Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fniff's Twine Projects: The Computer is Your Friend  (Read 727 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Fniff's Twine Projects: The Computer is Your Friend
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:23:38 am »

So, I recently discovered Twine, a tool to create your own choose-your-own-adventure games, as well as more traditional text games if you screw around with it enough. It's great for getting results fast, which is probably one of the main reasons I am not good at anything that isn't Inform, and I doubt my skill at that. I've screwed around a bit, but I have crated one thing I am quite proud of.
I imagine you're aware of the Paranoia tabletop roleplaying game. If you aren't, read this. It's an adequate explanation. If you recall further, there is a section of the book where it describes a "solo mission", a choose your own adventure game set in a typical Paranoia mission. Backstabbing! Treachery! Secret societies! And all of it rather unreadable and prone to accidental spoilers due to the way the page is set up. I tried my best to fix that, and came up with a pretty good version of it!
PARANOIA: THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND
Here are the features.
* Play as David, vaguely generic troubleshooter out to avenge his lost guiding a little girl to looking for his dead wife look, he's basically out to save his own ass, okay?
* Epilogue!
* Your actions matter (Most of the time!)
* Neat-looking interface that most likely won't break on your computer!
* Over 12 endings! Or 8! Or maybe just four, I didn't check!
* Oh, by the way, if you're reading this, you are committing treason due to the law against spoilers instituted by the Computer just now. Please report to a termination booth immediately.

Here are the things I'm not happy with and would like to improve:
* The markers for the epilogue can be a little silly.
* No indication for your skill levels in rolls.

This topic may be host to infectious parasites more games as I continue to develop them. I might even hold votes and ask for advice. Feel free to criticize my terrible, terrible coding.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Fniff's Twine Projects: The Computer is Your Friend
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:23:58 am »

Reserved. Note: if you thought I was actually making things out of twine, you're in for a disappointment.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:26:32 am by Fniff »

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
Re: Fniff's Twine Projects: The Computer is Your Friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:54 am »

Colour me ultraviolet. I am intrigued. PTW.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers