Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426956 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1065 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:57 pm »

So, I just got a message apparently sent 4 days ago that a turn is now open. Is one still open, I'd be happy to play. If one isn't, can I be put back on the list?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 23, 2015, 12:15:25 am »

Neither replied to my PM's, so both PyroTechno and Mate888 are off the list. If you guys show up again I can add you back on.

. . . Maxcat, are you there? Your turn has arrived! Everyone is gone!

Just saw this post. I'd love to be added back in. Sorry for not responding earlier. I just hope my computer can handle however much of a clusterfuck this has become.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 23, 2015, 02:36:22 am »

This might be a little confusing for Maxcat, but since PyroTechno showed up and Maxcat hasn't I think you should just take the turn! Or so I consider.

Despite it's age (perhaps due to), this fortress still has a lot of interested folks. Turns have been sparse for ages, and we're all anxious for an update.

. . .

Is Smuntsu still around? Our Minister of Agriculture?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 23, 2015, 02:46:58 am »

This might be a little confusing for Maxcat, but since PyroTechno showed up and Maxcat hasn't I think you should just take the turn! Or so I consider.

Despite it's age (perhaps due to), this fortress still has a lot of interested folks. Turns have been sparse for ages, and we're all anxious for an update.

. . .

Is Smuntsu still around? Our Minister of Agriculture?

The latest save is PsychoAngel's on page 69, right?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 23, 2015, 03:32:48 am »

This post.

I fixed the hyperlink, Psycho (I can't believe I failed to notice the massive "Second Journal" when I was looking for your first post). I've also updated the OP with some fancy fancy. Whatever that means.

Good concept for a poll, anyone?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 23, 2015, 05:37:16 am »

Hurray, it lives!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 23, 2015, 05:39:35 am »

Okay, first things first - I use the DF Starter Pack and Dwarf Therapist. The Starter Pack, specifically, does a couple things to help my computer not explode, but it should affect anything too much, so yeah...

Now, what's going on he - oh hell no.

Everything is clusterfuck. There is nothing that is not clusterfuck.

No, really. Where is everything?

I don't think I have any hope of understanding even a quarter of this mess, so I'm just going to let it run for a while and try not to let everything die.

23rd Limestone, 1062

The point where I got the save. Nothing has exploded yet, by definition.

9 FPS sucks, by the way. It's even worse than the cancellation spam. The "item misplaced" thing is presumably dwarves trying to get at the stuff in Old Doomforests.

24th Limestone, 1062

This is going to be a long year.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 23, 2015, 05:50:27 am »

What does it mean when it says that my miners have defaced a Kib Encadol?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:37 am »

25th Limestone, 1062

I almost decided to build a farm in the soil layer near the top of the map.

Then I saw the ghosts.

26th Limestone, 1062

I found a Mason's Workshop and told it to build rock slabs on repeat. I assume we have rock. And masons.

I then ordered the miners that I assume we have to mine out an 11x11 room near the Mason's Workshop to put the slabs in.

Then I told the other 3 Mason's Workshops next to the first one to also make rock slabs on repeat.

27th Limestone, 1062

I've had this running the entire time I've been typing this.

Apparently my miners have defaced a Kib Encadol. Very descriptive, game. You told me exactly what happened there. 100% transparency. Not confusing at all.

I'm assuming from the farming-related cancellation spam that we have operating farms somewhere. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about building those.

28th Limestone, 1062

The slab room is being dug by about 127 million miners at the same time. This leads me to notice that there are 30 idlers. 30!

Also, a liaison from the Mountainhomes. He has apparently "come empowered to elevate this land in the eyes of our realm". I've never seen that before, actually.

I'm just going to leave the trading thing alone and hope for the best.

Apparently the mayor is named Pencil_Art.

1st Sandstone, 1062

It's more of a testament to the amount of miners we have than to their speed that the slab room is almost done.

There is now hospital-related cancellation spam. I have no idea where the hospital is or how to solve the problem.

2nd Sandstone, 1062

Apparently this place has over 3.7 million created wealth. That's nice for it.

Also, I really hope this place is hermetically sealed, because if even a single monster gets in, I won't be able to do a damn thing about it.

I start putting down slabs in the slab room. I hope I'm doing this right.

I had the game paused for about half a minute. I couldn't tell the difference.

3rd Sandstone, 1062

Yes, Mestthos, we know you think you need cave wheat seeds.

4th Sandstone, 1062

So, I just wiki'd it, and yes, I'm doing it wrong.

I order some memorials engraved in the Craftdwarf's Workshops just to the south of the Mason's Workshops.

Also, we've apparently been made a duchy.

I am apparently a noob, even though I've created many successful forts in DF2012 and 2014. I suppose it's because things have never gone absolutely, hilariously wrong for me before - except for that one time with the acid rain.

But I would like to know one thing - what sane person would make this place anything other than a radioactive crater, much less a DUCHY?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:46 am »

The cavern layers are sealed off, right?

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 23, 2015, 07:19:09 am »

4th Sandstone, 1062

So, a duchy. If the duchess or whatever dies, I will carve a memorial and move on.

5th Sandstone, 1062

Do these memorial carving options go away after you make them, or am I just making a bunch of redundant ones?

The weather alert in the bottom left tells me that it's snowing outside.

6th Sandstone, 1062

So, I hear that this place has a working soap industry somewhere.

Where is it, exactly?

And, of course, the question that you really want to hear - "What does this lever do?"

The Forgotten Beast Ayanu Irulolathe enaarani has come! A gigantic hairy crab. It has a long, swinging trunk and it has a bloated body. Its gold hair is short and even. Beware its noxious secretions!

I really, really hope that cavern layer is sealed off.

7th Sandstone, 1062

Of course, the problem now is, it summoned me to the FB's location when it appeared, so now I have no idea where I am.

Okay, found it.

So.

I'm here trying to build these slabs, right? But the engraved ones aren't differentiated. So I have no way to tell which is which.

8th Sandstone, 1062

Taking a quick look at the Reports list, there is apparently a crundle attacking a Pump Operator and a Siege Engineer somewhere.

I'm just going to let this run for a while while I get a sandwich or something.

14th Sandstone, 1062

Some migrants arrived and paused the game. They're all dead, right? I think that's how it works...

20th Sandstone, 1062

Okay, it's fairly obvious by now that I'm not going to be able to actually contribute to this in any way.

I advanced time for about a month or so, mined out a random room, made some pointless slabs, successfully ignored a Forgotten Beast, and that's about it.

The save is here.

2 weeks? Try 2 hours...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 23, 2015, 07:22:20 am »

I don't really understand why I had so much of a problem. Like I said, this is hardly my first time playing DF. This isn't even my first succession fort. But I was almost as crippled as someone who didn't even know half of the key bindings.

It's kind of disappointing, to be honest.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:06 am »

I live,
And so is this thread. I am downloading the save now, and will start this evening.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:38 am »

I don't really understand why I had so much of a problem. Like I said, this is hardly my first time playing DF. This isn't even my first succession fort. But I was almost as crippled as someone who didn't even know half of the key bindings.

It's kind of disappointing, to be honest.

Ahaha this is kind of horrifying and hilarious all at once. I appreciate your honesty, though I really wonder if we couldn't help you make it through things. Whatever the case, the pace is on!

BTW, when the game says, "You have defaced an Erin Bulbon" or something of that sort, it means you've destroyed an engraving done by Erin Bulbon, or whomever the artist was. Like, you can refer to a Andy Warhol painting as "A Warhol" and for the most part people will understand what you're saying.

I live,
And so is this thread. I am downloading the save now, and will start this evening.

You got the save from PyroTechno, correct? Your timing was impeccable haha.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 144