
"GET OUT, SON! Go with your friends... Your father's okay... I'm okay."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwarves don't belive that death is the end. They know that it's the beginning of another life in Armok's halls. Worshipping a deity for a dwarf is not acknowledging its existence, but merely favouring it over the others. A dwarf that worships no gods is not one that does not belive in their existence, but one who does not seek their favor.
Dwarves know that they will see their loved ones again after death, but that doesn't make it easier for a dwarf to say goodbye to a loved one. Dwarves will get enraged, melancholic or just plain crazy if they can't take the death of a loved one.
Because dwarves know that a death is not the end unless you make it be the end. If you will not be strong enough say goodbye and move on, if you refuse to move and starve to death after a loved one's death, it will be the end.
But for most dwarves, the death of a loved one is not the end, it's not the beginning, either. But it's another of the phases of life, is an option to continue or to crumble under your own weight. It's something you must endure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate the 888th stopped crying. He dropped the hammer and waited for the speardwarf to let him get up.
"Look at you." He said to the guard. "When I first met you you were a young and worthless peasant sent on a mission that you weren't suppoused to survive. Now, you are a champion, a warrior to be reckoned. Do you have any family?"
"No, I never met my parents."
"I saw you grow from a scared peasant to a fearsome warrior. You would be a worthy person to carry the bloodline, if only by name.
"What? But... You still have one son!"
"Yes, but if he were to die..."
"Daddy? Why do you say that?"
"Oh, deal with it, all of us are equally likely to die! You should know that alredy, you are 1 year old!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
"He'll get over it. Now, as I was saying, I see in you a good dwarf. A dwarf worthy of legend. So now I ask you, abandon that peasant name that ties you to your past, and accept the name of Mate the 892nd! The uh... Emergency Heir!"
"Emergency heir? Um... I'm... Honored but... I don't think that I should..."
"You have no choice on the matter, I alredy lost my wife, two kids and had a weird trance with a guy talking about how we dwarves dealt with death. It's enough trauma for me, please don't force me to endure the punishment to passing my family name to my douchebag nephews or cousins."
"Okay... I guess I'll accept the name, then."
"Excellent! Now let me go get my son!"
He then run after Mate the 890th

Kogsak, now called Mate the 892nd, went back to duty.
"Crazy bastard."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:23:07 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 144