Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 426775 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1590 on: September 28, 2015, 03:20:27 pm »

I get bumped around between so many different forts that I end up balanced on top of sanity because I'm being pushed equally from every side.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 28, 2015, 03:25:08 pm »

Well, in Salmeuk's defence any sane person would have assumed this fortress would be over by now, and considering the fps I am getting (not the strongest laptop, in fact kinda crappy one but 4fps is still a bit of a disaster, will try turning off temperature, and play with path designation when my turn comes around) in most cases I would agree...

While normally I would concede to your point, I must point out that Salmeuk is one of the original members of this fort, and anyone who has had the involvement with this place that he has can no longer make any claim to sanity.  Any prior claims to sanity he may have had have also been retroactively made invalid.  Same goes for me and all others who have been involved in this place for any significant length of time.

Salmeuk Cancels: Take care of Turn List, Gone Stark Raving Mad?

Spoiler: To D3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:45:25 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 28, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

Salmeuk Cancels: Take care of Turn List, Gone Stark Raving Mad?
Speaking of turn list, I'd obviously like to be added to this for another go down the line. Half of the people will likely cancel by then, and I am way too busy to take another go at this in say, a month. As such, I'll probably let a few people go before I jump back into Doomforests. I've been dedicating all my free time to community forts for the last seven weeks and I'm getting seriously drained. I need a DF vacation. :/

People have been complaining about the fps issue. I'm not too sure where I stand on this, since I've been cruising this baby at 26-30 fps for most of my 20 months of play. I tried to get rid of a few things, clear some stockpiles, and tidy the place up a bit, but things are moving slowly thanks to the horrible, horrible design. Thanks, whoemever began carving new forts wait that was me Let's all agree that any new fort past Astville was definitely a bad idea.  Running the clean command in DFhack will definitely help, albeit not by much. (ran it once, then people barfed everywhere. The soap magic storyline gives us a free pass to keep using that command as we please I guess...) The point I'm slowly and clumsily making here is that, Doomforests is now obviously quite taxing on lower-end machines. If your FPS is 4, then no amount of optimization is going to double that at this point. Heat disabling, weather turned off, perfect traffic designations... none of this will give you more than 20/30% more fps combined. The pathfinding, quantity of items, and sheer size of the fortress is the main issue. Thus I would suggest two points to keep this thread ''alive''.

1-If your computer is shit, you probably shouldn't queue up. This isn't personal. We love you, we really want to benefit from your participation, but you won't be able to offer any if you are running the game on a 6 years old laptop.  You'll get 5 fps, play for two months, and give up. This has happened before. It will happen to youuuu!

2-Overseers should keep the betterment of the fortress in mind, at least partially. Look at the stocks. We have many things. We probably don't need to mine and smelt 100 more tetrahedryte ores. In fact, we probably don't need many new lots of things. It's better in the long run to figure out where the things we have are, and put them to use, than to produce another set of them. It's okay to block a few of the thousand dead ends when you find them. For example, we could reuse the old tombs on the main floor instead of digging a whole new set somewhere near Indonesia. There's a fuckton of shit that's still forbidden, waiting for a stockpile or a purpose. Reclaiming a few of these at a time when the idler count starts sky-rocketing could be a good idea. I'm not saying ''don't do dumb shit and terrible plans'', because this is obviously the essence of the thread at this point. But whatever you have in mind, there probably is a way to accomplish it that will benefit the fps rather than sink it deeper.

With that in mind, here is something I promised a day or two ago...

The year had come and gone. Soon, he would have to let go of the Rutile Hat, at least for a few years. Before the official end of his term, Prime Minister Smunstu gathered most officials from the fortress, to browse over the progress made during the last seasons, and the state of the fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The closing days of summer saw a rebooted and booming steel industry. An overhaul of job permissions and staff management allowed the gold items to finally be made. The best armorsmiths then began to craft a few items on repeat, to own their profession. they were now qualified enough to produce steel gear for the Order of the Ale. What items were still missing had been queued by the manager, and should come out of the forge by the end of spring. The Order of the Ale was still green, but they trained long and hard in the guard tower.

