Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset  (Read 63675 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2016, 04:16:23 pm »

Thanks to Rogue Yun for your continued tinkering on this wonderful tileset! I'm happy to share my current experiments.

The Greek letters have been altered to fit the geometry of the Latin letters. Some of the letters have added serifs, but I think I prefer them the original way. I haven't figured out a rule for which capitals get serifs and which don't. Something you just have to feel, I guess.

I have played with transparency. It's nice that the white/black, color, and transparency can be played with independently to produce a mix of foreground, background, and set color. I don't know if you'd want to incorporate transparency, though. It might complicate the simplicity or make things too representative. The red and green ó/ň are just pragmatic.

For what it's worth, I like both the rounded corners and the straight corners on walls. Each has its merits. The curve of the rounded corners matches the letters, while the straight ones offer a nice contrast to the curved letters.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:26:40 pm by PopTart »

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »

I kept the original plant tau because it's so darn cute.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:27 pm »

You should try out putting a partially transparent black lining around the + and wall tiles. They look the same unengraved but are much less blinding and harsh upon engraving. By varying the detail within the black section, regions of more and less transparent black you can all sorts of effects or just go for a more simple effect that is easier to look at when engraved.

agm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 06:27:23 am »

I made an edit with diagonal walls and tweaked some of the tiles (the dwarves, @, pillar tile 255, and some other tiles.)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:16x16-RogueYun-AgmEdit.png

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2017, 10:00:29 am »

In commemoration of the new release of Dwarf Fortress and for Toady and his family who have given much of their time and sweat to provide us with a wonderful game to be grateful for, I now release the updated versions of my tilesets for the public and the public domain to do with as they wish! Thank you Toady for being one of the greatest inspirations an individual could have.

If the following links do not work see the first post... if the tilesets don't appear updated then delete your cache and try again.

Regular *Updated 2017 11 23*

ASCII *Updated 2017 11 23*

@agm I love it! Keep up the good work and thanks for posting!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:48 am »

Still my favorite! Many thanks for the update!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:01 am »

Still my favorite! Many thanks for the update!
Thanks for being supportive! Considering you might be the only one, let me know if any of the changes are too much of an eyesore and I'll try to make appropriate adjustments.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2017, 01:29:17 pm »

I've not started a new game on 0.44 yet but on an old save the new numbers don't look quite right, especially the one and seven. They're a bit too thin for my taste and sometimes don't line up right in trees. But I'll start a new game and see how it looks then.

Edit: started a new game in 0.44, numbers do look weird, in trees the trunk is now smaller than the branches. (or did I maybe forget to edit something)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:51:50 pm by Seleucian »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 06:50:39 am »

Tilesets are updated *2017 11 24* refer to the first post and delete your internet cache if you don't notice any changes.

@Seleucian Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking they were a bit out of place myself. I fleshed out the numbers and updated the tileset. I'm still wondering if they are more "Simple" than the previous numbers so your opinion matters very much to me.

As for the tree trunks, I use position 10

I usually make these changes in the d_init.txt file

Code: [Select]
PILLAR_TILE:10
TREE_TRUNK_PILLAR:10
TREE_TRUNK_PILLAR_DEAD:10
TREE_CAP_PILLAR:10
TREE_CAP_PILLAR_DEAD:10

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 09:26:13 am »

these numbers are definitely much better and fit much nicer with the rest of the tileset. Thanks for the continued effort!

I still find myself preferring the old number '1' , (with the 'bar' on the bottom) especially in trees. But that might just be me :)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2017, 10:28:24 am »

Feedback is amazing!

I am trying a couple different number designs for "1" trying to stick to the new number theme I have going. Let me know which looks good/you would prefer!

'

*edit* I am partial to the first one because it is less likely to be confused with lowercase "L" but if it doesn't look as good to you as the tree then that's fine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:30:14 am by Rogue Yun »

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2017, 10:59:37 am »

Ok, now I like the first one better :D (without the bottom) that just looks perfect

If you're looking for further feedback, I've got some very small things:
I don't really like how the arch on the lower case 'f' drops down
I've always felt the cabinet and young tree symbols to be a little out of place, a bit thin I guess. You did change it I noticed, looking at an older version, and it definitely looks better.

Anyways these are very very minor things, overall best tileset ever!

(also I prefer the regular tileset, with the cool soldiers)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:15:37 am by Seleucian »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »

Good Gravey! How long has that "f" been that way? Thanks so much for pointing these things out to me. You are absolutely right on all accounts! Sometimes I get so caught up inside that 16x16 pixel design of a single character I miss the out of the box/overall perspective.

How about this one?

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2017, 01:36:34 pm »

love the cabinet and young tree symbols!

the lower case 'f' still has sort of weird dot line at the end though, is that intended?

edit: some other letters have the little line too, but it somehow looks better in the lower case 'd' or 'h' than it does in the 'f'.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:42:01 pm by Seleucian »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »

I like the new numbers. The thicker stems seem to make them easier to read.

I thought "f" looked fine before. The old terminal on the "f" matched perfectly with the terminal on the "r". With the adjusted "f", it matches with the "c" and "g", and now the "r" is the only letter using that style.

I kind of want to like the serif on the "1", but I really like the curve on the bottom of the sans-serif "1".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7