Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to mod stone layers (Marble) so it appears everywhere?  (Read 1130 times)

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to mod stone layers (Marble) so it appears everywhere?
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:00:58 am »

I want Marble to be present within every stone layer (Soil, Sedimentary, Igneous (both), and Metamorphic).
I made a change into the raw file and added those values to it but when I prospected a prospective volcano embark, the estimated value was less than 100,000. I checked another location and it was over 600,000(!), which was great, but why so slim on the volcano embark? Is the environments in which stone layers will appear hard-coded, or am I just doing it wrong?

Marble Raw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 little bugs in the code. 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
117 bugs in the code.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to mod stone layers (Marble) so it appears everywhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 09:06:04 am »

You've modded it so it can appear everywhere. In that volcano area, the dice roll just probably landed on dacite, rhyolite, basalt or one of the other lava stones.

Instead of having it appear as whole layers, make it so it occurs everywhere in large clusters instead - take your cue from microcline, it does just that. Then it only has to compete with magnetite, orthoclase and microcline instead of every other possible layer stone.

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:09 am »

That did work thanks. I was able to find a suitable embark with over 1 million (!) marble on prospect.
Now, though, the problem is that when my sufficiently skilled miners mine out a marble tile, they are leaving no marble behind. Plenty of other stone is left behind, but no marble! Why would that be happening?
117 bugs in the code.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:43:06 am »

That did work thanks. I was able to find a suitable embark with over 1 million (!) marble on prospect.
Now, though, the problem is that when my sufficiently skilled miners mine out a marble tile, they are leaving no marble behind. Plenty of other stone is left behind, but no marble! Why would that be happening?

As in it's NEVER leaving any behind? Or have you tried mining out a large area? Miner skill has no relation on the % chance of dropping a stone boulder anymore.

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

As in after mining out several hundred (through the course of laying out my fortress), I have not yet seen a single boulder of Marble fall.
117 bugs in the code.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:50:43 am »

As in after mining out several hundred (through the course of laying out my fortress), I have not yet seen a single boulder of Marble fall.
Did you happen to try to replace the soil layers with marble as well?  Soil will never leave boulders, and I'm not sure anyone has ever tried to make the same material be "stone" and "soil" simultaneously.  Maybe soil-ness dominates.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:57 am »

Did you happen to try to replace the soil layers with marble as well?  Soil will never leave boulders, and I'm not sure anyone has ever tried to make the same material be "stone" and "soil" simultaneously.  Maybe soil-ness dominates.
:o good catch. That's probably it. Also
 >:( That is very annoying. Oh well glad I kept the gen params. Wanted to make some other changes to it anyway...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:00:59 am by Geoclasm »
117 bugs in the code.