Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 432198 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1350 on: August 22, 2015, 02:15:42 pm »

You are a true dwarf, my friend.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 22, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »

...but where was the Doomforest shattering kaboom?

There was supposed to be a Doomforest shattering kaboom.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 22, 2015, 06:49:33 pm »

...but where was the Doomforest shattering kaboom?

There was supposed to be a Doomforest shattering kaboom.
Eventually, but not now.
Let us have our time of glory returned for a while, mate.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 23, 2015, 10:28:28 am »

Interlude, Overseer's Office

Pencil_Art, me dear, hopin' yer enjoyin' yer fine new clear glass window in yer dining room.  Seems there's been a bit of a... well... problem with the magma drainin' from the old barracks.  The magma pipe tends to refill whatever's taken out, y'see, and... well... the magma runnin' back in has made it a little, well, a little OVERFULL if ya catch my meanin'.

Nothin' to worry about in here, but I wouldn't worry too much if people start complainin' of the smell of burnin' fungus and crundle comin' from the caves.  Just a word to the wise.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 23, 2015, 11:50:28 am »

OOC: Flame, do you have a dwarf?  I don't see anything named anything like your username...

EDIT: Well, you do now  :)  I gave you our legendary weaponsmith.  Party on.  Update and save to follow.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:56:15 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 23, 2015, 12:01:33 pm »

So are we still dorfing people here? Cause if we are, I'd like a dorf. Any old dwarf will do. Or young. I'm not picky. :P

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 23, 2015, 12:07:25 pm »

DAMMIT I HAD A PLAN

A HILARIOUS PLAN

UNDWARF ME THIS INSTANT

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 23, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »

So, we can finally add ''flooding magma'' to the list of issues crippling the fort.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 23, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »

Overseer's Log - Winter 1064

Well, it's been quite a year.  I'm over me upset about the news, but I'll tell you all right now, don't ever, ever, EVER keep a secret like that again from someone in the purple hat.  To think there was one o' them bloodsuckin' beasts hidden in the very walls of the place!  Fair makes m' flesh crawl!  We'd all be murdered in our beds, and all you lot would say is "oh, we forgot".  Same as you forgot to close the holes into the caverns so old Shedim could get in!  I do appreciate the effort you all spent in throwin' the vile thing into the lava, though.  Poor Kronk... losin' his wife like that!  Who would have thought the beast could be that quick?  No sooner did we break open the prison than it slipped by us all and claimed its prey.  Faugh!  No wonder we have such a problem with evil spirits here, if you have things like THAT about!  I hope for the sake of future overseers there's no other horrible monsters sealed up in here anywhere...

Shedim's death must have sent a signal... a new beast appeared deep in the third caverns, but it's welcome to spend its life down there and none the wiser.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Besides that, winter was fairly uneventful.  And yes, this year I'm steppin' down.  I know I've been hard on ye all, but look at all we've accomplished!  I'm passin' the hat to The_Flame, our beloved weaponsmith.  We will need more weapons and armor... tend the forges well.  We were born from the forges of the gods, you know... a dwarf without a forge is like a body without a heart.  I'll stay about, but I hope I've showed ye it doesn't need to be so dire.  And I'll be around if ye need me.

Flame, get this damn hat, so I can go get a drink!

OOC: Save is here:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11073

The biggest challenge at this point is FPS.  Too many tiles are exposed, there are still too many paths from A -> B, and too many moving parts are onscreen.  I was getting 15-17 downstairs, 19-22 upstairs, and 15 out in the woods.

Things to note:
- Magma is still drying in the flooded zone.  Should be done evaporating by mid-spring.  5 magma crabs will need attention before you can repurpose the area.  Two holes left in the walls, one over the magma pipe and one leading to (though blocked by) the green glass pump.
- Upstairs food storage is full, leading to ridiculous pathing of people growing food upstairs and carrying it down 40 levels to store it in the basement.  Some sort of longterm food storage solution is desperately needed
- Still have a caged minotaur to play with  :)

Best of luck, and I will be following with interest  :D

EDIT: Gah, sorry  :(  I had already zipped and uploaded the save by the time I saw your message.  Just denounce her as an impostor and carry on  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:10:58 am by Iamblichos »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 23, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

The fort has a bit of a magma trouble.
The next overseer is called The Flame...
Yep, that doesn't sound ominous at all...
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »

Eh, rumors of magma trouble are greatly exaggerated. The only issue was a brief period of burning spiderweb and fungus... once the rooms had drained the magma pipe returned to proper levels.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 23, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »

Could someone please dwarf me? Legendary furnace operator, if one is available.  :)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:22 pm »

I would like to request that (when the magma has evaporated) the shell of Shedim be moved to the main dining hall and forbidden so the dwarves could have it as a trophy.  :)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:56 pm »

FUCKING FINALLY

GIMME THAT SAVE

The fort has a bit of a magma trouble.
The next overseer is called The Flame...
Yep, that doesn't sound ominous at all...
DAMN RIGHT

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 24, 2015, 02:29:10 pm »

Okay, first things first, the tileset is fucked up, can someone fix that? I don't want to play a turn where Minister Smunstu is a bucket and the walls are screaming in Spanish.

Secondly, how much DFhack can I use?

And finally, I have definitely been looking forward to this and this turn will be a productive and entertaining one.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 144