Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Submergedhammers - A Skill Lock Challenge fort  (Read 1960 times)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Submergedhammers - A Skill Lock Challenge fort
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »

Year One - The beginninghttp://imgur.com/a/xydAe#0

Year Two - Undead Skunks & an Ettinhttp://imgur.com/a/NY12W#0

Year Three - Cautious Harvesting & Preparing for Blood:  http://imgur.com/a/hCPIW#0

Year Four - Ninja Zombie Ogres & The Hall of Blood:  http://imgur.com/a/nB8Uf#0

Skill Lock Challenge: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143731.msg5660254#msg5660254

The rules of the challenge that I'll be using:

Embark:

Dwarves:
Each of the seven dwarves is assigned 1 skill at level 5.  You'll need to pick carefully (see the rules below).

Items:
2 Picks
1 Anvil
100 booze
100 food
10 Stone
10 Wood

The rules that I'll be using:

1)  Dwarves may only ever be assigned a labor that they have at least 1 level in, with the exception of military and nobles.
2)  Nobles may be assigned at will without restriction.
3)  Military squads must be lead by someone that already has some skill in the weapon of choice for the squad.  Everyone in a squad must use the same type of item.
4)  All unskilled labor may be used without restriction (this includes things like hauling and feeding/watering)
5)  Once a dwarf becomes a Master (Level 13) in a skill, (s)he may take on a single apprentice; this apprentice must be assigned the master's labor and have all other labor unassigned (not including hauling or dwarf care).  Once a dwarf is marked as an apprentice, that dwarf must remain an apprentice under that master until they reach level 8 (Adept) in the labor.  At this point they become a journeyman in the skill and leaves the apprenticeship, which frees it up for the master to take on a new apprentice.  The only other way out of an apprenticeship is death.  A dwarf MAY undertake as many apprenticeships as you want, however, they may only take part in a single apprenticeship at a time and they must complete the active apprenticeship before taking another.
6)  Even if a dwarf is master in multiple skills, they may only have 1 apprentice at a time.
7)  You must toggle the {h} order to "Only farmers Harvest".  This makes it so that grower skill is not trained through gathering.
8 )  Children, upon reaching adulthood, may be assigned 1 labor of choice.  The pool of skills they may choose from is limited to skills their parents have, their friends have, or in the case of friends that are children, the friend's parents.
9)  Any labor that is given through a strange mood is treated like a normal legendary skill regardless to if the dwarf originally had that labor assigned.  The dwarf can be assigned the labor and take on an apprentice like any other legendary laborer.
10)  The benefit of legends: Any dwarf that achieves Legendary may be assigned an untrained labor of choice.  This simulates a kind of multiclassing.  This can be done each time a dwarf reaches legendary in a skill.  Military, physical, and social skills are not counted for this.  The skill pool is limited to jobs related to their legendary class (ie.  gem setting after getting legendary in gem cutting), or skills based on their item preferences.
11)  Diagnose what you can treat:  Any dwarf that has any of the healing skills can be given the diagnostician labor as a freebie.  Conceptually, if you can treat something, you probably know how to make a diagnosis related to that treatment.  Granted, any dwarf with diagnosis can diagnose any injury or ailment, however, without the skill to heal it, diagnosis doesn't actually provide anything of actual utility.
12)  Military for life.  Soldiers are in the active military until they die or are discharged due to injury.  No using the military system to avoid the clothing industry for civilians.  Emergency conscription is allowed, but you have to conscript ALL non-critical dwarves to battle an immediate threat.  The squad must be disbanded after the threat has passed.
13)  Masonry/carpentry supervisors.  Any dwarf may have masonry or carpentry enabled for building walls & floors.  The workshops have to be assigned to the specific skilled dwarf.  Any skill gained from building walls and floors dont count towards enabling that skill for a dwarf
14)  Each dwarf that has a skill enabled has to have their own workshop for that skill.

Any feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:43:52 pm by Dolwin »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Submergedhammers - A Skill Lock Challenge fort
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »

Masonry/carpentry supervisors.  Any dwarf may have masonry or carpentry enabled for building walls & floors.  The workshops have to be assigned to the specific skilled dwarf.  Any skill gained from building walls and floors dont count towards enabling that skill for a dwarf

I really like this rule.  I'm pretty sure building constructions doesn't give any XP either, so it shouldn't screw things up so long as you keep your shop assignments locked down.

EDIT: Double checked it.  Yes, constructions give 0 XP.  Buildings (such as supports) give small amounts of XP, so those need to be handled more carefully.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:40:57 pm by Tacomagic »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:02 pm »

Year two is in the books.   http://imgur.com/a/NY12W#0

Quite the eventful year.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:54 pm »

Watching; interesting challenge you have there.

I like the presentation format.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:33 pm »

Year 3 is halfway done.  These turns take quite a bit longer than if I was just playing normally.  Regardless, I have a teaser image to keep what interest there is alive:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:19 pm »

Year 3 is halfway done.  These turns take quite a bit longer than if I was just playing normally. 

No kidding.  I played and recorded 7 years of my last fort.  Took like a month.  Ended up abandoning it because, despite having a tower and goblins as neighbors, the only invaders I got were 3 werehares, a giant, and a forgotten beast.

Just too boring to make good material.  My mistake, which you happily didn't make, was not picking an evil biome.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:01:14 am »

What's a migrant trap exactly. Are you going to eat them?

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:01 pm »

Year 3 is complete.  http://imgur.com/a/hCPIW#0

More shenanigans this year.  I hope you all enjoy!

What's a migrant trap exactly. Are you going to eat them?

Basically airlocks.  One on each corner where if the fortress is on lockdown and migrants arrive, I have some places out of the way where they can gather safely and then be let into the fortress while keeping everything else out.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:35:22 am »

For those of us who like archiving things, I've made a small python script for downloading imgur albums. There's no good way of displaying the downloaded album (like the imgur website does) yet, but at least you get all the raw data stored locally.

https://gist.github.com/Meneth32/bb0f61efa06c484cb4d0

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 01:42:47 pm »

Year 4 is up now.  http://imgur.com/a/nB8Uf#0

Very eventful year.  I probably should have broken it into two halves with so many images, but I like the yearly format.

Please leave any suggestions or questions for me!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 01:05:16 am »

Being one with desert lime wood wood has to be kind of confusing.