Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 23495 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: IT BEGINS
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2014, 04:56:35 am »

The month is very nearly halfway through and I'm sitting pretty at ~2000 words. I feel like giving up.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

@Sappho,

Glad things are getting back on track for you. I did read your blog, but I don't have an account on there so I can't +1, but I personally shudder at trying to pants a project of this size, so I salute your pioneering spirit.

The month is very nearly halfway through and I'm sitting pretty at ~2000 words. I feel like giving up.

There was some quote about giving up elsewhere in the thread, I think?

@inEQUALITY
No idea if you're interested or not but there's a lot of tagging and organizational features like that in scrivener that may be useful for edits. I'm with you on the "write til it's done" bit, though. Last year I collapsed and ended up not finishing until March, and I hated that.

@Malt_Hitman
Halfway is a huge motivator, but every bit milestone after that gets even better. I have no doubts you'll charge on through at this rate.

I'm up to 26,450 words or so, and I finally fleshed out the outline for the rest of my book. The way is open before me, and only typing between me and the end. It's shaping up to be pretty brutal for all involved, so I'm looking forward to all the explosions. Excelsior!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2014, 12:15:10 pm »

So it's day 12 and I've already gotten through 14 out of 22 chapters... so I have 8 chapters to last me the next 18 days.

...I'm gonna abruptly run out of material. What to do? :\

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2014, 12:21:23 pm »

HugoLuman: don't worry about "finishing" the 50k words. That's a crazy lot of words. Just set yourself a personal goal. Write every day, even if it's just one sentence. Just something that you can accomplish without killing yourself. Whatever you manage, it will be something to be proud of, simply because you didn't give up.

Caz: You could try going back and adding more details and filler. Flesh out the scenes, hit some more senses. Include some behind-the-scenes stuff that doesn't need to be in there. Add a little more backstory. You can always cut that stuff out in the end, if you decide you don't want it, but you never know. You might stumble upon something really useful. Or you can add an epilogue, or a prologue. As long as you're writing something, anything, you're not wasting your time. You will learn *something* from the experience.

As for me, I'm still sick. Went home a little early from work today and canceled my private student (for the second week in a row... I feel like such a jerk.) Tomorrow I have to teach the little kids, but I've gotten permission to work from home on Friday. I do still actually have to work, but I don't have to do too much, and I can do it in my pajamas.

I just very nearly went to bed early without having written anything. I actually forgot all about it. I cleared my head a little by playing Kairo for a while, which for some reason really helps me focus and shake some of the cobwebs out of my brain. Now I need to write. If I can do 2000 a day, I'll have caught up within a few days... I don't think I'll catch up today. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Quick poll! I have two different ideas on how to continue with this story. One of them is my original idea, and the other is something I came up with today. The question is, which of these would you rather read:

A story where it's not clear if the narrator/main character is really seeing ghosts. It seems like she is, but it's never quite proven one way or another, and it remains possible that she's just crazy. Think Haruki Murakami, surreal stuff that never quite explains itself.

or

A story where it turns out ghosts are totally real, and it completely redefines humanity's conception of what reality is and how science works. Or if not humanity, then at least some people who find out about it. Think Neil Gaiman / American Gods.

I think I'll go with the majority opinion on this one. It's all improv, so I'm not particularly attached to one story, and anyway, both the ideas are mine.

Also, this story is rapidly returning to being fairly lighthearted and fun and not at all terrifying. For now. I suppose later on I'll have to go back and sort of fix the consistency there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:15:48 pm by Sappho »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2014, 01:51:10 pm »

I've only read the first couple of chapters (exams...), but I think the second one makes more sense. It seems to start off as kind of happy-ish children's book stuff, and shifting into surreal horror part-way through would be a bit odd.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2014, 02:45:01 pm »

I have stopped competing, as I stopped. My story had material, writing time was not made to happen, I started doing music more, and school intensified. It's still my fault, but hey- I still have the ideas (and am developing them more now) and I'm getting more music stuff figured out!

TL;DR: Doomblade was lazy-ish and started NaNo but odds are won't finish it. Also, I need to work on my time management skills.

Sappho- while I myself like both directions, the people finding out about ghosts can go through a surreal phase, if you want to test both out first. Personally, though, I prefer the finding out route, simply because it provides more closure and I like the opportunities for extra worldbuilding?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:47:04 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #216 on: November 12, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »

Word count finished for today! Update posted! And so far public opinion is 100% for "ghosts are totes real," so I'll lean in that direction unless I get feedback to the contrary.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 12, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »

Word count finished for today! Update posted! And so far public opinion is 100% for "ghosts are totes real," so I'll lean in that direction unless I get feedback to the contrary.

You have my +1.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:40 am »

Anyone up for a word sprint today? I'm on IRC but it's empty. I'm hoping to get my word count done before the Humble Weekly Bundle rolls over, so within the next 2 hours or so, and I was surprised to see how productive I was sprinting with Caz yesterday.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:17 am »

How do word sprints work, again?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2014, 11:52:49 am »

You just set a time limit and everyone writes as much as they can before time runs out. Whoever writes the most words in that time, wins. For example, we could say start now and finish at 10 minutes past the next hour. Want to give it a try?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2014, 11:58:16 am »

If we can start at the start of the next hour, sure. I'll need to fix my current word count to reflect the loss of the main copy of my novel :/

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:49 pm »

Aw, sorry, man. That's a bummer.

When you say the next hour, do you mean 57 minutes from now? Or shall we maybe start at :15 (so 11 minutes from now) and end at :30?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

I started at 9am my time, and it would go to whenever. Probably just an hour because I have other things that need doing before I go to work later.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »

Oh, did we start already? This is easier to manage in IRC. : )

I think an hour is a bit too long for me to be effective. Let's check in at :30 and compare word counts. Sound OK?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21