Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset  (Read 63505 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »

love the cabinet and young tree symbols!

the lower case 'f' still has sort of weird dot line at the end though, is that intended?

edit: some other letters have the little line too, but it somehow looks better in the lower case 'd' or 'h' than it does in the 'f'.

Much appreciated! I've been struggling for the past year on the greek letters. They were a pain in the neck.

From what I am able to google about letters and their designs the line at the bottom of the "f" is a serif. My font is riddled with the problem of some letters having them and some not. So, trying to make it so the letters still conceivably work together is not the easiest for me. I'm reluctant to change the "f" to be without the serif, but if your push for the change I'll certainly try to oblige!

I like the new numbers. The thicker stems seem to make them easier to read.

I thought "f" looked fine before. The old terminal on the "f" matched perfectly with the terminal on the "r". With the adjusted "f", it matches with the "c" and "g", and now the "r" is the only letter using that style.

I kind of want to like the serif on the "1", but I really like the curve on the bottom of the sans-serif "1".

Thank ye kindly!

Do you think it might help if I were to make the "r" terminal match the rest of the letters?

Thank you guys so much! It is really helpful for me to get a different perspective!

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »

I kind of missed the thicker tips on the "r" and "f" at first, but I think I just needed time to adjust. I remember thinking they looked kind of long the first time I saw them, but then I got used to it and started feeling like the long tips were part of the style. The shorter version also matches the curve on the "j" if it matters.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2017, 04:27:33 am »

I like the 'r' and 'f' better this way, but it's just a very minor detail for me. Of course feel free to roll back the changes or take other suggestions.

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2017, 06:54:08 am »

Just one more tiny thing, I find it very hard to distinguish between the '0' and the '8' in game. Could you maybe alter one of them slightly?

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2017, 09:32:00 am »

How about this one?

Aaaand I'm going to gloss over the fact that now the "8" and the theta symbol are exactly the same... not sure how I can fix that without some drastic changes.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2017, 10:28:04 am »

An old version of your tileset (the one currently on the wiki) had indentations on the sides of the 8. Together with the diagonal line in the 0, that should be sufficient. Though I assume you did remove them in the first place to make the numbers look more similar.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2017, 01:01:00 pm »

Definitely an improvement, thanks. I don't think you need worry about the theta symbol too much, I can't really see any situation in which you'd need to tell them apart.

Nopal

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2017, 02:38:42 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:09:52 pm by Nopal »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2017, 08:45:15 pm »

@CLA Yeah, I could always regress back to the old numbers or try something new that isn't as simple... but these new numbers look darn good as water tiles in my opinion.

@Seleucian I don't think my OCD will let me rest until I come up with something to fix that theta symbol :/ But for now it is good enough.

@Nopal If ever you change machines and want a custom tileset I'll certainly make one for you! Thin numbers, @ symbol, and all!

Thanks everyone! I hope I have understood the comments correctly, but if not or if you feel I need to change something else I'm all ears! Your comments have helped to open my eyes to some things that I would have never seen without them (your comments, not my eyes).

I'm going to sit on the tileset for a while to try to get a feel for it, digest the comments and suggestions (and future comments), and will (hopefully) make an update sometime soon. Thanks again!

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »

Came across this lovely Counter-Strike font while perusing for for helpful material. It looked like a possible end to what I was striving for in my own tileset, so borrowing heavily from it I adapted it to my own works. What say you?

Possible Outcome of the Simple Mood font:

Nopal

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »

Came across this lovely Counter-Strike font while perusing for for helpful material. It looked like a possible end to what I was striving for in my own tileset, so borrowing heavily from it I adapted it to my own works. What say you?

Lookin good!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

risusinf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2018, 12:10:35 pm »

So i guess my search has finally ended, here it is, the perfect balance between "looking good" and "stay classic". Thank you for this beautiful tileset, Rogue Yun. I am really tempted to switch to it. The one thing i would change is the dwarves symbols, for some reason i can only accept those that close enough to the original representation. Also old "&" works better for me and "@" feels off. Anyway, great stuff.

============

I thought i made it better. I dunno.

============

Theta/8 situation
============

A better 7 maybe.

I've made some other questionable "improvements", and then returned to the original curses tileset for some mad experiments. I guess i never will be fully satisfied.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:09:44 am by risusinf »

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2018, 01:55:44 pm »

I apologize that I'm not very good at keeping up with this. Lots of things going on on my end.

I've done a lot of morphing of the tileset since my last post.

In my current/past few weeks agenda:

Make the numbers more like the letters
Make the letters more simple. I got rid of a lot of the fluff sarifs from before and a lot of the random smoothing from the CS inspiration so it has evolved into what I'm working with now.
I'm struggling with the number 1 and trying to represent it appropriately.
Trying to make fit 7 to the "flip number*/readable number" style hasn't been easy... I kinda like the new 7 but I could just be blinded from my poor perspective.

I apologize for not reverting back to the original ampersand as of yet (&). This new one is growing on me and I haven't found a good way to tweak it to make it look like how most people consider ampersands. The original ampersand was awkward and the thickness wasn't quite right, IMO. But I'll keep working at it.

Here is what I have so far. I apologize that it is not as stylized as the CS version, I just needed to take a step back to simplicity again :P

*By "flip number" I mean a number that behaves similarly to that of a digital clock. I've spent a lot of time trying to make numbers clock like just because of how many times numbers "flip" in game (FPS counter, Idlers counter, DFhack counters, liquid level counters, etc.) What I have now is kind of a median between legible numbers and flip numbers.

I apologize for apologizing so much.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2018, 05:55:55 pm »

And now for something relatively different...

Simple Mood Boxy Ascii

Simple Mood Smooth Ascii

So i guess my search has finally ended, here it is, the perfect balance between "looking good" and "stay classic". Thank you for this beautiful tileset, Rogue Yun. I am really tempted to switch to it. The one thing i would change is the dwarves symbols, for some reason i can only accept those that close enough to the original representation. Also old "&" works better for me and "@" feels off. Anyway, great stuff.

============

I thought i made it better. I dunno.

============

Theta/8 situation
============

A better 7 maybe.

I've made some other questionable "improvements", and then returned to the original curses tileset for some mad experiments. I guess i never will be fully satisfied.

Thank you for your great input. I was heavily influenced by it in my decision making. Sorry for the huge delay in acknowledging it!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:06:34 pm by Rogue Yun »

Seleucian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2018, 02:50:08 am »

I'm returning to DF to try out the new version. Going to use Simple Mood Smooth Ascii. Many thanks for the continued updates!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]