Five ghosts were troubling the fortress, so they were memorialised. The commemorative slabs were placed at the entrance of the tower, so the Order be reminded of the importance of their training. The outpost liason was so impressed by the whole idea, that by the end of the year many branches of the organisation had sprouted across the Town of Stroking.
The fact that those ghosts bent on troubling past had chosen to bother and haunt Prime Minister Smunstu of all people, said a lot about the death rate of most dwarves in the fortress, and the need for such an Order.

The farms were now operational, and set to produce various crops across the year. Sure, some of the seeds would run out, but for the time being the farmers would be spicing up the variety of aliments found in Doomforests. some migrants were added to the agriculture staff, as well as old members of the fort. Krong, dedicated lever puller, had become a planter after admitting he had no idea what any of the levers even did. The new farming structure contained a fishing pond, but workers complained that they were mostly fishing out socks and boots. They became terrified when a troll chunk was found. Come winter, when the river froze, the troll bits were channelled out.

Two new forgotten beasts appeared in the caverns. The first one wandered around a bit, had a fisticuff with an old beast, and ended up at the front door of Astville. There it had a mental breakdown. all it's life, it was told it was the only one of it's kind. Yet, near this strange microcline door, laid the rotting corpse of another, sharing its name. Ayanu was terrified. Whatever laid beyond that strange, forbidden entrance, was obviously enough to have brought down another just like him. Ayanu contemplated the door, with awe, respect and terror. For months, it has been sitting there, mystified, puzzled. It may remain there forever.

The other beast proved more problematic. It was once again spotted in new Doomforests, but nobody knew where it came from. It was the third beast attack in a year, and all of them occured in the center of the fortress, or the little stockpile underneath. Senshuken VI had long studied the design of the lower fortress, but she was dead, and so was her expertise. The army mobilized. LordBrassroast, the fortress' prim hammer user, was the first on the scene, and organised the assault. This was a very tricky situation, as the Prime Minister himself was currently vacating his old office, located right next to all those forgotten beast conflicts.

''Not a moment too soon, sir'' said the mayor. ''It's almost as if those beasts are willingly trying to destroy the leadership of this fortress.''

The initial onslaught was a disaster. the beast claimed many lives, thankfully none of them too important. The invader quickly moved to a new level, seeking new preys, but private Sakzul was hot on its tail, and confronted the beast in the bedroom's corridor. The beast was slain heroically, and Sakzul bestowed a name upon his steel spear to celebrate his victory.

Shortly after, a ''siege'' was announced, although no real invader showed up. It was simply the Prime Minister's mom, who came to bring some spaghetti sauce and check on him.

''Smunstu dear, I heard about those nasty beast attacks and I was *so* worried! I came to see if you were alright! I'm so proud of you and your new job. I just wish you'd call more often...''

Smunstu's office was finally done, and he moved there as fast as possible. It took 18 months to complete the damn thing, but damn was this place gorgeous. He may very well be the wealthiest goblin on the continent. His term was not nearing it's end. With the final meeting wrapped up, it was now time to retire. The timing was perfect; Smunstu could finally relax and lay low for a while, after 7 stressful seasons as overseer. His bare head was lighter without the rutile hat. He retreated to his new quarters, and gave his visiting mom a tour of the place:

''North is my archery range. I wanted the target to stick out, but still be thematic, so I went with rose gold. The room next to it is my armory and statue room. I really like this one. The statues were made by our chief engineer himself. Twas supposed to be a meeting room with a long table, but the measurements were one urist too short, and I didn't feel like delaying everything for another season, so we adjusted.
-This is beautiful, dear. I can't wait to tell your father about this.
-Okay. Well, this is my main office. The coffer is an artefact, and it cannot be picked. Everything is made of gold here, and this epic mural was created by our chief inquisitor, who is also a talented artist. Also a stone retailer, but I disgress.
-Impressive!
-Yup, and to the south, that's my bedchamber. I wanted more coffers and cabinets, but I didn't want to delay armor production any longer, so I figured those would be enough. the office has plenty of cabinets already.''

