Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 23507 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 11:55:12 am »

If only my computer was still in my room. I type at over 30 words per minute (on real keyboards, I suck at using touchscreens) and my keyboard is noisy, so if I were to participate in this then my family would have to tolerate me in the corner of the room, and my keyboard producing a sound reminiscent of a Gatling gun continuously firing during an earthquake.

I have a really vague idea in my head, but I don't know if I should do it or not. It's an over-the-top story about a soldier on a big mission or whatever, kind of like Metal Gear, except it's nothing like Metal Gear. I dunno, I'm having a really tough time describing it, I feel like people would hate it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:08 pm »

Give a soldier a cause, and you give him life. In stories, anyway. I suggest writing down a rough plan of the story, working out big details then filing down to smaller details.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

That sounds like a plan. Get it? Because. Heh. Heheh.

I just wonder if that's a good idea for a story. It would be suspenseful, and have action, not the way I made it sound a minute ago. It just doesn't feel very pizazz, but I can't think of any other good ideas. None that I wanted to write 50 thousand words about, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:23:30 pm by IronTomato »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »

I'm planning a novel about AI and the humans who create them. It will be as unscientific as hell, but realism is barely even a secondary concern for me. I'm also hoping to avoid falling into this trope.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 12:22:25 pm »

That sounds like a plan. Get it? Because. Heh. Heheh.

I just wonder if that's a good idea for a story. It would be suspenseful, and have action, not the way I just made it sound.
I learned from the SCP Foundation that the stupidest of ideas can result in brilliance. The most affecting SCP I ever read was literally "Australian telepathic spiderbro". Just write it!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »

What Fniff said. You have an idea? More than many people have. Go with it! Breathe life into it!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:40 pm »

It's been a really long time since I've written anything for fun. You guys just encouraged me, so keep in mind that if this results in some sort of abomination, the blood is on your hands. :P

As soon as I think of a name for the NaNoWriMo website that isn't IronTomato, I'll register.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2014, 02:15:21 pm »

I don't think I'll be doing this, after all. Baaaaaaww. Next year I'll have plenty of free time, though - might as well go for a 75k or such then.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »

I wasn't planning on doing this, but I had a f*cked-up dream last night that could make a good basis for a drama/psychological thriller.
Hrmm...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »

Unless you want to pants it, you better get planning right quick. :P

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »

I think I'm going to change what I was going to write. I want to try a Noir-esque mystery, with fantasy settings. I'll have to rework a lot of my planning, and if I run afoul of the start time, I'll just go back to my other idea, but I hope I get things plotted.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:57 am »

My current plan is to improv the whole thing, using some kind of random daily writing prompts to guide myself. Either a "word of the day" site or the random generator I used for the story a day challenge before I had to drop out due to real life. No planning, no plotting. (No time for either.) I am actually looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2014, 05:37:18 am »

That's more or less my plan. I have a couple of scripts that output random names and suchlike, so that should help a bit.

Yoink, do eet. There are no downsides!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:34 am »

I tried to do this once back around 2007 or 2008 and got nothing done.  I think I'm going to give it a try again this year with a sci-fi setting that I had in a fever dream recently after consuming numerous pages of text off of the Warhammer 40k wiki.  I'm on the site as Malt_Hitman.  I'll try and go through the thread an add those who gave their usernames but feel free to add me first if I miss you.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2014, 01:09:58 am »

Alright, I hit my preparedness limit for this year, since I take 24 hours off before midnight on the first.

I've got all the major characters sheeted, and about 12-13 scenes of the plot outline, so hopefully that carries me halfway through the month and past halfway through the book. By then I'm sure some more details will come up, but I'm way ahead of last year already.

Going back to add folks from the thread, and all that. Still there as this name if I miss anyone.

EDIT: And done. By the way, since I missed the Cover Page postings a few pages back:
Spoiler: Have a Cover (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:53:42 am by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21