Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426819 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomforests - Where Swords can be Hatchets (if they really want to)
« Reply #735 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »

I applaud the creation of a counter-faction!

Here is the latest DFMA: ADD SOME POINTS OF INTEREST IF YOU WISH

I've added Maxcat to the turnlist.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:39 pm »

I checked out the map, and added some points.
Someone should probably expand the refuse room again: It looks kinda full, and I don't want rotting food to be left in the hallways.

Also, figuring out what all the bridges hook up to is going to be a lot of fun for the next overseer.

I made that myself in about 10m. I was in a mood.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2015, 10:10:44 pm »

Or we could have been responsible individuals by utilizing the "Notes" feature. Eh, this IS Doomforests, so I suppose I can't expect a whole lot. Too much other crap going on, can't pause the game for the two seconds it takes to put a note down. Then again, it's a really minor feature because people won't usually use it in a personal fort, so I guess it's okay that it slipped your mind.

So label the levers when you find out what they do and when you make them. That is the moral of the story.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:01 pm »

Then someone gets the brilliant idea "hey, I'll put the levers on the level above/below what they connect to, that makes perfect sense!" until they get a situation where they can't do that, so t hey're like "ok, I know, I'll make the lever out of the same stuff as the thing it controls!", then they'll have a time where they can't do that, so they're like "oh, I'll put a note for these new ones" and then they'll realize they don't know how to control one of their older bridges and build a new lever for it and add a note that mentions the other lever but mysteriously omits the reference to which bridge it controls.

*dun dun*

Doomforests

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 25, 2015, 05:00:41 am »

Levers seem to be a main source of multi-player fortresses consternation. Often have I read accounts of fortress destruction or murderous mayhem starting with the fairly harmless phrase of, "I'm not sure what any of these levers do."

I remember adding notes for my three levers back in turn two. Archaic though they may be, at least people know that they aren't useful.

Also, thanks for adding PoI's! I think it really helps people follow along with our stories. I was also wondering just what that statue garden was meant to be, sitting all precarious and directly above the magma pit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:04:06 am by Salmeuk »

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:23 am »

I've been thinking, Maxcat, your way of dealing with heretics sounds a lot like that whole trial by water thing they did to "witches" way back when.    ;D. Now it's just trial by lava in the name of Armok!  :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:43:50 am by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:35 am »

I like making my statue gardens/slab rooms into pseudo bunkers. Usually, there is a dwarf on break in one of them, and if there is food/pick, then they can dig their way to other survivors. My first forts usually ended by flooding, so I have come to appreciate the bunkers.

As for Heretics: you are 100% correct, TechnoXan. Those that are holy will survive, and those that are not will be greasy spots on the floor. I suppose you could try the trial in 7/7 water, but that would be lame. After all, magma makes things better.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 25, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

[OOC] I'd like to thank Drazoth, who helped me greatly to write this up. [/OOC]

I went out of my chambers leaving curious disciples behind. I double checked if they were following me, but I couldn't sense anyone behind me. I used secret passages carved within the walls, and quickly found myself in Old Doomforests. I head for the meeting spot. As I come closer, I notice someone sitting on a chair and chugging ale. I try to keep a safe distance, and say:

- I have come.

- Ah, I was wondering when you would arrive.  You don't look well, then again you are a necromancer, so I guess looking like a corpse fits with the job.

- It's just the beginning of the transformational processes. I have brought something with me. Maybe it belonged to someone you know?

*I take a leather bound book and throw it close to the chair. The book opens on a page covered with runes. It was emanating with curious light.*

- Ah, yes.  I've been looking for that.  When I arrived, I went to claim the property of my deceased predecessor.  When I looked in the journal he left, most of the pages had been ripped out.  I figured he had tried to destroy them to prevent your people from acquiring it.  It seems he failed.  Thanks for returning it though.

*He picks up the book, closes it and put's it in his pocket*

- Tell me, what do you know of my family?

*At this point the bottle of rum is empty.  He puts in his pocket and leans back in his chair, stroking his beard thoughtfully.*

- Our history books mentioned only that they were present here. The only other information I had were that they both died here, slain either by forgotten beasts or by other horrible means. I can raise their spirits so you could speak with them, but the ward is blocking my powers over their bodies.

*He seemed enraged by my offer*

- The ward is mine!  If you want my assistance, you are going to have to follow certain rules.  The first is this, Do not defile the graves of my family.  Understand?"

- My disciples are ready to help you , until you don't endanger our society and goals.

- Good.  Now, before we discuss my plans to help you, tell me, what do you know of the MechaTechno sect?

- The sect has appeared with last migrant wave. I haven't readen the report that disciples gave me yet, as our meeting was much more important than some notes.

- I see.  I'll tell you this much now.  They don't pose a threat to either of us.  In fact, some of their plans happen to fit nicely into my own.

*Suddenly I realise that there is a ghoul set free, to defile the grave of Drazoth's predecessors. I say*

- Do your ward on tombs work on ghouls?

*He seemed surprised and worried at the same time, yet he tried to not express this*

- I put something in each tomb to protect it in a more physical manner.  However, I don't think it will work on ghouls.  I can help send a message to your people so they can stop it though.

*He pulls out some paper and a pen and gives them to me.*

- Just write your message here and I will deal with delivery.

*I take a pen and paper, and start writing inscriptions. ISTHAR AR'KHAT ENURR. The paper glows for a while with golden-red light. I read the inscription aloud and say*

- This incantation should stop any ghoul within this settlement from defiling graves, and force them to go back to our chambers. Is there anything you might need? Scrolls? Acids? Undead slaves? Portal keys?

- Not at the moment.

*He sits back down in his chair.* 

- Now let's discuss my idea to help your sect.  Tell me, what do you know about hell?

- The hell?

*I'm somehow unable to move. Black vortexes of energy appear in my sight. I'm falling down the endless pit, but land safely on the scorched ground. Then I see a flash. I'm holding a torch, and a book with title so ominous and horrifying that I can't recall it's name. I'm standing near a lever, and push it. Then I descend a staircase and enter the vast expanses of burning land. I see a magma sea above my head, yet it's not falling down. Then a flash of bright red light, and I'm back in Old Doomforests. Then I say*

- I was there before, yet I can't recall what happened there.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 25, 2015, 06:06:07 pm »

Looking at the current DFMA, it's now obvious that my internal path into the farms of Old Doomforests is blocked due to the large cliff when someone dug out the farms to make trees. Basically everything in there is Forbidden, so build a ramp and the treasure is yours!
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 25, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

Interesting fact, my antivirus decided out of the blue that removing half the files in my Doomforest install folder was a great idea. It refuses to restore them, and the save is currently unplayable. I could start from the very beginning with a fresh install and the save from last turn, but instead I think I'll just pass on my turn to the next person in line. I won't have time to play in the upcoming days, and it's better if this thread remains active.

Sorry about that.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2015, 07:01:29 pm »

Aww, really sorry for you!!  :'(    Too bad though. But it's not your fault. So no problem dude!  :)

EDIT: How did you U.S.E Smunstu?  (who died?   ;))
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:19:25 pm by TechnoXan »
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »

It kind of was. I usually close the antivirus before playing to avoid such a mess, but I forgot the PC had just restarted to install updates and that it was back on.

here is what happened during my deleted turn: We took stuff from doomforests, and dumped it in lava. that's it. I also used smunstu, an arrow stockpile, and a fortification dug into the vamp,s cell to murder him. Feel free to repeat the process in my name if you want.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »

[OOC] First off, I'd like to thank Dark One for his help writing this.  This post will be mostly similar to his, but from 3's perspective, with some more added after where he stopped.  Also, sorry to hear that you'll be skipping Taupe.  your first turn was one of the fort's most epic moments.
[/OOC]

After some time waiting in the old hall, the doors on the opposite end open, and a shadowy figure enters.  He closes the door behind him then turns to 3.  His face is extremely pale, with an unnatural sheen, giving the appearance of corpse starting to decay. 
"I have come."

"Ah, I was wondering when you would arrive.  You don't look well, then again you are a necromancer, so I guess looking like a corpse fits with the job."

"It's just the beginning of the transformational processes. I have brought something with me. Maybe it belonged to someone you know?"

He reaches into his cloak and pulls out a book, bound in leather, and tosses it onto the table near me.  It lands open, pages covered in the family's runes.  The runes emit a dull red glow.
"Ah, yes.  I've been looking for that.  When I arrived, I went to claim the property of my deceased predecessor.  When I looked in the journal he left, most of the pages had been ripped out.  I figured he had tried to destroy them to prevent your people from acquiring it.  It seems he failed.  Thanks for returning it though. "
3 closes the book and put's away in his pocket.  After that he takes another drink from his bottle, noticing that it was nearly empty.  He then asks the Dark One about his group, and their goals here.  Once he is satisfied, he decides to find out how well informed his guest is about his own goals.
"Tell me, what do you know of my family?"
At this point he puts the bottle away, making a mental note to refill it later.

"Our history books mentioned only that they were present here. The only other information I had were that they both died here, slain either by forgotten beasts or by other horrible means. I can raise their spirits so you could speak with them, but the ward is blocking my powers over their bodies."

At those last words 3 begins to tremble with rage. "The ward is mine!  If you want my assistance, you are going to have to follow certain rules.  The first is this, Do not defile the graves of my family.  Understand?" At this Dark One drops the idea and says he is willing to serve, for now at least.  3 decides to further test his knowledge. " Good.  Now, before we discuss my plans to help you, tell me, what do you know of the MechaTechno sect?"

"The sect has appeared with last migrant wave. I haven't read the report that disciples gave me yet, as our meeting was much more important than some notes."

Smiling to himself, 3 replies" I see.  I'll tell you this much now.  They don't pose a threat to either of us.  In fact, some of their plans happen to fit nicely into my own."  Comforted that the Dark One doesn't know to much about things he thinks for a moment about how best to proceed.  He gives the Dark One an order about the Sect, to which he says he already intended to do it anyway.  They then discuss the vampire cult briefly.  At that point, a look of worry quickly crosses the Dark One's face and he asks, "Do your wards on tombs work on ghouls?"

Surprised by his sudden question, and concerned about it's implications, 3 says "I put something in each tomb to protect it in a more physical manner.  However, I don't think it will work on ghouls.  I can help send a message to your people so they can stop it though."  3 pulls out paper and a pen and hands them to the Dark One.  "Just write your message and I will deal with delivery."

Dark One quickly writes some mystical words on the paper and says them aloud.  He then offer 3 other mystical things, which 3 rejects.  Sitting back down in his chair, he asks the Dark One "What do you know about hell?"

"The hell?" the Dark One says with surprise.  He then gets that distant look people tend to get right before fainting.  After a moment he recovers and says "I was there before, yet I can't recall what happened there."

"Most interesting.  I take it you aren't speaking metaphorically." After containing his surprise at the Dark One's statement, 3 then tell the Dark One about the source of his family's magical power, and how hell relates to it.  He then outlines an idea for harvesting energy from hell.  After the Dark One has heard the idea, he offers some improvements and agrees to the plan.  ""Good to see that you approve.  I'll work on the design and send it to you for any changes that might need to be made.  I think that between your person and myself  we should be able to get the MechaTechno to assist in building it.  However, nothing will get built if we do not have the political power needed to convince the rest of the fort to help provide the supplies and man power.  While the current overseer is a good dwarf, I don't think it likely that we'll be able to convince him to help us.  I'll try speaking to him just in case, but I think the soundest route would to make certain that his replacement is someone who will listen to us."  3 pauses and thinks for a moment.  "Perhaps we will use one of your people, as they are most likely to be obedient.  Any ideas?"

The Dark One thinks for a moment, then replies with "I have thought about it. That's what operation G.O.D was meant. I can spoil some details about it, but i think it won't be necessary. I have a disciple called Urist, he is the most loyal and hard working disciple I have.... even though he's still a lazy bastard!"

"That might work, though if you think him lazy than perhaps there is someone else we could use."

After some more consideration, the Dark One replies, "There's also someone. Iamblichos! A spirit contained within body of ranger! It's the best candidate, as he has no free will, and we will have true power over him!"

"That sounds more useful.  Very well then, I think we're done here, unless there's anything else you think we need to discuss."

The Dark One brings up a minor problem, however it is one that could grow more serious later.  After they've made plans to  deal with it, the Dark One leaves.  3 waits a moment after he is gone, then quickly gathers the tools he placed under the tables earlier.  Once he finished picking them up, he then leaves the hall and returns to New DoomForests, headed toward the MechaTechno meeting place to bring TechnoXan up to speed on what was discussed.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:34 pm »

I like making my statue gardens/slab rooms into pseudo bunkers. Usually, there is a dwarf on break in one of them, and if there is food/pick, then they can dig their way to other survivors. My first forts usually ended by flooding, so I have come to appreciate the bunkers.

As for Heretics: you are 100% correct, TechnoXan. Those that are holy will survive, and those that are not will be greasy spots on the floor. I suppose you could try the trial in 7/7 water, but that would be lame. After all, magma makes things better.
I like this inquisition thing that is starting to come into existence. Now that my character's wife and youger son have died and he has to be celibate forever, he may give himself to Armok, as a priest or some kind of inquisitor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IC]

An old dwarf, dressed in red stepped close to the magma lake, on the same plataform Skaia's tomb. He was holding a crundle by the leg. The poor thing had suffered a severe beating and it was kicking and screaming, trying to escape. But it was useless. The dwarf punched it in the face, making him pass out. He started praying.
"Let your blood save the soul of the righteous and purge the soul of the unholy. May your flesh become their tomb, and let it become our cradle. Let your breath become their fear and our salvation. May your name be claimed from every corner of the world.
Armok. God of blood. God of life. PURGE THIS DEVIANT SOUL!"

The crundle started to wake up as the dwarf lost his grip on it, letting it fall to the magma lake, screaming. His fear stopped instantly as he touched the molten stone that was Armok's blood.
"This foolish creature was not worth Armok's salvation! That's why he burnt and exploded! Unlike righteous dwarves, who get absorbed by Armok's blood to join him on his halls, the unholy and the unworthy will suffer His wrath! This is His word!"
The dwarf grabbed a sharp stone, Armok's flesh, and made a cut on his finger with it. Two drops of blood came from that wound and fell into the magma, mixing his blood woth Armok's blood, sealing his oath of eternal fate towards the God of Blood, forever denying the bloodsucking fiends, the demons and their hordes of goblinoid followers and wichever deity dared to stand aganist Armok and His followers.
As the drops of dwarf blood touched the lava, turning into steam, the dwarf covered his wounded finger with red cloth.*
"Amen."
Mate the 888th dropped the sharp rock into the magma and walked away, followed by Mate the 890th and his adopted son, the resident speardwarf, Mate the 892nd. He was now, with Armok as withness, a priest. And he would not betray his oath, even if that meant dying while trying to make every single heretic be absorbed by Armok's blood. No matter what the price was. He would not let them win. He would not let them become strong. Or stronger than what they alredy were.
For that is His will.
Amen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: As you may or may not have guessed, when my turn starts the fort will turn into a theocracy. Not a Vatican-style theocracy, a !!FUN!! theocracy.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 26, 2015, 07:52:27 am »

I have fetched the file.  This weekend will most likely be the earliest that madcap lunacy  FUN can be had.  Stay tuned... and what's that smell?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 144