Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset  (Read 63191 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Simple Mood 16x16 Tileset
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:51 pm »

I was taken by a strange mood after being stung by a honey bee while changing one of my hives (seriously). This tileset is the result.

I am nothing if I am not heavily influenced by the skills and talents of others. This includes their awesome tilesets. I owe homage to Taffer, CowThing, Lemunde, Jack_Bread, Lord Dullard, Kenran, Teeto_K, etc. I like looking at what other people have done and it gives me a better understanding of things I can do to improve.

DF Version

ASCII Version

You can download the tileset, color scheme, installation instructions, and default init files from here

Screenshots (outdated):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My Color Scheme:

Legal Stuff: I'm placing this work in the public domain. (At least am attempting to). You are free to use and distribute this work any way you see fit. I'd still like to hear and see what you do with it, but you are welcome to do as you please.

Licence

Older Stuff, Including the 12x12 and 15x15 tilesets:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:06:29 am by Rogue Yun »

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Mood 12x12 and 16x16 Tileset
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:51:14 am »

Nice! I might try this out while I'm waiting for Phoebus to update. I prefer the full graphics packs but sometimes I'm in the mood for a more minimalistic style.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:16:44 am »

A little feedback on what I've seen so far. I'm using the 16x16 version. I noticed there's some significant differences between the two versions. I would actually recommend just calling each their own individual tileset. I'm thinking about trying out the 12x12 version too since it has some unique tiles that the other lacks.

One thing that struck me right off the bat is how difficult it is to see the dwarves. This could be remedied by filling it in with a translucent white color. Even if it's just barely visible it would make a significant difference. Darkening some of the punctuation icons could also help. Also the colors on the barrel icon should be inverted. For some reason DF uses the background color instead of the foreground color for barrels.

Other than that it looks great! The text is very easy to read and all of the icons are easy to distinguish from one another. And it's just generally pleasant to look at. I'll post some screenshots after I get a fort going.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »

Tileset Updated:

One thing that struck me right off the bat is how difficult it is to see the dwarves. This could be remedied by filling it in with a translucent white color. Even if it's just barely visible it would make a significant difference. Darkening some of the punctuation icons could also help. Also the colors on the barrel icon should be inverted. For some reason DF uses the background color instead of the foreground color for barrels.

Other than that it looks great! The text is very easy to read and all of the icons are easy to distinguish from one another. And it's just generally pleasant to look at. I'll post some screenshots after I get a fort going.

Thank you so much for the feedback! It is much appreciated! And I'd love to see someone elses screenshots! I can't build a fort worth beans! And the forts I do build all wind up looking the same. So seeing the tileset from someone else's game would be edifying beyond reason.

-I tried to make the dwarves more visible sticking to the simple 1bit theme. I don't know why I shackle myself like this but I think giving myself limitations helps me to see things that I didn't see before.
-I updated the "+" sign to be thicker. I did the same for the logs and the "-" sign. So that they could be matching/distinguishable as different.
-I did the same to the amulet/female symbol.
-I followed your advice and inverted the barrel. It looks much better now.

Thanks again! Your feedback was invaluable.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »

Ohh, I like where you're going with this.

I think giving myself limitations helps me to see things that I didn't see before.
I agree! Limiting yourself to something (a style, # of colors, amount of pixels, etc) definitely helps one improve his skills.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:25:38 pm »

This looks great! I've been using the 12x12 tileset for 2 days now, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Overall I don't have many problems with it, but here's a few changes I made, if you don't mind me posting them:

Link to edited image
(sorry that it's a pink background, I couldn't get transparency to work right)

-The cage symbol was a bit weird to me, so I made it 3 larger exclamation points instead of 5.
-The left/right and up/down arrows were different shapes, I made them uniform.
-I changed the "&" to a "evil creature" head, since I think those creatures are the only use of that tile.
-I prefer text to always be readable no matter what, so I changed the 'O' back to a normal 'O', and moved the pillar to tile 255. In d_init you can change the pillar and tree trunk tiles from 'O' to 255.
-This is just a personal preference, but I changed the fading tiles from dots to diagonal lines. The reason for this is because the dots would cause optical illusions sometime which hurt my eyes, I do like the dot pattern though, it just wasn't working for me.
-I inverted the barrel colors (which I now see you did as well).

