Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426795 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: Doomforests - Where Swords can be Hatchets (if they really want to)
« Reply #720 on: February 21, 2015, 11:20:01 pm »

I like how some people like Dark one, Salemuk and Drazoth use Doomforests as a part of a greater plan and people like me, Taupe and Skaia just worry about the future of the fort, either unaware of the grand scheme of things, or trying to defend it of those behid the curtain.
And then there are people like PsycoAngel and I, who just want the fort to be a safer better place. and ignore the neko-mancy cult stuff.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:35 am »

Hey, I only ignored it because I'm not there (yet). Psycho II is going to be going through some crazy shenanigans for sure.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2015, 08:36:14 am »

[OOC]

Hey, I only ignored it because I'm not there (yet). Psycho II is going to be going through some crazy shenanigans for sure.

I'm waiting with anticipation until the lord of soap descends upon accursed halls of Doomforests!

[/OOC]

Journal of Dark One

I spoiled the acids over the body and waited with anitcipation until it dissolves into slimy, pink mass. Then one of the disciples says:

- Master, there was made a mistake....
- What mistake?!
- It's not the body of Skaia, but a random dwarf... it was in Skaia's tomb!
- WHAT! NEXT TIME YOU'LL DISAPPOINT ME, IT WILL BE YOUR'S BODY ON THE ALTAR! BEGONE!

Who I have to work with! I grab a mug and take the substance inside of it for future experiments anyway. As I head for our library to search for the book left by Drazoth's, Urist stops me:

- Master, the vampire cult is ready! Dwarves are praying to the vampire mayor, and want to set him free. What to do?
- Wait patiently for my next orders. Found Drazoth line dwarves bodies?
- Yes, but....
- What again?
- As soon as we opened the tomb, the first disciple to touch the body was panick stricken, and started to take his clothes off. He wanted to suicide, but we stopped him. He's resting now in the dormitory.

I look at the mug with dissolved corpse which I'm holding in my hand, and say:

- Let's go.

When I arrived there I gave the injured disciple the mug and say:

- Drink it, this will help you.
- Ugh! That tastes horrible! What's this?
- Dissolved corpse.

As I say the last words, the disciple faints. I order him dragged to the altar and take a scroll out of my pocket.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And read the inscriptions. As my words echoes in the hall, the body starts to shudder. Disciples skin changes the colour to dark grey, green slime starts to spank out of his nostrils. His eyes were bulging and turned yellow, and lizard alike. He woke up in his new, transformed body, confused. He asks:

- What happened?
- I changed your form. You are now a minor corpse eater! Go to the Drazoth's tomb, and eat the body! The ward protecting it shouldn't have any effect on the undead.

I ordered some disciples to go with him. Having a corpse eater set free in this place would be great problem, especially if it's fresh after transformation. Speaking of transformations, my skin changed. It got pale and almost grey, with transparent slime covering it. Luckily it's not odorous. As I go to the library, something stops me. A bone messenger! I take a note from it.

And the messenger shatters into rat bones. A message from D3, I call Urist, he may know something about it.

- Yes master?
*I show him the note, and he says*
- I don't know.
- The history books mentioned dwarves called Drokles, and Drazoth.
- There were two Drazoth's, but both perished. We have the weird, rune-coded book.
- So it can be their descendant!

I go quickly to the library, and then laboratory I quickly set up a few days ago. I must prepare for the meeting with him. Since the tom had a protective ward on it, I must take something to protect myself by means other than dark rituals. I prepare a flask of high acidic substance, capable of dissolving even finest steel. Then I hear a call. As I go through the doorway I found myself on top of a tower. The master necromancer has brought me here. He asks about the current situation, and I give him report, the say:

- Master, I assure you that I take only the necessary steps to accomplish our quest!
- I'll be watching you Dark One. Try to fool me, and you'll end like Iamblichos, who's force to be happy woth our cooperation. In your report you've mentioned a dwarf called Drazoth?
- Yes master.
- A line of sorcerers famous amongst users of dark rituals. Offer him our services. Also, I'm interested in details of operation G.O.D, what would you need to accomplish it?
- A scroll of direct control.
- Take it. I have also another gift for you. Take them both and remember. You have preserved your free will only because you wanted to cooperate first. One bad move, and you'll end like Iamblichos!
- Yes master.

