Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425760 times)

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1485 on: September 16, 2015, 10:42:30 am »

I'm not saying I'm waiting eagerly for something awful to happen and everybody but a couple of dorfs die on your turn, but I'm not saying I'm NOT waiting for it either.

Same here.  Also, I like to think that the archery range that our prime minister is making will include a cage in it, for him to reminisce about his early days here, after 1 had captured him, and put him in the archery range as punishment for daring to show his face at a mighty dwarven settlement.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 16, 2015, 12:43:52 pm »

It's weird having a Forgotten Beast show up and a Senshuken not die trying to fight the damn thing. Not bad by any means... just a strange and new experience.

How is the training of the ministers and the other VIP's working out?
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 16, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

Major SenshukenVI was to start training the ministers in self-defence anytime soon. Problems kept adding up, however, distracting her from the matter. Recently the human caravan had shown up, and the General had ordered a lockdown. Then some cave spiders began biting a war leopard, and this had to be addressed as well. She obviously couldn't train the VIPs while she was double-checking the pipelines and magma tunnels for any possible entrance point. Even more recently, a new monster had came to Doomforests...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The major tracked down Slek's movements. The beast proved to be quite confortable swimming in either magma or water, which could become a serious issue. Slek had made a lair near Astville, and the area was split in two, but accessible in many ways. One could enter through the well, or through the magma furnaces. Sure, only the well gave access to the fortress, and it was a long way, but she had to remain vigilant. The problem resolved itself in the most baffling way possible, like anything happening in Astville.

Before it could tear apart the magma smelters and furnaces blocking access to the platform, Slek spotted a baby llama. Why this llama was there, on the ledge of a magma pool, or how it survived for many years alone, are questions that only a place like Astville can conjure up. Wat maters is that a baby llama there was, and delicious it smelled. Slek was hungry. it was a being of fire, and anger, and as such swimming into the magma pool was no issue for him. It crossed the fiery bassin and began wrestling the baby llama, grappling it and roasting it bit by bit with its fire attacks. The baby llama gave up quite a fight, as only an adorable creature surviving by unknown means would. It survived for a bit of time, despite the assaults of his enemy. Soon enough, it was brought into the lava pool, by a mighty grapple. Before catching on fire, the baby llama gave a single attack, poking slek in the face with his little adorable hoove, temporarily stunning the beast.

Heavy as a brick-carrying cargo boat, Slek sunk into the magma sea within seconds. It regain its senses shortly after, but it was now deep, deep under the magma's surface. Before it could find a way back (or understand which was was up) it drowned.

Welcome to Doomforests, where this happened.

''I'll make you a deal'' the prime minister said. He wasn't one to change his plans easily, but Smunstu had to admit, Dark Two kept exceeding expectations. Whatever he was doing with the still, it was proving efficient beyond  everything they'd seen. In the last month, the brewers had doubled the booze stockpile, bringing it to 1700 units. Within the next month, the Klan Master affirmed, they'd double it again. Now Dark Two was asking for something else.

''The brewers are the life and spirit of a fortress, they keep the dwarves sane and drunk, and healthy. I want to create a knightly order, the Order of the Ale. Let my brewers train and form an emergency military unit, in case of trouble. Let us push our role in defending this fortress even further.''

A noble idea, and an interesting one at that. The new migrants were still being relocated to their new department and learning the rudiments of their new crafts. The dwarfpower of Doomforests was still spread thin. It would be worse once the most skilled of dwarves began their self-defense program under Major SenshukenVI. Dark Two's idea was, in a way, an alternative to the 20 recruits the General had yet to form. He could obviously tell him that those brewers bent on combat would replace the planned recruits, but there was a sneakier, more productive option.

''Our ressources are spread thin, you know this. We are short on hematite and iron, and thus in steel. Whatever little we have, has already been requisitioned by Quartermaster Flame and the General. We simply don't have the supplies to arm yet another group of dwarves.

However, your department has exceeded expectations. Unlike PsychoAngel, I take it that our reformed brewers can be reasonable. There is only so much booze we need stockpiled before it becomes a waste of space. Once the alcohol stores reach 4000 units, you will let it drop naturally to 3000 without brewing more. In the meantime, the brewers will be allowed to take over the duty of mining. New veins of hematite have been located, but we lack the dwarfpower to extract them. Do this, and the resulting ore cache will be used to equip a new Order of the Ale''
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:48:13 pm by Taupe »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 16, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »

1. Yeah, I noticed those iron bar slabs during my turn. I blame someone misusing DFhack.
2. A fire-breathing pterosaur? Bastiongate is leaking into Doomforests. At least there's only one.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 16, 2015, 03:41:29 pm »

2. A fire-breathing pterosaur? Bastiongate is leaking into Doomforests. At least there's only one.

It's weird having a Forgotten Beast show up and a Senshuken not die trying to fight the damn thing. Not bad by any means... just a strange and new experience.