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:11 pm »

While looking at the file I also noticed large amount of animals that could be placed somewhere... considerably warmer, along with plenty of miscellaneous junk that is everywhere. What I am saying is that I may be able to squize out more than it looks at the first glance... It may require some Autodump, and, my personal favourite, conjuring water to either drown or cast the animals, and than remove the corpses (I mean, we can handle a tantrum spiral of people upset with their pets dying right?)...

Once I get home I will give it a try, if I fail, can I still stay and RP with you guys? One would hate to leave after such a warm welcome...

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:21 pm »

OOC:  Stay as long as you like.  I've missed having another grand schemer in the fort to conspire with/against.

3 sat at his desk, reading over the last letter he had received from Don Pedro.  He then got out his paper and pen, and wrote the following

Dear Don Pedro,

I've just finished looking over your requests, and they all seem rather reasonable to me.  In fact, granting them may well help out my plans somewhat, if only indirectly.  As for the tracking runes on Faustus, after my previous dealings with supernatural entities, I've learned that one must be very cautious when doing so.  While you seem to more or less mentally stable, I've learned that when non-mortals get out of hand, they do so spectacularly.  Last time it happened a lot of people died useless, meaningless deaths, and I don't intend to repeat that mistake.  As for your shows of trust, I will most certainly keep them in mind.  In fact, I feel that I can trust you with some information regarding my goals.  While my end goal must be kept secret for now, I will reveal an major intermediary goal to you.  For my plans, DoomForests must become the capitol of the Town of Stroking, our parent civilization.  That is all I can reveal for now, though you may learn more later if I feel it is needed.

From D3.

3 then seals the letter in it's envelope, and gives it to Faustus, which had been waiting for it.  Faustus then scurries away.  3 then sits back, opens a fresh bottle of rum, and reminisces about all the !!FUN!! he had plotting with and against Dark One. 

OOC:  By the way, it it pronounced RE-gen reich, or REG-en reich?
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 29, 2015, 09:56:03 am »

Journal of Dark Two

I received a letter from Dazthor? Dazorth? Dozhart? I think I'll need to take a look at the letter again to remember that name. Anyway, after reading it I should consider some things... and reply. I took a parchment, ink and quill, then started to write.

Spoiler: To Drazoth (click to show/hide)

I called for a messanger, and sent the letter. Now I should read all the reports I received from Champions of the Order in all the fortresses. Reading them, and planning orders might take me some time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:30:03 pm by Dark One »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1596 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

Hey!  So, I'd love to have a turn.  Question: does anybody else have a claim to being a librarian yet?  If not, that's what I'd be.

Also, dwarf as "Jay Wood", please.  Any dwarf that likes intellectual stuff.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 29, 2015, 07:20:55 pm »

I'm on a 4 year old HP pavilion laptop so... yeah. But I'll take a dorf if they're still going. Female I suppose, not that it matters much, maybe somebody new to the fortress?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 30, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »

Shortly after, a ''siege'' was announced, although no real invader showed up. It was simply the Prime Minister's mom, who came to bring some spaghetti sauce and check on him.
Brilliant

By the way, I give my permission to run an autodump command. As long as you pay some kind of in-game price, like dumping an adamantine wafer into the magma or creating a giant magic statue out of soap.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 30, 2015, 05:05:42 pm »

I will sooner drop Smunstu into magma than even a shard of adamantine... mostly 'cause nobody mined any yet... Either 'cause you do not know how to do it safely, or decided that we have enough of an edge over our enemies to go without...

Spoiler: To Klan Master (click to show/hide)

Oh, and Regenreich is amalgamation of Regen (german for rain) and Reich (german for rule/kingdom/land etc.). Do not worry if you do not get the reference, I assure you it is rather niche.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1600 on: October 01, 2015, 02:50:48 am »

Letter found below the rutile hat

To whoever is in charge of this place.

Dear person,
.   I would like to inform you of the unfinished power plant. I have noticed my previous letter was ignored, and this is IMPORTANT! There is an access gate in the power plant that allows access to the fortresses! There is a lever to the north of the gate. I suggest you seal this, as it could allow enemies to enter our fortress! I also recommend removing the lever after the gate is sealed, so no traitor opens it.

