Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 425859 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1620 on: October 02, 2015, 11:26:43 pm »

Well, hopefully we did not go of the deep end yet. One more RP bit after Dark One does his and I will take a break till somebody takes over... By the way, I feel I am a bit rusty with this kind of thing, anything I should be particularly careful with? Is anything that REALLY does not work?
I don't think anything has gotten out of hand at the moment. Maybe that came out wrong, I meant it as a general warning/general analysis of plot-gameplay dissonance in community forts, rather than some directed scolding. I think what mostly matter right now is getting the thread rolling again, because that usually solves a lot of issues with running a community fort.

I don't think anything is wrong with what your writing. Just write the way you're confortable, it'll come naturally and it'll improve. If you really want to better yourself, spend some time re-reading your stuff, and ask yourself a few questions. Do you notice any repetitions? Any unclear explanations or vague statements? Do you feel like you're constantly using the same kind of descriptions? By re-reading yourself and asking yourself these questions, you'll eventually notice what you are proud of in your writing, and what you feel is off, or unsatisfying. Then slowly but surely, you'll notice those things you hate as they happen, and stop to think and correct them as you write. Don't be afraid to erase or start over a part. Rebuild around a strong idea or sentence, instead of fiddling with everything else to have it ''fit in''. Personally, I have some issues with long sentences. Like, way too long. This works marvellously when describing a long and convoluted action by a character to express how silly it is. For clear and concise explanations, it works less so. That's something I try to correct whenever I notice it; this why the previous sentence was later split into three. Pay attention to other writers, especially those you like, and you'll notice why you like them. For some it's word choice, for others it's the pacing, or the formatting. After that, you can try to include those elements in your own stories. It gives you a goal.

While I'm on the subject of writing way too many words on something I barely understand myself, as a random unqualified person on the internet, maybe we could discuss that brief idea of a tv-trope page. Or maybe just an update list with links. If we need to re-read a lot of the thread to make a clear list of turns, hell we might as well take the time to archive a few things. I just finished reading Headshoot and Syrupleaf, and I really liked the easy-to-read format of the LP-archive. Obviously a lot of us (myself included) are too busy/lazy to go to that length (and I feel like the fluff and banter between turns is better left uncut here) but we can probably find some sort of middleground between off-site fully-archived updates, and an unfinished turn list.

Ideas? Thoughts? Mostly it comes down to ''how dedicated are we to putting more efforts into this thread.''
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:33:12 pm by Taupe »

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: October 03, 2015, 10:44:18 am »

Miracle of Sound's Half-man Song, about Tyrion, easy. And no idea as to what song to recommend... As to RP, yeah, I will slow down with it a bit. I will wait till Dark One posts his before making my move...

Congratulations.  Despite me using that song earlier in the thread, and using more of it, you are the first to figure it out.  As for Taupe's suggestions, I'll be looking over the thread today to work back from where I started making the turn list to his request to take care of that.  As for archiving it, I'd be willing to do so but I don't have the slightest clue on where to start.  Also, If we are doing that, it would be an opportunity for people who had characters but didn't do any RP for them (like Drazoths 1 and 2 for me) to write stuff and add it in.  The bonus being that they will have the in game stuff to work with to keep them from going off on long metaplot tangents.  I should post the updated turn list later today, then I'll look into how to make a PDF archive for it.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 03, 2015, 11:01:35 am »

Okay, it looks like my previous turn list was in fact correct.  While I did ask for a turn before Flame, I'll let him go first just so I can have more time to set up my claiming of the rutile hat in the RP.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: October 03, 2015, 11:06:36 am »

So is it my turn?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 03, 2015, 11:22:33 am »

yep.  Good luck.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: October 03, 2015, 11:30:47 am »

Downloading now. Now I can answer the question of what happened to Flame's kid, which nobody will answer.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 03, 2015, 11:51:32 am »

The answer is: Nothing. The kid is fine.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 03, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »

Journal of Dark Two

I have received more letters. The first one is from Drazoth the 3rd, and the second is from Don Pedro. I'll open the letter from Drazoth first.

