Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426781 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1515 on: September 17, 2015, 01:52:58 pm »

Yes, usually this is due to a tree spawning near a wall and colliding with it.  This is why I built a two tile ring of pavement around the fortress/entrance.  That might not have been enough.  Check anywhere that there are 2d floor walls/roofs that might be getting 'stepped on' and you will most likely find the culprit.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 17, 2015, 02:10:31 pm »

Looks like there is another spot at the river wall area, that's what I focused on, not the copper one.

Incidentally I tried to retire and load up an adventurer to see if it crashed or anything...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why do I expect anything normal out of Doomforests?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 17, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »

"The Wagon falls over."

"The Wagon falls over."

"The Wagon falls over."

That made me laugh uncontrollably. Thank you good sir.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:31 pm »

The Forests and tress spawning all around might be the real Doom of this fortress.

Looks like there is another spot at the river wall area, that's what I focused on, not the copper one.

Incidentally I tried to retire and load up an adventurer to see if it crashed or anything...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128593.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:28 pm »

"The Wagon falls over."

"The Wagon falls over."

"The Wagon falls over."

That made me laugh uncontrollably. Thank you good sir.
I was trying to listen to the missus when the game loaded up and I was doing my best not to laugh until I could explain, it was very difficult. I remain confused. I've never seen a wagon fall over before.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »

They say that burning to death is one of the most painful ways to die. This is true, but there is a bright side: Dying by fire forces the victim's brain to think things along the lines of, "This is unbelievably painful! This really, really hurts!", leaving very few neurons to be dedicated to either fear or existential pondering.

This was the experience of Callista, legendary bone carver of Doomforests. She had been engaged in a pleasantly heated argument with one of the carpenters, and had just slammed her mug onto the dining table with an exclamation of, "A goblin! There is a goblin leading the fortress! Historically significant goblins are still goblins!" when suddenly a hot wind, bearing noxious gases, billowed into the dining hall. It was followed by fire.

They stood, scattering the remains of their meal as the sheet of flame ignited one of the wooden dining tables. Already the air was hot and impossible to breathe. They looked toward the dining hall exit furthest from the flames, glanced at each other, and ran for it.

Callista could smell their hair and beards burning. But the smoke rolled in, and she lost her way, and she could not tell whether she was moving toward the door or toward the fire. She saw the carpenter collapse, having taken a lungful of poisonous smoke. And then the fire came.

Amidst the expected thoughts informing her that she was really in excruciating pain and, if she didn't mind, could she please do something about it, Callista's brain informed her of the presence of a strange, demonic creature--was it a lizard, or perhaps an ugly bird? In any event, it seemed to be quite unhurt by the fire, something that struck the dwarf as decidedly unfair. In her surprise she forgot herself and took a breath, and fire choked her. She fell, skin melting, clothes ablaze, in too much agony to scream.

In the dwarf's last moments, an incongruous thought came to her: How thirsty I am... I could really go for some barley wine...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 17, 2015, 04:41:33 pm »

There ya go Taupe, a side of pathos with your tragedy!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 17, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »

Anyoen can try this? I'm not getting any result for some reason, not sure what i need to type exactly. But if it works, we'll be turning any tree or shurb into ashes, using DarkOne's old grimoires.

plant

A tool for creating shrubs, growing, or getting rid of them.

Subcommands:

create:   Create a new shrub/sapling.
grow:   Make saplings grow into trees.
extirpate:   Kills trees and shrubs, turning them into ashes instantly.
immolate:   Similar to extirpate, but sets the plants on fire instead. The fires can and will spread ;)
create creates a new sapling under the cursor. Takes a raw ID as argument (e.g. TOWER_CAP). The cursor must be located on a dirt or grass floor tile.

grow works on the sapling under the cursor, and turns it into a tree. Works on all shrubs of the map if the cursor is hidden.

extirpate and immolate work only on the plant under the cursor.

For mass effects, use one of the additional options:

shrubs:   affect all shrubs on the map
trees:   affect all trees on the map
all:   affect every plant!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 17, 2015, 05:09:11 pm »

See, I tried to go one step further and just flat out blanked the tiles with tiletypes, but I didn't get all of them actually... hmmm.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »

I would expect it to work like this:

"plant extirpate all"

Should turn all trees and shrubs to ash.

If not, though, it may be confused by multi-tile trees.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 17, 2015, 07:09:58 pm »

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe where a branch grew to the right and missed a wall...

Smunstu found himself filled with strange ideas and urges, as though something otherworldly were acting through him. Having learned of the narrowly averted destruction of... well, everything due to something as absurd as poorly placed walls and... tree branches, Smunstu found himself quite willing to accept the guidance of whatever it was that he could feel looking out from behind his eyes with him.

He had a strange urge to lay down and... wait, somehow his passenger knew that this would heal his foot, the old wound which had plagued him for longer than he could remember.

Standing up again, no longer being inside a cage, yes, he had to admit that despite the strangeness of it all, this felt very good.

Now he could see that there were gaps in the wall where he could work his fingers in, if he pushed here, and slid this block over some, yes, it made sense somehow. The wall took longer to tear down than his guide expected, and he was still unsure how he even knew where to put his hands to loosen the blocks. Yet they were surely becoming loose, and before he knew it he was faced with an opportunity he never expected to have since first setting foot in Doomforests: leaving it.

No doubt he could try to go and exact some sort of revenge on his captors, had they not already met their fates at the hands of various horrors while he sat and watched, glad for once to be inside of a cage.

Vengeance against these dwarves who had come to accept him as an overseer would serve no purpose, is it ungoblinlike to not savor the thought of delivering such a betrayal to those who had been your foes and captors?

No, neither he nor his strange passenger felt the need for this, soon enough this strange cursed place would claim them all, but not him, no.

The pile of discarded clothing outside his old office would hopefully help hide the truth of his escape until it was too late.

These damned hallways twist and turn, he caught glimpses of dwarves here and there but simply kept his head down and pretended he was off to do some task rather than responding to their greetings.

...wait, did that wagon just fall over? Why is there a wagon in here, how did it... never mind, all the more reason to leave this place to the dwarves.

Perhaps this way... could... oh, chunks of horrible beasties from the depths, best move on.

Voices! Damn, perhaps this hall will... oh god are those coffins?

More coffins? I knew this place was far better at killing dwarves than any of the armies my master raised, but this is worse than I ever imagined.

Perhaps this way... could, lead me back around where I just was.

Who designed this place? A committee of madmen? Cultists? Something worse?

Wait... that staircase over there, I think, yes! Light... is this, am I finally free?

...almost, ok, been years since I had to climb a wall, you can do this, we trained for this sort of thing back in the pits after all.

Damn damn damn ow... ok, glad I grabbed some armor off that... clumsy wagon... but, I'm down in... what the hell, I knew they were making new barracks but I didn't expect this.

Still, I'm almost... free, just gotta dodge the cage traps this time... ah, I never thought I'd be happy to see trees again.

Just a little further and I'll be done hiding, a free goblin again!

...hmmm, did I leave the other cells and cages open?

Eh, not my problem, not anymore.

...and just then another branch grew to the left, resetting the universe.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 19, 2015, 07:23:03 pm »

Did I kill it, or did Taupe get taken out by an alternate universe escaped goblin, removing those construction designations worked incidentally, hence why I was able to do the whole alternate timeline thing without a crash.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 19, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »

Did I kill it, or did Taupe get taken out by an alternate universe escaped goblin, removing those construction designations worked incidentally, hence why I was able to do the whole alternate timeline thing without a crash.
So you are saying that removing every construction order would solve the issue?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 19, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »

Found something like this:

Edit:

Removing construction solved the issue for me.

I removed the wall constructions Dark One found on the copper section where the trees were growing over it and it didn't crash anymore. I was able to switch over to arena and then adventurer mode and roam around trying to figure out where the hell I was just fine after that.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:26 pm »

Thank you oh trademarked master.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 144