Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Craigtooth Boars; non-breeding or just slow?  (Read 1023 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Craigtooth Boars; non-breeding or just slow?
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:54 am »

This is my second embark using the animal, so the odds of all 4 being duds twice in a row seem rather low.  I recall seeing a patch note that general plant & animal growth is much slower than in vanilla, but my 2 wagon-pulling Oxen just had a calf in the first month.  So does anyone have experience with Craigtooths?  For planning purposes, would be nice to have an ETA on how long until I can expect a batch of piglets.  They have a moderately sized mud/clay room in the first z-level, and have grown quite large.  Related query; what Workshop do I need to harvest their tusks?  Only relevant option I could find is the standard 'shear creature', but that didn't work.  Any info is appreciated :)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craigtooth Boars; non-breeding or just slow?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:59:52 am »

If you embarked with them, it means that you chose them on the embark screen, right?

On that screen, you have 1 line for the adult male, kid male, adult female and kid female, when they exist.
Depending on the creature and the race you play, you might only have males, females, no kids, or all 4.
If you only buy males, you will only get males.

As for the tusks, it seems that it is indeed the "shear" from the farmer's workshop, so you might want to place the workshop close to or in the 'pen', just like you would for sheep and the likes.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:55 am »

I just checked them individually, I have 4 Females and 1 Male, all fully grown.  Yet they refuse to make future pork chops baby pigs :(  Regarding tusks, good to know I had the right workshop.  Once the permanent kitchens area is built, I will relocate their pen.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:07 pm »

Are any of them armored? Armored animals are sterile, to prevent players from breeding them for the free iron/steel that the young would be born wearing.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »

Are any of them armored? Armored animals are sterile, to prevent players from breeding them for the free iron/steel that the young would be born wearing.
I love that this is even a thing.  However, I am pleased to report that after a full 10 months of rolling in the mud and nomming on grubs, I was finally rewarded with several litters of piglets :D  I think once the second generation is born I will have a stable population.  Then a few choice Boars can be sent to the Butcher or Armory for their respective training.  With the latter, my goal is to ultimately wind up with something like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYjJ341_Fg&t=31s

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:43:03 pm »

Now, you just have to set up your autobutcher correctly, and you are set.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks