Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426839 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

Is fps really really bad? Anyone think we should do/think about doing some dfhack garbage removal? I've never done it but wouldent it speed up gameplay? I'm just thinking out loud here by the way.  ;)
Yeah, when my turn started and the fort was literally covered in several layers of gore, so I wrote "cleanall" in DFhack. It helped a lot, before using the hack the fort was at 5 fps all the time, after that it was a nice 20-30ish fps.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile

Wow, nice! Think we should do it? Maybe we could get a poll up on the subject. I mean it could really make it both easier for the player and faster (maybe?   :o) updates for the others. It deosent seem to be cheaty if it's just to get rid of blood, vomit, and socks. Ideas?  :D
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

Let's just run the command, and write it off as the dwarves no longer paying attention to gore and leftover blood that could be there.

Alternately, I'm sure one of the many cultists will find a way to explain how/why he siphoned all the blood for some ritual or another.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not really a believer in using DFHack to get rid of objects, but I firmly support "clean all".  It's unrealistic for filth to just stay, year after year, and never wear away.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome! I'll ask Dark One (if he hasent already seen it) when I get back from school to see if he has a zombie ritual that needs blood.  ;D   Yeah in my own forts I am thinking of getting rid of the perpetual blood/vomit. Ooh what a pretty hall, I love the clean floo-oh well. I guess will just be walking on two or three piles of vomit to get to lunch. (Hurl! That sounds gross....)
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

Awesome! I'll ask Dark One (if he hasent already seen it) when I get back from school to see if he has a zombie ritual that needs blood.  ;D   Yeah in my own forts I am thinking of getting rid of the perpetual blood/vomit. Ooh what a pretty hall, I love the clean floo-oh well. I guess will just be walking on two or three piles of vomit to get to lunch. (Hurl! That sounds gross....)
"Clearall" will only get rid of contaminants (like blood, vomit, snow, etc), but the corpses and severed arms will stay, only that completely dry.
So, yeah, you'd still stumble over your dead uncle while going for lunch, only that your shoes will not get soaked on his various fluids.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st Limestone 1052 1061

Today I learned that the “wisdom god” is a massive asshole. There was no note. Just my journal, which has been filled to the brim with useless engineering schematics, strange glyphs, and doodles of a rather phallic nature. Luckily, most of the entries have been dated, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve been dead for nine years. And this isn’t some metaphorical born-again type deal. I’ve literally been dead for nine years. And they didn’t even think to bury me! Bunch of aristcr

“The hell are you doing in my office?” interrupted an incredibly old, and incredibly enraged engineer.

Normally, the elderly wouldn’t be so much of a threat to me, but this one, this one is different.
I hesitated, realizing what I was about to say was completely ludicrous.

“Would you believe me if I told you that the god of all knowledge has sent me back as the instrument of armageddon to purge the wicked?”

A thick silence filled the room. Perhaps that was a poor choice of words.

The engineer looked unimpressed.  “What?”

Perhaps it’s time I took a different approach. After all, I need all the allies I can get if I’m to deal with the ever descriptive “devil worship.”

“Actually, do you have a minute to discuss our lord and savi-”

“Get out.”

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Finishing the last of my notes seems like a good idea right about now.

1st Limestone 1052 1061

Today I learned that the “wisdom god” is a massive asshole. There was no note. Just my journal, which has been filled to the brim with useless engineering schematics, strange glyphs, and doodles of a rather phallic nature. Luckily, most of the entries have been dated, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve been dead for nine years. And this isn’t some metaphorical born-again type deal. I’ve literally been dead for nine years. And they didn’t even think to bury me! Bunch of aristcr

The engineer Xan is going to need need a bit more convincing. I’ll work on it later. Right now, I need to reclaim my position of overseer. We’ll see how that goes.

P.S. Don’t forget to look at those scraps and schematics, maybe you can get someone to translate.

3rd Limestone, 1061

So apparently, the last overseer actually stepped down! So thankfully, I don’t have to assassinate anyone. Though, the whole governmental system here is in shambles. I discovered that today when I watched what they call a “cultist” brain someone with a granite boulder, and run off. Turns out, everyone’s too busy battling dark gods, and sacrificing babies to even consider applying for overseer. So with that, I applied, and rather reluctantly, they allowed me control of a massive underground fortress. To be honest, I’m a little suspicious at how easy this was. They just up and gave it to me. This has to have been arranged somehow. Oh well. For now, I will spend the next few weeks learning about what’s changed over the nine years, and working on getting this dead-language translated. That, and consider obtaining a scarf. The neck-hole is getting some strange looks.

5th Limestone, 1061

THERE’S A GIANT BRONZE TERMITE OUTSIDE! Why is it ALWAYS giant animals?! My first act as overseer is to construct what I like to call “Giant room filled with retractable spears”. This will be used in project “lure the termite into the room and stab it to death”. I quite like my ideas.

10th Limestone, 1061

Something is very odd about this place. Time broke free of its restraints and now moves as it pleases. Seconds seem like hours, though everyone is carrying on as they normally would. It seems as if only I notice.

17th Limestone, 1061
The caravan has arrived! I hope they like our various “exotic” art pieces made from dead things!

23rd Limestone, 1061

Other than building roofs over various buildings and filling a room with deadly spikes, not much has been going on.

7th Sandstone, 1061

Today I

“Why do you always do that?”
Startled by the sudden voice, I shut my journal and look around, only to see a rather bored looking forge worker.

“Do what?” I asked, feigning ignorance. He doesn’t need to know where I’m putting the bodies, and he DEFINITELY doesn’t need to know about the tower.

“Always sitting there, writing a few meaningless sentences. No one’s ever going to read that, so what’s the point?”

Oh, he meant that thing. This of course, was much easier to explain.

“See, it’s an overseer thing. You craftsdwarves wouldn't really understand.” I said, attempting to sound as least pompous as possible, failing horribly.

He scoffed and walked off.

I don’t think they like me very much, and I’m beginning to realize why.

17th Sandstone, 1061

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The spear room is finished! The only problem now is finding someone stupid enough to open the door leading to the massive termite. Now who should I pick? I think I know some people who have seen far too much. Hmm… Maybe that engineer those few weeks back can help me with this issue. Dodging spears isn’t TOO hard. I'll leave him little gaps to run to when the iron death fills the room, assuming he survives the termite of course.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ethan, great post! I'm a little confused on what happened with me, could you maybe pm me about it? Just for my journals.   :)

PS:spring break!! I'll probebly be more avalible to post when new updates come.  :D

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Currently on page 20, one of my peasants made a shale earring called The Land of Suffering. Pretty good description for this fort, I would say.

I specialize in cleaning up succession forts. Put me on the list.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

"Chief Inquisitor!"
"What it it, Mothram?"
"There's a new overseer! He just appeared out of nowhere and took over!"
"Where is he?"
"There! Scribbling in his journal like an idiot!"
The Chief inquisitor hides his journal from his followers' sight and looks at the old dwarf walking around outside.
"He hase a hole in the neck."
"Yeah, he said that he was brought back to life to purge the wicked or something."
"So, he's either an evil abomination or a crazy bastard... Probably the first option. Keep an eye on him."
"Yes, sir!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woo. Finished the thread. I liked the part where lots of dwarves died.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soooo, all of it?  :P

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

I liked the part where lots of dwarves died.
Sigged.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out which part he means.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been sigged, woo.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 144