I reach for the scroll, and strange bird leg dismembered from the body. It's probably of raven origin. The skin is almost white, while claws are dark. Looking at it I feel like I'm looking inside a void. It absorbs light, and probably would help me to sneak more efficiently. I go back to the fortress. I go to the library and take the book left by Drazoth's. With the flask of acids and some scrolls I'm ready to go, but Urist stops me again:

- Master, we've got information about another cult gathering strenght in Doomforests, a MechaTechno sect!
- Infiltrate it. I have to go now.

He continues with me, but I say:

- I must go there alone.

I reach the meeting area, and hide within shadows. Prepared for anything that D3 could bring me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:38:16 am by Dark One »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »

3 enters the caverns, knife in hand.  He had spoken with TechnoXan, and was now here to complete his entry trial.  Kill, but not maim three crundles and bring the bodies to the Sect's base for study.  He has three hours with which to do so.  He's supposed to use only the knife he was given, but he doesn't think that Techno would be able to tell if he had some assistance.  Reaching into his pockets, he pull out some rat shaped things.  He removes their teeth, seeing as the wounds created so would be easily distinguished from knife wounds, but he figures that their claws won't be.  He places them on the ground, engraves the runes on their heads.
Touching the runes, he mutters, the glow appears and fades, then his minions come to life.  He goes with them, figuring it the fastest way to accomplish the task.

About an hour later, the crundles are dead, and in reasonably good condition.  As he deactivates his tools, he hears a voice address him.

"There you are 3, I was worried that I would have to go up to the fort to speak to you."
"Ah, 7.  Good to see you brother.  I take it you've completed the escape tunnel."
"Yeah.  Thanks for warning me about the Forgotten Ones you have here.  I would have likely tunneled out near them if you hadn't.  I'll show you where the escape is.  It leads to a safe place a few miles out."
"Alright.  Make it quick though.  I have to have these back in two hours in order to gain some valuable allies."

After being shown the escape tunnel, 3 returns to TechnoXan with the crundles.  They then sit and talk about the Sect's plans. 
"Your plans are rather interesting TechnoXan.  I had an idea similar to plan B, though a bit larger in scale.  I think we should focus on that one.  How we will get the rest of the fort to assist I don't know.  Perhaps we should work on elevating on of our members to the position of overseer.  That way we can have our way with little interference.  I must go now.  Till we meet again, please consider my suggestions."

With that he leaves, and heads to his room.  He grabs some things from his drawers and heads up to Old DoomForests.  He reaches the dining hall, and looks around, eyes glowing as he does so.  While necromancers may be able to sometimes hide from normal sight, it is nign impossible for something to conceal their energy.  Confidant that he is alone, he scatters some tools under the tables near the door, and some more under the tables at the other end.  With that done, he sits done on a chair, pulls out the bottle of rum, and waits.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:36 pm »

OOC: Can’t wait to see what soap induced madness will incur on you turn PsycoAngel! ;D

The Continued Journal of TechnoXan, The Dwarf

Entry Nine:
It happened! Drazoth III has passed his trials with one hour left! I know have three fresh Crundle specimens. I have ordered my acolyte to quickly preform the autopsies. Even the small amount of information I have gathered is stupendous! These creatures show a remarkable ability to learn, that may even be considered as intelligent as a young Kobold! I will continue to study these exotic creatures. Drazoth III left shortly after for some personal business in the core of the fortress. He earned it. Only a small knife in the caverns, actually hunting the beasts. We had a very informative discussion involving the current Mecha plans, specifically B. I am excited about his ideas on incorporating failsafe’s  for the Mecha plan B compound involving some ingenious uses of magma.  I have altered the the Mecha plan accordingly. The Mechatechno sect has a very powerful ally, nay, member! He brought up the question of how will we sway the vast majority of the populous of Doomforests into the Mechatechno sect. Or at least begin work on some of the Mecha plans. I have a temporary solution, get a large enough following that the foul beasts inside and out the fortress would be unable to accomplish their evil goals. we talked about needing a way to quickly accomplish the Mecha plans. And he suggested putting a high ranking member of the Mechatechno sect in a place of power, such as Overseer. As for who would the head of at least our short term power grab, we decided on having the Mechatechno sects new devout, Drazoth III himself become the figure head for the position. I am the Master-Engineer, undisputed leader, and founder of the Mechatechno sect, but I feel my cover as only a talented armorer is in danger of failing. An open bid for power by an estranged group would scare off potential acolytes. No, until the sect has more members, I can’t go in myself for the position as overseer. I trust Drazoth III though and he will serve the sect well!