Gwolfski, mechanical overseer of Doomforests
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 01, 2015, 10:44:44 am »

Journal of Dark Two

After a long training session, Dark enters his office and notices a huge pile of papers lying on his desk, parchments sticking out of a drawer in the desk, and file cabinet filled to the brim with papers he reviewed yesterday. Managing an order in one fortress was quite easy task, but managing all the branches of order in all the fortresses was a little too much for him. There were two ways in which he could make his job any easier: hire a bookkeeper to review, sort and store all of these papers, or make the champions responsible for managing their branch in their own fortress. For now he may try the first option.

Dark proceeded to do all the paperwork. Some cases like numerous kea thefts in Weightbanner, or dwarves getting horrified by fluffy wamblers in Earthenbolts could go without his attention. On the other hand, werebeast appearing everywhere at random or strange possessions required attention not of a Klan-Master, but rather of an Inquisitor or Witchhunter. After two or three hours or so all the reports were review, archivised and new orders written for every branch. Messangers use the cavern highway to deliver them quickly, and in case that they spot a forgotten one, they can sneak easily out of their sight.

There was only one parchment left on the desk - a letter from Don Pedro. He wanted Rectified Spirits? An obscure beverage invented by goblins in late summer of 37. It was praised as a good mechanism clearing acid in the golden years of mechanic industry, but after some time mechanism clearing became a forgotten art, and even butterfly remains could stop a drwabridge, ending with elephant certain death. But if Don Pedro wishes to receive one barrel of this, he will get it.

First of all, Rectified Spirits is a beverage that must be contained in best quality nether-cap barrels, as the beverage somehow loses it's acidic properties when cold (which return after heating it). Now for the ingredients, I'll have to find fresh plump helmets, barley, chicory, garlic, some lemon, and two special ingredients: a bar of soap, and a good deal of pure love hatred. Looking at the recipe I understand why it was good mechanism-cleaner. A goblin would be delighted by such fiendish alcohol, but for most dwarves... and other races too, it's not possible to drink, though Don Pedro claims that it's a booze of his childhood... whatever floats in your barrel I guess...

I needed to reconstruct an archaic type of still used by goblins back in 37 to make the booze as close to the original as possible, then I proceed to brew. After the long and tiresome process is finished, and a barrel is filled with Rectified Spirits I send it to Don Pedro with a letter:

"To Don Pedro

The barrel filled with booze of your childhood have just been finished. I tried to stay as close to the original as possible. If you'll ever need any beverage, ingredients or basic alchemical concoctions, just send me a letter.

Klan-Master Dark Two
The Order of The Ale"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:47:33 am by Dark One »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 01, 2015, 11:56:40 am »

Dear person,
.   I would like to inform you of the unfinished power plant. I have noticed my previous letter was ignored, and this is IMPORTANT! There is an access gate in the power plant that allows access to the fortresses! There is a lever to the north of the gate. I suggest you seal this, as it could allow enemies to enter our fortress! I also recommend removing the lever after the gate is sealed, so no traitor opens it.

With all due respect, I do believe we have enough of an FPS problem without advanced engineering.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 01, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »

Dear person,

With all due respect, I do believe we have enough of an FPS problem without advanced engineering.
That, and we could just simply rely on the concrete wall I put up.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 01, 2015, 04:17:07 pm »

Psycho II's Journal
So recently I've been having to deal with more and more weirdos following me around. Sometimes they think I can't see them, but I always know that they're there. Freaks me out, honestly. I occasionally hear some mutterings about how they want to know my secret family recipe, and how some say it's magical. I honestly have no idea what they're talking about. I mean, I've heard rumors about how my family's soap has saved the fortress in mysterious ways, but I really can't believe that there's magic in the soap, right? I've noticed some weird trends when it comes to my soap, but I've never noticed anything... out of the ordinary over the years...

In other news, the Klan Master came to see me today! Said he wanted a large bar of soap for an archaic brewing recipe. I asked him what kind of soap it needed to be, and he said it didn't really matter. So I gave him one of my fine creations and told him that if he ever needed any more, we are in no short supply. I have no idea what sort of brew required soap, but it should be interesting for whoever ordered it. Wonder what it tastes like...

OOC: The plot thickens in very... mysterious ways...
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 144