Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426758 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1080 on: June 23, 2015, 08:11:53 am »

press x whike placing items, including slabs, to know which item is which.

also the defaced thing means you mined a masterwork engeavung.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:55 am »

I don't really understand why I had so much of a problem. Like I said, this is hardly my first time playing DF. This isn't even my first succession fort. But I was almost as crippled as someone who didn't even know half of the key bindings.

It's kind of disappointing, to be honest.

Ahaha this is kind of horrifying and hilarious all at once. I appreciate your honesty, though I really wonder if we couldn't help you make it through things. Whatever the case, the pace is on!

BTW, when the game says, "You have defaced an Erin Bulbon" or something of that sort, it means you've destroyed an engraving done by Erin Bulbon, or whomever the artist was. Like, you can refer to a Andy Warhol painting as "A Warhol" and for the most part people will understand what you're saying.

I live,
And so is this thread. I am downloading the save now, and will start this evening.

You got the save from PyroTechno, correct? Your timing was impeccable haha.

press x whike placing items, including slabs, to know which item is which.

also the defaced thing means you mined a masterwork engeavung.

Thanks, I don't really do engraving that much so it had never come up.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 23, 2015, 08:17:12 am »

In one way, playing for all of two hours has given your turn a more hilarious bent than it might have acquired otherwise. Dramatic irony or something or other. . . A worthy contribution!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:37 am »

Yeah it was refreshing to see someone gaze upon this disaster and truly tell us how it felt.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:58 am »

Did a quick check. about 10 ghosts (Including a ghostly Grand Inquisitor), I am still alive, Frankenstein is still alive (<3), the vampire is still sealed, we have an abundance of ore, but no one is smelting it, 4 prisoners that are still alive (ignoring smussu), 2 fb's in the caverns (A flying snake, and a giant crab), and someone accused a crundle of vandalism...
I wonder what would drive a crundle to vandalize?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 23, 2015, 08:43:40 am »

Did a quick check. about 10 ghosts (Including a ghostly Grand Inquisitor), I am still alive, Frankenstein is still alive (<3), the vampire is still sealed, we have an abundance of ore, but no one is smelting it, 4 prisoners that are still alive (ignoring smussu), 2 fb's in the caverns (A flying snake, and a giant crab), and someone accused a crundle of vandalism...
I wonder what would drive a crundle to vandalize?
TechnoXan. TechnoXan would drive a crundle to vandalism.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 23, 2015, 03:50:31 pm »

We're a duchy! And we don't even know who the duchess is!

I love this fort.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 23, 2015, 04:04:13 pm »

Well usually they upgrade a baron to count to duke, but our baron and all his heir died when Snustrok the giant murderous snail rampaged through the fortress. This means that we are a duchy, in terms of territory, but nobody is there to manage it.

That being said, someone more script-savvy could suggest a quick way to re-name someone as the ruling noble of Doomforests.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:21 pm »

In keeping with the nature of Doomforests, we should have three dwarves all declare themselves duke simultaneously, and then stage a civil war in the middle of a goblin invasion.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 23, 2015, 05:20:15 pm »

I think you mean "Invasion". With quotes. Last time they came in was when there were just two of 'em killing Langurs, so I kind of doubt they'll ever be there for dwarven treasures. I think it's safe to assume that Doomforests warps the minds of all who enter.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »

What succession fortress doesn't?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 23, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »

Why is there a marksdwarf and a doctor sealed into a hospital?
Why is someone building a magma piston without proper safeties?
Why is no one doing anything?
Why are there spider webs on everything (That is, why haven't they been harvested and turned into clothes)?
And finally, Why is there only 1 squad full? Are they all dead?
These are questions that have no answers.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 23, 2015, 07:19:02 pm »

Why are there spider webs on everything (That is, why haven't they been harvested and turned into clothes)?

That's probably my fault, after breaching the caverns in my "New Fortress" project I'm sure I let in the cave spiders. If you remember those screenshots, holy crap were those spider busy. Now, multiple years later, I'm not surprised to see them take over the place.

What imagery, though! Halls filled with dense webs, where no one has stepped for years. Walled-off rooms full to the brim with spiders and mites and things. Dwarfs constantly discovering spiders on, under or in nearly everything. The cats gave up once the spiders got to be larger than they could easily fit in their mouths. No one wants to do anything anymore because, well, spiders.

I remember the first time I had a dwarf bit by a cave spider, kind of blew my mind in the way only Dwarf Fortress can.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 23, 2015, 07:22:36 pm »

Why is there a marksdwarf and a doctor sealed into a hospital?
Why is someone building a magma piston without proper safeties?
Why is no one doing anything?
And finally, Why is there only 1 squad full? Are they all dead?
These are questions that have no answers.

Yeah, I noticed that there was hospital-related cancellation spam and couple Pump Operators fighting a crundle.

There were about 30-40 idle people on my turn, so out of a population of about 110, that means 70-80 people are doing something at any given time.

The spider webs aren't being turned into clothes because the clothing industry is already perfectly fine and productive.

As for the one squad left - this is a wealthy fort. Of course they're all dead, they get attacked all the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:12 pm »

guys can there be multiple sieges at once? Csuse we could lock up an army somewhere and avoid future invaders...
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 144