Entry Ten:
Progress is going splendidly on my acolyte, he is almost ready to carry out some of my more modest plans. Such as my research into Crundles. Sadly his structural integrity studies are sorely lacking as of now. But Zurek is marginally intelligent and he is my honorary Head Acolyte. In other member related news, I have also contacted another hopeful for the sect. He will undergo his trials in two days’ time. I can only hope this lowly fodder dwarf does marginally as well as Drazoth III. The sect is getting bigger and more powerful. And as the sect gets more powerful, the corrupt and illogical cults of worship must be weakened! This “Vampire cult” is most worrying. While converting the population through successful and ingeniousness Mecha Plans will work, the cults are growing in power and public activity. I am personally investigating the leader, and I have narrowed it down to five dwarfs. The most powerful of which is a disturbing Dwarf called Dark One. I am formulating a plan that will deal a great blow to this cult. I must consult with Drazoth III on what actions he can take to help the plan. The Politica-Plan is already in motion.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:04:03 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:01 am »

I'm actually really excited for Taupe's return. Like way excited. Minotaur-in-my-pants excited. Crundle-cake excited. Dark-cult of-unknown-figures-trying-to-kill-me excited.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:12 am »

Taupe did seem to summon the crapstorm rather well.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 23, 2015, 09:35:38 am »

Oh yeah, forgot to ask: can someone put me up for another year on the list?
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:24 pm »

I have a forgotten beast question as well: Are there any relatives of Le Grand Soaper present in the fort? If so, find one with a decent personality, name em PsychoAngel II and make their profession "Health Inspector." If not, we will wait and see if a worthy Psycho II moves in with a migrant wave.

Also: I feel like someone needs to bring about "The Doomforests Inquisition" with all these cults forming. It'll be like bringing Ferdinand and Isabella to Dwarf Fortress!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:05:25 pm by PsychoAngel »
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:50 pm »

I have a forgotten beast question as well: Are there any relatives of Le Grand Soaper present in the fort? If so, find one with a decent personality, name em PsychoAngel II and make their profession "Health Inspector." If not, we will wait and see if a worthy Psycho II moves in with a migrant wave.

Also: I feel like someone needs to bring about "The Doomforests Inquisition" with all these cults forming. It'll be like bringing Ferdinand and Isabella to Dwarf Fortress!
I'm on it.
Diary of a Mad Minion
It has been brought to my attention that there are heretics in this fort. These heathens reject Armoks light, and preform unholy rituals in the name of their False Idols. I suspect that they were behind the death of the Queen. She was very unhappy before her "Suicide by Macedwarf", and Skia II was seen to her just before her death. I must hunt them down, and make them repent for their sins! But I cannot just order the guards to attack the overseer without any evidence. After all, if I am seen "interrogating" a dwarf for no reason, the fort will turn on me. For now, I will observe, and one day, justice will be served.
After all, no one expects the Spanish Dwarven Inquisition.

OOC:

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2015, 02:49:59 pm »

Apart from Maxccat, who needed dwarfing?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:58 pm »

I already dwarfed myself before the year ended. There were many deaths: it would be better to count who survived.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2015, 04:58:10 pm »

I'm on it.
Diary of a Mad Minion
It has been brought to my attention that there are heretics in this fort. These heathens reject Armoks light, and preform unholy rituals in the name of their False Idols. I suspect that they were behind the death of the Queen. She was very unhappy before her "Suicide by Macedwarf", and Skia II was seen to her just before her death. I must hunt them down, and make them repent for their sins! But I cannot just order the guards to attack the overseer without any evidence. After all, if I am seen "interrogating" a dwarf for no reason, the fort will turn on me. For now, I will observe, and one day, justice will be served.
After all, no one expects the Spanish Dwarven Inquisition.

OOC:
Oh, yeah! Let's purge those heretics!
And by purge I of course mean torture them to death.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »

Heretics? HERETICS!?!?   ;D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2015, 05:23:55 pm »

Heretics are those that have strayed from Armok's holy light. They conspire, they sulk and hide, they worship Creatures of the Night*, and worst of all, they consort with the Dead. Maxcat I may have been content to ignore these Unholy events, but Maxcat II will not stand for it!
Some of the heretics may be guided back to Armoks Embrace, and may baptize themselves in his Blood. Those he spare will be born again, and everyone else will melt.
Therefore, someone must build a chamber that can have a small** amount of magma run through it, and anyone that survives it will be favored by Armok.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xmz-p9FYW8
**just let 1/7 magma on the floor, and drop dwarves in via hatch/bridge. (A nearby pool is optional)
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 144