Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 23465 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: Keep Going!
« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2014, 02:19:12 pm »

FINISHED.

Posting the last part on my blog now. Wrapped up the story nicely, I think, though on the second pass I'll have to remove a few random things from near the beginning that I never got back around to. And make it a little more consistent in general. Still... I just wrote a whole goddam novel in one month. And it even has an ending.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to cry tears of pride.

You've certainly earned it, congratulations to you!

And everyone else, of course! Good show. We had a much better turnout than last year if I recall, that's for sure.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »

Congratulations to all winners! I should have the time to participate next year - y'all will be here then, right? Riiiiiight?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2014, 02:52:47 pm »

Congratulations Sappho!  It’s great to see you pull through and hit that 50k!  :D

Congratulations inEQUALITY! If you were still going for 100k then you did double what I managed to eek out in a single month. :P 

Anyone who wrote anything this year did far more than I did last year and that’s wonderful! :)  Like people have posted above.  November can be a tight month to get in 50k worth of typing along with all the other months that are terrible but if you don’t even try and start then you’re sure not to finish so starting’s really the hard part.  Now you just need to keep working at it bit by bit!  :D

The ending to my story is still getting hammered out and I have huge holes to fill in so hopefully I’ll manage to get “done” at some point in December. :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2014, 04:00:38 pm »

Congrats to the victors! I hope everyone had a wonderful time, even if you didn't get to write as much as you had hoped. And there's nothing stopping you from continuing your current story or competing again next year!
2015 will be my year, surely!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2014, 11:36:48 pm »

Congratulations inEQUALITY! If you were still going for 100k then you did double what I managed to eek out in a single month. :P 

Thanks for the congratulations! And congrats to you too on finishing! Sadly, I had to cut it down to 50k this year thanks to life interrupting (a full week without writing anything more than a page is tough on the overall word count, as it happens). But still, I'm just happy I finished off at the end of the month and never dropped below par for a single day. And for the second year in a row at that, even if I didn't finish early as I did in 2013. Maybe next year I can tackle that 100k challenge properly. We shall see!
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2014, 01:22:02 am »

Ooooookay, so in a bid to NOT procrastinate on finishing my novel like I did last year...

I just sprinted the last 5,000 words, ending with 5 minutes left before midnight. My first draft is complete at 62,000 words. In celebration (and exhaustion), I'm offering anyone who wants one a copy of my first draft, crappy self-done illustrations and all.

It's a noir-esque detective story about a mad science black market in a post-cyberpunk megacity. The summary and an excerpt are Here.
If you would like a copy, please PM me with the email address to send it to and a preferred format if you want something other than .doc.

Thanks for reading, and congratulations to everyone once again! Pat yourselves on the back!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2014, 01:29:35 am »

Congratulations to everyone! Yaaaaayyyyy!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2014, 06:07:38 am »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:35 am »

Oh my god. I... I just got home from work and... And I don't know what to do with myself...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!
« Reply #294 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:54 am »

And to those who didn't make the 50,000... Don't worry, I didn't either.
Yep, the OP actually completely failed NaNoWriMo. I wrote about 8000 words on the official counter before I crashed and burned. I then gave up at around day eleven.
Anyway, I have now written 12,000 words. It's a nice base and I think I can work off it.

Remember, kids. Failed crops make excellent fertilizer for the soil.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »

Oh my god. I... I just got home from work and... And I don't know what to do with myself...

Make every day NaNoWriMo! :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »

In my selfish haste to self-aggrandize, I forgot two important thing for the group at large!
I am ashamed...

1) Re: Winner goodies!
For those of us who stand glorious in triumph (which is all of us, but the purple bar is what it is), the NaNo site will be sending you a list of delicious codes for sponsor offers. Be advised that most of these offers will end on December 31st, so claim them early!

2) Script feedback!
I crave manuscripts like zombies crave brains! If you want another pair of eyes to look over your draft, please PM me and I will give you my email address so you can send me a copy. I will do a read-over of all of them and send back a commentary-laden document menacing with spikes of opinion. Note that this is good for everyone, regardless of word count. Your story should be heard!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »

I didn't participate this year, I knew in advance that I would be way too busy, and I was right. (I've written about 4,000 non-NaNo words this month)

Congratulations to everyone who did participate though, even if you didn't win!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 01, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »

2) Script feedback!
I crave manuscripts like zombies crave brains! If you want another pair of eyes to look over your draft, please PM me and I will give you my email address so you can send me a copy. I will do a read-over of all of them and send back a commentary-laden document menacing with spikes of opinion. Note that this is good for everyone, regardless of word count. Your story should be heard!

I am so, so incredibly tempted just to see thoughts on what I wrote from someone else. What I have is a really rough half of a first draft: the pacing is damn poor; it's almost entirely static and talk-y for the majority of it; many chapters feel similar to others; at times, I leave out too much internal processing while at others I give too much on a tangent; not enough description AT ALL, despite the words-per-chapter numbering anywhere from 4500 - 6000 word, save one shorter one I needed to expand a bit; I dump exposition way too often sometimes; characters seem to change personalities, whether by word or action, between chapters at times when they shouldn't; and at the worst, there were moments where dialogue or even prose were less my writing and more me thinking aloud with moments of fatigue-fueled immaturity/stupidity; some chapters have very terse prose, while others - namely later written ones, after I had started back into reading some C J Cherryh - have very wordy prose. Plus, it's not even finished, being half of what I have planned, and there's even a chapter or two in the middle of the thing left unwritten so far.

But man am I tempted. Outside feedback can be incredibly helpful, especially from someone who doesn't know me personally. I'll be thinking on it...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:47:31 am by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:41 am »

2) Script feedback!

This sounds good, but my first drafts are rather embarrassing messes. :P
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21