I'm not saying I'm waiting eagerly for something awful to happen and everybody but a couple of dorfs die on your turn, but I'm not saying I'm NOT waiting for it either.
Same here. 

Very nice turn you've got going.  For now anyway. 

So, hum... if you guys had to choose totally new dwarves, out of curiosity, what would you take?

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »

Hey, we could make enough soap to cover the continent if you'd let us! Not saying I actually want to cover the continent with soap. However that would be terribly fun for the children as well as very confusing for the kingdom, which would be hilarious, but that's not what I want. What I want is enough soap to clean the shit out of Doomforests for years to come. I never said I wanted it done all at once, I just said that I want to keep up a steady supply at all times. Hell, I don't even mind if you lower my dwarfpower a bit in order to establish better works elsewhere. Just don't try to make me stop. Because it's not going to happen. In all honesty, though, if I really need to stop soaping for just a bit, I don't mind. You just can't keep a family away from their craft, you know? Of course you do, otherwise you probably wouldn't be in the rutile hat right now. My blathering aside, I'd like to know when this rumored "Self-Defense Training" will begin so I may ramp up production beforehand. Don't want a shortage now, do we?

OOC Time: Loving the journals and commentary, Taupe! I think it'd be fun to color-code more things. Let's see how long this apparent tranquility will last, eh? Hopefully long enough to establish what we absolutely need, but knowing this fort, that's probably not going to happen. Like when I tried to build a hospital in Crewedgears. Anyway, I wish I could take another turn at some point, but I just haven't been in the mood for DF in recent months.
Side note: Doomforests has reached 100 pages! Huzzah!
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 16, 2015, 05:31:14 pm »

Let's see how long this apparent tranquility will last, eh? Hopefully long enough to establish what we absolutely need, but knowing this fort, that's probably not going to happen.
Interestingly enough...

''What do you mean, Callista is dead?
-It seems that she and a carpenter caught on fire while taking their lunch.
-I'm sorry what.''

''Sorry Prime Minister, but it seems that the central section of the fortress is currently filled with smoke.''

The secretary pointed an area of the map, where tables and chairs were laid out, along with... a masonry workshop for some reason. At this point, everything that wasn't made of obsidian was definitely burned to a crisp. There was only one thing that could have caused such a thing. Masli, the fiery three-eyed pterosaur. How exactly did it get inside, was the question. He wasn't even on the same level as the fortress. Miss TaupeIII was eager to point out an hypothesys: Some parts of a lower magma tube had been carved out at some point. the creature probably snuck inside a water access, into another level of the cavern, up this tube, crossed the upper caverns, went down by the tunnel linking two layers, and then flew above the suspended statue garden. Or something close to this. It took it two months, but it was in the fort.

''See that section of wall? It leads into the fortress from the hanging garden magma tube. For no discernible reason whatsoever. Masli must have entered through there, and rushed into the communal area.
-I will kill whomever is responsible for this security flaw. Quick, dispatch the troops, and get me Major SenshukenVI immediately!
-Yeah hum...''

''She's dead sir.''

''... But if it's any consolation that cave spider that gave us trouble earlier is also burning? Oh and so are its webs, oups. That probably doesn't help eit --
-SEND THE ARMY AND KILL IT NOW.''

So, interestingly enough, the area currently on fire is actually a central traffic area between most parts of the fortress. Removing it from the burrow will not stop people from going there, because they just ignore it and cross the area on their way to the other part of the fort. Many, many people are on fire, and are spreading it by running away. The usual approach of locking door is useless against a building destroyer, they only add more things that can catch fire. Hilariously enough, remains of the total safety project are blocking the areas that need to be walled off. The army has been mobilising for two weeks because the fortress is so fucking gigantic and poorly designed.

This is a fucking disaster.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:33:25 pm by Taupe »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 16, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »

Yeah. The true turn begins at last!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 16, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »

Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 16, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.
This makes every disaster so much better... As you do have skill to salvage it somehow. And a talent to weave a breath-taking story about that.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:10 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

IT WAS ME

Have you found my gift yet? It would come in handy right now. Has Flame died?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 16, 2015, 06:18:01 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

IT WAS ME

Have you found my gift yet? It would come in handy right now. Has Flame died?
It's hard to tell what's the gift. I've found many things, many of them strange, unjustified, or unpleasant.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 16, 2015, 06:39:17 pm »

I'll give you a hint, then.

It's never far from Flame.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile