Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset  (Read 63535 times)

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 02:11:16 pm »

Thanks so much for the continued updates, this is my favorite tileset!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 02:13:41 pm »

Dig the magneto helmets.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 01:42:36 pm »

I know I go back and forth, up and down, and here and around a lot, so I apologize. I made some modifications to some tiles, namely the clubs symbol (Flowers), the 1/4 (leaves, branches, and roots), and the cent sign (Hatch Covers).  Either they just weren't simple or bold enough to suit my fancy, or they just didn't look quite right. I also made some corrections to some letters. For example I never noticed that the letter "G" was thinner than the rest of the capital letters until now. Also the letters utilizing "i". I don't think I'm very good at this at creating tilesets... but I'm drawn to doing it anyway. :/

Tileset Updated 2015 08 18

Screenshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Fallingferret

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »

Posting just to tell you I love the hell out of this tileset, and to thank you for making it.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2015, 09:48:20 pm »

Thank ye kindly! Very nice of you to say so :D

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2015, 03:23:56 am »

It looks like I chose poorly for my image host and with some patience and practice I've been getting better at using github. You can find the tileset, color scheme, and installation instructions here:

https://github.com/RogueYun/SimpleMood

Other than that no changes have been made. I'll see what I can do on updating the first post for posterity.

Kraetzin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

Been looking for a tileset like this for ages. Loving it! Cheers for maintaining it.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »

Let me add to the chorus and say thank you for this tileset! Since I tried it, I can't use any other, not even full-blown graphics sets. They all fall short of the new standard of clarity that Simple Mood has set. Amazingly sharp at 16x16, with no anti-aliasing! It deserves inclusion in the next LNP for sure. For the record, I use Lee's "Natural" color scheme by default.

I have added some tweaks to it for my personal use. For example:
  • Adding some subtle dark gray shading to the space in double-wall segments and background for period, comma, left quote, and right quote.
  • Filling in the levers red and green for visibility.
  • Tweaking the Greek letters to better match the geometry of the Latin letters.

But what'll happen is that I'll use my tweaked version for a while, and then get sick of it and return back to the original. I even made an all-Greek version, but it has been difficult to figure out: the relationship of accented letters to non-accented (elves vs. military elves, for example), which characters to include (because some are not used) and how to map them to the current Latin letters, how to replace characters like å and æ and ?, what to do with the current assortment of Greek letters or Latinized Greek letters like ß, and how to include polytonal accents and breath marks and obsolete letters. Someday, when I get it right, I'll share that version, or maybe someone else wants to do it. If they do, I hope they base it on Simple Mood!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:04:37 am by PopTart »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2016, 02:46:56 am »

Thanks everyone for your moral support! It is good to feel appreciated!

So I've been lurking for quite a while now... The reason for that is that I haven't been able to justify a full update with only the few changes that I had made over the past while... However, today I got off my lazy bucket and made some changes to better adhere to ASCII standards. The reason for this is that I have been approached several times by individuals who would like to include my tileset in other projects.  I could not find myself justified in making changes to improve appearances for dwarf fortress when I knew that they could potentially make its use in other projects more difficult. I have also noticed that people like to use what I have done as a basis for their own style of tileset. I would like to support these individuals by giving them a strong base to work with without having to weed out anything overly intricate.

In short, I'm going to do my best to continue to simplify so that others can more easily complexify.

ASCII Tileset Updated 2016 04 02

Tileset Updated 2016 04 02

Again, I want you to know that my work, as usual, I consider in the public domain (considering the glyph size I doubt there is anything here I could patent anyway). I want you to feel free to use and distribute this however you please! I would love to be notified when you use it if you feel so inclined. Just to gratify my inner pride :D

*edit*: I have since made a change to the integral sign at the bottom of the tileset (it wasn't a functional integral sign in ascii). The above tilesets aren't up to date (I like to leave them as I use this thread as an archive) but the tilesets in the first post should be continually up to date as I now have them linked to my github account.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:11:51 am by Rogue Yun »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:22 pm »

*Tileset updated!* (Refer to the first post)

Yet another unwanted update that no one asked for! Just cleaned up the tau, pi, cent, and British pound signs. The changes can be seen in the first post (if not, try refreshing). I keep whittling away at it and I think it is showing improvement, but that is just my opinion!

I'll keep on striving for that simplicity! I hope ya'll enjoy!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »

Huh, the pi being so short makes sense but it messes with my eye for some reason.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2016, 04:38:20 am »

Greek letters are so weird! I'm struggling with these guys... It would be much easier to design a cabinet and be done with it. You can get a gist of the oddness of it by doing a google search of the Greek lowercase pi and then taking a stroll in the tileset repository. Some people have capital pi, some people have lowercase pi the size of a capital letter. I get the idea that pi and tau are supposed to look somewhat alike... but in most of the tilesets, even some standard ascii from the early days of computers, they most certainly don't... :/

I'll keep messing around with it and see what I come up with. Thanks for the feedback!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:50 am »

I have not yet fully commited to an updated version of the tileset. I kept getting distracted by one problem or another. I'd like to share with you this tangent I'm going on so that either you can take pains to stop me or give me some encouragement. I'm kinda scared I might be going off the deep end! Here is what I am currently looking at.

Tileset:

Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm testing out a lot of changes in my attempt to make a truly basic ascii tileset. I'm trying to dig down to the roots of it's construction.

The walls, for the moment, no longer have rounded edges. This is a direction that I find myself reluctantly believing is for the better. I might make it so that the df version of the tileset retains the rounded edges and have the ascii version keep the sharp edges? Really this is a tough call to make.

The greek letters look better to me, but I've been staring at them for a while now and my mind has a tough time seeing the out of the box perspective.

I adjusted the question mark and its reverse form. The old ones looked a bit goofy to me.

I really want to thank PopTart for sending me an example of his modified version of my tileset. It contained most of the features he recommended and it helped me get a much needed new perspective! It looks very, very nice! If any of you are curious as to what it looks like perhaps if we were to ask him nicely he might post it here.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:11 am »

I don't think rounded or square or slightly crenelated or diagonal are inherently better - in my opinion, the two factors influencing that decision are 1) personal taste (often coupled with what room design you're planning to do - some just look better with diagonal walls for example), and 2) consistency with the rest of the tileset.
With yours, all symbols are very consistently thick, heavy and mostly orthogonal - square walls support that, and I think it looks very good in the screenshot.
On the other hand, all your symbols have very slightly rounded corners, and with (1 or 2 pixels) rounded corners, walls might fit in even better. Though you might want to have the walls (and floors) stick out a tiny little bit on purpose: to differentiate constructions from dynamic content (i.e. moving creatures, items, objects) and organic stuff (grass, trees, etc).
Whether to go all the way with consistency or purposely differentiate a bit is, again, a matter of taste though.

I don't think it would look good with fully diagonal walls in either case.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 10:20:18 am »

Well besides the weirdness where I have to copy/paste the quoted link because postimg doesn't show up, I am still kinda partial to the round corners on the walls because the whole set has that aesthetic. It's why I wanted the clipped corner partial-diagonals for mine, the sharp corner cutoffs are like the main "thing" about it that differentiates it from just being an upscaled curses.

Similarly the chunky lineweights and rounded corners say "simple mood" right away.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7