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

This looks great! I've been using the 12x12 tileset for 2 days now, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Overall I don't have many problems with it, but here's a few changes I made, if you don't mind me posting them:

Link to edited image

-The cage symbol was a bit weird to me, so I made it 3 larger exclamation points instead of 5.
-I changed the "&" to a "evil creature" head, since I think those creatures are the only use of that tile.
-I prefer text to always be readable no matter what, so I changed the 'O' back to a normal 'O', and moved the pillar to tile 255. In d_init you can change the pillar and tree trunk tiles from 'O' to 255.
-This is just a personal preference, but I changed the fading tiles from dots to diagonal lines. The reason for this is because the dots would cause optical illusions sometime which hurt my eyes, I do like the dot pattern though, it just wasn't working for me.

I haven't actually been playing at all recently, but it strikes me as unlikely that it isn't used in text (or at least won't be). The Dwarf Fortress wiki agrees with you, though. Can anybody with more experience than me confirm this? Especially in regards to adventure mode conversations & necromancer books. Seems like a bit of a stretch that Toady hasn't (or won't) make use of a very common symbol in the English language. I'm curious about this.

So as not to derail the thread, however, I like this tileset. To quote myself:

I like your new Simple Mood tileset, by the way. It's a good design direction for simple, tiny graphics. I particularly like the logs, the tree/root/plant tiles, statues, tree leaves, skulls, weapon racks, and marsh tiles. I should have said so in the relevant thread sooner.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:23:29 pm by Taffer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:40:06 am »

Just to clarify, we're talking about '&', tile #038, right?
I haven't seen it being used in text at all, although the books I've seen were few. IIRC, phoebus and others use a tile that looks like a demon, too.
I'm more certain about '&' not being used for anything else than I am for #255, to be honest.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:46:27 pm »

Just to clarify, we're talking about '&', tile #038, right?
I haven't seen it being used in text at all, although the books I've seen were few. IIRC, phoebus and others use a tile that looks like a demon, too.
I'm more certain about '&' not being used for anything else than I am for #255, to be honest.

Yes. I should have been more clear. Fair enough! Thanks for the information.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:42 pm »

Link to edited image

I am very flattered! And I love what you've done! Many of the changes you made was exactly the direction I wanted to go! Would you mind if I took some of the things you have done kept on fiddling? You are welcome to take anything I've done and go with it! You seem to have a great eye for this. I am eventually going to make a second purer ascii and less graphic based 12x12 tileset.

CowThing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:25 pm »

I am very flattered! And I love what you've done! Many of the changes you made was exactly the direction I wanted to go! Would you mind if I took some of the things you have done kept on fiddling? You are welcome to take anything I've done and go with it! You seem to have a great eye for this. I am eventually going to make a second purer ascii and less graphic based 12x12 tileset.

Thank you! Yes, you can use those changes, I don't mind! I'm glad you like them. The mix of graphics and ASCII in the 12x12 tileset now is really nice, but of course having 2 versions would never hurt.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

16x16 Tileset Updated:

-I added thickness to some tiles, namely the "/" "\" "=" and the male symbol. I also made changes to the cent symbol.
-I made the yen symbol more ASCII and less graphic. Not that it is too important but I kind of want to stick to the theme. I'll make a more graphic 16x16 tileset later.

And thank you all for your support. It is nice to see Taffer and CLA post here. I am one of their many admirers.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 05:34:54 am »

As promised here's some pics of the tileset in action.

http://imgur.com/a/bO0re

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 09:06:22 am »

I made some adjustments myself, mostly to suit my own personal tastes. I changed the angled walls to slanted walls and added a subtle transparent background to make ground tiles more distinguishable from each other.

Also you should advise people to change their pillar tile to 10. The 'O' works but the tile at position 10 looks a lot better and I'm pretty sure it's not even being used anywhere else.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:28 am »

I made some adjustments myself, mostly to suit my own personal tastes. I changed the angled walls to slanted walls and added a subtle transparent background to make ground tiles more distinguishable from each other.

Also you should advise people to change their pillar tile to 10. The 'O' works but the tile at position 10 looks a lot better and I'm pretty sure it's not even being used anywhere else.

Tile 10 is used for the inside tile of very thick tree trunks. But it works well as both.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7