Letter to Dark Two:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interesting, my first impressions about Don Pedro were right! Now let's take a look at letter from him. After taking it into my hand, I managed to notice a faint lime glow. It was so weak that it was almost impossible to see, but I swear that there's something wrong about that letter - it gives me the same feelings that I had looking at Don Pedro on his arrival. I can't read that! But what can I do? I think that I'll call someone from the hallway to read it out. Always better than taking a curse on myself I guess.

With this in mind I went to hallway and called the first dwarf that showed up, then said:

- Want to get a special barrel of Sweet Pod Rum from the Order?

- Sure I do!

- Then let's go, and if you'll be very brave, you can get two barrels.

We entered my office. I gave him the letter and said:

- Read out this letter.

The dwarf brokne the seal, and started to read.

Spoiler:  To Klan Master (click to show/hide)

When he was reading it, a strange lime glow enveloped the dwarf reading it, then slowly faded away.

- What did you feel? Any difference?

- Nothing. Everything is the same as ever. What about the barrels?

- Take them. Go to the booze stockpiles with this document. The Order would give you your barrels.

With these word, Dark writes the document and gives it to the dwarf, who quickly takes it and leaves. He seals the letter, and hides it in his pocket, then goes to the Order Headquarters to prepare for Festival of Ale. After he took care about everything, Dark Two left headquarters and headed towards Old Doomforests. Then he reached the Dinning Hall. Drazoth the 3rd was already waiting there at the table with bottle of rum in his hand.

Dark Two came closer and sits on the chair.

- Greetings! So you are Drazoth the 3rd? It's an honour to finally meet you.

- It's good to finally meet you as well.  So, before we begin discussing the past, is there anything in the present that needs to be dealt with first?

- Well, yes. I received a letter from Don Pedro. I spotted something wrong about it - a faint lime glow. I called someone from the hallway to read it out, and after reading a strange incantation, the glow enveloped around him, then faded. Said dwarf couldn't tell if he felt any difference after that.

I reach for my pocket and take the letter out of it, then give it to Drazoth.

- Here is said letter. I hope you can find out what spell was used here.

Drazoth tries to hide that the conversation is boring for him, though he takes the letter and without even looking at it says:

- I'll see what I can do.  Keep an eye on the person who read it.  If he starts acting or feeling strange, have him wash himself using soap.  I'm not sure weather it will help, but soap does have anti-magic properties.  You may wish to stockpile some just in case.

- I'm in friendly terms with PsychoAngel, so stockpilng soap should be easy. Also, I noticed that recently I'm able to detect magic. It started when I became Klan-Master, and then met Don Pedro. How can I improve upon it, so I can recognise magic properties?

- I can provide some training.  Meet me down in the caverns when you get the chance.  I spend most of my time down there, as I won't be disturbed, nor will my work disturb others.  Is there anything else before we begin?

I started to consider all the possible questions, then said:

- I'm not sure... Who, or rather what is Don Pedro? And how he knows my thoughts about Nifih? I sent the report about her only to Chief Inquisitor.

Drazoth shared some basic information about Don Pedro with Klan-Master, mentioning Regenreich, and telling him to be carefull.

- I'll be. I think that we should talk about my predecessor now.

- Certainly.  Some of my information about him comes second hand, through my predecessor Drazoth the 2nd.  He wasn't able to get very close to Dark One, so the information is incomplete.  All I know is that he was allied with some necromancers operating out of a place called SanctumCoal.

- Do you know what he could left as a legacy? Or anything about his actions when he was still in Doomforests? What happened to him anyway?

- I'll get there.  At any rate, my predecessor wasn't to successful in gaining information before he was discovered.  He managed to hide what he had found for me to obtain before the lesser necromancers killed him.

Drazoth pauses for a moment, trying to hide his emotions, and takes a drink from the bottle. I waited for him to finish, then taken out a bottle of quinoa beer from my backpack and drink. Then I said:

- I feel for you.

After a while I told him to go on with the story.

- When I arrived, I began looking for what my brother had left.  He had managed to hide it rather cleverly I must say.  Once I had found it all, I began to infiltrate the MechaTechno.  Once I had done that, I used some minor magic to send a message to Dark One. We then worked out a time in place to meet face to face.  The time was at night, the place was here.

I take another drink of beer. And say that he should continue.

- We met here, and managed to come to an agreement.  I also discovered his association with SanctumCoal was something he disliked, as he only wanted answers and they said they could provide them.  However, I think they were delaying to try and keep him around longer.  At any rate, my original intent was to preform some pre-emptive damage control, as a group of out of hand necromancers could cause great damage.

After a while of consideration Drazoth adds:

- That's all I can tell you for now I'm afraid, as I didn't have much access to his organization.  You could do us both a favour and fill in the gaps yourself.  The Mad Doctor's notes might be a good place to start, as I know Dark One slipped him some of his own at one point. I think that I should go now.

- Thank you for your time, and answers. If you'll need any help from the order, just write me a letter.

Drazoth the 3rd takes his bottle of rum into his hand and leaves the dinning hall. I decided to leave it too, and go to my office to write a letter to Don Pedro.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 03, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

I've returned. I managed to escape Him for a while. I'm hiding out here in the body of one born of my soul, as my previous vessel was slain. I've returned the body to mortal levels of strength, as I'm trying to lay low. I'm going to try to make the best of my time here, hopefully without notifying Him.

- The military. Someone thought they could make everyone both melee and ranged fighters. That doesn't work, dwarves are too stupid to use both at the same time. I've made separate squads for ranged and melee fighters. That includes the Order of the Ale, which Dark was pissed about. I gave him a better office to compensate.
 - The trash. It's everywhere. How did it get this bad in only two overseerships? I've ordered most of it dumped, but the dwarves can't reach all of it.
 - The graveyards. We need more. I've ordered a room dug for coffins, which we have plenty of. You're welcome.

And now for more stuff.

- I ordered some captured wild animals trained.
 - All grazers are being butchered. Otherwise they're going to starve, as evidenced by several cages full of desiccated ungulates.
 - Elves came and I traded some stuff they left here for some exotic animals.
 - Had Minister Smunstu's foot splinted. Not sure why this hasn't been done yet.
 - Began setting up for a ritual.
 - A possessed guy made a bracelet.
 - Humanoid of grime and filth in the third cavern. Hopefully it can't get in.

I'm surprised the dwarves are listening to a three-year-old girl. I guess they've seen weirder.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 03, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »

Snip

Well, that will definitely be useful. As promised, this be the last bit until plot actually starts moving on. Makes you wonder how long were we stuck in limbo... (I mean, story wise, this all would take time). Also, whatever was the curse on the letter, be assured, it was not my fault. Don Pedro's magic DRAINS colour from stuff, and if, say, something settled in the Latin that caused it to go cyan, he would not notice... If you do not see colour 24/7 for about an eternity you stop paying attention to it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could you give me more exact description of Faustus?

Edit: @Flame: Surprised at three year old in command? Have you seen the alternatives? Inqusition, MechaTechno, some other cultist, a possesed guy and a goblin... If I were in their shoes I would go with the three year old as well, at least they are unlikely to sacrifice your immortal soul to demons intentionally.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:12:21 pm by exodius1 »
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 03, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

Game crashed without saving. Redoing everything.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 03, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »

Game crashed without saving. Redoing everything.

Yeah, that seems to be a thing...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 03, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

Maybe it's for the best - that fire-breathing bird broke down the door and was wrecking Astville. Can it get into the main fort from there? It might happen again.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 03, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »

Maybe it's for the best - that fire-breathing bird broke down the door and was wrecking Astville. Can it get into the main fort from there? It might happen again.
Safe to say nobody knows how accessing Doomforests works anymore...

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 03, 2015, 07:34:13 pm »

I have to say, whoever was the bastard to let those pe(s)t live in the fort shall pay... I will haev to kill everything to get above 10fps, and that is not guaranteed...
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 144